Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

Got in a rematch game against a local Blood Angels player, who I tabled on turn five last time. We both lamented that the army would be better once they got their own strats and equipment.

Tabled him top of three instead. :getin:

To be fair I made a good majority of my 4++ rolls and his Warlord jump-pack captain failed one 2+ and two 3++s on the turn he charged a fresh Tyrant, dying in the process.

Highlights included a Hive Tyrant rolling all rends with its MRC against a four-man Intercessor squad and my minion picking up as many of my Termagants during the game as she could get and sticking them to the bottom of trees based on washers to make “dinosaur trees.”

Dadhammer best hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I caved

Is the Death Guard Dark Imperium Half minus the poxwalkers (so 3 heroes, the copter, and 7 plague marines) for $30 good?

I'm trying to look up if stuff is good without reading too much into the meta/op.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I played a strange but really fun and close game today against Genestealer Cult that I ultimately lost.

I have two major things I took away. Firstly, it's probably a good idea to go second when playing against another deepstriking army.

Secondly, when the Cult player is rolling hot on Cult Ambush the entire army gets insanely scary. Out of something like 6 units be used the ambush on he rolled sixes for all but one. It was extremely difficult to deal with, to put it mildly.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Here's a Guardian article on GW's economic success. It focuses mostly on Age of Sigmarines, but there are some 40K mentions.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Technowolf posted:

Here's a Guardian article on GW's economic success. It focuses mostly on Age of Sigmarines, but there are some 40K mentions.

“Raboute”

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

goodness posted:

I caved

Is the Death Guard Dark Imperium Half minus the poxwalkers (so 3 heroes, the copter, and 7 plague marines) for $30 good?

I'm trying to look up if stuff is good without reading too much into the meta/op.

Yes, it is. The Noxious Blightbringer isn’t especially great, but generally both sides of the DI starter set are surprisingly useful/good in-game. A lot of DG players swear by the Foetid Bloatdrone. They’re all also great models to paint with a ton of details.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

OhDearGodNo posted:

“Raboute”

“It’s very strategic,” says Dimitri of Warhammer “10K”

Age of Terra confirmed.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PierreTheMime posted:

Stay 18” away and put as many shots into it as possible. With a 3++ they’re great candidates for low AP high damage shots since regardless of penetrating power they’re making the same save.

Depending what faction you’re using they are a prime candidate for Death Hex if you can get it off.

Half the problem is getting into a situation where you can do that.

Usually they're sitting in a sea of catalyst'd gaunts.

And even then I've had the dang things face-tank a las repulsor, a space marine captain (twice!), and Cawl.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

goodness posted:

I caved

I can't really speak to the in game stats but that's a lot of amazing plastic for $30.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Half the problem is getting into a situation where you can do that.

Usually they're sitting in a sea of catalyst'd gaunts.

And even then I've had the dang things face-tank a las repulsor, a space marine captain (twice!), and Cawl.

Digging a character out from behind other models is the challenge regardless of the army. If you don’t have the firepower to drill through the Termagants, you focus on other targets elsewhere and avoid as best you can.

3++ is that perfect level of nigh-invulnerability where a good streak of rolls will win the day regardless of the opponent. At the end of the day if you did everything else right but your opponent rolled sixteen 3+s, you can be frustrated but know you played it right.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Jesus Christ I have no idea how to deal with multiple neurothropes.

Are you using the beta Smite rules? If so, what are they doing that's causing you problems? Since the Smite nerf became popular at my LGS, the only thing I use them for are cheap HQs for a detachment.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PierreTheMime posted:

Digging a character out from behind other models is the challenge regardless of the army. If you don’t have the firepower to drill through the Termagants, you focus on other targets elsewhere and avoid as best you can.

3++ is that perfect level of nigh-invulnerability where a good streak of rolls will win the day regardless of the opponent. At the end of the day if you did everything else right but your opponent rolled sixteen 3+s, you can be frustrated but know you played it right.

Oh, yeah, I know. Its a little frustrating that the whole thing is less about what I can do and more waiting for them to fail a save.

