Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
but have you considered how much better an explicitly judeo-christian origin where half the major figures are still running around is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Xiahou Dun posted:

Uhhhhhhh.

I never really got into Vampire but brb gonna go kidnap people to play VtR. gently caress that sounds dope.

The average behavior of your vampire in Requiem notwithstanding, stuff like that heavily indicates that basically the Invictus, Lancea et Sanctum, and the Ventrue especially are almost single handedly responsible for why their society is such a dysfunctional nightmare in the modern time period. More to the point, that last segment I posted goes on to be about how they're killing anyone that figures out the big secret of why things are so hosed up too.

There's a lot more stuff people pieced together too. Though i'll let someone else get into that, outside of mentioning the blood magic thing. While all the stuff I posted about was going on it's heavily implied/at one point outright stated in another book that the Lancae et Sanctum offed another vampiric nation during a period of weakness so they could steal their form of magic and use it as proof that they had been given gifts by/chosen by God to be divine predator's. Prior to that point they had no real proof outside of playing on people's guilt over being vampires and assassinating the poo poo out of anyone that dared to speak out against them.

Said magic may or may not also have come from some major power in the Underworld given that nation's culture and how the Lancea et Sanctum papered over explaining how they stole it "had it passed down to them from an angel" (Whose name is actually a tongue in cheek derivative of an Egyptian sun/solar deity of the region at the time. Said magic encourages bolstering one's humanity too, interestingly enough.). And if there's a link between the origin of that magic and the Julii then whatever gave it to them is likely to be pissed.

It's entirely possible to play it as a game that's one part conspiracy thriller and one part Indiana Jones-esque archaeological dig. And it is awesome.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 4, 2018

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

STOP MAKING ME WANT MORE BOOKS I LIVE IN A STUDIO AND MY GIRLFRIEND WILL KILL ME UGGGHHHH

(Thank you!)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The entire Requiem line is pretty much great, with maybe a few exceptions I can't think of right now. Coteries and Nomad?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Xiahou Dun posted:

STOP MAKING ME WANT MORE BOOKS I LIVE IN A STUDIO AND MY GIRLFRIEND WILL KILL ME UGGGHHHH

(Thank you!)

Luckily they have a full line of PDFs available for your convenience!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MonsieurChoc posted:

The entire Requiem line is pretty much great, with maybe a few exceptions I can't think of right now. Coteries and Nomad?

The bloodline books are kind of eh most of the time, and most of the early books have a mix of interesting bits and bits you want to just not think about. Still, they're not books I regret looking at. (Nomads has some random NPCs that can be tied into lines that came out significantly later iirc and is otherwise a book about vampire road trips that is nowhere as interesting as that sounds, Damnation City is a great guide to making cities for WoD games but also has BvD as one of it's fiction segments, etc)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The bloodline books are kind of eh most of the time, and most of the early books have a mix of interesting bits and bits you want to just not think about. Still, they're not books I regret looking at. (Nomads has some random NPCs that can be tied into lines that came out significantly later iirc and is otherwise a book about vampire road trips that is nowhere as interesting as that sounds, Damnation City is a great guide to making cities for WoD games but also has BvD as one of it's fiction segments, etc)

The BvD fiction piece in Damnation City is at least helped by the fact that it caps off with a huge segment that basically says "All these people you've read about so far are knowingly and willfully acting like monsters and probably deserve to die for the atrocities they've perpetuated on the world. Also, let me introduce you to the only remotely responsible prince of a city in the entire setting basically going all karmic Jack Bauer on the assholes originally responsible for this hosed up poo poo while he explains in disgust why they're so messed up and need to be subtracted from the equation of existence.".

Otherwise Damnation City is pretty much a must if you're wanting to make detailed cities and characters. It even explains the vice and virtue system in far more detail so that you can factor it into your games from a role playing standpoint beyond mechanical stuff like clan weaknesses.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 4, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So does the Ordo Dracul just think all this ancient conspiracy stuff is for losers while they gently caress around with vampiric transhumanism or is there more to them than meets the eye?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Luckily they have a full line of PDFs available for your convenience!

YOU'RE NOT HELPING

(You are 100% helping and I thank you but I'm trying to go with the joke.)

My current group doesn't even like horror. I'm gonna have to branch out.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

So does the Ordo Dracul just think all this ancient conspiracy stuff is for losers while they gently caress around with vampiric transhumanism or is there more to them than meets the eye?

