Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Azuth0667 posted:

Assimilate them.

They are assimilated! That's the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Someone posted a mod a while back containing this flag icon: https://imgur.com/LCF5IlD

What mod was it, anyone know?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

paperwind posted:

As I was fighting a war yesterday, somehow a single enemy corvette bugged out. My fleet could follow it around but the fleet combat menu never came up and I couldn't do any damage to it. The bugged enemy corvette, on the other hand, could do damage to me and my starbases.

I just let it do its thing until I ended the war.

I actually saw something similar, except it was an AI corvette bugged out fighting Void Clouds. (The void clouds were not shooting back at all.)

Of course, the clouds were regenerating faster than the AI could damage them, so presumably the AI will give up at some point.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Did 2.0 break empire generation? Three games in a row now, 90% of all normal AI empires are one of three personality types: Hegemonic Imperialists, Honorbound Warriors, and Slaving Despots.

This (1) makes the game safe, predictable, and boring; and (2) makes it impossible to form a federation, as all three personalities have heavy maluses to joining one.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 4, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

How so with respect to the biological ascension path? The capstone modifications you can do seemed fairly tame compared to what you can get from either psionic or synthetic ascensions.

if you're really into pop micro, bio ascension has slightly bigger tile production than the other two because every type of resource has two or more traits that can stack. overall, though, synthetic ascension is much less trouble for only slightly less production, and psionic has the crazy stuff like psi jump drives (psi jump drives only have a 20 day cooldown, they're game-breakingly strong), so i'd only go bio ascension as a small empire that needs every possible edge

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 4, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Did 2.0 break empire generation? Three games in a row now, 90% of all normal AI empires are one of three personality types: Hegemonic Imperialists, Honorbound Warriors, and Slaving Despots.

This (1) makes the game safe, predictable, and boring; and (2) makes it impossible to form a federation, as all three personalities have heavy maluses to joining one.

There was a bug with AI personality weights in 2.0, it's supposedly fixed in the 2.0.2 beta.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

My 2.0 game has been a giant love-in, full of pacifists, egalitarians, and xenophiles. There's been literally one war: my Federation piling on a bunch of hegemonic imperialists, to change their ways.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

GunnerJ posted:

Someone posted a mod a while back containing this flag icon: https://imgur.com/LCF5IlD

What mod was it, anyone know?

It's in http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=923962024

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Same. In the first game I played I set up a network of bastions around every wormhole and a gateway network to connect all my shipyards and bastions so I could rapidly respond to any attack, and it all came to nothing because the only time I ever got attacked it was by pitiful fleets in my fringe regions.

use Glavius's Ultimate AI and maybe Enhanced AI, with high AI aggressiveness ingame and maybe hard mode also. the unmodded, normal mode AI simply cannot provide a challenge to an experienced Paradox or 4X player - if you build your planets up sensibly and expand until you run out of empty space, you'll always win because they often don't do either of those things.

Pylons posted:

I hope they do something to make carriers viable again. They're my favorite thing, thematically, but I just can't justify them with the way things are now.

i use amoeba + PD + small guns picket carriers as my PD screen, but otherwise yeah.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there any way to check your like seed settings once you're in the game? Like I forget if I set the AI to aggressive or not, if I did large/huge etc....

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

if you're really into pop micro, bio ascension has slightly bigger tile production than the other two because every type of resource has two or more traits that can stack. overall, though, synthetic ascension is much less trouble for only slightly less production, and psionic has the crazy stuff like psi jump drives (psi jump drives only have a 20 day cooldown, they're game-breakingly strong), so i'd only go bio ascension as a small empire that needs every possible edge

But you can only do modifications on a planet by planet basis which means you probably don't want to nerve staple an entire planet for the mineral output for example.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

But you can only do modifications on a planet by planet basis which means you probably don't want to nerve staple an entire planet for the mineral output for example.

that's what resettlement after you nerve staple the whole planet is for!

like i said, if you really, really enjoy pop micro, it's the one for you

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Awesome, thanks.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Dallan Invictus posted:

There was a bug with AI personality weights in 2.0, it's supposedly fixed in the 2.0.2 beta.

