Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Looks like Polyhero put up their poll for what dice set they should do next along with some concept images of the dice they might make.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/polyherodice/polyhero-dice-rogue-set/posts/2125380

Hopefully Bard will win. I wanna see dumb musical instrument dice :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FirstAidKite posted:

Looks like Polyhero put up their poll for what dice set they should do next along with some concept images of the dice they might make.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/polyherodice/polyhero-dice-rogue-set/posts/2125380

Hopefully Bard will win. I wanna see dumb musical instrument dice :D

I want to see how many faces they can get on a lute

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

OgreNoah posted:

So are there any Kickstarters up right now that don't look like poo poo? I try to follow this thread but it's about 100% complaining (rightfully) about awful games.

Liminal RPG cropped up on my radar recently. Looks to be a compact urban fantasy RPG in the vein of Rivers of London and Dresden Files and whatnot. The mechanics are simple and nothing to write home about (2d6 + Skill + notFeats vs Target Number) but the overall pitch seems like it's got enough focus that I'm still interested.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Moon Monster posted:

Inspector Gadget is dadpunk
Gadget is Penny's uncle though, wouldn't that make it punkle?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

oriongates posted:

Sandlepunk

I have no idea how this would work but gently caress it, I'd like to see it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

oriongates posted:

Sandlepunk

What are thooooose?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
reedpunk. Fiction set in a world where all advanced technology is based off woven reeds.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kidpunk - basically the tech from the show Kids Next Door

Henker
May 5, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Are there any board games out there that did what stuff like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. did and made a game out of playing as public domain characters teaming up to fight off evil?

Rise of Moloch seems like the closest fit. It's not even out yet so I don't know if it's good.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Inspector Gadget is dadpunk

Wowsers!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Mode 7 posted:

I have no idea how this would work but gently caress it, I'd like to see it.

Could work as very clunky sort of clockpunk, based on stuff like the antikythera mechanism. Very big, chunky gear mechanisms, possibly even muscle powered. Talos-style mecha who are "wound up" manually by slaves before being sent out. Trojan Horse wasn't a trick, it was a war machine full of burly greeks working huge wheels to make it run. Final boss is the Colossus of Rhodes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hostile V posted:

Gadget is Penny's uncle though, wouldn't that make it punkle?

So I guess that's Inspector Gadget & Gravity Falls, then?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Max Headroom, what sort of -punk was that? Blank Reg was a literal punk of course. The computers all had tiny monitors and weird 1960s typewriters for keyboards, it was intentionally retrofuture even in the 1980s when it came out, except of course for Max himself being artificial AI, and it's set in a society that looks really grungy etc. The corporate control, lack of strong government, societal decay, and rebellion and the consequences of it, were all central themes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Leperflesh posted:

Max Headroom, what sort of -punk was that? Blank Reg was a literal punk of course. The computers all had tiny monitors and weird 1960s typewriters for keyboards, it was intentionally retrofuture even in the 1980s when it came out, except of course for Max himself being artificial AI, and it's set in a society that looks really grungy etc. The corporate control, lack of strong government, societal decay, and rebellion and the consequences of it, were all central themes.

I think we've circled back round to Cyberpunk, those are basically the same themes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Hackers is extremely modempunk and rad as hell.

Alien is spacecrtpunk.

Max Headroom is either modempunk, cyberpunk, or piratebroadcastpunk.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Shakes the Clown was a pretty revolutionary movie for the Clownpunk genre.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
if you want word for asthetic but don't want to missuse punk use tech

steamtech- fun victorian optimism

steampunk- coal miners with robo arms from dangerous working conditions rising up against the fake victorian optimism.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I want a martial arts punk thing where instead of learning secret techniques from some old sage, the protagonist instead just buys a gun, from the gun store.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bedlamdan posted:

I want a martial arts punk thing where instead of learning secret techniques from some old sage, the protagonist instead just buys a gun, from the gun store.

