Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
the internet comments section have deemed the young man in the white shirt to be a paid actor. ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SyRauk posted:

I had no idea Tiger Mom was still relevant today.

she just published a very bad "both sides" book.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

She should be hired as a writer on South Park.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm getting very sick of the last monologue being an old man's rant against young people and social media

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Does it come from being an old comic? Comics live half their existence on social media these days, hell, so do celebrities. Being an old with so many youngs on the internet can't be easy. Hell, I tried to give Twitter a shot and it seemed less like a conversation place than a promotion platform mostly for nobodies, a few somebodies, and everyone tryin' to be hella smart or sell themselves harder than the next guy. Whole thing is motivated by an economy of attention. Probably frustrates the dude, when the dumbest edgy sayings and most hurt dipshits get as much attention as his carefully crafted comedy and political philosophy does.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

doctorfrog posted:

Does it come from being an old comic? Comics live half their existence on social media these days, hell, so do celebrities. Being an old with so many youngs on the internet can't be easy. Hell, I tried to give Twitter a shot and it seemed less like a conversation place than a promotion platform mostly for nobodies, a few somebodies, and everyone tryin' to be hella smart or sell themselves harder than the next guy. Whole thing is motivated by an economy of attention. Probably frustrates the dude, when the dumbest edgy sayings and most hurt dipshits get as much attention as his carefully crafted comedy and political philosophy does.

twitter is the worst parts of somethingawful and reddit distilled into pure poo poo

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

his carefully crafted comedy and political philosophy does.

:laffo:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

It's extra ridiculous to have that rant the same episode as the high school kids. Sure, he said "oh man you kids are sure a lot better than the rest of your generation!!!11" but he doesn't seem to understand that they're using social media for their cause. It's a fantastic propaganda tool, that's why Russia did what they did. And anyone can use that to their advantage, and finally some young people are apparently trying to harness it for their own agenda. He completely misses the point.

Kind of like harping on "journalists" who only care about getting clicks. Well guess what, you won't pay for "real journalists" to do their work anymore, so how do you expect anyone to be able to do what you want if not for clicks? Or does he expect every "real journalist" to work for free because they're altruistic?

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Especially funny seeing him rant against one of his biggest cheerleaders: The Huffington Post. They even praised this week's opening monologue with the comments section going crazy about how they can't live without him.

Also love how Tiger Mom said we should listen to people on the right who complain about immigrants. They also rant against people like black people, Mexicans, and the Dakota Access Pipeline protesters, who happen to consist of people who have been here for centuries.

Those kids were aware of Maher's railing against young people because they dished it back to him about how older generations hosed up this country, and he got defensive and backed the gently caress up quick, even in Overtime.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I'm getting very sick of the last monologue being an old man's rant against young people and social media

Crusty Nutsack posted:

It's extra ridiculous to have that rant the same episode as the high school kids. Sure, he said "oh man you kids are sure a lot better than the rest of your generation!!!11" but he doesn't seem to understand that they're using social media for their cause. It's a fantastic propaganda tool, that's why Russia did what they did. And anyone can use that to their advantage, and finally some young people are apparently trying to harness it for their own agenda. He completely misses the point.

Kind of like harping on "journalists" who only care about getting clicks. Well guess what, you won't pay for "real journalists" to do their work anymore, so how do you expect anyone to be able to do what you want if not for clicks? Or does he expect every "real journalist" to work for free because they're altruistic?

Did you even watch it? He was going after obnoxious, rampant clickbait articles, not the important stuff. Calm down goon, jfc

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

viral spiral posted:

Did you even watch it? He was going after obnoxious, rampant clickbait articles, not the important stuff. Calm down goon, jfc

Yes, and part of that was about the economics of social media and clickbait culture or whatever you want to call it. Sorry I'll try to be less ragey in my discussion of his ragey hypocritical monologues next time

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gimmedaroot posted:

Especially funny seeing him rant against one of his biggest cheerleaders: The Huffington Post. They even praised this week's opening monologue with the comments section going crazy about how they can't live without him.

Also love how Tiger Mom said we should listen to people on the right who complain about immigrants. They also rant against people like black people, Mexicans, and the Dakota Access Pipeline protesters, who happen to consist of people who have been here for centuries.

Those kids were aware of Maher's railing against young people because they dished it back to him about how older generations hosed up this country, and he got defensive and backed the gently caress up quick, even in Overtime.

These kids own.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
What would be interesting to see is if this marks the start of Maher specifically having more young folks on aside from that one trying to carry the torch on the environmental side. I'd imagine most of the panel thinning of late comes down to the old guard balking as it is while the grifters dig in deeper, so this could be a wake up call for him.

