Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

We pumped one part of a big rear end chemical reaction and now we have to stabilize the rest of the reaction.

Climate has never been stable, we were always going to have to geoengineer. It's not like we would have been fine during an ice age or something 5000 years from now. Humans living on this planet was always going to mean locking the climate into a tight range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Climate has never been stable, we were always going to have to geoengineer.

maybe stability isn't a binary? just a thought for your smooth brain to ponder

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

self unaware posted:

maybe stability isn't a binary? just a thought for your smooth brain to ponder

Humans are shortening what should have been a thousands of years long period of favorable climates into like one and a half of a global agricultural civilization and we should fix that. But like, long term humans were not ever going to get some sort of eternal favorable climate that lasted forever and ever and we always were going to have to take up the reins of controlling climate. No matter what we did. It would have been better when it would have been thousands of years from now and on a longer time scale but we never ever had the option of "just keep it like it is" without major geoengineering projects.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But like, long term humans were not ever going to get some sort of eternal favorable climate that lasted forever and ever and we always were going to have to take up the reins of controlling climate. No matter what we did.

long term the sun consumes the earth and we all die in a fire so really why geoengineer? we should be trying to get off the planet, i suggest you take the first one way ticket to mars in fact

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

self unaware posted:

long term the sun consumes the earth and we all die in a fire so really why geoengineer?

Events hundreds or thousands of years into the future are things people can think about now compared to things millions or billions of years in the future. Right now climate is naturally very favorable and we are ruining it but beyond that it's not like nature will always grace us with this good climate and at some point geoengineering will have to change from "restoring nature" to "mitigating nature".

Like There is probably an argument that we shouldn't be ruining the atmosphere now with fossil fuel because our great great great x10 grandchildren are going to need it later to ruin the atmosphere then.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Actually, we kinda need CO2 to be below 800 ppm for things such as "going indoors" or "living in a city" to be safe without breathing equipment. That's easily achievable within our lifetimes!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8IVI0sZ6F8

Electricity consumption in the US has been flat for 10 years and is trending down.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8IVI0sZ6F8

Electricity consumption in the US has been flat for 10 years and is trending down.

Electric Cars may (or may not) change that. That is not necessarily a bad thing.

Global electric car registrations increased 55% to 3.2M in 2017, according to research firm ZSW. EV Registrations in China topped 1M for the first time.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3334038-global-electric-car-registrations-55-percent-last-year?uprof=79&dr=1#email_link

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Paradoxish posted:

I think geoengineering is going to be a much, much harder sell than most people think too. Geoengineering projects sound good to a lot of people in the abstract, but a concrete plan to spend trillions of dollars to literally shade the sun is actually apocalyptic and scary as hell. Even the most uninformed people are going to hear about proposals like that and get freaked out in a "how did we let it get this bad?" kind of way.

Conservatives will probably jump on geoengineering approaches anyway, but it's going to be an uphill battle to get any kind of public traction. These are expensive and frightening plans with complex international implications. There's a fine line they need to walk where upselling geoengineering too hard is exactly the same as saying that we're hosed and need to be doing anything we can to cut emissions.

I don't see why that matters. Climate policy isn't decided democratically, but by government, corporate and NGO officials sitting around in closed-door meetings. We're not going to build a $10 trillion sun shade because it's a moronic idea, but there isn't really any reason to care about how scary things are in the abstract to an ignorant and indifferent public.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Geoengineering on that scale is effectively decided democratically because the cost is large enough to be a political issue.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Geoengineering on that scale is effectively decided democratically because the cost is large enough to be a political issue.

