Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

Finally grabbed an ASR10. Super minty, cant believe its 25+ years old (made 12/16/92)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lena Dunham posted:

Finally grabbed an ASR10. Super minty, cant believe its 25+ years old (made 12/16/92)

nooooice!

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Lena Dunham posted:

That beast is so loaded with features, it even has polyphonic aftertouch on the keyboard. Schweet!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

That thing looks like somebody bought it and then kept it under a dust cover for the past 25 years, dang.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shugojin posted:

That thing looks like somebody bought it and then kept it under a dust cover for the past 25 years, dang.
Yeah, wow. The keys aren't even stained yellow!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lena Dunham posted:

Did this come from a time machine?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I walked into a store to see if they had marked down a bass I was looking at. Instead I saw they had one of the rosewood George Harrison Telecasters from last year, so now I have a rosewood Telecaster.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Shiroc posted:

I walked into a store to see if they had marked down a bass I was looking at. Instead I saw they had one of the rosewood George Harrison Telecasters from last year, so now I have a rosewood Telecaster.

Great decision

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Double posted in the wrong thread....

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

so you literally think i can't lay a guitar down to take a picture? it's not even an interesting troll, I give it like a C.

Trust me. It's a thing. 100%. Never underestimate this or you're going to have a very bad day in your future.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

H13 posted:

Trust me. It's a thing. 100%. Never underestimate this or you're going to have a very bad day in your future.
This is my 3rd Gibson Les Paul, let's assume I can handle the pressure. The headstock is not supporting the weight of the guitar because I understand how weight distribution and geometry work. If you lay your Les Paul down and the weight of the guitar is supported by the headstock, get your money back, because the neck is warped beyond all reason.

Geez, you try to post a picture of a nice sunburst around here.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 26, 2018

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
FruitPants knows all about weight distribution from all that oval iRacing - and from attempting to survive GoonCar races.

Not mine exclusively, but my band just purchased a digital mixer and a bunch of lights. We may have gone slightly overboard since we don't have the cash to buy a batch of shirts as planned, but our gear discount avenue was going to disappear so we grabbed some extras.

Soundcraft Ui24r - it's like living in the future!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is my 3rd Gibson Les Paul, let's assume I can handle the pressure. The headstock is not supporting the weight of the guitar because I understand how weight distribution and geometry work. If you lay your Les Paul down and the weight of the guitar is supported by the headstock, get your money back, because the neck is warped beyond all reason.

Geez, you try to post a picture of a nice sunburst around here.

https://imgur.com/a/ZBjrx

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my headstock breaking overnight while it was standing in a rack.

According to the luthier who fixed it, he reckons that the guitar must've copped a knock somewhere, gave it a hairline fracture and over time, due to the wonderful angle of the headstock and the wood grain and the string tension, slowly been growing until it eventually gave way.

No, your headstock won't snap off randomly when it's laying on the ground, but is it possibly contributing to a flaw in the headstock\neck? Probably...

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

H13 posted:

https://imgur.com/a/ZBjrx

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my headstock breaking overnight while it was standing in a rack.

According to the luthier who fixed it, he reckons that the guitar must've copped a knock somewhere, gave it a hairline fracture and over time, due to the wonderful angle of the headstock and the wood grain and the string tension, slowly been growing until it eventually gave way.

No, your headstock won't snap off randomly when it's laying on the ground, but is it possibly contributing to a flaw in the headstock\neck? Probably...

just wanted to point out a slight nitpick in your imgur post- gibson is famous for refusing to use scarf joints for headstocks, or a volute for reinforcement, which is why they tend to snap in a mild breeze

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

just wanted to point out a slight nitpick in your imgur post- gibson is famous for refusing to use scarf joints for headstocks, or a volute for reinforcement, which is why they tend to snap in a mild breeze

Aren't many of the aspects of the basic design at fault? Neck/headstock angle. Softer wood choice (Mahogany instead of maple). Not re-enforcing the neck joint. Also perpetuating the idea that making things exactly like they were in ~1954 gets you the best possible tone. Meaning they can never change that design without committing tonal heresy.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Volute hate is the most baffling thing to me. Every guitar I've owned has had a volute and none of them have been more than barely noticeable in open position (I actually like that -- it's a nice positive indicator that you're at the end of the neck.)

