Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrSargent posted:

I'm assuming because they wanted to keep the price at $299. As far as I know, the next Model D clone that comes close is the SE-02 and that is $100 more.

and its design is loving awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

So did something actually happen with that synth compilation or was it just "hey everybody let's make some music and throw it in this hole"?

Nope, nope. The Compilation cometh. I’m sorry, the last two weeks have been quite busy for me.

Expect to hear more about it really soon (next 2-3 days-ish tops).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

So did something actually happen with that synth compilation or was it just "hey everybody let's make some music and throw it in this hole"?
finishing a track and then discarding it is the truest form of music :smugbert:

that said,

Electric Bugaloo posted:

HELLO MY BEAUTIFUL ANGELS

This is just to update y'all on the state of the mixtape, if you care about such things.

I have not forgotten you, it's just been a really busy week. Expect more mixtape news very soon.

PS- If you submitted after the deadline, your song will be included on the next one. Because that was what I said back in January. Yes, there will be a next one, silly. I already got all these late tracks to put on it :P .

e: drat, beaten

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Right on! No rush, just wondering what was up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It got me to finish a track, that already counts as a success.

If by finish we mean I said gently caress it and pushed it out the door because there was a deadline, but is there truly any other measure of completion?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

My Lovely Horse posted:

It got me to finish a track, that already counts as a success.

If by finish we mean I said gently caress it and pushed it out the door because there was a deadline, but is there truly any other measure of completion?

getting paid for it?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
lol who the gently caress am i kidding

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

So Math posted:

It's like that Tats/Dave Smith double interview where Tats is all "I liked poking around in your synths to learn about your process. Have you looked in mine?" and Dave's all "lol, no". Some designers put everything into their craft, and others ... don't.

I think John Bowen stated in an interview that they got a PPG Wave and opened it to figure out its innards before they started making the Prophet VS so it's not like they have completely clean hands in that regard.

(Bowen is responsible for the Solaris and worked with SCI before it became DSI)

The REV2 is a pretty nice and solid machine, but good lord those big chunky pushbuttons on the P6/OB6 are way better than the tiny plastic glowing ones used on the REV2.

Startyde posted:

Product and UX designers cost money lol

There are some design headscratchers (the DSI logo "Mistral" font, c'mon! :goonsay:) but the issue is that copyrights and trademarks last longer than patents. Copying the front panel overly literally might've opened them to lawsuits.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Laserjet 4P posted:

I think John Bowen stated in an interview that they got a PPG Wave and opened it to figure out its innards before they started making the Prophet VS so it's not like they have completely clean hands in that regard.

(Bowen is responsible for the Solaris and worked with SCI before it became DSI)

That's pretty cool. I faintly remember a story about Dave Smith putting the work in and teaching himself electronics by reverse engineering Moog way back when, but I don't think that's how he is anymore.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
From yesterday's video session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFqlI92UdQU

vidiot + 3trins + v4
some cross modulation

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Does the LxD resonance patch work with Optomix / other LPGs? if not, why not?

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

From yesterday's video session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFqlI92UdQU

vidiot + 3trins + v4
some cross modulation

No sound?

I like the wiggly thing in the rectangle.

Not trying to start a video rack but god y'all make it look fun

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

Does the LxD resonance patch work with Optomix / other LPGs? if not, why not?
the 12dB/oct channel is already a little resonant, so its much easier to patch and dial in, but ive done it with an optomix too 👍

quote:

No sound?

its really fun but not that easy to do video and audio without a big rack ime.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

JamesKPolk posted:

No sound?

I don't really do audio, mostly interested in video. Don't really own any audio modules... The 3trins outputs audio I guess, but it's not particularly interesting in itself. Used it to modulate the wiggly thing in the rectangle (it's what makes it wiggle!). Have been considering getting a 0-coast or something similar for modulation purposes though...

Here's an old video of some basic 3trins stuff with audio recorded (with some reverb) to illustrate. It's pretty drony and harsh...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRsGEn8HAE

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

fair and definitely not trying to hate on your process, idk I just like the combo. that video was cool! (I like reverbed drones)

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

but ive done it with an optomix too 👍

hy

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Without derailing this into TT Chat, why? I have a couple of nice turntables at home. The idea would be to get something portable/inexpensive that isn’t a Crosley Cruiser (which aren’t even all that dangerous to LPs, despite the common warning that I myself used to repeat like canon law, btw). Also which 1200 clone has a particularly excellent tonearm- the AT LP120? The new Pioneer? What are you even talking about?

