Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I didn't watch that the first time around - what the hell is going on with that siding? Were they planning to rockface the whole building and a bunch wasn't finished/fell off, or was it designed to look like some haphazard mutant merging or materials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It seems like they were trying to go for the look of old stucco revealing masonry underneath and well... ended up with that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It’s pretty common in McMansion construction to have a patch of field or flag stone so it looks like you bought a castle... sort of.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I've seen that a few places. They're clearly trying to recreate the look of older buildings, and did not understand -- or simply hoped the purchasers wouldn't understand -- that on the actual old houses stone is exposed when stucco falls off, rather than jutting out.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, I've seen that a few places. They're clearly trying to recreate the look of older buildings, and did not understand -- or simply hoped the purchasers wouldn't understand -- that on the actual old houses stone is exposed when stucco falls off, rather than jutting out.
Jumping straight to building houses before putting in any infrastructure suggests it was a scam from the very beginning or that they were extremely undercapitalized and going to fail regardless of the looming recession.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
It seems like an especially terrible place to rush ahead without roads. I'm imagining troubles from "It's rained the past two days and now nobody will come to work because they won't make it back up the mud hill" to "That last guy was an idiot, there's no way we can grade the road like that. The only option is to run the road through where that house is standing".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The guy in the video says two of the guys behind it ended up in jail for fraud and other financial crimes, so 'scam' seems right.

Apparently there was also supposed to be a luxury hotel and a water park?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Twinkie Czar posted:

It seems like an especially terrible place to rush ahead without roads. I'm imagining troubles from "It's rained the past two days and now nobody will come to work because they won't make it back up the mud hill" to "That last guy was an idiot, there's no way we can grade the road like that. The only option is to run the road through where that house is standing".

You're exactly right, that's what happens on that red Ozark clay. I grew up about 100 miles east of where those houses are, and the geology of the place is nothing but clay and rust as far as the eye can see.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

Jumping straight to building houses before putting in any infrastructure suggests it was a scam from the very beginning or that they were extremely undercapitalized and going to fail regardless of the looming recession.

I was unclear. I was referring to local houses with the same ugly exterior treatment, not this set of homes by Totally Not A Scam, Guys, LLC.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Very crappy construction indeed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Zil posted:

Very crappy construction indeed.

Guess someone didn't care for squat toilets.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

hey, if it works it's not crappy

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sadistic.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

I dont understand.... is that one high open space on the inside?

It cant be 5 stories cause the floor thickness would be 4"... or maybe I have the scale all out of wack.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
:stonk:

:confused:

:smugbert:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Two trees enter, no tree leaves.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

well yeah they are evergreen and have needle

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Dave posted:

It seems like they were trying to go for the look of old stucco revealing masonry underneath and well... ended up with that.
It's like a house with skin cancer.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDevd7O2fq8

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Secure storage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bozart posted:

well yeah they are evergreen and have needle

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

Secure storage.

Now I want to do this, but the drawers pull out at an unexpected angle, like straight toward the camera here.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Sump pump float drilled into he own outflow pipe

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Now I want to do this, but the drawers pull out at an unexpected angle, like straight toward the camera here.

Can't find a picture right now, but I've seen drawers like that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MisterOblivious posted:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MisterOblivious posted:

got u fam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SOOpEXsjc

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Going to make those for my kitchen corner. I hate the drat spinner in the corner that is so popular.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kid sinister posted:

Secure storage.

Is that like a temporary wall, like when a hotel splits the penthouse/honeymoon suite into multiple rooms?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Those spoons are OFF LIMITS

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

That's the one! All I could find were the type Metal Geir Skogul posted.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is that like a temporary wall, like when a hotel splits the penthouse/honeymoon suite into multiple rooms?

I'm guessing commercial space. Classroom or break room.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm guessing commercial space. Classroom or break room.

If it’s a classroom then I would put money on them having left the remote for the projector in that drawer when they blocked it shut..

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm

https://i.imgur.com/8OY6w3y.mp4

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There's something really off about that video. Everyone seems too chill about it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

MisterOblivious posted:

That's the one! All I could find were the type Metal Geir Skogul posted.

It is amazing that an unlisted youtube video has over 300k views.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jaded Burnout posted:

There's something really off about that video. Everyone seems too chill about it.

It's fake, or from a commercial or something. Either way, it's staged.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's almost certainly staged. There are three different videos around of the incident, including this longer one that is a POV from someone who sounds like an actor.

It's mainly a giveaway that the camera manages to move perfectly so often - if you are startled or surprised you often jump or twitch, you rarely keep your camera so well framed on the action. It's believably in a stationary camera that might happen to be in the right spot, but very suspect in moving footage.

(random side note: During war reels they would often stage shots of explosions/shelling to be used, because even with reporters deployed and actually capturing combat footage, it was very rare to get useable footage of an actual shot - in the rare event that the framing happened to be right, it would almost always be ruined by the reactions of the cameraman. Whenever you see that footage with a clean shot of a shell blast, it's almost certainly staged and cut in)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jaded Burnout posted:

http://archive.doobybrain.com/2008/03/19/cable-crashing-through-glass-doors-is-microsoft-viral-video/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://gfycat.com/RareDeepHarrier

They needed either a better plan or a much longer log