Gonna be lots of :words: since I can't link to an old thread for this stuff. Fair warning:

In Secrets of the Covenant's it's revealed that the Brides of Dracula may have simultaneously embraced Dracula and played off his beliefs that he was cursed by god to create the covenant. The segment in question even has them contemptuously mocking him for believing he was so important. Which is probably why the one book he shows up in reveals that he's not only alone but also reveals that he can't create children without them devolving into draugr. He basically got a triple dose of vampirism and they used his quest to get free of as much of it as possible to create the founding ideas and power base of the covenant. Some of Count loving Dracula's (That's a different Dracula from Tepes, mind. He was embraced by one of his brides, who would later go on to be the Unholy. More on that in a few.) comments when he shows up in the clan books heavily implies that this is canon too. Though you'd be hard pressed to discover the real meaning of those comments without having read at least Secrets of the Covenants and/or several other books first.

It also neatly explains why the Ordo Dracul is so contemptuous of humanity and want to become a bigger and better monster. That is, despite the fact that in 1e one of the supposedly more human Bride's used the covenant to develop a coil that can almost completely nullify the downsides of being a vampire or outright turn you back into a human. Despite accomplishing much of what the covenant claims to want to do said coil and it's adherents are considered so heretical to the covenant that they're usually killed on sight. Also, one of the other brides supposedly created a coil so utterly monstrous that even most of the Ordo Dracul wants nothing to do with it. From what I recall it starts with finding a way to eat souls at low/no cost and gets worse. So that should tell you where the founding ideals of the covenant really are based at.

Also, it's never been confirmed just what did it, but the brides of Dracula may also be why the Unholy is such a monstrous wreck of a human being. It's never stated what pushed her over the edge into becoming such a nightmare to almost everyone she encounters but the last chronological mention of her being remotely sane, humane, and generally seeking human contact mentions that she was the secret fourth bride of Dracula (and was probably betrayed or otherwise screwed over in what was a long, long, long list of things going horribly wrong for her) that probably came along after the rest of them had insulated Tepes from the truth of how he came to be. And if you run with the Brides origin story it's not hard to imagine that they loving hated her for unwittingly mucking into their weird little conspiracy.

Count loving Dracula's story of how he got turned into a vampire certainly adds some interesting lore to that particular part of the Ordo Dracul's history too. He mentions that she embraced him to see if she could break him in the way that Dracula supposedly broke after lifetimes of hurt and betrayal. Though that's getting into an entirely different set of posts that don't have much to do with the Ordo Dracul. TL;DR for the relevant bits though: He didn't break after having a lifetime of lore and the memories of Drac forced into his mind. The realization of that apparently confused her so much that she just walked off instead of murdering or eating him like she does to most vampires.

So...Uh, yeah. They're probably responsible for a fair bit of hosed up stuff if you want to go with that origin story. And their trans-humanist goals are a bit skewed to where the covenant will toss out working examples if they aren't sufficiently monstrous enough. So there's definitely some shadier stuff going on there beyond their stated mission. Though there's not been as much revealed about it as the Invictus, Lance, and to a certain extent the Circle's history have had.

On top of all of that, I can't find the thread but from what I recall reading it was an explanation where the guy put some pieces of various tidbits of lore together to show how the god machine may have set up Vlad Tepes to get vamped. Dude basically bungled into a cold war between the god machine and...something, I forget what. The result was the god machine orchestrating the complete ruination of his life out of what appears to be nothing but mean spirited spite for daring to get in it's way for even the smallest of moments. So even if the above is true then it could also turn out that the Brides aren't as responsible for the covenant as they think they are.

Hell, vampires not acting according to the vampiric standard is arguably beneficial to the God Machine. Since it ostensibly benefits off of weird occult things happening for the sake of weirder occult things that the god-machine wants to happen. And when you get past their trans-humanist propaganda it becomes apparent that the Ordo Dracul is all about breaking those standards and expectations. Which puts a pretty darkly ironic streak on the entire covenant. By hoarding their secrets (and even pursuing them in the first place) they're helping the same thing they claim to be fighting/wanting to defy without even realizing it. Which is a neat alternate origin theory all by itself.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 4, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Now i just need to ask about the carthians and circle to complete the story

Archonex
May 2, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Now i just need to ask about the carthians and circle to complete the story

The Carthians are about on point. Hell, their whole progressive "We need to move things along and adapt to changing times and governing policies." take on the Requiem is arguably the right view to take. Especially since the two "traditionalist" covenants that tend to run things are both kind of responsible for and directly profiting from how hosed things are while having no incentive to change things up for the better. Or even minimize the amount of collateral damage they do.

Unfortunately their execution of their ideals can be a bit...lacking. And hypocritical. Mostly because they tend to have no intellectual rigor behind it beyond philosophizing about how to go about fixing their hosed up mess of a society. Though there are plenty of other issues besides how they go about trying to push things forwards. The Ordo Dracul even notes that their experiments (And the Carthians do call them experiments. Not something more...Y'know, encouraging, that doesn't suggest that they're just randomly dicking about and hoping for the best.) might even work more often if they adopted controls and actually took the time to analyze what it was they were doing in the bigger view of things.