Might be a late reply but honestly replacing the cartridgeon these portably ones is a must. Needs to have a pring for tonearm for counterweight. Most of these portables options don't even have good speakers, really. I wouldn't waste any money on them.

For a portable option I'd rather record it from a turntable or if you want to go analog, you can always record onto a chrome or metal cassette with C or S Dolby encoding to eliminate noise.

I think the Pioneer 1200 clones are a bit better since you won't neccesarily need to replace the counterweight for more control like the ATLP120, but honestly amy of those are fine from what I've seen and heard.

Again, I'd rather record to tape and play it on a walkman or from the usb stick. Portable options for records never worked well or sounded bad.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

its really fun but not that easy to do video and audio without a big rack ime.

Isn't the OP-Z sorta geared to be a tabletop solution for that? Assuming it ever actually comes out, that is.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

Isn't the OP-Z sorta geared to be a tabletop solution for that? Assuming it ever actually comes out, that is.

idk and i am going video rack instead of OP-1 so :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Might be a late reply but honestly replacing the cartridgeon these portably ones is a must. Needs to have a pring for tonearm for counterweight. Most of these portables options don't even have good speakers, really. I wouldn't waste any money on them.

For a portable option I'd rather record it from a turntable or if you want to go analog, you can always record onto a chrome or metal cassette with C or S Dolby encoding to eliminate noise.

I think the Pioneer 1200 clones are a bit better since you won't neccesarily need to replace the counterweight for more control like the ATLP120, but honestly amy of those are fine from what I've seen and heard.

Again, I'd rather record to tape and play it on a walkman or from the usb stick. Portable options for records never worked well or sounded bad.

https://youtu.be/wqNJp-S6gCA?t=00m55s

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

Trig Discipline posted:

I think so. Unsure if does audio primarily + visualization of the audio it does. For standalone video visualization of audio you also got the critter and guitari ETC (+video/rhythm scope). Both devices look pretty cool tbh.

They're both wholly digital iirc though, and that's a whole different realm when it comes to video. Analog video and it's history is one of the key things drawing me to this stuff. Main thing keeping from beginning on a proper lzx rack is money though. it's such a steep investment. Will have to force myself to master the stuff I alread have before delving further into the modular rabbit hole...

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

You asked about Vinyl, man. I can't control it.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

I think so. Unsure if does audio primarily + visualization of the audio it does. For standalone video visualization of audio you also got the critter and guitari ETC (+video/rhythm scope). Both devices look pretty cool tbh.

They're both wholly digital iirc though, and that's a whole different realm when it comes to video. Analog video and it's history is one of the key things drawing me to this stuff. Main thing keeping from beginning on a proper lzx rack is money though. it's such a steep investment. Will have to force myself to master the stuff I alread have before delving further into the modular rabbit hole...

I've often been tempted to order a Tachyons+ or something similar but 1) I don't have the space for it and 2) I'm not prolific enough to get any good use out of it. It's more a manipulator of an analog source than actually creating shapes but I like what it does more than what I've tried with the Critter and Guitari stuff and what I've seen from the OP-Z.

A few videos for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyWDTUf_koc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dALNCP1FqeI

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I've often been tempted to order a Tachyons+ or something similar but 1) I don't have the space for it and 2) I'm not prolific enough to get any good use out of it. It's more a manipulator of an analog source than actually creating shapes but I like what it does more than what I've tried with the Critter and Guitari stuff and what I've seen from the OP-Z.

A few videos for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyWDTUf_koc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dALNCP1FqeI

Tachyons+ is nice. You can add a lot of flavour to an image with glitch gear. I have a BPMC premium cable. Here it is adding some shiny rainbows to some video feedback I captured a while back. The video is low res and have some TBC issues, but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRcGqorcwGQ&t=132s

Definitely check out BPMC's stuff if you're into Tachyons+ gear: https://glitchart.com/ If you just want a small peak into this stuff, you could check out his fluxus diy kit. It's fairly cheap, does glitch stuff and has two CV/audio inputs. Haven't used it myself though. If you haven't got a CRT you usually need some sort of time base correction to get a stable image out of glitch gear btw

https://vimeo.com/134814619

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Years ago I threw my Virus TI2 into a rack and ditched the desktop case. Years later I realize I'm just not playing with it enough because of its location. Its just not fun in a rack. For some reason Access can't seem to sell me one - anyone know of a place?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
:siren: Updated TR-8S Rhythm Performer :siren:

https://www.roland.com/au/products/tr-8s/specifications/

- All the sounds of the TR-8, including the 707, 727, and 6-6 expansion kits
- Upgraded and more flexible effects
- Updated sequencing, including pattern chaining
- Stereo Mix Out plus SIX assignable outputs
- Dedicated trigger output with its own sequencer track (and assignable outs can be reconfigured to output trigger signals)

Street Price US $699. Availability TBA.

