Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

sockpuppetclock posted:

The triple threat of rap battle music out of loving nowhere, the acid conveniently melting away the girl's clothes, and then literally the loving "this is our side" trope almost actually killed me.

Also the gay one being like, "Hey this isn't so bad ya'll, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Only just realised that Squad 13 are basically a more-dysfunctional-than-usual Monster Hunter team, right down to the lancer being seriously OP.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
02's smug loving face as she stole everyone's clothes made me laugh harder than anything else this season.

I somehow didn't notice until they found the old team's photo that the boys' uniforms have a big Y on the front and the girls have a big X.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Also the gay one being like, "Hey this isn't so bad ya'll, right?"

I wasn't convinced about the glasses girl being gay before but it seems like that really is where they're going with her. Nice, I hope they pull that off well.

Also 02 was so loving cute in this episode, we're truly blessed. Its actually kind of odd just how wholesome her and Hiro's relationship has been so far. Wheres the stupid misunderstandings? Wheres the angst!? Hiro calling her a normal girl was fantastic. I actually hope they really are just a total power couple throughout the whole series, they're great together.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This show is extremely good and I want more cute hijinks.

Zorome and Miku are the moe power couple. They're adorable.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I like that the two DEFINITELY gay kids got paired up together. The smug dude's look of vague academic interest is so good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Ambulance posted:

I like that the two DEFINITELY gay kids got paired up together. The smug dude's look of vague academic interest is so good.

I mean, it’s not implausible that Mitsuru’s gay, but I’m also not ruling out him reciprocating Kokoro’s interest (if not necessarily in the way she might hope). He did try to nick her ‘where do babies come from’ book, after all.

Or he’s just bi. That’s an option.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Zorome and Miku are the moe power couple. They're adorable.

theyre good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this rap is loving awful

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dogsicle posted:

this rap is loving awful

Honestly, I paused the show because I thought I had some lovely ad playing in the background at first.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I was simply left wishing that the ogling happened by less contrived means. But between last episode and today's 02 acting like a normal girl was :kimchi:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A good episode. I can buy Mitsuru being gay as he basically had no reaction to the outfit dissolving goop (then again maybe he just has no affection for his partner). The goop in itself is weird though. Does prove the FranXX aren't airtight though, so I guess no underwater expeditions in the future.

Nice to have confirmation from Dr FranXX that they are an experimental group, presumably to test out different methods of handling teams of Parasites to figure out if there are more efficient ways of handling them. It may also be the reason this team haven't been taught anything about how to handle emotions etc., perhaps it's been different for other teams.

I'm kind of weirded out that APE decided the best thing to do after the original squad got wiped was to seal off the rooms with police tape instead of clean them for future use, though then again maybe that's part of the experiment too, to see the reaction when the kids inevitably break in and realise their own mortality. I'm wondering if any of them are going to read through the diaries that were left behind.

It's also neat that 02 has been given a new pilot outfit to match the other girls as part of officially being a member of squad 13. I hope it's not too long before Hiro gives her a name.

Bad rap in combat is a Trigger classic. Ro Ro Fite Da Powa.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sindai posted:

02's smug loving face as she stole everyone's clothes made me laugh harder than anything else this season.

it was outstanding

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

this rap is loving awful

somebody post the rap so i may stand in judgement

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For a show as loving horny as this one is it's also incredibly, bizarrely wholesome.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Every episode I find new ways to ponder how these mechs were designed both from the standpoint of the show creators, and the in-universe perspective of Dr. Franxx. Today I wondered how the cockpits are sealed or rather, why they aren't sealed against the environment. The goop being able to seep into the cockpit area implies that there isn't a watertight seal once they close the face. That's a problem when you think about the threats Klaxorsaur can produce that this episode now introduces. I get that this was all an attempt to facilitate the episode's core drama, and it was a fun episode so pardon my overthinking things. . But the idea that a fairly viscous fluid seep into the cockpit tells me that both liquid and air based attacks would be effective against these robots.

That aside; I'd caught up on the past episode and the tone shift took a moment to get used too but the lightheartedness of these episodes is nice. Plus there is still some crunch to the episodes which I like.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zark the Damned posted:

I can buy Mitsuru being gay as he basically had no reaction to the outfit dissolving goop (then again maybe he just has no affection for his partner).