Lol if you think anything in the US is actually democratically decided.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

The whole reason BECCS was chosen as the preferred geoengineering option was specifically to avoid that. BECCS generates electricity that can be sold to offset the cost that would require democratic consent, similar to how we're willing to invest trillions in solar and wind.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It seems like you couldn’t do the insane stuff like sun shields preemptively so the only time anyone would be offering that as a solution would be in a time the problem was already so bad no one really would be in a position to say no.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Was curious about the health effects of CO2 concentration.

http://www.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/jun252006/1607.pdf

Got to 409ppm this may at Mauna Loa, lol: https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/weekly.html

Bonus lol that the paper cites the current CO2 levels as 373ppm. When was this ancient poo poo written? Oh... 2006.

I was thinking about this today.
426ppm is less than 9 years off at current atmospheric CO2 growth rates - and this little paper says that's the estimated lifetime toxic CO2 level.
600ppm, where transitory levels start to cause CO2 poisoning symptoms, is about 80 years off at current rates.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

gently caress off with that terrifying bullshit, I want to live my middle class lifestyle in peace without having to worry about choking on the literal air I breathe. just get on with the mr. burns sun shade already, whatever you have to do

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Alas, a Sun shade may reduce photosynthesis, and so CO2 would accumulate even faster in the atmosphere.

The only real option is to somehow reduce CO2 levels, or like, live in purified containers.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Evil_Greven posted:

Alas, a Sun shade may reduce photosynthesis, and so CO2 would accumulate even faster in the atmosphere.

The only real option is to somehow reduce CO2 levels, or like, live in purified containers.

You guys are such pessimists. There's a lot of money to be made selling bottled air subscriptions and personal CO2 scrubbers to scared rich people.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Evil_Greven posted:

I keep coming back to sedimentation, weathering, and algaculture as the main part of our global chemical cycle to focus on actually dealing with CO2 concentration, not just temperature.

Although mismanaging these can lead to huge cascades.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

Air conditioned mansions for the rich it is!

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I'm in small-town northern Ireland for work right now and apparently every household burns about 50-100 kilos of coal every week for warmth. Anecdotally of course but I've been in a LOT of villages and homes the last few weeks.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Evil_Greven posted:

I was thinking about this today.
426ppm is less than 9 years off at current atmospheric CO2 growth rates - and this little paper says that's the estimated lifetime toxic CO2 level.
600ppm, where transitory levels start to cause CO2 poisoning symptoms, is about 80 years off at current rates.

Well, gently caress.

I wanted to live, dammit. :(

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

Not really man. Most ventilation systems are designed to keep CO2 levels at 1,000 ppm. People on submarines live with CO2 levels around ~3,500 ppm, spiking as high as 10,000. It will produce some minor unpleasentness but not anything worse than, you know, setting the thermostat a few degrees off your preferred level.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Thug Lessons posted:

Not really man. Most ventilation systems are designed to keep CO2 levels at 1,000 ppm. People on submarines live with CO2 levels around ~3,500 ppm, spiking as high as 10,000. It will produce some minor unpleasentness but not anything worse than, you know, setting the thermostat a few degrees off your preferred level.

Yeah I don't think the concentration at Mauna loa will tell you much about when CO2 might have any long term health impacts. Urban areas already have a significantly higher concentration and there aren't any compelling health impacts.

I'd focus more on the ocean acidification side of CO2 for impacts.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The future middle class will be able to afford positive-pressure sleeping tents with pre-filtered and scrubbed air ensuring CO2-levels equivalent to the pre-industrial era. Sleeping masks flowing filtered air for lower price points, minimum wage earners will just have to deal with permanently stuffy rooms. Bottled air is already a hot commodity in major east-asian cities, so time is running out to get in on the ground floor for the defining products of the 21st century.

Also what would be the sign of large-scale CO2 induced cognitive decline? For all we know it's already happening. Many aspects of modern society make more sense assuming the entire population is slightly addled from long-term elevated CO2 levels.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nocturtle posted:

The future middle class will be able to afford positive-pressure sleeping tents with pre-filtered and scrubbed air ensuring CO2-levels equivalent to the pre-industrial era. Sleeping masks flowing filtered air for lower price points, minimum wage earners will just have to deal with permanently stuffy rooms. Bottled air is already a hot commodity in major east-asian cities, so time is running out to get in on the ground floor for the defining products of the 21st century.