They do have some skeletons though. I'll post about them once I get some sleep. Unfortunately, it's 2AM here. Some of their more interesting skeletons are way more subtle than the other covenants. If the thread gets active while i'm asleep or at work someone will probably post about the "failed experiments" section from their covenant book again. It's shown up in this thread several times already.

As for the Circle, the Circle of the Crone isn't even that new. They've gotten a few rewrites, but by all accounts they're basically just trying to slap what little is left of a bunch of random ancient types of blood magic together that they scavenged from various cultures and ruins. All while praying that adding in a dash of neo-paganism works enough to get results. Add in a dash of enlightening masochistic ordeals for those members of the group that have nothing better to do with their time and you have their default mode of operation. They basically have no clue what they're doing, to the point that there's multiple segments and sidebars in their own covenant book that try to expound on or settle out the issue of just what the consequences (And the possible consequences are pretty big/hilariously bad.) of what they're doing could end up being.

Notably, i'm going to have to duck into Danse Macabre (A 1e book.) to get really into both covenants bad sides. Both of their takes on what happens when they end up dominant powers among vampires on a global level have the potential to go stunningly, amazingly, hilariously, apocalyptically wrong. To go into it without actually having to go into the actual details: The Carthians basically want the early seasons of True Blood to be canon and the Circle are basically playing with fire on the level of OWoD's Gehenna event or a Lovecraftian horror story.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 4, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean even after all that...

...Yes, Ordo Dracul largely thinks all this conspiracy poo poo is for losers and focuses on their transvampirism. I mean, sure, there's probably LOADS of hosed up stories and the like, but when you get down to it, Ordo Dracul is a vampire wearing sunglasses and grinning at the sun while flipping it off (while ignoring the like thirty tubes going into his body from a machine just outside the field of view constantly pumping Hyper Blood, a new type of blood they just invented, but it's only made out of like, Infant Souls, or something like that). Also their body is literally smoking because this is still just proof of concept and it doesn't quite work 100%, so they're a LITTLE on fire, but like hell that stops them from personally telling the sun to go gently caress itself.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean even after all that...

...Yes, Ordo Dracul largely thinks all this conspiracy poo poo is for losers and focuses on their transvampirism. I mean, sure, there's probably LOADS of hosed up stories and the like, but when you get down to it, Ordo Dracul is a vampire wearing sunglasses and grinning at the sun while flipping it off (while ignoring the like thirty tubes going into his body from a machine just outside the field of view constantly pumping Hyper Blood, a new type of blood they just invented, but it's only made out of like, Infant Souls, or something like that). Also their body is literally smoking because this is still just proof of concept and it doesn't quite work 100%, so they're a LITTLE on fire, but like hell that stops them from personally telling the sun to go gently caress itself.

Which is to say that the Ordo Dracul are, canonically, the best.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Poltergrift posted:

Which is to say that the Ordo Dracul are, canonically, the best.

Considering every single vampire is a pathetic joke that would kill itself if it was smart enough to know how hosed it is, that isn't saying much.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what does the extreme deep end of the weirdness/power scale look like for vampires, known or theoretical

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tollymain posted:

what does the extreme deep end of the weirdness/power scale look like for vampires, known or theoretical

That Silent Knife book takes a sharp veer into unexpected territory in it's latter half when it becomes increasingly apparent to Mage readers that a vampire has managed to somehow tap into the Abyss and use it as a power source to fuel the increasingly weird going on's in the city. As in, the Supernal Abyss. IE: The thing that mages use to gently caress the world up even worse than it already is.

She was pretty weird by the end. Think, living non-euclideanly inside a giant idol resting in the middle of an invisible lake of blood underneath her house, being able to summon up golems made out of urban debris that curb stomped most of the main cast, being able to take that golem down in single combat after it was turned on her by a nearby sorta-mage, and at the very end it was all but said that she was capable of eating entire cities OWoD Gehenna style before spitting her victims back out as nightmarish zombies. The entire human and supernatural population of Boston comes like maybe ten minutes or so away from getting diablerized by an insane Nosferatu before the main character figures out how hosed up all her elders are and starts pitting them against each other while generally mowing through anyone and anything (up to and including a major abyssal entity) that gets in her way.

Though the big twist to how she accomplished that was she was a hairs breadth away from becoming a mage herself before getting embraced and so was able to banish the thing at the last second using the same powers that had pretty much ruined her life. It actually was the reason Why her sire picked her, since the bloodline he's a part of can actually sort of use supernal magic if they eat a soul and embrace people on the cusp of awakening. Which is obviously really hard to do. Never mind incredibly rare. All of which turned out to be a huge spoiler, given that no one knew that you could multi-class supernatural species up until that book and a recent post on the OPP forums confirmed it's theoretically possible but would be insanely rare to the point of being an extremely one off major NPC only.

