Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Put another way, the "Less gubmint involvement" conservative types are really only saying "I want no accountability or oversight on anything I do" because surprise, as it keeps coming out, the american right-wing is packed to bursting with crooks and creeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea like you see it right now with Trump bragging about ~draining the swamp~ and slashing regulations and laws and all while also demanding every city mayor kiss at least one federal ICE thug on the lips per month or they're basically in the cartel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, it’s one of the oldest dogwhistles in the book. Ask ‘em what, exactly, they want the government to cut spending on first, and it all comes pouring out. You really just have to count the seconds until the first mention of ‘welfare queens’.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

In the interest of talking about something that isn't politics again, Lindsay had a guest on her monster boyfriends video, and he has his own monster boyfriends (and sometimes girlfriends) video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERrVNKEQJA8

Most of his stuff before that is shorter-form, but he seems entertaining and insightful enough that I gave him a follow.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, wasn't there a part of one of those books where the protagonist kicks a 6 year-old girl right in the teeth and it's treated as a good thing because she was presented as a plot obstacle?

she was a real brat

that was the justification

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

FoldableHuman posted:

I read the first five or six. Or, well, I own the first six, but I remember very little of the books past the second and reading plot summaries of five and six was pure "I have no memory of this place" so this is a combination of hazy memory being boosted by reading the summaries of others.

I'm sure I got tons of details wrong, I didn't bother to actually go get the books out of storage to fact check any of this, but it's Sword of Truth so really who cares.

The whole thing with the demon rape statue to get a Hot Wizard Sauce injection is 100% accurate, though. I even remember that the chapter is told from the PoV of a character spying on the ritual, who is discovered and ripped in half at the end of the chapter.

you got almost all of them right, richard's evil dad doesnt make him and kahlan bone, she accidentally uses her mind control powers on him but it doesnt work because her mind control powers make you love someone so much you'll do anything they say and richard already loves her that much

i too was once a teenager

also the demon wasnt a statue i dont think but an actual demon

the book calls attention to its rock-hard dick

Baller Ina fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 4, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This sounds like Ready Player One, where it's simply too obviously bad.

"It's so terrible. There's this incredibly stupid thing that happens in it. Then this other incredibly stupid thing. Did I tell you about this other incredibly stupid thing? Wait, there's another incredibly stupid thing."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
But enough about your posts.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Why does Anne McCaffrey solve every problem one page later?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

John Murdoch posted:

But enough about your posts.

:drat: :drat: :drat:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In that A Song of Ice and Fire review I wrote in TBB I noted that many of its flaws are tied into more subtler qualities in form and content. Like how the series portrays diversity of characters but there's no real diversity of human experience, despite the massive, cross-continental scope, or how the structure of the narrative is founded on constant shocks, surprises, and reverses of fortune to create a monotonous fantasy of powerlessness.

There's a set of parodies of Goodkind's works that as a whole tend to repeat the same jokes over and over - objectivism is dumb, evil chickens, jaws kicked in, etc. This happens with a work as obviously bad as Sword of Truth, or Ready Player One, or Twilight: the criticism turns into a repetition of the same facts. Did you know Edward is a stalker?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 4, 2018

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

In that A Song of Ice and Fire review I wrote in TBB I noted that many of its flaws are tied into more subtler qualities in form and content. Like how the series portrays diversity of characters but there's no real diversity of human experience, despite the massive, cross-continental scope, or how the structure of the narrative is founded on constant shocks, surprises, and reverses of fortune to create a monotonous fantasy of powerlessness.

