Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Happily I was able to get my hand under cold water fast enough that the whitened damaged skin where I burnt myself didn't blister at all. It just stayed white for a bit and now seems to be breaking up to reveal my shiny new skin. I'm like a beautiful rattlesnake :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, it didn't convert ("burn wound conversion," where a superficial burn spontaneously turns into a thicker wound sometimes days in), but the fact that it was white is a sign it was in the family of burns that could do that. I'm glad you're okay, burns are no joke.

There are prescription wound treatments (like silver silvadene or santyl) that speed up and "cleanse" the process significantly, but that's a lot of money to save two days of burn for something smaller. If it's a large portion of a limb, or a portion of the body, then we slather that poo poo on, because 2-5 fewer days with a whole body burn is gigantic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always enjoy the science behind that kind of thing, like the reason acids and alkalines are such fuckers - pure water is not stable, H2O is constantly breaking down into H+ and OH- ions which then recombine. In pure water they are equal in number, the pH being the amount of H+ ions present (after some complex logarithmic maths because the actual number is sooo small that it can only be expressed in scientific notation, and the post-math number is just easier to work with). They aren't a big deal because of the recombining, but in acids and alkalines the numbers are imbalanced - there are too many, or too few H+ ions to keep stable, so if in contact with any substance that the ions can bond with (like a hydrocarbon, ie MOST ORGANIC COMPOUNDs, particularly skin), you can assume that the ions are gonna get grabby due to wanting stability, which of course means the chemicals forming the tissues get all hosed up due to suddenly having an atom (or a few) taken away by the reaction making them get all grabby and starting a chain reaction.

That last part is probably totally incorrect but it's an extrapolation my brain came up with.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I thought I had class at 8:30 today and left my house at 7 because the school is across the city. I was wrong, it starts next week. So it's now 9:30 and I just got home.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Called out sick to take cat to vet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The ants are back.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I'm very pregnant, and I have really bad symphysis pubis dysfunction so it feels like my pelvis is being wrenched in half with a crowbar, while simultaneously feeling like someone hoofed me as hard as possible in the box with a steel-toed boot. Every movement is agony and I can barely walk without wanting to cry. I'm still at work for 3 more weeks and I have an absolute poo poo ton of stuff to do to get prepared and I have no idea how I'm going to manage physically when my pelvis and lower spine feel like they are disintegrating with each step. Just over 4 weeks left until my due date...it's likely I will go over though.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
The lady who runs my clinical program just called me and basically made it sound as if my preceptors think I'm a retard who can't do this job. loving hell, I thought I was doing fine! I'm calling her back tomorrow when I'm not crying, but drat, my day was good until then.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Have a hugely important meet and greet/networking thing on Thursday (like, THE job that could get me out of minimum wage slavery), so I figured I should get a haircut/my brows done. Stylist was super new and hosed up my bangs and ends, and the brow lady went to town and made my brows too thin when I told her I was happy with their current shape/thickness and just needed some cleanup done. Really looking forward to Thursday, you guys...

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Cowslips Warren posted:

Called out sick to take cat to vet.

Similar:

I was scheduled till 2pm and I stayed till 2:45 and when I asked store manager to let me leave cause I had a vet appt she got all mad at me. There were other employees there, she didn’t need me.

She’s been all drama to me recently and was soooo rude and mean to me talking down to me like I was mentally incapacitated . I felt like poo poo. Today was especially bad.

Drama is poo poo but on the plus side I stood up for myself and took my cat to the vet and got her her medicine. gently caress drama, but still sucks to be talked to like I’m mentally incapacitated.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Turns out the burns were inconsistent - the one on my middle finger is gone, but the one on my ring finger feels like it's swelling. How annoying.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

Similar:

I was scheduled till 2pm and I stayed till 2:45 and when I asked store manager to let me leave cause I had a vet appt she got all mad at me. There were other employees there, she didn’t need me.

She’s been all drama to me recently and was soooo rude and mean to me talking down to me like I was mentally incapacitated . I felt like poo poo. Today was especially bad.

Drama is poo poo but on the plus side I stood up for myself and took my cat to the vet and got her her medicine. gently caress drama, but still sucks to be talked to like I’m mentally incapacitated.

And now fun. I had a headache Monday but thought it was from my sunburn. Last night had a fever of 102, so now I really am sick. Fever, chills, total lethargy. Doc says is a strain of flu, plus ear infection. Yaaaay.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just had ludicrous amounts of snow today, forecast to continue, all because of Hurricane Emma coming to visit from Siberia. EMMA CAN YOU JUST GO HOME! gently caress! It's freezing.