Also what would be the sign of large-scale CO2 induced cognitive decline? For all we know it's already happening. Many aspects of modern society make more sense assuming the entire population is slightly addled from long-term elevated CO2 levels.

Primary schools regularly exceeding 1250ppm in classrooms begin to see diminished performance in some reasoning categories with some students, with most students experiencing impairment in most categories by 1500.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

How impaired are we talking here? Will I still be able to enjoy my long pointless Sunday drives to eat double-beef burgers and the occasional long-haul flight to the rest of the countries on my 'bucket list'? I shouldn't need to do any maths, the lower classes usually do the calculations at the register

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Potato Salad posted:

Primary schools regularly exceeding 1250ppm in classrooms begin to see diminished performance in some reasoning categories with some students, with most students experiencing impairment in most categories by 1500.

1500 is a bigger number than 600

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

An HVAC system is only going to keep is so far above ambient, yes?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

CO2 is not uniformly distributed in the atmosphere

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hobbesmaster posted:

An HVAC system is only going to keep is so far above ambient, yes?

The recommendation to the Texas BoE was for teachers to open a window when levels reached 1000 :smith:

Classrooms in Texas would regularly exceed 2000

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

You get cognitive decline from setting the thermostat a few degrees too high in the summer. In fact large parts of the world lack air conditioning and are unable to set a thermostat at all, or for that matter proper ventilation to assure optimal CO2 levels. And there's a whole host of other factors too. Atmospheric CO2 is a drop in the bucket of this problem and this problem is a drop in the bucket of the problems created by rising atmospheric CO2.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

The future middle class will be able to afford positive-pressure sleeping tents with pre-filtered and scrubbed air ensuring CO2-levels equivalent to the pre-industrial era. Sleeping masks flowing filtered air for lower price points, minimum wage earners will just have to deal with permanently stuffy rooms.

Also you'd just need to scrub the breathing air, right? Buy stock in CPAP companies?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Thug Lessons posted:

The rise in the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide and the effects on human health, circa 2001

quote:

In 1971, NASA carried out a 90-day study of the effects of exposure of humans to 0.5% atmosphere content of CO2, i.e. 15 times the present atmosphere level (2). This showed significant alterations in the calcium and phosphorus body patterns leading to bone degradation and the deposition of calcium in the body tissues. Such a result can be fatal.
The important point is not the instantaneous toxic or short-term toxic levels of CO2 which are important. It is accepted that these levels will not be produced in the atmosphere by human activities. The question arises as to the effects of exposure for a human lifetime to an atmospheric concentration of CO2 which is lower than toxic levels but still higher than at present times.

This particular research goes into detail about what may really be safe for humans. I have as of yet been unable to find the referenced NASA research. I did find this on page 48 of Bioastronautics Data Book - NASA Technical Reports Server - Second Edition (NTRS):

quote:

for prolonged exposures of 40 days, concentrations of carbon dioxide in air less than 0.5 percent (Zone A) cause no known biochemical or other effect; concentrations between 0.5 and 3.0 percent (Zone D) cause adaptive biochemical changes which may be considered a mild physiological strain; and concentrations above 3.0 percent (Zone C) cause pathological changes in basic physiological functions.
This was a shorter time period, but it does agree with 5000ppm as a limit. Research for/on submariners was done ages ago Position Paper: The Toxic Effects of Chronic Exposures to Low Levels of Carbon Dioxide which mostly agrees with the NASA report, and finds changes at 0.3% but also not particularly reduced cognitive ability until after 0.5%; the maximum length of study appears to be 90 days and suggested 0.8% for 90 days as a limit, with a maximum of 4% for only a short exposure.