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I think part of the problem is that people still associate what Gibson did in the eighties with it not being a 'real deal' or of lesser quality. When they added volutes to the necks back in the seventies and eighties people hated them, when they switched to maple as a neck wood the guitars didn't sell. They tried to bring back both on their budget options a few years ago which didn't sell either and were heavily discounted just a year or so after introduction.

This isn't too say this is the customers fault, not at all, because another part of the problem is Gibson's marketing/development. They've basically been courting the expensive, '50's-burst-or-nothing' crowd for so long that any attempts they make at a budget model don't really reach those who would actually see the value in different features or don't get the development time they deserve. There was huge buzz for the firebird/sg zero because they were actually affordable Gibsons, but when everyone saw what a mess the bridge situation was it pretty much proved where Gibson's priorities lie.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Chip McFuck posted:

the expensive, '50's-burst-or-nothing' crowd
Please be advised, this set off my "someone is talking about you on the internet" chrome extension.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Brought the Hamer home and put on new strings. What looked like taped off and unstained maple in the store turns out to be actual binding. Pickups aren't terrible at a quick listen, but that was also through a lovely little amp since I don't feel like pissing off the neighbors. I kind of want to change them just because I think it would look better with a pair of zebra coils. Letting it sit overnight, then I'll check the neck, string heights and intonation. So far it's about right, but it also had what felt like 9s and I went up to 10s.

For $150 it's pretty awesome.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I almost forgot about this, considering it's been on back order for a month.

It sounds great, and despite the name, if I mess around with the settings enough, I can get the guitar to sound like a small pipe organ.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I had mentioned in the other thread that I wanted to put P90s in a strat. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do humbucker sized p90s, strat sized p90s, or get a new pickguard and put in soapbars. I ended up doing the .

I pulled a pair of Mean 90s out of one of my other guitars and put it into one of my strats. And I found a SD Quarter Pound pickup on Reverb for a pretty good price. Install them both over the last two days. Also, bonus shot of my Korean made Hamer, which is where I pulled the Mean 90s from. They just weren't giving me what I was looking for there.

They both sound great under the right amp settings. Although I think that I just tend to like neck pickups in general much better than bridge unless there is an appropriate amount of gain. But P90s take gain well, so no worries there. I don't have a great ear for these things, but I would say the QP makes me think of a tele bridge pickup more so than a p90. However, I don't actually own a tele and never have, so take that with a grain of salt. Overall, I am a bit underwhelmed by the QP, but I like it more than a typical single coil bridge. So its a good start. Might try it out in the neck and see if a tapped QP in the neck would be worth looking into also.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Dementropy posted:

I almost forgot about this, considering it's been on back order for a month.

It sounds great, and despite the name, if I mess around with the settings enough, I can get the guitar to sound like a small pipe organ.

EH is probably my favorite pedal company these days. They have so much cool poo poo. I’d like to eventually get the electric piano and organ pedals. I am also thinking of upgrading my Freeze pedal but I don’t know yet. I nodded it to use the sustain pedal from a keyboard and that works well but they have a more advanced version (I forget the name) that looks interesting.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

rio posted:

EH is probably my favorite pedal company these days. They have so much cool poo poo. I’d like to eventually get the electric piano and organ pedals. I am also thinking of upgrading my Freeze pedal but I don’t know yet. I nodded it to use the sustain pedal from a keyboard and that works well but they have a more advanced version (I forget the name) that looks interesting.

I have one EHX pedal, the Bass Big Muff, and it’s easily my favorite pedal so far.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I gotta try that new Green Russian Muff. Been thinking about getting an octave pedal too, and the Pitchfork looks pretty cool.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EHX is awesome. I love my Big Muff, Soul Food and Neo Clone

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love the Soul Food not only because it's cute and small, but also because every time one of my musician friends contemplates in splurging on a Klon Clone, I tell them "dude, for less than 2000 pesos, you can get the exact same "sound" from Electro Harmonix". It's like almost a 100% proper replica, and for about 1500 pesos (a little less than 80 dollars). You can buy the fucker across multiple stores around town. Same goes for the Tube Screamer: You can get an EHX East-River Drive for 1300 pesos (around 67 dollars?). I actually want to film an honest-to-god "shoot-out" with my actual Klon Centaur and my Soul Food so that people can go "Huh. They sound exactly the same".

