Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
52/53 scrap metal sounds like a lot but I'm pretty sure swimming around the Aurora and cleaning it up will get you that much by itself, maybe cleaning up the Shallows as well.

Section Z posted:

The worst part of course, is seeing people respond to desires for basics like stacking inventory with "Ugh, but the game is TOO EASY! The Cyclops should need 200 titanium worth of ingots, and at LEAST three advanced wiring kits!"

Or the thing that actually happened, the introduction of crafting time when everything was previously 'it takes as long to make as the animation of it being made does.'

Think the current Titanium Ingot, only 3x as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I mean, the higher the temp the better. I have 4 on a foundation right next to some vents that consistently pull 58F+ temps and my power output is pretty consistently solid.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EponymousMrYar posted:

52/53 scrap metal sounds like a lot but I'm pretty sure swimming around the Aurora and cleaning it up will get you that much by itself, maybe cleaning up the Shallows as well.

Or the thing that actually happened, the introduction of crafting time when everything was previously 'it takes as long to make as the animation of it being made does.'

The "best" part was the fact it would erase your items if you tried to craft something else before manually clicking on the object you just crafted. Which was also praised as good realistic immersive gameplay.

And the usual "It's not X bad, it's only Y bad! Get it right!" Dev commentary about how things did no literally take a full minute to craft! Why, if you look at this chart you can clearly see it's 40 seconds tops!

Though I don't think we'll beat them jumping into the dozenth thread full of hundreds of complaints about bonesharks ramming the cyclops from miles around to cherry pick "SANDsharks don't attack the cyclops! Stop spreading misinformation!" to the one guy who wrote the wrong type of shark.

It's amazing the launch product ended up even in the state we got. Uphill battle to get even stuff like Crash fish one-shot killing the seamoth while driving it out in the open because they were multi stacking damage as an admitted bug.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 4, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EponymousMrYar posted:

This is a big gripe I have with a lot of crafting/survival games. There is nothing fun about waiting for a progress bar to fill up, what does crafting time add to anything? It is my one major problem with Empyrion.

I am very glad that Subnautica doesn't make you wait to craft things, the same as it doesn't make you dig a hole into the terrain for 5 min before you get some ores.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ugh, the "it's totally realistic that this fake technology would take 30 seconds to turn scrap metal into titanium" crowd was the absolute worst.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My 350m long vertical base joiner so that i could build solar panels to power my lost river preparation base took a lot of titanium. :colbert:

That i had to build 2 of them because a reaper decided to swim directly above my first one made it even more expensive.

I am half tempted to save my game , get the prawn suit and just see what i can do.

As for the octopus things. They are KOS, stasis rifle, thermal knife.

I need to get cured though. Warpers still scare the crap out me me :/

I havent logged back in since falling through the cyclops. I will a bit later and head down into the lost river. (You take the prawn rather than the seamoth right? which means i will have to either ferry my prawn from a land far away, or walk it across the ocean.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Ugh, the "it's totally realistic that this fake technology would take 30 seconds to turn scrap metal into titanium" crowd was the absolute worst.

the fact that I can build a giant submarine out of a few harvested parts is the justification I use when I console give myself a few things to fill out a crafting recipe.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a tiny bit over the survival aspect (I've definitely console'd in food/water when I got lost or stuck somewhere without), but the biomes and to a lesser extent story have got me hooked.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a tiny bit over the survival aspect (I've definitely console'd in food/water when I got lost or stuck somewhere without), but the biomes and to a lesser extent story have got me hooked.

Bad form! You are just robbing yourself of the best experiences that survival games have to offer: desperately trying to fix things when you gently caress up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
From a game design perspective, crafting time can be seen as a way to encourage the player to optimize their time. If something takes a long time to craft then you will look for something to do during this period of time. This could be working on other projects, or figuring out a way to optimize the crafting process. A lot of games with long crafting times include forms of automation to speed up the process and allow you to process multiple materials at once. It adds another dimension of progress to the game; you aren't just working towards building more stuff, but building more stuff in the most efficient manner possible.

I don't think this has a place in Subnautica though. Subnautica doesn't have enough materials and extensive crafting projects to make automation a reasonable design goal. Without automation, there is no way to improve crafting times, in which case they serve no purpose. They just annoy the player by wasting their time with very little or nothing they can do about it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rutibex posted:

This is a big gripe I have with a lot of crafting/survival games. There is nothing fun about waiting for a progress bar to fill up, what does crafting time add to anything? It is my one major problem with Empyrion.