I'm also just kinda weirdly amused that I've been able to consistently put down Guilliman (well, the first time at least) every time I've faced a list with him but I can't hack a single Neurothrope.

Edit: No on the beta smite rules. They're not "official" yet. Mostly because nobody in the meta really spams psykers otherwise.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 4, 2018

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Been meaning to buy a kr case for a while and since I'm doing Nova, my current piecemeal setup won't cut it.

Bought a backpack 4 with a foam setup to fit a ton of guard, tanks, and Custodes.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Could someone explain to me the difference between scout bikes and ravenwing bikes? The scout bikes seem better in almost every way, except for their Sv being one point worse, and they are cheaper. Is this right? Am I missing something?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Booyah- posted:

I can't really speak to the in game stats but that's a lot of amazing plastic for $30.

And something fun to use my airbrush on

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Beast Pussy posted:

Could someone explain to me the difference between scout bikes and ravenwing bikes? The scout bikes seem better in almost every way, except for their Sv being one point worse, and they are cheaper. Is this right? Am I missing something?

Take this for what it's worth since I don't have my codex near me and am getting it from Battlescribe, but it seems they don't have the Ravenwing key word and can't take special weapons like plasma, flamers or melta.

Also they aren't Black Knights.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

“It’s very strategic,” says Dimitri of Warhammer “10K”

Age of Terra confirmed.

Standard Grauniad

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
My project that I’ve been working on since the Craftworlds codex dropped is finally complete - just in time for my first ever tournament next weekend (Battlefield Birmingham).

The Swordwind is ready to ride.

I am unreasonably excited, and am probably going to get destroyed.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

One_Wing posted:

My project that I’ve been working on since the Craftworlds codex dropped is finally complete - just in time for my first ever tournament next weekend (Battlefield Birmingham).

The Swordwind is ready to ride.

I am unreasonably excited, and am probably going to get destroyed.

Have fun! BB is a good event and Harry is a great TO. Some of the best players in the UK will be there, so getting destroyed is likely, but you should still have fun.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Someones putting the skulls box to good use.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Played a 1500 point game last night, my Wolves/DA force against a Deathwing Knights force.

I got rolled up pretty good, but managed to turn it into a tie via sheer dice luck. The opponent was using a Chaplain Dread as their warlord, and ran up on my Redemptor to murk him. One-shotted him in hand to hand, but I rolled to explode.

22 mortal wounds across the units he had nearby.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

This is the greatest thing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Artum posted:

Oh good they finally released a new plastic Nurgle Daemon Prince!

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Mef989 posted:

Take this for what it's worth since I don't have my codex near me and am getting it from Battlescribe, but it seems they don't have the Ravenwing key word and can't take special weapons like plasma, flamers or melta.

Also they aren't Black Knights.

Cheers, there's so many things to take in on the datasheet, that one slipped by me.

Related, I'm taking part in a newbie tournament this month, 3 matches on 3 weekends 500, 750 and ,1000 points. How does this list look?

quote:

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Dark Angels) [29 PL, 497pts] ++

+ HQ +

Azrael [9 PL, 180pts]

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 91pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher
. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt rifle
. Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt rifle

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 91pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant
. Assault Bolters: Assault bolter

++ Total: [29 PL, 497pts] ++

I'm considering trading in Azrael for a Primaris Master with a rifle, and then using the extra points to get more intercessors. Would that be better?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played 3 games last saturday and an actual RTT yesterday with this list:

Herald of Tzeentch
Herald of Nurgle
30 bloodletters, banner and instrument
2x10 brims
3x3 plague drones

Corn Demon prince with the axe
1k sons jump sorcerer with the 5+ CP helm
2x3 nurglings
39 alpha legion cultists

alpha legion jump lord
3x3 alpha leigion oblits

Spread out over 2 battalions (one soup) and a spearhead. I won all 6 games against the following lists:

90 small bugs/manticores
1ksons rubrics/tzangors/princes
45 dire avengers on foot with Assureman and spiders/scorps/hawks

13 carnafexes
BA Inceptor spam with a DC bomb and a couple captains
5 flyrants with mortar teams and hiveguard.