Hell, if EHX released a copy of the OCD, I would probably use that instead of the real McCoy, and I LOVE my OCD. So yeah, long live EHX.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i love my soul food too but gently caress ehx for cheaping out on the pots

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
EHX have released a clone of the OCD, they called it the Glove ;)

But yeah, EHX is just loving great in general.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

But yeah, EHX is just loving great in general.

obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI0wnv_oMr0

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just built a Tone Bender MKII and holy poo poo it sounds amazing, so thick and angry. Of course EHX makes a clone for $60US. I gotta go try one and compare.

edit: nevermind, should've known it's a Maestro FZ-1 clone and not a Tone Bender since the Maestro is what Keith Richards used lol.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/04/ehx-satisfaction-fuzz.html

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 4, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I forget that Matthews is a little bit out there.

syntaxfunction posted:

EHX have released a clone of the OCD, they called it the Glove ;)
I'm so loving on it! Next paycheck I get I'm ordering two. :dance:

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i love my soul food too but gently caress ehx for cheaping out on the pots
Yeah, pobody's nerfect. :(

But yeah: Between EHX and Joyo, getting cheap but rad pedals is super easy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BTW, the Soul Food sounds noticeably different from a Klon but it has the same overall vibe. The bass contour mod for the Soul Food really makes it super rad, though. Kinda surprised EHX doesn't have it built-in as it's not terribly expensive to do (it's a pot and a capacitor).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Soul Food sounds great by itself, but it also sounds huge and killer driving a Big Muff too

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

BTW, the Soul Food sounds noticeably different from a Klon but it has the same overall vibe. The bass contour mod for the Soul Food really makes it super rad, though. Kinda surprised EHX doesn't have it built-in as it's not terribly expensive to do (it's a pot and a capacitor).

Is there anything to do on the Bass Soul Food?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Eh, it does the same "transparent Boost" thing that the Klon, and it doesn't cost the same as a good but beat-up, used guitar. As far as I'm concerned, it's the bee's knees in a box. :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sockington posted:

Is there anything to do on the Bass Soul Food?

People swap out the silicon clipping diodes for germanium but I don't hear much difference (musically, germaniums sound a bit "darker") honestly.

Wark Say posted:

Eh, it does the same "transparent Boost" thing that the Klon, and it doesn't cost the same as a good but beat-up, used guitar. As far as I'm concerned, it's the bee's knees in a box. :)

Yep! The Soul Food is awesome.

Fuzz Boxer
Apr 28, 2007

sticking with whatever fails

widefault posted:

Not home yet, but found this at the pawnshop. Early 90's Korean Hamer "Slammer Series" in transparent cherry. Equivalent to the USA Special FM from what I can tell. Set neck, mahogany back and neck with a thick flame maple top. The "binding" is the unstained edge of the maple top, which I have not seen on the USA models. Really needs a setup, but otherwise great shape.

The Korean "Slammer Series" have a pretty good reputation from what little info I can find, and for $150 it seems worth it to me.

I had a flame top one of these, never saw a cherry one. Was well made and pretty sweet tone, never should have traded it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Got it on Friday and finished cleaning and re-stringing it early this morning. It is a 1990 Yamaha BB5000a with wide string spacing. A narrow version also was made. Yamaha was offering 24 fret neck-thru versions of its Broad Bass series from the mid 1980s until the early 90s. No issues with this one's active circuitry besides a bit of noise when adjusting the volume but that could just mean I need to clean that potentiometer a bit more.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Got it on Friday and finished cleaning and re-stringing it early this morning. It is a 1990 Yamaha BB5000a with wide string spacing. A narrow version also was made. Yamaha was offering 24 fret neck-thru versions of its Broad Bass series from the mid 1980s until the early 90s. No issues with this one's active circuitry besides a bit of noise when adjusting the volume but that could just mean I need to clean that potentiometer a bit more.

Nice. I want one. I like the color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I love those Yamaha BBs. Super underrated basses.

I continued my distortion addiction by ordering a Broughton Sunder Fuzz:

I'm hoping it'll replace the Blower Box as my high gain pedal of choice. I like the BB, but it takes a lot of tweaking to get it to sound good on bass.