I am very glad that Subnautica doesn't make you wait to craft things, the same as it doesn't make you dig a hole into the terrain for 5 min before you get some ores.
Yeah there's really only two good crafting times:

Short/nigh-instantaneous (or based on player input): the player is interacting with the game to make/convert stuff in it and the simpler the process the faster it should be (good crafting minigames fall under this.)

Long (batch jobs that once set up are automatically done): this is putting things on the back burner while the player goes and does something else. Give them a notification when it's done and overall don't make to big a deal of it.

Medium crafting times are bad because then you're falling into the problem of 'crafting components for every single freaking thing oh my god i have to do this EVERY TIME i want to make a thing gosh dang it' or 'alright, i set that on the back burner, time to go do something else for a bit, maybe do some exploring, organize my storage a bit, tend to my anima- DING. or my muffins could be done right now. great. time to queue something else up.'

haldolium posted:

Then at a point the game became a bit of a chore, building a base just at the brink of the abyss. The story was interesting and kept me going but was a bit contradicted at all time due to the chore crafting system which breaks the immersion all the time. But the atmosphere was outstanding, so I kept on going.

I strongly disagree with this statement about the crafting system being immersion breaking. There is only 1 sin that Subnautica's current crafting system commits: being unable to do batch processes. That's it.

Crafting from storage might be nice but it's hardly necessary in terms of immersion.

If the chore was going out and getting materials because you've run out then uh, yeah. That's a chore. It's supposed to be a chore to build your own house. That's a lot of material and a lot of man-hours that's getting condensed into an easy, bite size and hopefully pleasurable experience right there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah there's really only two good crafting times:

Short/nigh-instantaneous (or based on player input): the player is interacting with the game to make/convert stuff in it and the simpler the process the faster it should be (good crafting minigames fall under this.)

Long (batch jobs that once set up are automatically done): this is putting things on the back burner while the player goes and does something else. Give them a notification when it's done and overall don't make to big a deal of it.

Medium crafting times are bad because then you're falling into the problem of 'crafting components for every single freaking thing oh my god i have to do this EVERY TIME i want to make a thing gosh dang it' or 'alright, i set that on the back burner, time to go do something else for a bit, maybe do some exploring, organize my storage a bit, tend to my anima- DING. or my muffins could be done right now. great. time to queue something else up.'

"Crafting time" could add something to a survival experience if there is a waiting option. So that the actual experience of crafting is instant, it just advances the game clock X number of hours when you craft something. Then you are a bit hungrier and thirstier, and its closer to night time or whatever.

Just don't make me the player wait for things. My time is precious don't waste it!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rutibex posted:

"Crafting time" could add something to a survival experience if there is a waiting option. So that the actual experience of crafting is instant, it just advances the game clock X number of hours when you craft something. Then you are a bit hungrier and thirstier, and its closer to night time or whatever.

Just don't make me the player wait for things. My time is precious don't waste it!

Say hello to The Long Dark. It doesn't really add much aside from 'hey it's dark now, you can't craft when it's dark, get a light that will consume stuff or sleep until morning to continue' in addition to the food/water thing. Realistic and fitting with the games themes yeah. Annoying when you really want to get something done and have to wait to get it done.

Now a time-lapsed crafting animation that you the player watches when you make stuff? That'd be a potentially interesting take on crafting that I haven't seen implemented in a game yet.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Yeah, I never really felt like I had to go out and spend a ton of time gathering resources in this game. I didn't really build elaborate bases, though, so that might be part of it. By the time I was ready to make the rocket and leave the planet, all I had to do was scare up a little extra titanium and lead (and it turned out I had some lead that wasn't sorted properly anyways.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
In which the player unlocks infinite ion cubes!... 3 cubes at a time. Every three to four minutes. Gotta make even the convenience inconvenient, I guess.

Component times are also why I cringe every time somebody suggests "Why not make X use more advanced wiring kits?" because just one of those even ignoring the total item count is four separate cycles through the fabricator and it's nested UI.

It's faster to build a whole new wing of your base than it is to ensure you have all the individual parts to eventually end up with an advance wiring kit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It would certainly be nice if the fabricator could make items of advanced tiers in one go as long as you had all the components in your inventory.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Yeah but you find 3-4 scrap wreckage at every crash site you encounter. I am overflowing with Titanium, I have never felt like I needed to go out and get more. I just pick up every piece I come across when i'm out exploring.