Most of these people were my teammates, so you know, also warhogs. We had a good showing for our impromptu RTT that we announced on Wednesday, maxing out the 12 player cap immediately with some locals in the area we were meeting at. I really liked how my list flowed: the drones are in the fun sweet spot of tanky, fast, and dangerous that you don't really want to go after them but if you don't they will kill stuff and are basically immune to all the chaff that has defined this edition. 9 oblits are necessary to be able to tear down some of the bigger targets and being alpha legion is dope, the prince goes back and forth: he is super killy, a character, and forces my opponent to play around him, but he so squishy . He will probably always be on the chopping block. The couple heralds are good: poxbringers are pretty scary in CC and the tzeentch dude is helpful just for that dumb reroll power. The 1k sons dude is my warlord which feels bad: the helmet gives back CP but sometimes I want to throw him away for a death hex. I almost want to get a 1k sons detachment so he gets an extra 6" on his powers so he could hide behind oblits or bees. The cultists are always a win: being in the way, punishing poor deployments,, and being another 40 idiots you have to kill to the man or they respawn. A+ The bloodletter bomb always trades but takes up so much realestate, hits like a truck, and ties up so much they are also probably always worth it.

Demons will be fun this season.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beast Pussy posted:

Cheers, there's so many things to take in on the datasheet, that one slipped by me.

Related, I'm taking part in a newbie tournament this month, 3 matches on 3 weekends 500, 750 and ,1000 points. How does this list look?

I'm considering trading in Azrael for a Primaris Master with a rifle, and then using the extra points to get more intercessors. Would that be better?

Trade azrael down for a master with rifle and heavenfall blade and change one squad of intercessors for hellblasters would get my vote, but of those two the captain and intercessors would definitely be better.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Artum posted:

Trade azrael down for a master with rifle and heavenfall blade and change one squad of intercessors for hellblasters would get my vote, but of those two the captain and intercessors would definitely be better.

I can do this instead. Thanks!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Played 3 games last saturday and an actual RTT yesterday with this list:

Herald of Tzeentch
Herald of Nurgle
30 bloodletters, banner and instrument
2x10 brims
3x3 plague drones

Corn Demon prince with the axe
1k sons jump sorcerer with the 5+ CP helm
2x3 nurglings
39 alpha legion cultists

alpha legion jump lord
3x3 alpha leigion oblits

Spread out over 2 battalions (one soup) and a spearhead. I won all 6 games against the following lists:

90 small bugs/manticores
1ksons rubrics/tzangors/princes
45 dire avengers on foot with Assureman and spiders/scorps/hawks

13 carnafexes
BA Inceptor spam with a DC bomb and a couple captains
5 flyrants with mortar teams and hiveguard.

Most of these people were my teammates, so you know, also warhogs. We had a good showing for our impromptu RTT that we announced on Wednesday, maxing out the 12 player cap immediately with some locals in the area we were meeting at. I really liked how my list flowed: the drones are in the fun sweet spot of tanky, fast, and dangerous that you don't really want to go after them but if you don't they will kill stuff and are basically immune to all the chaff that has defined this edition. 9 oblits are necessary to be able to tear down some of the bigger targets and being alpha legion is dope, the prince goes back and forth: he is super killy, a character, and forces my opponent to play around him, but he so squishy . He will probably always be on the chopping block. The couple heralds are good: poxbringers are pretty scary in CC and the tzeentch dude is helpful just for that dumb reroll power. The 1k sons dude is my warlord which feels bad: the helmet gives back CP but sometimes I want to throw him away for a death hex. I almost want to get a 1k sons detachment so he gets an extra 6" on his powers so he could hide behind oblits or bees. The cultists are always a win: being in the way, punishing poor deployments,, and being another 40 idiots you have to kill to the man or they respawn. A+ The bloodletter bomb always trades but takes up so much realestate, hits like a truck, and ties up so much they are also probably always worth it.

Demons will be fun this season.

Nice. Flexible, great board control, looks like a giant pain in the rear end. What do you fear?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Nice. Flexible, great board control, looks like a giant pain in the rear end. What do you fear?

