Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Thundercracker posted:

Does it really look weird? The trailer made it look like a by the numbers chosen one story and pretty trite at that. Never read the book so I wouldn't know how true the movie is to it.

But I expect Black Panther to still win out.

I don't really know how it's going to work in the movie, but in the books it's definitely not a chosen-one style thing, at least at first, and the stakes are relatively personal to the protagonists. I can see why it's marketed as such, because the themes of the book (book spoilers) definitely play against the chosen one convention, as that the main character's little brother is a chosen one style character, but well, let's just say it's a few books until he gets there. Consequently him growing up and getting competent is about when the books get weird and bad and I stopped with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Young Freud posted:

Has anyone informed Michael B. Jordan? :ohdear:

He's gonna go full anime fan if they take them to Japan. :allears: And I find that so drat cute, my god.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

21 Muns posted:

Honestly, I don't think she's even mistaken, I think she's outright lying. :psyduck: Frozen 2 comes out in less than two years, and this really seems like the kind of decision that would have been made further in advance than that.

Frozen was a clusterfuck during production too, disney aint that organized

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do we still post trailers in this thread, because I saw this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3adHok6ytJI

I remember someone asking, "How are they going to make another Black Dynamite when they made all the jokes in the first film?" And I'm impressed by the answer!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This looks great. They really captured the look of 70s westerns. Were these actors hired by a time-traveling agency?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The crowdfunding campaign is live, though it appears to be doing awfully. :(

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Holy cow, a 3:42 long trailer? Do I even need to watch the movie now?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cacator posted:

Holy cow, a 3:42 long trailer? Do I even need to watch the movie now?

It’s not really a trailer, it’s a proof of concept made for the funding campaign to show what the film would look like. There’s clearly a lot of stock footage and shots taken from other films.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not really a trailer, it’s a proof of concept made for the funding campaign to show what the film would look like. There’s clearly a lot of stock footage and shots taken from other films.

Let's not fool ourselves, that stock footage is going to be in the finished product, not just because it happened in Black Dynamite (looking at you, exploding helicopter taken from Charlie's Angels), but also a staple of the films he's parodying.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I guess the answer to who greenlit that is... us, if we want!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The trailer being in the 2:50 to 3:50 area is the most 70s thing about it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pirate Jet posted:

They have a full month left.

A lot of crowdfunding campaigns make it to like 60% with only a few days left and then explode past 100% in the final stretch so there is still hope. I haven't backed many campaigns but all the ones I have seemed hopeless with only a day or two to go but then magically a massive influx of money showed up to get them past the goal.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hell, I threw $40 at it for the Blu-ray. I think I got Black Dynamite for like $5, so it’ll average out well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, bummer it's not doing great. But I don't think a single one of the many movie news sites I frequent mentioned the crowdfunding campaign. Gonna throw in for the Blu, too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

I wish I had a million dollars in spare change in my couch to fund this.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Mary Poppins is back to help more rich kids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzcaR1N0pTI

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

this is absolutely a horror movie trailer if u switch the audio

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

I never miss an opportunity to pose this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tars Tarkas posted:

I like the way it is filmed/cinematography. My wish is that it's Yondu but..sadly...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm impressed how well the trailer would lends itself to a "Scary Poppins Returns" take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok pitching in 40 I loved black dynamite

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

The clouds parting could have been accompanied by the Hans Zimmer Horn.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Lin-Manuel & the kid reactin w/ the Paul Reiser whiplash fear-face

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

I wish I had a million dollars in spare change in my couch to fund this.

I tweeted the Indiegogo page to the millionaire who starred in Badang, hoping he will be enticed by the prospect of appearing in a ‘Hollywood’ movie.

Malaysians would also appreciate watching him getting punched by a cowboy.

Young Freud posted:

Would love to see Zack Snyder direct it too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had been looking forward to it, but Garth Davis's Mary Magdalene, starring Rooney Mara as Mary and Joaquin Phoenix as Jesus, looks like it's going to be a critical dud. 33% on Rotten Tomatoes with six reviews, all from the big industry rags.

Also the last film scored by Johann Johannsson before his death.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Vegetable posted:

I had been looking forward to it, but Garth Davis's Mary Magdalene, starring Rooney Mara as Mary and Joaquin Phoenix as Jesus, looks like it's going to be a critical dud. 33% on Rotten Tomatoes with six reviews, all from the big industry rags.

Also the last film scored by Johann Johannsson before his death.

That sucks. I’m a big fan of Rooney Mara

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there any prospect of Black Panther still being number-one next week or is A Wrinkle In Time likely to top it?

Lol.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Holy poo poo I thought Wrinkle in Time was going to flop

I am not nearly as optimistic about it as other people in this thread seem to be. I don't think Black Panther can be considered a herald for the general public showing up for movies with majority non-white leads / casts.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 5, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neo Rasa posted:

The planet Zeist.

"The future"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'll still check that poo poo out (not in theaters tho) just for Joaquin Jesus
Like, I saw I'm Still Here in theaters. THIS I gotta see.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't think the kids are going to be that into seeing a movie with "Wrinkle" in the title.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Beachcomber posted:

I don't think the kids are going to be that into seeing a movie with "Wrinkle" in the title.

Look. boys are going to be turned off by "Princess" and women will be turned off by the word "Mars".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It made $70M on a $17M budget. It was basically equivalent to a Blunmhouse horror film. Respectable box office combining with low budget and low expectations made it worthwhile investment. Then the sequel went and burned that bridge with a doubled budget and only $82M box office.

BP is releasing in Japan this weekend. They're only expecting $25-30M for the run. Which is still better than the best performing Marvel film but the Japanese market is such a different beast than the American and predominantly black movies don't do very well in Japan for sadly apparent reasons.

What? Blade 2 directed by an academy award winner had 54m budget and made 155m worldwide.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

8one6 posted:

Look. boys are going to be turned off by "Princess" and women will be turned off by the word "Mars".

Everyone is turned on by wrinkles.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

BP is releasing in Japan this weekend. They're only expecting $25-30M for the run. Which is still better than the best performing Marvel film but the Japanese market is such a different beast than the American and predominantly black movies don't do very well in Japan for sadly apparent reasons.
how many "predominantly black" hollywood blockbusters, or even movies not primarily made for african-american audiences, have even opened in japan?

but sure its because those inscrutable racists right

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Japan is extremely racist but mostly against Koreans and the Chinese.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Japan is extremely racist but mostly against Koreans and the Chinese.

and most other people unless they're famous

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Which is still better than the best performing Marvel film but the Japanese market is such a different beast than the American and predominantly black movies don't do very well in Japan for sadly apparent reasons.

Are you just making poo poo up? Things may have changed recently given how excited people are about the Chinese market but Japan has been the second most important market in the world for US films for decades now.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Are you just making poo poo up? Things may have changed recently given how excited people are about the Chinese market but Japan has been the second most important market in the world for US films for decades now.

can't miss a chance to call asians racist based on long years of *looks at notes* masturbating exclusively to hentai

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about Japan but I know Will Smith is popular in China because he is very handsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

raditts posted:

"The future"

"A very very long time ago"