He has no reaction to almost everything. Including being around both boys and girls in swimsuits, and being around a bunch of buck rear end nekkid guys. He's a stoic person, and piloting with 02 is one of the few things to make him actual emote and react in general.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This show owns and the terrible rap also owns and there better be more of it.

Favorite little thing this episode: Zorome and Miku sulking in their respective top bunks in the exact same pose. They’re a great pair.

Also, I’m now totally convinced that the reason Mitsuru and glasses girl are paired up is they’re both homo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Brought To You By posted:

Every episode I find new ways to ponder how these mechs were designed both from the standpoint of the show creators, and the in-universe perspective of Dr. Franxx. Today I wondered how the cockpits are sealed or rather, why they aren't sealed against the environment. The goop being able to seep into the cockpit area implies that there isn't a watertight seal once they close the face. That's a problem when you think about the threats Klaxorsaur can produce that this episode now introduces. I get that this was all an attempt to facilitate the episode's core drama, and it was a fun episode so pardon my overthinking things. . But the idea that a fairly viscous fluid seep into the cockpit tells me that both liquid and air based attacks would be effective against these robots.

That aside; I'd caught up on the past episode and the tone shift took a moment to get used too but the lightheartedness of these episodes is nice. Plus there is still some crunch to the episodes which I like.

There's serious design costs to making things airtight and watertight, since you then have to worry about things like life support and oxygen circulation within a closed system. Then the fact that these are combat robots designed to take seriously hard knocks(remember Strelizia getting jackhammered into a steel wall a billion times?) means that to waterproof the cockpits you not only have to make a functioning, closed-circuit life support system that will also not suffer failure or interruption when taking severe damage or else you suffocate your pilots. It's possible that Klaxosaurs simply haven't deployed liquid/gas based natural weaponry before so it's never been a major design concern.

These robots are obviously playing fast and loose with science fantasy so the Mystery Science Theater 3000 intro applies here but it's not implausible that they just aren't airtight due to design economy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tsob posted:

He has no reaction to almost everything. Including being around both boys and girls in swimsuits, and being around a bunch of buck rear end nekkid guys. He's a stoic person, and piloting with 02 is one of the few things to make him actual emote and react in general.

Basically everyone and their partner is fairly similar in disposition and their reactions to things. Ikuno and Mitsuru are both rather cold and aloof but Ikuno broke her facade a little. That also might be because Mitsuru is still popping pain pills and still affected by his ride with 02.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

For a show as loving horny as this one is it's also incredibly, bizarrely wholesome.

They did an entire episode about the boys ogling the girls without ever inviting the audience to ogle the girls too.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So what Franxx would Hiro and Naomi have used hadn't they failed the tests? Is there a spare lying around or did it fall into the same plothole as Naomi?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They're spare pilots probably.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Brought To You By posted:

It's possible that the seams/seals are made of the same material that the girl's suits are made of, therefore were eaten away by said viscous goop. You wouldn't want to make the joints and seams out of the same material that your defensive plating is made of. You'd end up like a stiff statue or causing significant wear from two armor plates rubbing against each other.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Lurking Haro posted:

So what Franxx would Hiro and Naomi have used hadn't they failed the tests? Is there a spare lying around or did it fall into the same plothole as Naomi?

I think Naomi is straight up dead, considering the last time we saw her was in a vision that a main character had while at death's door.

"She got taken to the hospital". Last time we saw someone in serious medical condition was Mitsuru and he was still in the birdcage visible to the other kids.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
To be fair, Mitsuru was still a pilot while Naomi was being shipped away even before she was hurt so there's no reason she'd recuperate in the same place. She's almost certainly dead, but I wouldn't go taking that as any real proof. Even the vision thing could be explained as her being a projection of Hiro’s consciousness if the writers wanted.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Naomi was just taken to a farm upstate where she can run and play with all the other failed parasites.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

There's serious design costs to making things airtight and watertight, since you then have to worry about things like life support and oxygen circulation within a closed system. Then the fact that these are combat robots designed to take seriously hard knocks(remember Strelizia getting jackhammered into a steel wall a billion times?) means that to waterproof the cockpits you not only have to make a functioning, closed-circuit life support system that will also not suffer failure or interruption when taking severe damage or else you suffocate your pilots. It's possible that Klaxosaurs simply haven't deployed liquid/gas based natural weaponry before so it's never been a major design concern.