A bit further in the first paper:

quote:

An increase in the atmospheric concentration of CO2 by 20.6% and would reduce the hydroxyl ion concentration and increase the hydrogen ion concentration by this amount, giving a pH value of 7.319. This value is just outside the range of normal pH values of human blood and indicates the onset of acidosis. The CO2 concentration prior to industrialization was 280 p.p.m. (4). This is 20% below the present value. Under these conditions, the CO2 has been removed from Equation 5 and the bicarbonate and hence the hydroxyl ion would have increased. This reduces the hydrogen ion concentration and the value of the pH of the blood of humans prior to industrialization was 7.49. or just outside the upper limit of 7.45 in present-day humans. These values demonstrate that humans can survive a change in the atmospheric concentration of about +/– 20% from the present value of 353 p.p.m.
Equation 5: HCO3– ⇔ OH– + CO2
This is how the author comes up with 426ppm being above the safe limit. Earlier in the paper, there is discussion of CO2 tolerance up to 5000ppm, but that's derived from calculations within water rather than blood.

Alas, the author thought we would have until at least 2050 to act, and probably not many people are really studying what could happen:

quote:

As noted above, the present concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere and the predicted rise to 425.8 p.p.m. by 2050 AD are still within the limits of control by the human body. However, the accompanying changes in blood acidity caused by a rise in the atmospheric content of CO2 cannot be dismissed as insignificant when there has been no study of this aspect of the change in the atmosphere. At present, there is no effort to establish whether such changes are happening or are likely to happen two or more generations from the present date.

Effects with a CO2 level in excess of 600ppm by 2050 (per an IPCC projection), assuming growth in emissions over time:

quote:

The blood pH of all humans would then be in the region where acidosis occurs and every human on Earth will suffer from acidosis for all of their lifetime. Humans born after 2050AD will begin to show the effects of acidosis from birth. The minimum effects of acidosis are restlessness and mild hypertension. As the degree of acidosis increases, somnolence and confusion follow. The second known effect of acidosis is the development of weaknesses in the bone structure of the body. It follows that a very large number of humans are likely to become incapable of physical activity taken for granted in present times
It is mentioned that ocean life has evolved to handle significantly higher CO2 levels, at least in the blood. Life vulnerable to ocean acidification would probably disagree.

426ppm isn't a "we're all going to die instantly" threshold, but an estimate for where human health begins to suffer. The only problems are that said suffering is going to continue unless you have access to lower levels of CO2, and also health will continue to deteriorate as we continue to emit CO2.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
So everyone will have to buy sodium bicarbonate tablets? I'm not even sure how fast that's eliminated from the body.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm very skeptical that he can infer the blood pH of past human populations from the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere. The human body is stuffed with proton pumps and, believe it or not, deals with surges in blood CO2 all the time. You don't keel over in acidosis on the treadmill, right? I think if we could go back in time to pre-industrial people and have a look at their blood I would expect they'd have the same blood pH.

It's true that excessive carbon dioxide can cause acidosis but that's typically patients in respiratory failure and the carbon dioxide is coming from the patient's tissues.

The partial pressure of CO2 in human blood is around 40 torr. The partial pressure of CO2 in the atmosphere is around 0.3 torr. So I have a very hard time believing this idea that we're going to get acidosis from a change in atmospheric CO2 from 0.3 to 0.4 torr.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If Thug Lessons' comment about submarine CO2 concentration is accurate, then do people returning from lengthy assignments on submarines suffer acidosis?

Edit: Quick Googling found two papers from 1971 looking at submarines with ~0.9% CO2 concentration; one found "no evidence of acidosis during the study and post recovery period" and the other found "evidence suggestive of an existing (??) acidosis". I'm not sure how convinced I am by two papers from the early 70s that appear to have been funded by the military, though.

TACD fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 4, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

TACD posted:

If Thug Lessons' comment about submarine CO2 concentration is accurate, then do people returning from lengthy assignments on submarines suffer acidosis?

