Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Learn to sleep again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

iospace posted:

I guess those ovens...

Were a sham :dadjoke:

Yyeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Been out of the industry for almost a month, still feels amazing

Had a meal at my old restaurant and they hosed my order up

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

iospace posted:

I guess those ovens...

Were a sham :dadjoke:

Though where I work went back to once a week truck deliveries after trying two a week.

Again.

I get 3 produce companies a day so I can keep my reps happy, and so they'll do last minute orders/delivery for me. Sysco 3x a week, GFS twice a week, and a dozen or so other specialty vendors that are once or twice a week.

Today's order was massive, just under 40k in food, took a good 4 hours to get everything fully stocked and put away properly.

Just to give you an idea of quantities, I got in 100lb of peeled garlic today, it might last the week. Par for pineapple is 30 cases, etc.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I get 3 produce companies a day so I can keep my reps happy, and so they'll do last minute orders/delivery for me. Sysco 3x a week, GFS twice a week, and a dozen or so other specialty vendors that are once or twice a week.

Today's order was massive, just under 40k in food, took a good 4 hours to get everything fully stocked and put away properly.

Just to give you an idea of quantities, I got in 100lb of peeled garlic today, it might last the week. Par for pineapple is 30 cases, etc.

Too lazy to peel your own garlic now?

For shame...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The only way to make peeling 100lbs of garlic a better option than buying it peeled is if you live in a country where slaves exist

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Had a meal at my old restaurant and they hosed my order up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pile of brown posted:

The only way to make peeling 100lbs of garlic a better option than buying it peeled is if you live in a country where slaves exist

Where does the peeled garlic come from?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Industrial food processing machinery in Gilroy, California.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pile of brown posted:

So slave labor?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Learned an hour into my shift today that whoops, closing cocktail called out sick so you get to close! Twelve hour shifts without warning are great you guys.

And I might have to do it again tomorrow!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

Where does the peeled garlic come from?

pile of brown posted:

If you're lucky. When I worked at the co-op deli, our peeled garlic was "product of China". Always amused me that I was slinging free range organic gluten free fair trade non-GMO [insert food buzzword] seitan wraps to hand-wringing yoga moms that was made with garlic of questionable provenance with a Godzilla-sized carbon footprint.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If you're lucky. When I worked at the co-op deli, our peeled garlic was "product of China". Always amused me that I was slinging free range organic gluten free fair trade non-GMO [insert food buzzword] seitan wraps to hand-wringing yoga moms that was made with garlic of questionable provenance with a Godzilla-sized carbon footprint.

Watch a show on netflix called rotten. There's an episode that goes into how China uses prisoner slave labor to peel the garlic, it's apparently huge.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Skwirl posted:

So slave labor?

Nah, the usa doesn't like to spend nearly that much on workforce. When the garlic shaker breaks you don't have to tie up the backhoe burying it in the back, y'know?

xsf421 posted:

Watch a show on netflix called rotten. There's an episode that goes into how China uses prisoner slave labor to peel the garlic, it's apparently huge.

i would rather be harvested for organs than be forced to peel garlic in a way other than crushing it with the flat of a knife

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Recoome posted:

Been out of the industry for almost a month, still feels amazing

Had a meal at my old restaurant and they hosed my order up

I still work at my place part time and they routinely gently caress my order up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What I'm understanding from the thread right now is that peeled garlic comes mostly from slave labor.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

What I'm understanding from the thread right now is that peeled garlic comes mostly from slave labor.

You are correct.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Naelyan posted:

You are correct.

Feel better about buying a garlic press now.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I was just posting over in "PYF things you just figured out", and the subject of the post reminded me of this bit of BOH humor. First place I worked when I moved to Roanoke, they had a picture of this fine actor on the door to the fridge:

it was the Christopher Walk-In :downsrim:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

xsf421 posted:

Was gonna post this.

There are also a couple of episodes that detail how Chinese exporters mask the origin of a lot of their goods to get around various bans. Garlic peeled by prisoners is illegal to export, but it most definitely makes its way to the US.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

this legit bothers me

normal people who don't own businesses or work in supply chain or aren't kitchen slaves or whatever just have no grasp at all on the value of time, what things actually cost, where things in our everyday world actually come from, blah blah blah

there should be a 'capitalism/globalization 101' video or something entitled 'why do you even care, when you in fact actually have no idea and probably don't care, and if you want to care, maybe you will know how to care more effectively after watching this video' that every highschool aged person should be required to watch

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

it was the Christopher Walk-In :downsrim:

I've worked at multiple places that have this and it's corny and I always vandalize the poo poo out of it until it gets taken down.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

mindphlux posted:

this legit bothers me

normal people who don't own businesses or work in supply chain or aren't kitchen slaves or whatever just have no grasp at all on the value of time, what things actually cost, where things in our everyday world actually come from, blah blah blah

there should be a 'capitalism/globalization 101' video or something entitled 'why do you even care, when you in fact actually have no idea and probably don't care, and if you want to care, maybe you will know how to care more effectively after watching this video' that every highschool aged person should be required to watch

this may not be what you're looking for but Das Kapital by Karl R. R. Marx

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

I've worked as the roundsman at my current job for 5 going on 6 months now and as of yesterday am being tapped as the new sous chef. The current sous left to be the cdc at a new restaurant and I have the most experience of the rest of the staff. However I just found out that the cdc and the kitchen manager like to get down and are totally slammin' ham outside of work.

I sat down with the 2 of them last night to get the deets and aside from the usual responsibilities spiel etc, was told I'll have to move from hourly to salary, but that the owner will have to send me a formal offer. I have not accepted the position yet, as I haven't received that offer. However with a mere 2 days notice they let me know I'd be running the kitchen on Wednesday so they could both take the day off to go to a sportsball event.