There's a set of parodies of Goodkind's works that as a whole tend to repeat the same jokes over and over - objectivism is dumb, evil chickens, jaws kicked in, etc. This happens with a work as obviously bad as Sword of Truth, Ready Player One, and Twilight: the criticism turns into a repetition of the same facts. Did you know Edward is a stalker?

nobody cares

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

same

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

There's a set of parodies of Goodkind's works that as a whole tend to repeat the same jokes over and over - objectivism is dumb, evil chickens, jaws kicked in, etc. This happens with a work as obviously bad as Sword of Truth, or Ready Player One, or Twilight: the criticism turns into a repetition of the same facts. Did you know Edward is a stalker?

aren't you the OP to an entire thread talking about how Patrick Rothfuss' books are bad because you'd managed to hijack the previous thread with what was effectively a Let's Read to point out to everyone that the books are bad

like I'm don't disagree that Rothfuss' books suck rear end but lmao if you're the not the last person to start throwing stones about this

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

BOTL doesn't argue in good faith nor are they trying to convince anyone of a point. The shtick is literally just pure contrarianism. If you don't believe me just scroll through their posts, you'll see them do 180's just so the argument can keep burning.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

BOTL doesn't argue in good faith nor are they trying to convince anyone of a point. The shtick is literally just pure contrarianism. If you don't believe me just scroll through their posts, you'll see them do 180's just so the argument can keep burning.

I seem to recall I have a sparkly gif that explains SOP for dealing with BravestOfTheLamps, let me see if I can find it.

Hang on.

Nailed it.

Also stop replying to this hot take dumbfuck. God, you people are thick.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

:same:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I want to see an interview between GRRM and Žižek.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I want to see an interview between GRRM and Žižek.

I wonder which of the two is the bigger sex weirdo? :thunk:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

I wonder which of the two is the bigger sex weirdo? :thunk:

Hmm... paragraph comparing different cultures` toilets vs. paragraph detailing a character's diarrhea in ghastly detail... :shrug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

aren't you the OP to an entire thread talking about how Patrick Rothfuss' books are bad because you'd managed to hijack the previous thread with what was effectively a Let's Read to point out to everyone that the books are bad

like I'm don't disagree that Rothfuss' books suck rear end but lmao if you're the not the last person to start throwing stones about this

I did the whole Let's Read specifically to avoid that repetitive criticism I just described. I ended up showing people aspects of the book that they hadn't really noticed or considered before.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This sounds like Ready Player One, where it's simply too obviously bad.

"It's so terrible. There's this incredibly stupid thing that happens in it. Then this other incredibly stupid thing. Did I tell you about this other incredibly stupid thing? Wait, there's another incredibly stupid thing."

Still beating this drum, huh? Yes, we get it. Ready Player One is obviously bad in a way that even the layman can see but you’re above that. You’d rather point out the shortcomings of obvious targets like Harry Potter. You’re truly above the fray BotL.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

sponges posted:

Still beating this drum, huh? Yes, we get it. Ready Player One is obviously bad in a way that even the layman can see but you’re above that. You’d rather point out the shortcomings of obvious targets like Harry Potter. You’re truly above the fray BotL.

The preoccupation with "the worst books ever" is inherently a kind of dodge. It helps distract from how the regular genre fiction people like is bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The preoccupation with "the worst books ever" is inherently a kind of dodge. It helps distract from how the regular genre fiction people like is bad.

Goodkind's stuff isn't genre fiction though.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Once again you’re pointing out the painfully obvious.

The problem is you’re not intellectually equipped to offer the unwashed masses an alternative to the books you’re lazily critiquing.. We’ve all heard this poo poo about Harry Potter. And George Martin. Stephen King. Whatever. Blah blah blah. You’re attempting to paint yourself as this snide intellectual and it’s kinda embarrassing to watch.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

sponges posted:

The problem is you’re not intellectually equipped to offer the unwashed masses an alternative to the books you’re lazily critiquing.. We’ve all heard this poo poo about Harry Potter. And George Martin. Stephen King.

Hardly. People are strangely resistant to criticism of Harry Potter, for example, and there was some indignation over my implying that Michael Chrichton's prose is not good.

I generally strive to address and criticize things and topics that go unchallenged or are insufficiently explored. For example, one reason why the narrative of A Song of Ice and Fire is so weak is because it monotonously relies on unexpected reverses. Martin's gruesome twists are the most obvious example. This is reflects the fantasy of passivity and powerlessness that the series represents, and is something that existing criticism doesn't seem to explore enough. People are instead driven to attack Martin for being a sex weirdo.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 4, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

... insufficiently ... gruesome ... sex weirdo.

