Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Separate from the LP file, I played a Master Sword Pedestal game over the last two days and it was a pretty interesting one. If anyone wants to give it a shot, here are the details:

Difficulty: Normal
Variation: Keysanity
Logic: No Glitches
Seed: 916591944
Goal: Master Sword Pedestal
Mode: Open

I forgot a screenshot but I beat it in about 4 hours with somewhere around 185/216 items collected. See if you can do better! It lured me into a false sense of security with some early obtains but I quickly found out that this run had a lot more meat to it. I'm kind of sad this isn't the LP run to be honest!

Hell, I'll try it! My last run was a blast and I've been planning to do a pedestal goal game for the next one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We're back with another recording session and we're joined this time by nine-gear crow, ChaosArgate, Tyty, Demerine and Ryushikaze for a total of seven idiots bumbling their way through the randomizer. Somehow, it works out?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is my memory going, or do you use the Quake medallion to open Turtle Rock in the regular game?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, the best part about the randomizer is how it goes “Oh, you say you know everything about this game? Ok then” and kicks your rear end. I always thought Southeast Death Mountain was entirely superfluous. There’s no items, no heart pieces, and no way to get to the top from there. Hell I don’t think I’ve been there since the game first came out. I had no idea there were so many chests there.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

C-Euro posted:

Is my memory going, or do you use the Quake medallion to open Turtle Rock in the regular game?

Yes, and Ether to open Misery Mire. They're randomized, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly, the best part about the randomizer is how it goes “Oh, you say you know everything about this game? Ok then” and kicks your rear end. I always thought Southeast Death Mountain was entirely superfluous. There’s no items, no heart pieces, and no way to get to the top from there. Hell I don’t think I’ve been there since the game first came out. I had no idea there were so many chests there.

I think its partly because youd filter all out all the rupee chests.
I know I defintely did.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 1, 2018

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Does "no glitches" still make you go through dark rooms? Because I think I've gotten everything possible in my keysanity run except the old man on Death Mountain and the dark rooms in Eastern Palace, and I have no Moon Pearl and no mirror to do anything in the dark world.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CirclMastr posted:

Does "no glitches" still make you go through dark rooms? Because I think I've gotten everything possible in my keysanity run except the old man on Death Mountain and the dark rooms in Eastern Palace, and I have no Moon Pearl and no mirror to do anything in the dark world.

No glitches requires no dark rooms. It's possible that something you need might be sitting on the the pyramid in dark world but more likely you missed something.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CirclMastr posted:

Do you have the Flute? The Flute lets you get to Death Mountain "in-logic", and the Lamp (E: or other progression) could be up there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm amazed at how much thinking goes into a given randomizer race. Good racers know the game inside and out, and they also have to think on their feet when they need a certain item to progress.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm amazed at how much thinking goes into a given randomizer race. Good racers know the game inside and out, and they also have to think on their feet when they need a certain item to progress.

Exactly. And it’s great because I have the Red Mail, Mirror Shield, and Golden Sword. I’ve beaten the Desert Palace, Tower of Hera, Thieve’s Town, and the Swamp Palace but that’s all I can do until I find the bow, Fire Rod or the Magic Cape to get Bombos with (it’s on that ledge in the Dark World you need the cape to get to). I hadn’t realized just how much a block being bowless can be.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

FPzero posted:

Separate from the LP file, I played a Master Sword Pedestal game over the last two days and it was a pretty interesting one. If anyone wants to give it a shot, here are the details:

Difficulty: Normal
Variation: Keysanity
Logic: No Glitches
Seed: 916591944
Goal: Master Sword Pedestal
Mode: Open

I forgot a screenshot but I beat it in about 4 hours with somewhere around 185/216 items collected. See if you can do better! It lured me into a false sense of security with some early obtains but I quickly found out that this run had a lot more meat to it. I'm kind of sad this isn't the LP run to be honest!

Oh god this one is evil. I stumbled around for a good hour just to get that last item to finish. I think beating Ganon would have been faster than getting the Pedestal the way stuff was placed.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Trizophenie posted:

Oh god this one is evil. I stumbled around for a good hour just to get that last item to finish. I think beating Ganon would have been faster than getting the Pedestal the way stuff was placed.

See what I mean about the false sense of security though? :mmmhmm: Yeah it's a bit of a rough one in places!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I forgot how to get a certain chest in Misery Mire and thought I needed a different item to get it (I didn't) and that chest had the bow in it.
I was stumbling around for hours trying to find a way to progress.
gently caress.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
This. Seed.

Well, I hope the mirror will finally lead me to the keys I'm missing. That's what I get for feeling cocky for stumbling into the red and blue medallions more or less by accident.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

frankenfreak posted:

This. Seed.