I have a sinking feeling though that he's more liable to retread his Airline Food argument if/(when) the time comes for These Kids to be their (owed/captive*) electoral ace in the hole---yet don't on account of their choices being even more terrible than usual as little seems to have been learned.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

One of the topics I haven't heard a peep about on this show or others lately is that of health insurance premiums still skyrocketing the last couple of years. Trump lied again. Not to mention dozens of other major Trump promises...you might as well flush them down the toilet.

Also, I'm loving the odd Republicans still defending Trump. Astounding and magical levels of intellectual dishonesty. Some of them are STILL raging about Bill Clinton for things over twenty years back and then they do a hilarious 180° with Trump in that it "happened years ago" and "er...I didn't vote for him on his morals." Trump has Clinton's sexual appetite...what he lacks in charm he makes up with $$$.

We only have ~6.5 more years of Trump chowing down on calamari, caviar and crab legs at Mar-a-Lago and strutting in his wingtips while simultaneously pantomiming old angry poor people.

Former Human posted:

Can Bill ever stop having on his celebrity acquaintances touting their vanity projects? Zooey Deschanel seemed to have no idea what she was even there for, and then the two of them starting arguing about whether you can eat bread "because it's full of fungus." What the fuuuuuuck, shut uuuuup.

The funniest moment of this season.

VH4Ever posted:

...the biggest thing that frustrates me about the Era of Trump is that people think that because the current folks in charge are literally the worst, it makes the likes of Frum and even GWB "good" somehow. Yeah, no, not good still. Bill as you correctly point out drinks hard from this type of kool-aid, and it's pathetic. Seems almost like he does because these sorts of assholes support his less-than-evolved Middle East political positions.

We're in the part of the cycle where formerly demonized people and institutions are getting strange rehabilitations. Ten years ago Bush was Hitler and the CIA/FBI were all war criminals etc. Now they're beautiful paragons against Hitler Trump or something.

Now Maher is close to hailing Trump as the great peacemaker of 2018 if this NK meeting goes well.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

twitter is the worst parts of somethingawful and reddit distilled into pure poo poo

Twitter is a scourge and it must be annihilated.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Flagpole sitting...

I'd be OK with this one coming back.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

He is the first person in a long time that they can't wait to either leave in the dust bin of inconvenient history like a Hampton that managed to actually make it to old age or begrudgingly rewrite in post-mortem to be more palatable and pliable like King.

No matter what happens his performances in The Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions will remain preserved.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 11, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ExiledTinkerer posted:

...as they merrily play along with ginning up this latest chapter in the desperate Russia Saga narrative for cavalier saber rattling and to put in early/continuous work on trying to disqualify him, and anybody he endorses, which will probably amount conveniently to anybody critical of the Dem Establishment, for especially 2018 and even 2020---

The longer this goes on the more it's coming across as xenophobic. These hysteric, inelegant and Russophobic ramblings are very uncultured. If I took CNN/MSNBC and others to heart I'd be freaking out at seeing Russian names or Russian people on the streets.

I'm surprised more haven't called for an investigation into Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva completely and utterly dominating the US competitors a few weeks back.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Zogo posted:

We only have ~6.5 more years of Trump chowing down on calamari, caviar and crab legs

Yeah right not unless they are deep fried and slathered in ketchup

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Zogo posted:

We're in the part of the cycle where formerly demonized people and institutions are getting strange rehabilitations. Ten years ago Bush was Hitler and the CIA/FBI were all war criminals etc. Now they're beautiful paragons against Hitler Trump or something.

You can thank the utterly worthless Democratic Party for the rehabilitation of the most evil people and institutions on this planet due to their loss to Trump.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

His last new rule was actually good this week instead of incoherent rambling about kids these days.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mastajake posted:

His last new rule was actually good this week instead of incoherent rambling about kids these days.

No it sucked. While a lot of stuff he says makes sense, his heart is clearly in the wrong place and it really shows.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

"Democrats, grow some balls!"

"Also the best slogan is "let's get back to normal"

:downs:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Bill's really worrying me as of late. He's advocated for privatizing SS on overtime. :smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Billy Bush, the panel got together and decided to serve you a heaping portion of: your own rear end."

Watching that gently caress get destroyed filled me with a deep satisfaction.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, this was pretty bad overall and with OT and, in a rarity, nigh unto 100% of it was Maher's own unforced errors and idiocy rather than the panel.

Back to normal*, Democrats don't attack their own*(Read: Don't you dare come after an Establishment Incumbent Dem from the left, Blue Dogs top overriding choice in Red states, let's go 2016~), still trying to carry that bucket full of water with the bottom cut out for Franken, etc.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Bill's really worrying me as of late. He's advocated for privatizing SS on overtime. :smith:

Bill Maher is a Republican who likes sex and weed.

If the GOP changed overnight to drop the morality/religion stuff and went all in on legalizing marijuana, Bill would become the biggest GOP supporter you've ever seen.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Isn't a Republican who likes weed just a libertarian?