Also because of the snow half of the people at work went home early to avoid getting stuck, meaning we were understaffed, and also because of the snow more people were working from home so more tech support issues were coming in on top of that.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Feb 28, 2018

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Some days I want a standing ovation for being mature and responsible when surrounded by pants-on-head imbeciles and goddamn it today's one of them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When I called out sick for the second day in the row because I still have the flu, my boss tried to explain to me kind of guilting me to the fact that well we need you to come in on Friday because some people already have vacation requested and they're going to get it off and we're going to be really short staffed. Despite the fact that yes I did in fact take Monday off, went to take my cat to the vet and two because I thought I could take care of whatever I had with over-the-counter medication but that didn't work, and I worked a full 8 hours on Tuesday despite having a hundred and two degree temperature and the flu, the most importantly I do deliveries to nursing homes! On every single nursing home door I've ever gone to there are huge signs posted asking that if you are sick in any way shape or form to please not come in! The people inside have compromised immune system so please if you have the flu or a cold or anything do not come into the home! I'm pretty sure my boss knows this and I told him that the medication I'm on should make sure I'm not contagious by at least Saturday but he's still not happy that I need another day off this week to combat something that actually has been killing people this year!

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Mar 1, 2018

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My husband's work accidentally paid him a $6400 paycheque that he can't keep because they tacked on an extra 0 to the end of his overtime hours.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

its all nice on rice posted:

I have to close all goddamn week. I've told my manager a dozen times I hate closing and was hired on to open or mid. Take one of the new hires and train them for closing. I'm tired of going not having enough time in the morning to do poo poo getting home late.

Now I know why my supervisors are snappy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ive had and im still having a very angry week for absolutely no good reason, thanks to an incredibly petty diseased rear end in a top hat in my life, and all my usual ways to vent are not working and just make me even more angry. My nerves are shot and im on the shortest fuse possible even to people I enjoy being around.

Im considering a a little quarantine from the world.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

my life can increasingly be summarized with linkin park lyrics.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
My ex wife's dad was taken off life support yesterday. Super cool, laid back guy, going way too soon. He and I were never really close, but it sucks for my (our, I guess) teenage daughter, who really adored him.

The big problem is my ex, a colossal drama queen gently caress up who simply must make everything about herself. Her mother died years ago, but her mother's family wants absolutely nothing to do with her these days because of her caustic bullshit. Now that her dad (stepdad technically, but he was around since she was a baby) is passing away, it's extremely likely his family going to black ball her as well, especially after having a meltdown on Facebook today accusing the family of keeping her out of the loop (hmm I wonder why). And of course she's dragging our two kids into it, trying to use them as leverage for sympathy. My 7 year old doesn't really understand what's happening, but my daughter is beside herself. Of course, my ex is convinced that she's the only person on Earth grieving. A cousin is coming to pick the kids up to see him one last time today, but I'm worried that their mom will start some poo poo and my kids will have to see it.

I have full custody of the children because I can hold a job for more than a couple months and because I don't have a crippling addiction to pills and booze and also because I'm not a lying, manipulative degenerate.

I could go on, but gently caress it. I feel better.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

oh dope posted:

My ex wife's dad was taken off life support yesterday. Super cool, laid back guy, going way too soon. He and I were never really close, but it sucks for my (our, I guess) teenage daughter, who really adored him.

The big problem is my ex, a colossal drama queen gently caress up who simply must make everything about herself. Her mother died years ago, but her mother's family wants absolutely nothing to do with her these days because of her caustic bullshit. Now that her dad (stepdad technically, but he was around since she was a baby) is passing away, it's extremely likely his family going to black ball her as well, especially after having a meltdown on Facebook today accusing the family of keeping her out of the loop (hmm I wonder why). And of course she's dragging our two kids into it, trying to use them as leverage for sympathy. My 7 year old doesn't really understand what's happening, but my daughter is beside herself. Of course, my ex is convinced that she's the only person on Earth grieving. A cousin is coming to pick the kids up to see him one last time today, but I'm worried that their mom will start some poo poo and my kids will have to see it.

I have full custody of the children because I can hold a job for more than a couple months and because I don't have a crippling addiction to pills and booze and also because I'm not a lying, manipulative degenerate.