Well, I hope the mirror will finally lead me to the keys I'm missing. That's what I get for feeling cocky for stumbling into the red and blue medallions more or less by accident.

I was feeling pretty lost until I remembered that you can enter Zora's Domain if you already have the flippers, even without the Power Glove. Can't wait to see what else this has in store for me. So far it's been pretty rough.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm at a point where naming my character FUFP seem absolutely justified. :unsmigghh:

e: Yeah, remembering stuff is great! Such as the ledge with a key you can hookshot to in Swamp Palace's Big Chest room. That would have saved me literal hours of searching around for anything I could have missed elsewhere. FUFF would have been more appropriate. :suicide:

e2: It is done.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 2, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

One day, we will find the Palace of Darkness Big Key, but that day isn't today. In the meantime, we learn about many things, such as tree anatomy.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

FPzero posted:

Had a bit of a rough start, the rest was mostly trying and failing at making correct guesses. I should play more Keysanity.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's something oddly satisfying about conquering the Eastern Palace with the red mail, Golden Sword, mirror shield, and the Silver Arrows.

And there's something incredibly hilarious about Link scrounging his way across two worlds to find 3 pendants so he can pull 20 rupees out of a pedestal

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There's something oddly satisfying about conquering the Eastern Palace with the red mail, Golden Sword, mirror shield, and the Silver Arrows.

I used to avoid doing any dungeons in the NES Legend of Zelda until I had the white sword and blue ring at minimum, for similar reasons.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I used to avoid doing any dungeons in the NES Legend of Zelda until I had the white sword and blue ring at minimum, for similar reasons.

Recently I tried to do this in Link to the Past. I'd get the dungeon item and leave and then go back to kick all of the Dark World bosses' asses once I was an unstoppable force.

Turns out if you try this there's a bug that re-locks that first door in the Swamp Palace! I don't know how it was triggered but my game was unbeatable as a result.

I think this was the Wii VC version for what it's worth, but my memory isn't confident. Definitely not a cartridge though.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

On the other hand, there's also the satisfaction of defeating Helmasaurus with only 4 hearts, although doing Blind with only four might be beyond my physical and mental limits. (I'm currently attempting an almost* minimal route for the seed FPZero gave us. *=i.e. not going out of my way to pick up items that aren't on the minimum path or like in the chest right next to one that is)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mak0rz posted:

Recently I tried to do this in Link to the Past. I'd get the dungeon item and leave and then go back to kick all of the Dark World bosses' asses once I was an unstoppable force.

Turns out if you try this there's a bug that re-locks that first door in the Swamp Palace! I don't know how it was triggered but my game was unbeatable as a result.

I think this was the Wii VC version for what it's worth, but my memory isn't confident. Definitely not a cartridge though.

You can definitely do that on the actual cartridge because I've done that several times. Reverse boss order is also possible: run through grabbing items, complete Turtle Rock and then go backwards back to Palace of Darkness.

I haven't seen a bug that relocks doors in dungeons before, that may be a Wii VC-specific bug.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

frankenfreak posted:

On the other hand, there's also the satisfaction of defeating Helmasaurus with only 4 hearts, although doing Blind with only four might be beyond my physical and mental limits.

Blind's patterns are deterministic, so with a little practice you can get him to do the same thing every time. Just look at how good runners do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPPolAyRV0&t=3430s

He's essentially the easiest boss.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm just catching up on your LP, FP. Regarding figuring out how to get into Thieves' Town I vaguely recall a hint section in the game manual that says something along the lines of "If you're stuck try pulling on suspicious things!" or somesuch. I don't think an NPC hints to it at all. It also provides a hint on how to get the big key in Misery Mire because lord knows that would have stumped me for a while.

Xenoveritas posted:

You can definitely do that on the actual cartridge because I've done that several times. Reverse boss order is also possible: run through grabbing items, complete Turtle Rock and then go backwards back to Palace of Darkness.

I haven't seen a bug that relocks doors in dungeons before, that may be a Wii VC-specific bug.

Yeah I figured as much. I have no idea what the hell caused it. Oh well :shrug:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

tiistai posted:

Blind's patterns are deterministic, so with a little practice you can get him to do the same thing every time. Just look at how good runners do it.
That's cool. I also never knew he wasn't invincible while he's flashing until earlier today. My recipe used to be: get Titan's Mitt, get Tempered Sword, get as many hearts as possible, maybe do Ice Palace and get the Blue Mail, too, and only then fight Blind.