Edit: Quick Googling found two papers from 1971 looking at submarines with ~0.9% CO2 concentration; one found "no evidence of acidosis during the study and post recovery period" and the other found "evidence suggestive of an existing (??) acidosis". I'm not sure how convinced I am by two papers from the early 70s that appear to have been funded by the military, though.

The difference there probably corresponds to the study period: the first study is 56 days long while the latter is just 7. It takes some time for the renal system to adjust and start filtering out the carbonic acid. Like Arglebargle says, our bodies have means of compensating for environmental toxins. It's possible carbon can put additional stress on body systems but it's not going to literally turn the air into poison.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

The rise in the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide and the effects on human health, circa 2001

This particular research goes into detail about what may really be safe for humans. I have as of yet been unable to find the referenced NASA research. I did find this on page 48 of Bioastronautics Data Book - NASA Technical Reports Server - Second Edition (NTRS):

This was a shorter time period, but it does agree with 5000ppm as a limit. Research for/on submariners was done ages ago Position Paper: The Toxic Effects of Chronic Exposures to Low Levels of Carbon Dioxide which mostly agrees with the NASA report, and finds changes at 0.3% but also not particularly reduced cognitive ability until after 0.5%; the maximum length of study appears to be 90 days and suggested 0.8% for 90 days as a limit, with a maximum of 4% for only a short exposure.

A bit further in the first paper:

Equation 5: HCO3– ⇔ OH– + CO2
This is how the author comes up with 426ppm being above the safe limit. Earlier in the paper, there is discussion of CO2 tolerance up to 5000ppm, but that's derived from calculations within water rather than blood.

Alas, the author thought we would have until at least 2050 to act, and probably not many people are really studying what could happen:

Effects with a CO2 level in excess of 600ppm by 2050 (per an IPCC projection), assuming growth in emissions over time:

It is mentioned that ocean life has evolved to handle significantly higher CO2 levels, at least in the blood. Life vulnerable to ocean acidification would probably disagree.

426ppm isn't a "we're all going to die instantly" threshold, but an estimate for where human health begins to suffer. The only problems are that said suffering is going to continue unless you have access to lower levels of CO2, and also health will continue to deteriorate as we continue to emit CO2.

Great article from Medical Hypotheses. Wonder what that journal is. Turns out it's "a forum for unconventional ideas without the traditional filter of scientific peer review", and "the only Elsevier journal that did not send submitted papers to other scientists for review." (wiki). Their editorial standards were so low that they ended up publishing AIDS denialism articles, and the ensuing controversy forced them to rescind this practice in 2010.

*toilet flushing noises*

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Thug Lessons posted:

Great article from Medical Hypotheses. Wonder what that journal is. Turns out it's "a forum for unconventional ideas without the traditional filter of scientific peer review", and "the only Elsevier journal that did not send submitted papers to other scientists for review." (wiki). Their editorial standards were so low that they ended up publishing AIDS denialism articles, and the ensuing controversy forced them to rescind this practice in 2010.

*toilet flushing noises*
I'm just following back from the initial article from Current Science; that Medical Hypothesis article is one of those references and is how the initial article comes up with 426ppm as being past a safe point:

quote:

4. Robertson, D. S., The rise in the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide and the effects on human health. Med. Hypotheses, 2001, 56, 513–518.

Perhaps the initial article is bunk, which would be good news for a change. It appears the author of the initial is the same author of the reference, and I assume the initial article passed review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

I'm just following back from the initial article from Current Science; that Medical Hypothesis article is one of those references and is how the initial article comes up with 426ppm as being past a safe point:

Perhaps the initial article is bunk, which would be good news for a change. It appears the author of the initial is the same author of the reference, and I assume the initial article passed review.

Current Science is a relatively obscure Indian journal. Shouldn't it raise some eyebrows that, when he's not avoiding peer review (the vast majority of his publications are in Medical Hypotheses), this guy has to go overseas to get his articles published?

Also, why am I not the least bit surprised that Googling the Current Science article leads directly to the Arctic Sea Ice forums?