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
And he's made no secret in the past about being a Libertarian...when he was on Politically Incorrect.

His move to Real Time was where he actually started to get more "progressive", supporting Bernie Sanders and getting closer to Michael Moore, who are as far from Libertarian as you can get and it wasn't because of weed legalization. Pretty much everyone is ok with legalizing weed except organized crime, the private prison industry, and religious fundamentalists.

He's just been bouncing back and forth between principals again. Look at his criticism of Hillary during his latest New Rule, right after defending Nancy Pelosi who is just as much of a Blue Dog Dem.

But privatizing Social Security is a pretty far right wing thing for him to take up after being against it just a few years ago, which was something his hero George Carlin used to rail against in his standup. He's just going with whoever his writers happen to be at the moment and its confusing his audience.

And is it just me, or is it the same lady who screams "we love you Bill!" every week at the beginning of his monologue? its very weird.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

banned from Starbucks posted:

If recall Maher has identified as a libertarian going back to the 90's. He kind of sorta got identified as something more left during the 2000's because he strongly disliked Dubbaya. Said dislike pretty much hinges on Bush's pandering to the evangelical vote and as other have posted before Maher likes weed and sex.

He loves to say things that are shocking to prudes and he's been able to spin that bravado into career as political commentator in-spite of having a shallow grasp of the issues. He's proto Gen Xer.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gimmedaroot posted:

And is it just me, or is it the same lady who screams "we love you Bill!" every week at the beginning of his monologue? its very weird.

They have canned laughter and other sounds piped in now like a sitcom. If you listen closely you can hear the same laughs from week to week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Gb9FPAL2s

Years ago it wasn't like this because you used to be able to hear the audiences gasping/groaning at certain jokes. Now you can only tell that happens when Bill turns left towards the audience and yells at them.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

side_burned posted:

If recall Maher has identified as a libertarian going back to the 90's. He kind of sorta got identified as something more left during the 2000's because he strongly disliked Dubbaya. Said dislike pretty much hinges on Bush's pandering to the evangelical vote and as other have posted before Maher likes weed and sex.

He loves to say things that are shocking to prudes and he's been able to spin that bravado into career as political commentator in-spite of having a shallow grasp of the issues. He's proto Gen Xer.

It's almost like Bill needs to stop having neocons and centrists on his show all the time simply because they oppose Trump. I'm not surprised these viewpoints (privatizing SS, etc.) are starting to rub off on Bill as some sort of side effect. I've been saying this all along to leftists: stop taking sides in personal right-wing feuds, they're all loving evil.

Really, gently caress Trump, Richard Spencer, John McCain, and David Frum all the same.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

All the Parkland kids are great and I hope we are still hearing from them for years into the future instead of people like the Tiger Mom.

David Hogg seemed drunk in Overtime. Other than that, I agree.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Panel was actually decent this week. Good discussion and very little ragechat. Bill Maher continues to be an old man waving his fist at kids these day, however.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
That lady on the panel was horrible.

And he yelled again at the audience for being sensitive snowflakes while acting like a sensitive snowflake about his joke bombing.

Zogo posted:

They have canned laughter and other sounds piped in now like a sitcom. If you listen closely you can hear the same laughs from week to week.

Years ago it wasn't like this because you used to be able to hear the audiences gasping/groaning at certain jokes. Now you can only tell that happens when Bill turns left towards the audience and yells at them.

Yes, I suspected as much, but some people freak out and call you a conspiracy nut if you point that out. The "we love you Bill" lady at the beginning of Maher's show is like the woman in the 70's sitcom Good Times who would yell "Right on!" every time a character would make a political statement written by Norman Lear. Same exact sample every week.

Last week there was an online town meeting webcast with Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Michael Moore discussing economic inequality that had over a million live viewers. They've all been guests on his show in the past, but that time has now gone based on the last couple of seasons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Bill basically is a lolbertarian and has been for awhile. He's just left-ish on certain issues and a self righteous blowhard, and for the Bush years that was enough, and then the GOP acted like a bunch of children during Obama. He would still be passing if he could just stop yelling at clouds.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Lol at Bill trying to say Hogg calling for a boycott is “finding a loophole” in the 1st amendment.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mastajake posted:

Lol at Bill trying to say Hogg calling for a boycott is “finding a loophole” in the 1st amendment.

I haven't watched the episode. Is this about Israel?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I haven't watched the episode. Is this about Israel?

No, the David Hogg-Laura Ingram situation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Wow, Bill is loving super bad and wrong tonight.

Roseanne good, David Hogg bad :rolleyes:

You smoked too big a weed tonight, Bill.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
He said some crazy poo poo tonight but the New Rule was on point and even made fun of the fact that he is just an angry old man. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"Sanction Russian jerks, because it hurts them."

"Boycotting celebrity jerks is morally wrong! Also, someone tried to do it to me once."