How hosed is that?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

mindphlux posted:

this legit bothers me

As an aquarium fish nerd (see my username), I'd love to know how many people know that the catfish being served or sold everywhere as panga/swai/basa is the same fish as the "iridescent shark" you can buy at PetCo, just allowed to grow to naturally and not stunted by being cramped in a 20 gallon tank.

I got no problem with it, the fried pangassius I'm selling is delicious as gently caress. Also I just read that you can fake the funk on making unagi with it. I love me some eels, but have reservations since they're going extinct :( I wouldn't sell it as unagi, but for home use I'm gonna try it out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

As an aquarium fish nerd (see my username), I'd love to know how many people know that the catfish being served or sold everywhere as panga/swai/basa is the same fish as the "iridescent shark" you can buy at PetCo, just allowed to grow to naturally and not stunted by being cramped in a 20 gallon tank.

I got no problem with it, the fried pangassius I'm selling is delicious as gently caress. Also I just read that you can fake the funk on making unagi with it. I love me some eels, but have reservations since they're going extinct :( I wouldn't sell it as unagi, but for home use I'm gonna try it out.

I basically don't eat sushi any more because so much of it is heavily overfished :( Love me some seafood but there are too many things out there (such as eel and tuna) where it's turned into "We have to stop eating this or our grandkids will only be able to read about them"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Any aquarium you go to probably has a little wallet card listing what fish you can purchase that's sustainably harvested.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

Any aquarium you go to probably has a little wallet card listing what fish you can purchase that's sustainably harvested.

There's an app for it, the problem is that it isn't good enough to just know the fish, it's important how and where it was caught and 99% of the time the restaurant won't know.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

double down and call it Shark Unagi

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Hell, just be open about it and call it a 'Responsible and sustainable unagi alternative'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

There's an app for it, the problem is that it isn't good enough to just know the fish, it's important how and where it was caught and 99% of the time the restaurant won't know.

also if they claim they do know, they're probably lying

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tunicate posted:

also if they claim they do know, they're probably lying

Eh, they could also have been lied to and are unwitting participants. The supply chain for foods, especially fish, is very convoluted. It's really easy for fish to be mislabeled somewhere along the line and the restaurant/retailer might have no idea. That, plus the fact that a lot of people (including chefs/cooks) don't know what a lot of fish look like can make it very challenging to be sure about provenance, especially if they're buying fish that have already been processed rather than whole fish.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
wrong thread

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 8, 2018

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I work at Fuzzy's Taco Shop now, and I like it. Good place to work even if the pay is poo poo, because of course it is. But we get 50% discount on the clock, 25% off the clock. So I go in with my wife to eat and order at the register and ask for my discount. The FOH manager comes over and painstakingly reviews the order to only put the 25% discount on my food, and not on my wife's. Didn't even discount our loving $2 chips and salsa, which we were both eating, obviously. I really don't understand why you'd go out of your way to be a dick to your employee over like $2 like that - it's my loving wife. I'm not bringing in a crowd of my homies to get a discount. I'm sitting there, in the restaurant, eating with my wife. Paid for with my money.

I've hardly interact with the FOH manager and it instantly made me dislike her and avoid her at all costs. It just seems so stupid and petty - I could have called the loving order in and gotten the whole thing 25% off but nah. That's how you cost yourself goodwill with your employees for no reason at all.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Or, the owner is particular about things like that and it’s not worth the stress for the FoH manager. It’s not like he or she is going around discounting everybody’s friend’s food and not yours. There are probably written policies regarding that particular thing. Employee discounts are tightly regulated where I work. Maybe instead of just writing that person off completely, ask about the policy?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Scheduled myself 80ish hours this week, and I'm hourly, lolololol. Glad chef was cool with me saying I'll work 7a til we're done 7 days a week, but man I really need some solid banquet cooks to apply. I think we're the highest paying hotel in Austin, with CdPs starting at 17.50/hr and skilled cooks starting at 14, still can't get a dozen good cooks, and I still need 5 CdPs.

Already had a few people quit, and it's been slow as gently caress, and they've all said they can't handle the stress/long days/standards. Which boggles my loving mind because I will drop whatever I'm doing to teach/help/explain/etc. and so will the rest of the leadership.

Like, what did they think was going to happen opening a 1k room luxury hotel attached to a convention center with banquet space for 10k+?

But real talk, I'd rather work 80hrs a week than lower our standards and just take warm bodies.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

But real talk, I'd rather work 80hrs a week

Make sure you sleep. And stay away from the tequila.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Scheduled myself 80ish hours this week, and I'm hourly, lolololol. Glad chef was cool with me saying I'll work 7a til we're done 7 days a week, but man I really need some solid banquet cooks to apply. I think we're the highest paying hotel in Austin, with CdPs starting at 17.50/hr and skilled cooks starting at 14, still can't get a dozen good cooks, and I still need 5 CdPs.
I'm glad you're getting paid, but I suddenly understand why cooks are so salty about tips, and so happy about taking overtime.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Already had a few people quit, and it's been slow as gently caress, and they've all said they can't handle the stress/long days/standards. Which boggles my loving mind because I will drop whatever I'm doing to teach/help/explain/etc. and so will the rest of the leadership.

Like, what did they think was going to happen opening a 1k room luxury hotel attached to a convention center with banquet space for 10k+?

But real talk, I'd rather work 80hrs a week than lower our standards and just take warm bodies.

I will move back to Texas and cook for you but you have to beat my current rate of 72 an hour.

Balls in your court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

What's the law on this in, uh, Texas or whatever? In NY it is straight up illegal to work a 7 day week, even as a salaried person, even as "The Chef", and having any sort of document indicating someone worked a 7 day week (we keep signed documents of managerial days on/off for legal purposes) is considered a liability.