These robots are obviously playing fast and loose with science fantasy so the Mystery Science Theater 3000 intro applies here but it's not implausible that they just aren't airtight due to design economy.
I hadn't considered the cost of implementing a watertight seal, just the practicality given this specific situation and it's not like there are large bodies of water that would make an immediate need to have watertight seals should fights enter into that environment. Klaxosaur attacks are equally unknown as the majority of the ones we see rely on physical attacks and there's more to be said for defense against the larger type's energy beams than airborne attacks.

And since you bring it up, these mechs really are insanely durable because that piston action Strelizia took was pretty brutal yet the overall damage didn't look that bad. Despite getting slammed for maybe a couple minutes, I only remember seeing scuff marks. And since I'm in the business of thinking how people in-universe think; I give my props to Dr. Franxx for designing a mech that can take that hard a pounding with their back against the wall and still get back up and return it in kind.

I know this was a super robot-style series from the first episode when Strelizia transformed. I just like to nitpicking how these things operate.

Lurking Haro posted:

I'm pretty sure she died and they just told the kids she is in the hospital. But it would be nice to know where this 5th experimental FranXX is lying around in cold storage. It would be an interesting opportunity to introduce a new pair into the group, but we already have this other unit of pilots lurking in the background now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It would actually be in character for APE to lie to this particular group about the fate of another pilot, given they've apparently withheld the fates of all pilots from them as part of the experiment but seem more forthcoming with everyone else.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As far as the water-tightness of the mecha, we should also consider that the liquid was clearly some kind of acid, and it's got to be possible that the girls' combat suits are made of the same or similar material as the mecha faceplates, so the stuff just ate a hole into the mecha and then dropped onto the suits which started to melt too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Props to Zorome fighting back against the girls barrage with the broom.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

Props to Zorome fighting back against the girls barrage with the broom.
They had so much stuff to throw too. It was a bit ridiculous!!!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

They had so much stuff to throw too. It was a bit ridiculous!!!

How many bowls do you have in your bathroom?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

jng2058 posted:

As far as the water-tightness of the mecha, we should also consider that the liquid was clearly some kind of acid, and it's got to be possible that the girls' combat suits are made of the same or similar material as the mecha faceplates, so the stuff just ate a hole into the mecha and then dropped onto the suits which started to melt too.

I didn't get the impression that it was corroding the metal. Even the spine and display console on the girls suits were just fine. It was just magical cloth-melting acid.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I loved that shot so much, because it happened shortly after I'd been thinking "you know, this scene happens a lot and they always throw more stuff than they should realistically have to hand".

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The_White_Crane posted:

I loved that shot so much, because it happened shortly after I'd been thinking "you know, this scene happens a lot and they always throw more stuff than they should realistically have to hand".

Well the dining room was off-limits, so maybe they ate their meals in the bath. It'd explain all the bowls.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The comment about having to clean the bathroom while the food and laundry just get done by unseen maids was curious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

They did an entire episode about the boys ogling the girls without ever inviting the audience to ogle the girls too.

This is a really good point, actually. Come to think of it, the beach episode is also unexpectedly light on fanservice as well; you had a couple of shots at the beginning and then the rest of the episode was character development without any real focus on them being in swimsuits.

Studio A-1 hooking everyone with the up front BEEP BEEP IT'S ABOUT SEX to rope people in to watching their wholesome show about children growing up and learning about relationships.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Also, I'm glad Goro has gotten out of just being on the sidelines with group interactions over the past three episodes and Futoshi is quickly becoming the most endearing member of the show for me. He's so straightforward with his feelings towards Kokoro, just a stone faced delivery of "I looked because you're amazingly beautiful".

doomisland posted:

The comment about having to clean the bathroom while the food and laundry just get done by unseen maids was curious.
I'm sure it can be explained by the staff only taking care of stuff that can be handled by dumb-waiters or similar devices but we don't know how the food gets on the table. I imagine that Nana and the other guy are the only people the Parasites see on a regular basis and this absence of other people is probably related to this group being an experimental one.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The number of bowls did multiply as even in this episode we never saw that many and you'd need stacks of them to be throwing them for that long. Maybe they are self replicating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Visual gags are good.

• Locked thread