Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, trying out Veteran for the first time, party leader tells me to gently caress off when I said we probably shouldn't go for two grimoires, then party wipes in the cellar where's there guaranteed heals. Good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah people get REALLY offended when you say you shouldn’t snag grims for some reason

If you haven’t already, do yourself a favor and rustle up a trinket with curse resistance. Even 10% will leave you with closer to half your health when both grims are picked up, and it only gets better from there. Very helpful.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How low is the cooldown on the Pyromancer's active, this person was using it every 5 seconds and I barely saw them using the staff =/

Sienna with only 52 ranged kills and 7 melee. Playing with an Elf who I'm pretty sure had infinite ammo outside of the Level 25 talent. 0 Melee kills there too.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Coolguye posted:

yeah people get REALLY offended when you say you shouldn’t snag grims for some reason

If you haven’t already, do yourself a favor and rustle up a trinket with curse resistance. Even 10% will leave you with closer to half your health when both grims are picked up, and it only gets better from there. Very helpful.

I got a trinket with 33% curse resist and that motherfucker is staying welded into that slot until the cows come home.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I hope a list of which items get which prefixes comes out soon; right now I'm just prioritizing damage stats and bonuses vs. Chaos, but I'd like to know which stats to prioritize as I advance through the game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

This was my most unique match ever on Festering Ground.

P1-P2bot went down so many times. I carried the whole round on my back, soloing the last ends and soloing a boss because everyone else died. Was getting so hard to play because I kept laughing my rear end off. Poor Griff actually made efforts to live but he died gloriously many times too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So, Commendation Chests: should I hang on to them or assume that any changes Fatshark does to how they work will be retroactive relative to when they drop?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

So, Commendation Chests: should I hang on to them or assume that any changes Fatshark does to how they work will be retroactive relative to when they drop?

It’s so easy to get chests in this one I feel there isn’t a need to horde chests really. Loot is much easier to get the stuff you want

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

toasterwarrior posted:

They give you low quality stuff but they always give you stuff, no matter the level.

I would either hold onto them to jumpstart other characters or just use them. At level 200 or so you don't need to putz around for whites and such.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

toasterwarrior posted:

Ah, trying out Veteran for the first time, party leader tells me to gently caress off when I said we probably shouldn't go for two grimoires, then party wipes in the cellar where's there guaranteed heals. Good poo poo.

i hate that one loving grimoire in empire in flames that's at the end of a jumping puzzle where you hop onto the side of a house and grab it off a ledge, because idiots will sit there and keep trying to get it for 5 minutes and the reward at the end is my goddamn health getting kneecapped

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I would never hold chests. Just why even bother. You can craft and upgrade what ever you want.

Went from 15 dwarf to 1 kruber, did one map, got to level 3, opened 1 chest and got power level 100 items. Kruber is now geared enough to start doing some veteran content but nope, not gonna do that until 7.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Lunethex posted:

How low is the cooldown on the Pyromancer's active, this person was using it every 5 seconds and I barely saw them using the staff =/

Sienna with only 52 ranged kills and 7 melee. Playing with an Elf who I'm pretty sure had infinite ammo outside of the Level 25 talent. 0 Melee kills there too.

Incredibly low, it's like twenty to thirty seconds. With some cooldown reduction you can really spam it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Yeah Huntsman is pretty baller. If it was nerfed it sure doesn't feel like it yet.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
I think I'm gonna get into this. Will i regret not grabbing the collectors edition now? Seems like its just skins and some kind of quest for more cosmetic items. I can't find much detailed info on it.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
goons, im gonna be the elf

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Oh that's what curse resistance is?! gently caress me

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lunethex posted:

Yeah Huntsman is pretty baller. If it was nerfed it sure doesn't feel like it yet.

Yup, still murders bosses. Almost feels like they wrote the patch notes and forgot to implement the actual nerf.

On another note. I hit level 25 on Sienna today and got the "Clear overheat when you use ability" trait. Combined with the staff that reduces cooldown by 5% every time you crit, you can just fire endlessly as long as you're hitting stuff. I don't even have much crit on my gear.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

It kind of sucks that even low tier curse resist is basically best in slot. I have a lot of items for that slot with decent properties, but the extra health just seems too clutch.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
What does curse resistance do exactly?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Reduces the health penalty from grims.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yep, Veteran's pretty much the Dunning-Kruger effect threshold, where you'll find players with an encyclopaediac knowledge of where the tomes and grimoires in Against the Grain are, and a 25% chance of knowing when and if it's actually worth getting them.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Playing on veteran to farm loot teaches some very bad habits. Almost every single Sienna/Kerillian on champion has been a friendly fire machine, often losing me more health to arrows/fireballs than i lose to rats.

Its also very hard to find champion games because the average syrupbrain cant mindlessly spam ranged attacks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Yep, Veteran's pretty much the Dunning-Kruger effect threshold, where you'll find players with an encyclopaediac knowledge of where the tomes and grimoires in Against the Grain are, and a 25% chance of knowing when and if it's actually worth getting them.

Which is a shame, because last beta I found everyone in veteran to be pretty competent and pleasant while Recruit was full of either mechanically new people or people who refuse to turn around while they bee-line from book to book screaming that everyone needs to keep up despite the horde a their heels.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
Just lol if you try and player Slayer before you hit level 20.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

BombiTheZombie posted:

Playing on veteran to farm loot teaches some very bad habits. Almost every single Sienna/Kerillian on champion has been a friendly fire machine, often losing me more health to arrows/fireballs than i lose to rats.