Because GRRM is a sex weirdo and it's funny to keep pointing that out. Anyway, what's your narratological take on the latest season of Mike & Molly?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

:negative:

come on guys, just this once could you not interact with BOTL?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Hardly. People are strangely resistant to criticism of Harry Potter, for example, and there was some indignation over my implying that Michael Chrichton's prose is not good.

I generally strive to address and criticize things and topics that go unchallenged or are insufficiently explored. For example, one reason why the narrative of A Song of Ice and Fire is so weak is because it monotonously relies on unexpected reverses. Martin's gruesome twists are the most obvious example. This is reflects the fantasy of passivity and powerlessness that the series represents, and is something that existing criticism doesn't seem to explore enough. People are instead driven to attack Martin for being a sex weirdo.

Again, the problem is you don’t offer an alternative. You’re quite obviously and desperately attempting to portray yourself as this smug intellectual but you’re not well read enough to offer an alternative to the literature you’re lazily critiquing. It’s all ‘popular poo poo sucks’ with you.

Little secret BotL: no one cares

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Testekill posted:

:negative:

come on guys, just this once could you not interact with BOTL?

They're only posting here again because they got laughed out of The Bad Thread by a chorus of far better shitposters.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

sponges posted:

Again, the problem is you don’t offer an alternative [...] you’re not well read enough to offer an alternative to the literature you’re lazily critiquing. It’s all ‘popular poo poo sucks’ with you.

On the contrary, in my ASOIAF review I discussed about half a dozen books as alternatives to the series.

sponges posted:

Little secret BotL: no one cares

This seems a bit contradictory.

e:

nine-gear crow posted:

They're only posting here again because they got laughed out of The Bad Thread by a chorus of far better shitposters.

This is an odd thing to fantasize.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 4, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

On the contrary, in my ASOIAF review I discussed about half a dozen books as alternatives to the series.

This seems a bit contradictory.

ASOIAF?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The best-selling fantasy saga, A Series of Incredibly Acrid Farts.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The best-selling fantasy saga, A Series of Incredibly Acrid Farts.

Your attempt at jokes is almost as bad as your literary critiques.

It’s Ok BotL. Comedy is tough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Song of Ice and Fire, often abbreviated as ASoIaF, the proper name of the still-incomplete series of novels by George RR Martin, often abrogated as GRRM, which the HBO series Game of Thrones was based upon. Though as of two years ago the novels’ cultural relevance reached its apex and has since sharply declined now that the infinitely more popular television series has advanced beyond them and is now actively spoiling the plots of the alleged final two books in the series which GRRM has yet to complete int he entire seven year and counting span of the television series, and will likely still not have completed by the time of its finale at some point in mid to late 2019.

Please consult the ASoIaF thread in The Book Barn for more information.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also, if you really have to read a genre fantasy about British wizards, just read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. It's at least readable fluff.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 4, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

A Song of Ice and Fire, often abbreviated as ASoIaF, the proper name of the still-incomplete series of novels by George RR Martin, often abrogated as GRRM, which the HBO series Game of Thrones was based upon. Though as of two years ago the novels’ cultural relevance reached its apex and has since sharply declined now that the infinitely more popular television has advanced beyond them and is now actively spoiling the plots of the alleged final two books in the series which GRRM has yet to complete int he entire seven year and counting span of the television series, and will likely still not have completed by the time of its finale at some point in mid to late 2019.

Please consult the ASoIaF thread in The Book Barn for more information.

I have never seen the TV show but I read the first book and thought it sucked so I gave up on the series

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sponges posted:

I have never seen the TV show but I read the first book and thought it sucked so I gave up on the series

Those of us still sticking around are simply waiting out the time until the Flying Dutchman finally pulls into port. From the decks, we salute you as we pass.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

sponges posted:

A wise choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ban BOTL first, due process second

• Locked thread