I could go on, but gently caress it. I feel better.

Sometimes you really do need a good vent. I'm sorry to hear about your ex father in law and your ex doesn't drag everything down in a maelstrom of bullshit. :glomp:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I was gonna gonna meet this chick for sex tomorrow but it was cancelled due to stuff. Means I can get real drunk now and play video games and not care about being hung over. So, doors and windows.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Went outside, didn't turn on the porch light, missed the last step. Now I'm nursing a twisted ankle.

Obviously this means I should never go outside again, too dangerous. :pseudo:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

taiyoko posted:

Went outside, didn't turn on the porch light, missed the last step. Now I'm nursing a twisted ankle.

Obviously this means I should never go outside again, too dangerous. :pseudo:

Holy poo poo, my porch got me, this week, too. Today is the first day I've been able to move with any freedom since Monday morning. I was sure it had to be fractured, but x-rays were apparently negative.

My porch is three steps high, and I heard a LOT of crunching when I landed on my ankle, which was turned 90 degrees from my calf. They wanted a CAT scan for my head, but traveling was way, way too painful.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I've also lost, no kidding, 17 pounds since last weekend, because I can't shop, and, if I could, I wouldn't be able to cook.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Signed a lease on a new apartment last week. This week my neighbor came home from out of town and wouldn't you know, he has a horrible, hacking, smoker's cough 24 hours a day and it's audible whenever I'm in my living room or kitchen. It's every 20 seconds or so. I don't know how he's still alive and I feel bad for being pissed but it's seriously disgusting.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Riatsala posted:

Signed a lease on a new apartment last week. This week my neighbor came home from out of town and wouldn't you know, he has a horrible, hacking, smoker's cough 24 hours a day and it's audible whenever I'm in my living room or kitchen. It's every 20 seconds or so. I don't know how he's still alive and I feel bad for being pissed but it's seriously disgusting.

:same: I moved in on the 24th and didn't know for the first few days because I work 12 hour shifts opposite of him I guess. First day off, uh oh.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

We finally said goodbye to our microwave. We bought it used for $15 from a pawn shop in 2001.

On the bright side we replaced it with one that doesn't have a half-stuck button that makes it hard to open the door. And right now my husband is dismantling the old one and taking apart all the components because he loves to learn about how things work.

Edit: case in point

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Give that back to Tony Stark, he needs that to live! :ohdear:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Holy poo poo, my porch got me, this week, too. Today is the first day I've been able to move with any freedom since Monday morning. I was sure it had to be fractured, but x-rays were apparently negative.

My porch is three steps high, and I heard a LOT of crunching when I landed on my ankle, which was turned 90 degrees from my calf. They wanted a CAT scan for my head, but traveling was way, way too painful.

You've got it way worse than me, then. Hurt like hell for an hour or two, hobbled around the house a little with my mom's cane, but now I can at least put weight on it and stand for a while. Still hurts if I try to flex it.

And tomorrow (well, later today at this point), we're taking my niece to Legoland for her birthday. Might borrow the cane again just in case it starts complaining again after I'm on it too long. Hope yours gets better soon!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

taiyoko posted:

You've got it way worse than me, then. Hurt like hell for an hour or two, hobbled around the house a little with my mom's cane, but now I can at least put weight on it and stand for a while. Still hurts if I try to flex it.

And tomorrow (well, later today at this point), we're taking my niece to Legoland for her birthday. Might borrow the cane again just in case it starts complaining again after I'm on it too long. Hope yours gets better soon!

Oh, yeah. I got hosed up pretty bad. I left the house, today, for the first time since Monday, and I almost took two more major falls. I hit some black ice on my driveway, but, luckily, it was the bad leg that slipped, leaving the good leg to catch me. On the way back in when I got home, I went by habit to the side of the porch, which a concrete block in front of it, instead of proper stairs. Since I am lacking spring in my step, I didn’t quite make the hop onto the porch (I tried to set down my good leg, and just power-lift myself), and ended up wobbling on one leg, falling backward toward my driveway. I barely managed to claw my fingertips into the house and the roof support on the porch, and pull myself up. That one would have been my own fault, since the stairs are only like three feet away.

Anyway, thanks for the well-wishing. I’m not healed, but I can hobble around under my own power. Hope Legoland goes well.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Intoluene posted:

Sometimes you really do need a good vent. I'm sorry to hear about your ex father in law and your ex doesn't drag everything down in a maelstrom of bullshit. :glomp:

Thanks. He just passed away last night. Thankfully my kids got to see him and say goodbye, and it sounds like there wasn't any drama.