Edit:
It looks like it does samples from an SD card?

Edit 2:
The update also gets rid of the ugly green rim design. Someone talk me out of throwing money at Roland right now.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 5, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
That's a very pretty piece of kit

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

I don't need this in the slightest. I just bought a TR-8 about 8 months ago and have been loving it. But holy poo poo the features and even just the LOOK of the new one is really cool. The ability to load your own samples is great, but it would be really great if they had software for it that would help you manage and organize your samples.

I don't think I will sell my TR-8 and upgrade, as tempting as it may be. I figured out how to set up my TR-8 so that it acts as a MIDI Controller/Sequencer for an Ableton Drum Rack loaded with Simplers/Samples so I can achieve a sort of Frankensampler out of the TR-8, but it works great and I just can't justify another purchase with all of the other poo poo I need to get.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Plavski posted:

That's a very pretty piece of kit

too colourful for my tastes. i want to mod my digitakt and octatrack to be black & white only. or just black, lol

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Dyna Soar posted:

too colourful for my tastes. i want to mod my digitakt and octatrack to be black & white only. or just black, lol

Like the TR-8, you can probably change the color palette for the LEDs.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

MrSargent posted:

Like the TR-8, you can probably change the color palette for the LEDs.

It looks like this goes a step further and you can change the color of the slider rims.

I too just got a tr-8 not super long ago but I’m def gonna sell it to upgrade.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I went ahead and bought the 0-Coast. It better be as delightful as it looks and sounds.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'm feeling pretty bummed at this point with a TR-8, MiniBrute, and Prophet '08. :^(

JK, I prefer the look of the Prophet '08 over the newer model and am not that interested in the new stuff in the MiniBrute revision. TR-8S is extremely tempting though.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

With me tr-606 at the doctor's i too am tempted by the tr-8 and its trigger outs. Hopefully she'll pull thru

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I went ahead and bought the 0-Coast. It better be as delightful as it looks and sounds.

it's a lovely little noise factory. endlessly new. if you ever get bored of it, just buy more patch cables

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Know Such Peace posted:

I'm feeling pretty bummed at this point with a TR-8, MiniBrute, and Prophet '08. :^(

JK, I prefer the look of the Prophet '08 over the newer model and am not that interested in the new stuff in the MiniBrute revision. TR-8S is extremely tempting though.
serves you right for not buying vintage :smugdog:

here's hoping the tr-08 used prices drop along with the tr-8 :shrug: maybe i'll end up with one after all?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I was sick so I missed it but none of you posers wished anybody else a happy 303?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Also, I'm loving the 0-coast
https://twitter.com/Oldstench/status/970923208277938176?s=09

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Thorpe posted:

I too just got a tr-8 not super long ago but I’m def gonna sell it to upgrade.

So is everyone else, apparently. There's a dozen of 'm on sale on the local classifieds sites. All, ironically, barely used :v:

It took me a few grooveboxes to learn that I am but a simple person and that anything more complicated than the TR8 is not going to be put through its paces. Mine lives in the "Acid Corner" of the studio together with a x0xb0x and an SH101 and a cool old 4-track tape recorder/mixer.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Laserjet 4P posted:

So is everyone else, apparently. There's a dozen of 'm on sale on the local classifieds sites. All, ironically, barely used :v:

It took me a few grooveboxes to learn that I am but a simple person and that anything more complicated than the TR8 is not going to be put through its paces. Mine lives in the "Acid Corner" of the studio together with a x0xb0x and an SH101 and a cool old 4-track tape recorder/mixer.

Oh man don’t I know it. The used value of them dumped completely. I’ve had people lowballing me with offers of $100-$150 on my local classifieds.

I don’t care much about the sampling aspect, I have a digitakt for that but every time I used the TR-8 I wished it had a C and even maybe a D pattern button, and this one goes up to H!

Also, mega jealous of your 101

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Oldstench posted:

I was sick so I missed it but none of you posers wished anybody else a happy 303?

I also didnt observe talk like a pirate day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

wayfinder posted:

I also didnt observe talk like a pirate day

Well you sure are observing be-a-jerk day.