The screenshot is from 2.0.2. e: and, to be clear, I started both this game and the last one in 2.0.2. I started one in 2.0 that had the same issue.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 4, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

hobbesmaster posted:

I've played enough SMAC to consider "Nerve stapling the entire population" to be not only a viable option but indeed a reasonable first response, even pre-emptive measure, to take.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

This is why you have a nerve stapling retirement habitat.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

also you do modifications on both a planet-by-planet and species-by-species basis - i.e. "mod all blorg on planet x into super-blorg", so actually for a slave society that consistently has just two species on a planet - overlords and slaves - the micro isn't really any more intense than normal. i never play authoritarians so it didn't occur to me at first, but slavers definitely get the most out of biological ascension

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Would anyone happen to know the war goal ids for the war console command? Because I want to declare war on the machine fallen empire, but there's no option to do so and if I finish off the Contingency they'll go away, taking all their delicious tier six tech with them.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. For future reference though Wiz, the help command isn't very helpful if it doesn't give you the ids for anything.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 4, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm researching the naval capacity tech and my naval capacity doesn't seem to be going up. It's happened twice now. Is there some other cap?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's both Naval Capacity and Fleet Capacity caps. Are you looking at the same one you researched an increase for?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also there is a hard cap of 1,000 to naval capacity and 200 to fleet command.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

hobbesmaster posted:

Speak for yourself, the drones of Mining Node A know what they like and like what they know, and it's all mining all the time.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

IAmTheRad posted:

They are assimilated! That's the problem.

I didn't think cyborgs could become spiritualist.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Speak for yourself, the drones of Mining Node A know what they like and like what they know, and it's all mining all the time.

My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So I was thinking - why is armageddon bombing so horrible that only a purifier can do it, meanwhile even a pacifist empire can whip up a planet cracker or neutron beams? Plus, in a game where expansion is punished, xeno pops are a liability and you invade more to limit the enemy than take new territory, all but the most friendly of empires are pretty much encouraged to crack (or shield) enemy planets to deny them from your enemy instead of increase your unity/research costs, it's suddenly the most effective for everyone to behave in a purifier-ish manner, and using armies in general just seems like a really awful idea and a waste of time over just erasing planets/pops.

I feel like apocalypse diluted fanatic purifiers a bit, Armageddon bombing being exclusively theirs doesn't really fit as far as things go. I almost wonder if it would have fit better if planet cracker colossi required a point in xenophobe or if there was more incentive to take planets instead of destroy/shield them.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Another niche issue I ran into with the biological ascension- Xenophobe supremacy factions are very big on everybody in the empire being the same species as them, including subspecies. Attempting to compensate for Fanatic Purifiers being stuck on one planet type by creating a subspecies each for cold/dry/wet will cost you a whole lot of faction-happiness and influence. I couldn't even do anything about the 8 pops out of several hundred who self-modified to bring them back into line, because self-determination matters more than Racial Purity. :argh:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

darthbob88 posted:

Another niche issue I ran into with the biological ascension- Xenophobe supremacy factions are very big on everybody in the empire being the same species as them, including subspecies. Attempting to compensate for Fanatic Purifiers being stuck on one planet type by creating a subspecies each for cold/dry/wet will cost you a whole lot of faction-happiness and influence. I couldn't even do anything about the 8 pops out of several hundred who self-modified to bring them back into line, because self-determination matters more than Racial Purity. :argh:

I was in that exact situation and avoided taking the habitability genemod tech until after I terraformed all my low habitability planets. I understand they treat them as a different species so you can't just genemod them back to the main template; but I don't remember if there are any restrictions on purging them?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is there a bug where you can't hyperlane into systems? Twice, in two different wars, I couldn't enter the enemy system. Lanes were blue, but my fleet wouldn't do it. This recent time, I had jump drives and was able to jump in, but it totally detailed my earlier war.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Soonmot posted:

Is there a bug where you can't hyperlane into systems? Twice, in two different wars, I couldn't enter the enemy system. Lanes were blue, but my fleet wouldn't do it. This recent time, I had jump drives and was able to jump in, but it totally detailed my earlier war.

Probably the way FTL inhibitors work now. If one is affecting you, you can only leave a system how you came in (or jump drive).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

After I put my butterfly people's brains in robot bodies, a bunch of repugnant porcupine refugees flooded into a planet I just settled. They were being hosed up but a great khan, but they were fanatic purifiers so while I'm typically sympathetic to refugees, I wasn't so happy to get these bloodthirsty xenophobic ones. And what's more the plannet the flooded was supposed to be a mineral base as my butterflies could only live on their gaia home world and habitats. Well, I guess as robots they could live anywhere, but out of habit (and a science specialization) I kept them mainly in habitats, and filled my mining worlds with synths.

But now the world was filled with porcupines. Kind of frustrated until I find the "assimilate" citizenship option. That's... kind of creepy, but I'm egalitarian and it's still allowed so surely it's not as hosed up as I'm imagining, right?

Well, after a few years they're all my primary species. That is kind of hosed up. I assumed they'd become robot versions of their own species, but nope. They were assimilated.

Feeling kind of bad, and still needing minerals on that planet, I mod all the memebers of my species living on that planet, who all used to be porcupines, into their own form of (mining specialized) robots. Surely this will make everyone happy.

