Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

also it’s probably the only restaurant worth going to palo alto for, the hummus and pita is really loving good and everything else in palo alto has a terrible price to quality ratio

easier if you get paid in palo alto prices
printer's cafe on cal ave is pretty good for the money, again by palo alto standards
lots of good chinese food that's pretty affordable

that vegan chinese restaurant is way better than any vegan chinese restaurant has any right to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stymie posted:

you're a big boy, you can do math

i also just want to take a second to verify: folks aren't legitimately defending wikipedia, right? sometimes the ol irony meter gets thrown off

per the us census bureau, the first boomers turned 65 in 2011 which would mean that the oldest ones in 1980 would be 34

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

also it’s probably the only restaurant worth going to palo alto for, the hummus and pita is really loving good and everything else in palo alto has a terrible price to quality ratio

tofu house is good

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

is there anything that stymie actually likes, or thinks is cool and good?

he respects steve jobs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Caganer posted:

tofu house is good

does tofu house count as being in palo alto?

i can't stand it but i also know how to make that poo poo myself

banchan quality is just not there

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Ah gently caress, I really wanted to get some chickens but if its bougie poo poo now I'm out

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

go to the website, they're pretty huge on being israeli. like, import ingredients and peeps from israel and stuff

e: second page of the menu, for example

http://www.orenshummus.com/menu.html

look at that mediterranean schnitzel on the first page

internet password: abuhassan

Israeli arabs do exist

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

exploded mummy posted:

he respects steve jobs

steve jobs died how he lived: being a dumbass and drinking juice

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

found it! i found the sentence that beats "my doula makes the best kale chips"

:catstare:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

does tofu house count as being in palo alto?

i can't stand it but i also know how to make that poo poo myself

banchan quality is just not there

it's in the city of palo alto but down towards mv off el camino

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PCjr sidecar posted:

internet password: abuhassan

Israeli arabs do exist

yeah, sure

dobronsky is prolly not arabic tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

speaking of racist bar owner dress codes, i live right near the previous location of Hogan's on the Beach, a hulk hogan-themed bar, which had some fun dress code rules:

https://kitchenette.jezebel.com/hulk-hogans-restaurant-has-a-bugfuck-insane-racist-dres-1639865436

no do-rags or bandanas at hulk hogan's bar :allears:

Half of the bars in Arizona have a "no plain white t-shirts" policy, which I was confused about for a really long time until someone told me that plain white t-shirts are perceived to be a Mexican gang thing

I wouldn't have made that connection but I guess I'm insufficiently racist

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was once in line at a thrift store in AZ and the guy in front of me had a revolver on each hip and a little semiautomatic pistol strapped to his ankle

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Sagebrush posted:

Half of the bars in Arizona have a "no plain white t-shirts" policy, which I was confused about for a really long time until someone told me that plain white t-shirts are perceived to be a Mexican gang thing

Weird in the south that’s a sign of black gangs please don’t ban Dem Franchise Boyz bar owners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29ROmiGzHs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

hogan basically turned himself into a massive license whore because he's a pro wrestler with poor fiduciary skills and got divorced (see flair, ric)

don't think he actually did run it unless jimmy hart was involved (but hart isn't an actual manager, just his wrestling manager/hypeman)

so it really was just a licensing thing as opposed to scott steiner who actually bought a shoney's

also they always played edm even when hogan was there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXSHI02oQdk

100% positive jimmy hart was involved because he used to hang out there sometimes, my friends got a picture with him cuz they'd go there for lunch

e: according to a TBT article it's owned by the guy who owns the adjacent hotel, so i guess it is just a licensing thing, but i swear jimmy hart did legit hang out there a lot for some weird reason

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 4, 2018

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my boss got oren's hummus for a lab meeting and they wrote "10x chicken" on it cause he got 10 orders of chicken and somebody said "oh man we better dilute this chicken" and it was p funny anyway that's my oren's hummus story

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://skift.com/2018/03/03/united-gives-airline-employees-a-chance-to-win-100000-instead-of-bonuses/

quote:

United Continental Holdings Inc. is overhauling an incentive program to give employees a chance to win $100,000, a luxury car or a swanky vacation. One union leader says his membership would rather have a shot at bonuses that are far, far smaller — but also a much surer thing.