But I called it. She had another Facebook meltdown about how the entire family has blocked her and they're keeping her in the dark about the funeral.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BioEnchanted posted:

Glad to hear your Red Rod isn't nearly as Rotten dude. It's always nice when things turn around. Best of luck finding a medication that won't gently caress your brain chemistry sideways. :)

Never said thanks for this support, by the way. We're out of my parents' house and both our mental states are way, way better as a result. She's getting back to her normal self and not constantly obsessing over/criticizing/worrying about my parents and what they're doing, and I'm no longer having panic attacks because of their clashing. I was actually getting extreme joint and muscle pain for a few months - it turns out it was because when she was having an anxiety attack, I would tense up to an extreme degree, so much that it was causing me lingering pain. It was so bad I was worried it was arthritis.

taiyoko posted:

As someone who worked at Legoland CA for 2 summers, sorry. God that place is expensive and there's not a lot for adults to do after you've looked at Miniland. (Unless they've added some stuff in the last 10+ years? I know it got better after Lego sold it to a theme park company.)

Rotten Red Rod has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Mar 5, 2018

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
got in trouble bc a customer ordered a specific part and I should have psychically detected that they were telling me the wrong words and actually wanted a different thing not the specific one they asked for

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
As it turns out, a single Aleve and 2 Advil are not enough to keep my feet from wanting to die after 12 hours.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

As someone who worked at Legoland CA for 2 summers, sorry. God that place is expensive and there's not a lot for adults to do after you've looked at Miniland. (Unless they've added some stuff in the last 10+ years? I know it got better after Lego sold it to a theme park company.)

This wasn't like the big theme park kind, it wss inside a mall. It was pretty neat to see the replicas of Atlanta landmarks, the little light gun ride was fun, the 4d movie was all right but me and 3d effects have never gotten along properly. Still, the kids had fun, and at least we got the "entry after 3pm" discount tickets. I'd say it was worth the $12 each tickets. Ankle is doing better today, but thank God that on Sunday the place had a little cafeteria in it so I could just sit and let the kiddos play.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honduras is lame!!!!!!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

taiyoko posted:

This wasn't like the big theme park kind, it wss inside a mall. It was pretty neat to see the replicas of Atlanta landmarks, the little light gun ride was fun, the 4d movie was all right but me and 3d effects have never gotten along properly. Still, the kids had fun, and at least we got the "entry after 3pm" discount tickets. I'd say it was worth the $12 each tickets. Ankle is doing better today, but thank God that on Sunday the place had a little cafeteria in it so I could just sit and let the kiddos play.

Ah, that sounds like a great time, actually.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Had a date with a woman that I've basically loved for almost two decades. Everything went great (we've been friends the entire time), but when we kissed for the first time it felt really awkward and weird for me, and I just can't get past it. We tried a bit more, but it just felt like I was messing around with a relative or something. We're too good of friends to move forward, but she doesn't feel that way and still wants to pursue a romantic relationship. I think I'm hosed and not in a good way. She convinced me to give it one more shot, so we're hanging out again tomorrow, but I know myself very well and I'm going to be just as uncomfortable with any physical affection with her.

I've never had this happen before so it's really confusing and I'm too old for stupid poo poo like this. I'm pretty sure if we move forward with trying to sleep together tomorrow there's going to be no going back to being friends again. Then again I think that may have already happened the other night because no one likes hearing "this....this just isn't working" in the middle of going down on someone.

I'm gonna lose this friendship. I know it. I still don't know if it was worth taking the shot or not. Maybe I can convince her that this wasn't a good idea and we're too good of friends to ruin it by trying to force something.

Also, I didn't get a promotion I was up for, am being transferred to another location which means I have to start my book of business all over again, and one of my friends tried to kill himself (fourth time apparently wasn't a charm) with sleeping pills again. Just a lot of poo poo on my plate and I'm gonna have to eat it.

Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Dude that sucks, but definitely don't sleep with someone that you're not comfortable being physical with. That's always a bad idea, and it hurts you and her much more than being honest and shutting it all down, right? You have a perfect excuse with work stress if you want an easier out than "This is gross to me".

My day was lovely because I just got dumped HARD and I had no idea we were having problems so maybe I Have Opinions and should mind my own business.