3-5 Fireraptors, mainly. I barely won against that footdar list too so that's an issue. Getting zoned sucks but the cultists, bees, nurglings, all help me have some space and the oblits can help me punch out. I need to play against the real eldar list (I have some serpents so now I can practice against it). I've considered dropping the bees for the death guard flamer tank things but I dont think they are as good and are more expensive. I will probably also play around with screamer spam a bit but it's probably really bad. I am thirsty for CP though. I could probably burn 30 a game so there will be all sorts of birgades!(tm) list building.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Naramyth posted:

3-5 Fireraptors, mainly. I barely won against that footdar list too so that's an issue. Getting zoned sucks but the cultists, bees, nurglings, all help me have some space and the oblits can help me punch out. I need to play against the real eldar list (I have some serpents so now I can practice against it). I've considered dropping the bees for the death guard flamer tank things but I dont think they are as good and are more expensive. I will probably also play around with screamer spam a bit but it's probably really bad. I am thirsty for CP though. I could probably burn 30 a game so there will be all sorts of birgades!(tm) list building.

can you talk a bit more about the footdar game, it sounds hilarious/like something i'd like to try one day

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beast Pussy posted:

I recommend taking advantage of the DA plasma stratagem and either fielding some Hellblasters or upgrading the Inceptors. Scout squads are also cheap and useful.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

I've always heard that Forge World orders have somewhat frequent issues, but great customer support. Experienced that for the first time with my last order. I bought some of the new Imperial Fist Repulsor doors to use with the Crimson Fists Repulsor I plan to assemble soon. Turns out there are two versions of the doors, I had ordered #1 but they sent me #2 in a package that said it was #1. Reported the mistake, and received immediate support. Best part? They made it fun:

Forge World posted:

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the email, Sorry about the miss packed kit from your order, It looks like someone let the mail order troll out of his cage for the evening and as a small riot and minor skirmishes followed the chaos of his "night on the town" your order was left wanting .

I have sent you a second order confirmation with the kit you need to complete the order and it will be sent via UPS tracked mail to reduce the risk and time of it getting to you without troll dribble all over it.

Thanks again and speak soon
(p.s. the troll has been punished for his crimes)

Great support with a sense of humor. Glad more and more companies seem to be using this model.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah that mail order troll really can't handle fun. I had a similar response. FW really is great.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Perhaps if they used clever creatures for mail order than trolls they'd have fewer mistakes. Maybe a goblin.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Has anyone seen people do Scions with a ceramic-style armor scheme? I've decided that I need a quick way to paint large tanks, and that using the same Bonewhite/Soft Tone/Bonewhite drybrush scheme that I use on my Primaris armor might work well on tanks. I bought some Scions so I could try the helmet on with my Scouts (I think it will look great), and since a Scion battalion is a fairly cheap way to get command points and some guys who can drop in unannounced I figured it might be worth messing around. I'm thinking of doing the hard parts in a bone color, and then doing the soft parts in a washed gray (so a gray base, light gray highlights, then washed with black). I'll probably do a test model once these Hellblasters are finished but I was curious as to what people think.

Lore-wise maybe this could be the start of a Solar Auxilia; I imagine Roboute would view the way Tempestus Scions are made with the same level of enthusiasm as he holds for cherubim.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Would anyone who knows the Eldar codex be willing to proof-read my tournament army list to make sure I've got it right? I'm 95% sure it all adds up, and Battlescribe agrees, but additional pairs of eyes can't hurt.

I've put it up on google docs here.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Artum posted:

I must admit I was expecting something a bit bigger for the new Angron

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

What are the current options for finding opponents, other than Facebook groups? Are there any apps or websites used in the states that are fairly popular? Like swipe right or whatever for an opponent that appears to be a somewhat functional human being? I haven't had much luck with local Facebook groups; last time I tried, the only person interested appeared to be a teenager with heavy anime in the profile picture, and the day he was suggesting was Valentine's Day (my wife would probably be a bit annoyed if I blew her off to meet a random nerd instead)...might have been a swell person, but I would rather game with a fellow actual grown-up (while playing toy space soldier men).

Thanks!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What area are you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Anyone have the lists from Heat 3 of the WH GT tournament? Specifically this list of Orks?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/229954502