Plop a scanner room with a range upgrade and the hud chip in the shallows and set it looking for scrap metal, and you'll realize just how plentiful titanium is in this game.

There was so much of it I just gave up on processing it and stored in lockers wholesale.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

From a game design perspective, crafting time can be seen as a way to encourage the player to optimize their time. If something takes a long time to craft then you will look for something to do during this period of time. This could be working on other projects, or figuring out a way to optimize the crafting process. A lot of games with long crafting times include forms of automation to speed up the process and allow you to process multiple materials at once. It adds another dimension of progress to the game; you aren't just working towards building more stuff, but building more stuff in the most efficient manner possible.

I don't think this has a place in Subnautica though. Subnautica doesn't have enough materials and extensive crafting projects to make automation a reasonable design goal. Without automation, there is no way to improve crafting times, in which case they serve no purpose. They just annoy the player by wasting their time with very little or nothing they can do about it.

Probably my favorite aspect of this is in Space Engineers, where manufacturing parts takes a long time but is very automated, this gives you incentive to, while the parts are being made, go find more resources instead. It works well I think.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok.

Moved my cyclops back abit as i kept falling out of it.
Then i fell out of it and landed on top of it, repeatedly, until i died.

It then spawned me directly underneath a reaper........................

wtf

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The way I see it it's

Gathering - how you collect resources
Logistics - how you transport these resources
Crafting - how you produce items

Terraria:
Gathering is the main gameplay as you mine and spelunk dangerous environments. You craft new equipment to improve how much and how fast you can mine.
Items stack and your inventory is large enough that it will rarely fill up (it's more about putting reasonable limits on what you carry than how much). There are several transport methods, you'll rarely have more than one main base, and return-to-base items are available from the early game.
There are several crafting stations, but all recipes are available from a common menu. The game will automatically select one and take the resources from nearby containers. Crafting is instant and you can hold down the button to craft large numbers at once.

Factorio:
The player has a limited mining speed. Past the first 15 minutes all gathering should be conducted by placed buildings.
The player has a limited inventory, but this is mainly for holding tools. Logistics should be automated by belt or rail.
Crafting is slow, but anything needed in bulk should be produced via automation (which is parallelizable). Player crafting is only for filling in gaps.

Subnautica falls into the standard survival trap of not going in either direction. Either it should be like Terraria and eliminate logistics/crafting bottlenecks to focus on exploration, or be like Factorio and make logistics/crafting bottlenecks into gameplay elements.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I loving hate ghost leviathans. Not because they are scary or kill me or my cyclops or whatever. But because, unlike every other thing in this game, interrupting a scan of one resets the scan back to zero. With anything else in this game, you can scan half of something, leave, go scan something else, then come back and resume the scan where you left off. I saw a ghost leviathan and thought "hell yeah, I need to scan that." So I swam out. There were 4 of them. I would start to scan one but then it swims off into the darkness and I lose that scan. I get one to 96% and then another leviathan swims in front of me which resets my scan. I went through 5-10 deaths before I finally got one to scan.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's a reason for that. There's only one place you can find 4 Ghost Sea Satan's in the same place and that's in the dead zone.

Those guys spawn/despawn specifically so they can kill you and get you back into the game world. You weren't scanning the same ones. Every time one swam off into the darkness? It despawned/respawned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Goddamn, was hanging around the mountain island coast and a Warper literally came up out of the water to warp at me!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you want to scan a leviathan just use the stasis rifle to hold it in place.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im pretty sure the more items you build, the less stable the game gets.

I removed most fo my 350m pole and replaced it with power transmitters and the cyclops seems to be ok now.

Also, the prawn is really good. 25% damage from a reaper with no mods and you can punch it in the face. With 1 arm for punching, how many passes would it take to kill a reaper?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'd be completely asinine in a game that encourages you to build for a large amount of structures to make it unstable.

....its probably correct though :bang:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://youtu.be/2UdtNgexcwI

I wish I could grow table coral. It's like the only thing my lost river base lacked.

Also it would be nice if you could make titanium ingots and convert them back into regular ore.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
There's lots of table coral there but it's green.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

This sounds like a question from one of those "serious answers to silly questions" books: would it be theoretically possible to have a planet where the atmospheric pressure was higher than the surface tension of a liquid or whatever, so if you removed the container around that liquid, it would hold its shape?