Unfortunately now my leader and half my scientists, who have been around since I started the game, are porcupine-style mining bots.

The leader modification system might need another look taken at it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nevets posted:

I was in that exact situation and avoided taking the habitability genemod tech until after I terraformed all my low habitability planets. I understand they treat them as a different species so you can't just genemod them back to the main template; but I don't remember if there are any restrictions on purging them?
It was some weeks ago in the previous version, but IIRC I couldn't purge them, since they were of my species, and I couldn't release their planet as a vassal because I was a Fanatic Purifier. I wound up editing the save to remove the "Self-Modified" trait, so I could genemod them back to purity. And I don't think they needed the habitability genemod; they just modified themselves to fit that planet.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Beta patch chat: I wish there was a Marauder Aggression Level slider. I know some people didn't like it when Marauders wrecked your empire on the way to their actual target, but I thought that was cool. They seem a lot less deadly to me this way. So far the patch is great, minus unity feeling a bit too fast.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Beta patch chat: I wish there was a Marauder Aggression Level slider. I know some people didn't like it when Marauders wrecked your empire on the way to their actual target, but I thought that was cool. They seem a lot less deadly to me this way.

I think that all they needed to do was make it so Marauders were neutral to empires that had paid their tribute or whatever. Them blowing everything up in their path was cool, them blowing everything up in their path with no way for anyone in their path to get them to stop was somewhat less cool.

quote:

So far the patch is great, minus unity feeling a bit too fast.

Apparently that's a bug where the game isn't applying the added cost from colonies properly, so it'll probably be fixed by the next beta patch.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Well I started off this game intending to be the nice guys machine intelligence. But after the first war I liquidated some organics to take care of an energy shortage and because I wanted to turn that planet into a machine world since it was so big. Now the galaxy hates me for "genocide" and I'm now going from sector to sector liquidating organics, using the money to turn their planets into machine worlds to mine the minerals I need to buy the fleets to liquidate more organics.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

This is the thing I'm talking about when I say the worst part of Stellaris is sitting around waiting. Now I can't demand vassalization/tribute from the two nearby nations I want to target because they're at war. So I have to sit on my thumbs like a good Slaving Despot and wait for them to finish their other wars before I can get the subjugate casus belli. Woo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eiba posted:

After I put my butterfly people's brains in robot bodies, a bunch of repugnant porcupine refugees flooded into a planet I just settled. They were being hosed up but a great khan, but they were fanatic purifiers so while I'm typically sympathetic to refugees, I wasn't so happy to get these bloodthirsty xenophobic ones. And what's more the plannet the flooded was supposed to be a mineral base as my butterflies could only live on their gaia home world and habitats. Well, I guess as robots they could live anywhere, but out of habit (and a science specialization) I kept them mainly in habitats, and filled my mining worlds with synths.

But now the world was filled with porcupines. Kind of frustrated until I find the "assimilate" citizenship option. That's... kind of creepy, but I'm egalitarian and it's still allowed so surely it's not as hosed up as I'm imagining, right?

Well, after a few years they're all my primary species. That is kind of hosed up. I assumed they'd become robot versions of their own species, but nope. They were assimilated.

Feeling kind of bad, and still needing minerals on that planet, I mod all the memebers of my species living on that planet, who all used to be porcupines, into their own form of (mining specialized) robots. Surely this will make everyone happy.

Unfortunately now my leader and half my scientists, who have been around since I started the game, are porcupine-style mining bots.

I mean, you uploaded them into the same model of robot that your dudes use. Them being "their own species" would just be a different model of robot which presumably you can do if you want to, synth bodies can be robomodded as far as I know?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Marauders should triple the tribute of a given resource every time you pay them off (so 500 -> 1500 -> 4500 if you keep paying energy) and when someone pays them to raid you they should give you the option to double their bribe, and the event chain keeps going until someone cant pay

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eiba posted:

i also find this to be really unfortunate.

i like building up a really diverse empire and empires that accept refugees can get a very multicultural society going on now, so i avoid synth ascension since it homogenizes everybody. one option you could consider in the future is the ascension paths combined mod, which essentially adds a "fourth ascension" where you take each of the tier-1 perks from the three normal ascensions. assimilation into cyborgs retains species identity and just turns them into a new subspecies with the cyborg trait.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Oh wow so I spent a good chunk of time making colors and borders not be too similar between all my 32 empires, and I just realized that marauders have dark colors, which is a good chunk of my own empires.

God damnit. I hate how you can't really use gray as a border unless your main color is already black, and some mixes of colors don't make any sense. Rather limiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

The funny thing is, my people who started out as robots do just what you wanted when we get a planet full of organics. They all end up being cyborg types of their race, which maintains most of their original traits (until I genemod those out).