That's Indiana Jones-punk, or more generally, archeologitech

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Instead of a training montage, you just see the protagonist doing goofy poo poo like getting ice cream or going to theme parks. And at the end, he just goes to Al's Shotgun Hut, buys a shotgun off the rack, and then guns down the main villain who was unarmed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the later Death Wish movies is basically that. Charles Bronson moves to a crime infested neighborhood, so he mail orders a gun. What follows after it arrives is poo poo like, he walks around carrying an expensive camera, a guy runs up and grabs it and runs away, Bronson slowly takes out his gun, lines up the shot, and kills the guy. And then walks off, leaving the dead guy and the camera lying in the street.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I like the old GURPS usage of -prep as the opposite of -punk along the political tone/technological optimism axis.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the later Death Wish movies is basically that. Charles Bronson moves to a crime infested neighborhood, so he mail orders a gun. What follows after it arrives is poo poo like, he walks around carrying an expensive camera, a guy runs up and grabs it and runs away, Bronson slowly takes out his gun, lines up the shot, and kills the guy. And then walks off, leaving the dead guy and the camera lying in the street.

I think that's the same one where Counselor Troi gets raped on-screen.

E: Which is quite the tangent, so let's leave it at that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Thranguy posted:

I like the old GURPS usage of -prep as the opposite of -punk along the political tone/technological optimism axis.

Yeah, I liked the alternate notion of "what if cybernetics and the net made things better instead of dehumanizing society"? Though it kind of ends up sounding like the shallow end of the steampunk pool, it at least avoids a lot of the historical context that makes it too often distasteful. Which makes me think that would be an interesting take on the shallow steampunk setting as well, a setting where the discovery of some technology turns countries away from colonialism and the like and pushes social evolution forward more quickly, but I suppose that's hard to do without coming across as apologism.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Transhumanism is what you're looking for there. The Culture is the end state.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Man, I just want a lengthy and dramatic Martial Arts rivalry to end with an anticlimactic shotgun blast. It doesn’t need to be complicated!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

it's very cool they're reviving this franchise for regular people to have a normal one at

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think we've circled back round to Cyberpunk, those are basically the same themes.

Max Headroom is definitely of cyberpunk extraction, especially given its vintage.

I'm not convinced that 'modempunk' needs to be a thing any more than 'dieselpunk', given that the movement started in and around the early eighties, and that some of the literature reflects that in odd little anachronisms. But that's me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

it's very cool they're reviving this franchise for regular people to have a normal one at

Death Wish 3 is a wonderful movie which I rewatch several times but Eli Roth is a ghoul whose baleful touch corrupts everything about old cool violent movies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Plutonis posted:

Death Wish 3 is a wonderful movie which I rewatch several times but Eli Roth is a ghoul whose baleful touch corrupts everything about old cool violent movies.

The funniest thing Tarantino has ever done was have Eli Roth direct the uber violent literally-only-Nazis-could-love-it film within a film in Inglorious Basterds.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The funniest thing Tarantino has ever done was have Eli Roth direct the uber violent literally-only-Nazis-could-love-it film within a film in Inglorious Basterds.

I thought it was meant to be a Nazified pastiche of Audie Murphy and To Hell and Back

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
What would Nazipunk be like

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

YouTube.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Bedlamdan posted:

Man, I just want a lengthy and dramatic Martial Arts rivalry to end with an anticlimactic shotgun blast. It doesn’t need to be complicated!

Feng Shui does this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Wolfenstein, I assume.

Or any other mad science high tech nazi thing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

Green Room.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

You know what that is fair, the original Death Wish series was just typical for the time "THE CITIES ARE MAD HOUSES IF ONLY A HERO WOULD RISE (and kill everyone)". Problematic elements to that whole concept, but not exactly uniquely bad compared to its peers.

Eli is just straight up making it into 'look at this cool jacked guy murdering minorities fuckin awesome right guys?!' At least Bronson was supposed to be an everyman old fart who gets pushed too far.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Skrewdriver

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

You know what that is fair, the original Death Wish series was just typical for the time "THE CITIES ARE MAD HOUSES IF ONLY A HERO WOULD RISE (and kill everyone)". Problematic elements to that whole concept, but not exactly uniquely bad compared to its peers.

Eli is just straight up making it into 'look at this cool jacked guy murdering minorities fuckin awesome right guys?!' At least Bronson was supposed to be an everyman old fart who gets pushed too far.

At least with the Punisher, most writers make no bones about how Frank is a deeply broken person who is stuck trying to kill the people he already murdered ages ago.

Punisher MAX was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

i mean in the original death wish the first time bronson kills a dude he runs home and throws up. he then proceeds to just lure criminals into situations where he would be "justified" in killing them. by the end of the movie he's just a soulless monster and clearly knows it. the novel is even more clear about it, but the writer still had to go back and write another book to underline the point.

the movie sequels are where it all goes off the rails of course