Under the new approach, one lucky winner will take home the six-figure cash prize every quarter, with as many as 10 people getting Mercedes-Benz C-Class sedans or $40,000 each, President Scott Kirby said in a memo to employees Friday. The program includes smaller awards as well. Workers need perfect attendance to participate. And the airline has to hit its performance targets.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol the contractor company my dad worked for before nasa just employed him directly had a bullshit "instead of actually paying you more how about these swell gifts!!" program where you earned rewards points that you could spend on incredibly cheap plastic poo poo

he saved em' up (because who cares) and then got the one not-poo poo thing, a carpet cleaner, and now my parents have the cleanest carpets ever because they have to make it worth it :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what’s the target number of doctors beaten up and dragged off airplanes?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Sagebrush posted:

I’ve seen bars have signs that said no fubu or timberlands. In NC , you can get hit up for membership crap for extra racism.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

sonatinas posted:

I’ve seen bars have signs that said no fubu or timberlands. In NC , you can get hit up for membership crap for extra racism.

what are the chances if a white male walks in wearing timberlands boots that nobody cares?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Penisface posted:

what are the chances if a white male walks in wearing timberlands boots that nobody cares?

now i wanna see some white guy dress up like hulk hogan and go around to bars that ban bandanas and film the responses

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

juche

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Ah gently caress, I really wanted to get some chickens but if its bougie poo poo now I'm out

nah man, go for it, toronto needs more backyard chickens

if i weren't 100% certain they'd be savaged nightly by the raccoons and the possum, i'd set up a coop here.

free fuckin' eggs man!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

internet explorer

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

i actually read some of the ideological founding books of juche and they're pretty clear that if you're not ethnic korean you basically are an unperson

so stymie, you better be korean

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

go to the website, they're pretty huge on being israeli. like, import ingredients and peeps from israel and stuff

e: second page of the menu, for example

http://www.orenshummus.com/menu.html

look at that mediterranean schnitzel on the first page

there’s this place in nola that wants you to know it’s israeli hummus that won “best restaurant in the country”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie likes the new DOOM, which is an absolutely correct position to have.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Quietly adding "bonuses" to the pile of things that the bright and young of the next generation should expect to be gone by the time they enter the job market.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

which generation are you in stymie

millennial af hth

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gently caress, literally came to post this

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
labour, skinny people

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

so you believe the baby boom happened from 1946 to 1952, and then generation x lasted 1953 to 1995. got it!

welp guess you can't do math, sorry for assuming

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

welp guess you can't do math, sorry for assuming

Your conditions were "majority of baby boomers were 40 or older in the 80s"

The baby boom starts in 46, so what's your alternative end date that allows for the group to be majority over 40 by 1989?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
just look up boomer on Wikipedia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

Your conditions were "majority of baby boomers were 40 or older in the 80s"

The baby boom starts in 46, so what's your alternative end date that allows for the group to be majority over 40 by 1989?

fishmech, i know it's hard for you to accept that generation x and millennials are very bad but the worst part is you don't have to believe me, the truth will out in the years to come

if having a rhetorical victory will make you feel better about it, i'd suggest adjusting your priorities

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
weaponizing fishmech's autism to troll everyone else in the thread is some of your best work stymie, but lets pace ourselves shall we?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the conventional understanding of generations is the stupidest loving poo poo

the boomer definition is just insanely broad. americans who grew up in the 50s / early 60s have a lot in common with each other: early cold war, early mass culture, post-war economic boom, strong labor, vietnam war, counterculture and reaction. people who were born in the late 50s / early 60s came of age in an almost totally world: the economic boom had slipped into recession, mass culture was fracturing, the cold war and viet nam seemed like they'd never end, and there was just this pervasively corrupt and cynical sheen to everything. somehow these people are grouped together because some of them might have had the same parents

the standard definition of millenials is literally based around 2000AD just to make the name seem better. a more sensible definition would be the people who were teenagers in that late-80s to early-00s late/post-cold-war but pre-mass-social-media era, kids who've probably grown up with video games or computers, suburb fatigue, prolonged american peace (gulf war aside), economic stability, and a sort of resurgence of mass culture (that dates a bit earlier but what can you do). these are people for whom 9/11 and the iraq war and eventually the financial crisis felt like a reversal, like the quiet sense of progress had come apart in some significant way. but again that group gets thrown in with a bunch of kids who've basically known nothing else and who've grown up in a world where an online social life is just this tremendously important thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

the baby boomer generation, which he is a member of