Way way late but I was thinking about this (in the shower, go figure) and realized - if you had an atmosphere with that much density/pressure, the water would be a bubble trying to get to the surface. Basically at that point whatever the atmosphere was made of would be like the brine from the Lost River, a denser-than-water liquid.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Beat the game last night. I have a few complaints (mid/end-game stuff feels rushed and artificially stretched out) but overall this is probably one of the best and most well-presented survival games out there.

My time capsule:

https://imgur.com/PGidZOa

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

edit - quote is not edit

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's a reason for that. There's only one place you can find 4 Ghost Sea Satan's in the same place and that's in the dead zone.

Those guys spawn/despawn specifically so they can kill you and get you back into the game world. You weren't scanning the same ones. Every time one swam off into the darkness? It despawned/respawned.

I would scan one, another one would get in front of me and reset my scan. Then I scan the original one again and it's back to zero. I figured they were just spawning in and out and I guess something about that makes it impossible to store scan progress on them in any way.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Internet Kraken posted:

It'd be completely asinine in a game that encourages you to build for a large amount of structures to make it unstable.

....its probably correct though :bang:

The larger any structure is, the more likely it is to bug out. This is how the game has always worked, because loading / unloading cells makes the existing bugs far worse.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I would scan one, another one would get in front of me and reset my scan. Then I scan the original one again and it's back to zero. I figured they were just spawning in and out and I guess something about that makes it impossible to store scan progress on them in any way.

If you want to get a scan there's an adult ghost leviathan on the map hanging out at the border between the northern blood kelp area and the floating islands. He might be the only one in the game?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Grapplejack posted:

If you want to get a scan there's an adult ghost leviathan on the map hanging out at the border between the northern blood kelp area and the floating islands. He might be the only one in the game?

Nah there's at least two that hang out in the grand reef

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Note that Ghost Dads are a separate scan from Ghost Junior, who hangs out in the lost caverns.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Im pretty sure the more items you build, the less stable the game gets.

I removed most fo my 350m pole and replaced it with power transmitters and the cyclops seems to be ok now.

Also, the prawn is really good. 25% damage from a reaper with no mods and you can punch it in the face. With 1 arm for punching, how many passes would it take to kill a reaper?

Even if the only thing you ever build is a tiny minimalist base in the safe shallows, you will still deal with wacky shenanigans.

I would be of no surprise building more things made it worse, but you're still likely to be impacted by game's buggy nature regardless unless you are simply lucky.

I expect Murphy sits up and takes notice if you're playing Hardcore mode :v: "No, no. I can't bug them to death yet. It won't be funny until they are at least 4 more hours in"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I beat the game and the only bug I ran into was a sea dragon leviathan clipping through some geometry to bite my poo poo. It wasn't a big deal, though. The Prawn can take a hit or two.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Meanwhile the number of bugs I'm running into is making it seriously hard to keep playing.

i love this game but it does not love me back.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I've been pretty blessed cause I haven't had any gamebreaking bugs. I think the worst is my cyclops kinda teleporting around my shallows base because its in a REALLY shallow part of the starting area.

Oh there was also that one time I decided to double grapple the cyclops and full-thrust the prawn into the docking port which I think caused my cyclops to do a flip but it was kinda hard to tell what was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just finished this last night. Fantastic game, vastly improved from the Early Access phase. It starts to drag a little bit towards the end, but there's enough fun set pieces to keep you going to the end. Bug wise the game still has a little ways to go, on multiple occasions I got ejected from the Cyclops while I was crafting in it, and I had a few times where some of the fauna swam into parts of the game they weren't supposed to be in: the insides of alien phase gate installations, which have air, not water

I really wish games like this would take a page from the Minecraft modding community or Factorio and have one of the end game technologies be a searchable storage and crafting interface that allows you to not have to have 40 labeled lockers that you have to spend time sorting through every time you want to make something or come back from a run. Once you have a lot of crafting with various materials to do in the end game, things get a little tedious.

Hopefully Unknown Worlds takes what they learned from this game and makes an even better survival game for their next entry. This is a very impressive first original game. I'm super excited to see what they do next.

Regarding the end of the game Am I the only one who loaded up the rocket with as many diamonds, ion cubes, and other valuables as I could on the way out? I figured if Alterra was going to charge me for all the crafting materials I used I might as well have enough booty in the rocket to have gently caress you money once I got back.