I still decided to loosen up my definition of "almost minimal" run further and incorporated some minor detours for additional hearts and upgrades into my route (probably for the better because the hokkubokkus and Eye Bridge in Turtle Rock would have been even more impossible for me). Even with having to iron out some kinks in the route on the fly, I knocked down the time to 2:22:37.18 with 81/216 item collection and 16 or 18 game overs (courtesy of Lanmolas, Blind, a hokkubokku and Eye Bridge).

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

frankenfreak posted:

That's cool. I also never knew he wasn't invincible while he's flashing until earlier today. My recipe used to be: get Titan's Mitt, get Tempered Sword, get as many hearts as possible, maybe do Ice Palace and get the Blue Mail, too, and only then fight Blind.

Blind is fine to fight with the Master Sword; neither the Tempered Sword nor the Golden Sword reduce the number of hits you need to kill him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Olesh posted:

Blind is fine to fight with the Master Sword; neither the Tempered Sword nor the Golden Sword reduce the number of hits you need to kill him.

Blind always takes exactly nine hits, regardless of the weapon. :eng101: Level 1-4 sword, hammer, Cane of Somaria, or Cane of Byrna, doesn't matter.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kyrosiris posted:

Blind always takes exactly nine hits, regardless of the weapon. :eng101: Level 1-4 sword, hammer, Cane of Somaria, or Cane of Byrna, doesn't matter.

Conversely, you need one of those items to fight Blind. No other weapon, not even the overpowered Silver Arrows, will damage him.

I think he's literally the only boss in the game the Silver Arrows can't hurt.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Materant posted:

Conversely, you need one of those items to fight Blind. No other weapon, not even the overpowered Silver Arrows, will damage him.

I think he's literally the only boss in the game the Silver Arrows can't hurt.

Moldorm and I think Mothula don't care about Silvers either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Something I've learned from watching randomizer streams is that the mails really aren't as good as they seem to be. The problem is that they don't reduce damage from spikes, fireballs, or (I think) lasers or lightning. Having mail against Blind will only help you from getting bodyslammed by him; it's similarly practically worthless against Mothula. Conversely, it's invaluable against Koldstare and Vitreous.

Vitreous is comically dangerous if you're underequipped. I've been watching people run in circles as this gigantic eyeball bounces along after them, trying to line up a hammer hit without getting bodied for 2 hearts of damage, and of course without getting cornered either. His last phase is trivial if you have the bow and enough arrows (hope you didn't use them all on his smaller eyes!), and nearly so if you have at least an L2 sword, but if you don't, be prepared for pain.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Bosses vulnerable to Silvers:

Armos Knights
Lanmolas
Helmasaur King (2nd phase)
Arrghus (2nd phase, but it's annoyingly precise)
Vitreous (main body requires two)
Ganon (final phase)

Basically it's only about half the bosses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Quite a lot of annoying dark world monsters are, like the Skull Woods mummies, those bumper dudes, and the bomb cyclopes on the overworld.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dis astranagant posted:

Quite a lot of annoying dark world monsters are, like the Skull Woods mummies, those bumper dudes, and the bomb cyclopes on the overworld.

The "bumper dudes" I assume are the red and blue armored squid looking things in Tower of Hera and a few Dark World dungeons? Those are easily the worst loving enemies in this entire game.

Gibdos are annoying but fire instantly kills them. I just Bombos an entire room if I have to deal with them at all. Probably only practical if you have 1/2 magic though.

As for hinox, come on they are probably the least threatening enemies of all. Just ignore them. Go around or dash through them or whatever. A single bomb will dispatch one if you're low on them (they drop a lot) but even then it's hardly worth your time to engage.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
And for our last fight, only one man can challenge the undying.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity: The Shadow Under Moscow
(Featuring Heavy Sigh, shinryu, word on the wind, dijondujour and Terror Van.)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That Shadow Man fight is insane, holy cow. It wouldn't be so bad if those explosions weren't one-shots. But it was all worth it to watch the mini robot masters die in 5 seconds. :v:

By the way, is this the last video or is there a little more to be seen? I only ask because I think once my Keysanity videos are finished I'm going to close out the thread but I don't want to close it prematurely if you still have content left on this game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is there something you have to do in-game to unlock that Shadow Man fight, or is it random?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Is there something you have to do in-game to unlock that Shadow Man fight, or is it random?

I think it was mentioned briefly at the end of the video: beat the whole game without dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FPzero posted:

By the way, is this the last video or is there a little more to be seen? I only ask because I think once my Keysanity videos are finished I'm going to close out the thread but I don't want to close it prematurely if you still have content left on this game.

Aw man, I've been really enjoying this thread. I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm glad it happened and I'm thankful for the efforts of everyone involved.

• Locked thread