Its also very hard to find champion games because the average syrupbrain cant mindlessly spam ranged attacks.

I haven't dipped into veteran yet. Does Sienna's fireball do FF damage during its flight? It was a game changer for me when I realized that it did so I could funnel it through a line of rats in a chokepoint, but I'd hate to lose out on that because of friendly fire.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

I haven't dipped into veteran yet. Does Sienna's fireball do FF damage during its flight? It was a game changer for me when I realized that it did so I could funnel it through a line of rats in a chokepoint, but I'd hate to lose out on that because of friendly fire.

It will detonate if it hits a friendly target on the way, and also the splash will do damage and apply a small dot. You have to be really careful with ranged attacks on champion because a trueflight bolt will take 40% of your hp in an instant, and a blunderbuss shot will do around 65% of your health.

Unfortunately, friendly fire scares off most people so champion queues are hit and miss.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aw come on, do I really have to unequip jewelry on all my used characters before re-rolling poo poo on it?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BombiTheZombie posted:

did you mean champion?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

toasterwarrior posted:

Aw come on, do I really have to unequip jewelry on all my used characters before re-rolling poo poo on it?

Haha! Yes!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

does veteran not have friendly fire? i generally make a habit not to shoot at teammates anyways so i've never paid attention.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is anyone else having texture pop-in issues? Close-up enemies will show their low-Level of detail texture and then fade into their highres versions.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Agrajag posted:

did you mean champion?

I phrased it weirdly, i meant that playing on veteran teaches bad habits for champion difficulty and beyond.

Champion has friendly fire, and it can be brutal when it comes to skills such as the huntsman, trueflight and bounty hunter abilities. Veteran and below is dominated by ranged play because you can just blast away with little worry, but once friendly fire is a factor you need to make sure you don't accidentally murder your team. Sienna's unchained ability is notorious for wiping out 30% hp on friendlies around her so she has mostly been a liability in the games ive played.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Which is a shame, because last beta I found everyone in veteran to be pretty competent and pleasant while Recruit was full of either mechanically new people or people who refuse to turn around while they bee-line from book to book screaming that everyone needs to keep up despite the horde a their heels.

While a lot of those players got weeded out of VT1 over the course of the game, it could still get pretty bad with people pulling that sort of nonsense. Hell, even in cata games I would run into people that just wanted to rush while whining that no one was keeping up/good enough/etc... I imagine it'll play out the same way in 2, especially with an influx of new players. Generally, though, I found public games in Vermintide to be pretty solid overall and cleared every map on cata in public games on multiple occasions.

In my beta experience I've found teams to generally be a bit less proficient than in Vermintide 1, but most players seem to learn pretty quickly when to move and when to hold at the very least. I could see the FF and misfiring of abilities to be an issue though, especially on people just trying to rush things on higher difficulties.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Oh man taking a fresh level 1 Saltz into Veteran with ~130 power level gear reeeeaaallllly brings into focus how overall power level affects weapon handling. Even after just four levels the falchion stops getting hung up on individuals and at least sweeping through a handful in your face, maybe even briefly staggering the midsize enemies too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, I'm really trying to diversify my weapon selection for Kruber but the Halberd just clowns on everything except maybe the 2H Hammer. Like, maybe a Huntsman or Foot Knight Kruber would be more partial to other weapons "thematically", but the game's tough enough as it is.

Also the ranged classes having no distance damage dropoff turns their multi-shot weapons into absolute killers. There's the usual Huntsman Kruber + Blunderbuss = dead boss stuff, but having your shotgun blast kill poo poo a mile away and having twice the ammo makes it so much more palatable to use at all times. If the Huntsman's ammo-refund passive actually worked with the Blunderbuss, it'd even be more overpowered bullshit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I have 10% cooldown on my Pyromancer build and a knife with a trait that gives me back 5% of my ability charge on crits. That motherfucker is up 24/7.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, I'm really trying to diversify my weapon selection for Kruber but the Halberd just clowns on everything except maybe the 2H Hammer. Like, maybe a Huntsman or Foot Knight Kruber would be more partial to other weapons "thematically", but the game's tough enough as it is.

Also the ranged classes having no distance damage dropoff turns their multi-shot weapons into absolute killers. There's the usual Huntsman Kruber + Blunderbuss = dead boss stuff, but having your shotgun blast kill poo poo a mile away and having twice the ammo makes it so much more palatable to use at all times. If the Huntsman's ammo-refund passive actually worked with the Blunderbuss, it'd even be more overpowered bullshit.

I wish I could get a nice halberd or warhammer out of a veteran box so until then, all of my Kruber specs are rolling with this combo

I did also upgrade a ring and now drinking any potion gives me the effect of all potions but at 50% duration, which is probably gonna be fuckin amazing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I believe he means the zoom in at the start of a level to where the players start.

Thats just loading is it not.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats just loading is it not.

no. if you hit f2 twice you're entirely capable of moving and doing anything you want. everything is loaded, the pan and zoom is cinematic effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bright wizard started clicking once i unlocked the pyromancer spec, her starting passives and ability just seem like hot garbo

• Locked thread