Meanwhile the mages are largely depicted as feckless idiots/bastards obsessed with power and solving mysteries. And later being deadset on literally annihilating each other when they figure out that the vampire in question has an abyssal artifact that lets her channel the magic out through the city. It's not even really known if they gave a drat about the city outside of the one mage that had her head on straight enough to realize that letting the item in question keep existing was a really bad idea. Nor if her claim that they had previously teamed up to take out the Scelesti that brought it in was genuine.

All that gets confirmed (since this entire apocalyptic scenario is told from the perspective of only two vampires) is that the mage community at large saw a potential opportunity to get away with the horrifying city destroying artifact without having any witnesses around and basically had a mage war in the background in an effort to steal it and use it for themselves. Which took themselves out of the fight to stop it from being used.

"Kill magey" might as well be the "kill whitey" of the NWoD/CoD setting at that point.

Edit: Also here's a funny addendum to all that. The situation ends up so utterly dire that all the local Invictus officials poo poo their undead pants and panic when they finally understand just what the abyssal vampire is about to do. Their freak out is so great that they decide to turn over a leaf and try a bout of heroism for once. Which includes bringing drat near every vampiric soldier in the covenant they can get their hands on, armed and armored to the teeth in their best SWAT unit impression to storm the vampire's haven before she can wipe an entire city off the map. It doesn't work. They get eaten alive. Literally. Hence the nigh omnipotent vampire thing. Points for effort, though!

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 4, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Using Tsukihime as a source of inspiration, you could have a Vampire Forest.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats seems more like mage weirdness dipping into vampire affairs though

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Huh. Requiem's got more to it than I thought.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I have some vague memories from a previous discussion about this idea of an underwater vampire "civilization". Don't need to breathe and are barely affected by pressure and all that, plus some implication that there's something in the abyss calling to them. It may have been an oWoD thing or something that didn't make it into the nWoD book it was conceived for, but my memory is real hazy. All I remember is that it came up in regards to a possible Dark Eras vampirate writeup and that it sounded dope, so if anyone has the faintest clue what I'm rambling about feel free to explain what that was all about.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Terrorforge posted:

I have some vague memories from a previous discussion about this idea of an underwater vampire "civilization". Don't need to breathe and are barely affected by pressure and all that, plus some implication that there's something in the abyss calling to them. It may have been an oWoD thing or something that didn't make it into the nWoD book it was conceived for, but my memory is real hazy. All I remember is that it came up in regards to a possible Dark Eras vampirate writeup and that it sounded dope, so if anyone has the faintest clue what I'm rambling about feel free to explain what that was all about.

If it's what I think it is, we made that up in the thread a few months back as a joke after someone was talking about pirate vampires and that scene from PotC where they walked on the bottom of the sea with a canoe over their heads.

I don't recall that actually being from a book or anything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Terrorforge posted:

Do you recall if had something to do with that 'Mariner' Gangrel bloodline that all express aquatic animal traits?

Edit: Oh, well. Sounded neat anyway.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Honestly, it's still a fun idea. The only issue is the lack of fresh blood sources at the bottom of the ocean. Other than that, I can see vampires being real happy deep enough down that the sun can't reach them.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Terrorforge posted:

The VtM clanbooks give the Lasombra a kind of compulsion towards the sea that's thought to originate with the clan founder, but the only underwater vampires that I recall in oWoD are the goofy-rear end Mariner Gangrel.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is the first instance that I recall of an community of vampires who'd adapted to an underwater existence, though that's not WoD.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Well maybe you could spin it like that's the lovely part of living in the deeps, you get adapted to a slower pace of existence where you are drat near guaranteed to not run into anything that's either capable or wants to end you and all you have to do is make sure you time your emergence right. Maybe even say that in the deeps, you don't need to spend blood to live, you just kind of coast along existing until you want to do something at which point you have to risk the possibility of the sun and surface to get some blood.

So basically torpor in the deeps, only you're semi-conscious, and for loser vampires who'd rather take themselves out of the game and the world.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Yeah, that's a pretty interesting way of looking at it. I'm absolutely going to hint at the existence of ocean-floor-dwelling vampires if I ever get the chance to. But I don't see much chance for it to really come up in a game beyond hints.

Unless a player gets really curious and walks across the ocean floor to investigate in person. In which case, oh boy. That'd be a fun game.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Thinking back on it, one of the things that struck me is that there's not really an upper limit to how long a vampire can spend in torpor. So maybe the bulk of the "community" consists of torpid or semi-torpid vampires just floating about until there's like whalefall or one of a handful of active "hunters" brings back a raftfull of shipwrecked sailors and a feeding Frenzy ensues.

Xinder posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty interesting way of looking at it. I'm absolutely going to hint at the existence of ocean-floor-dwelling vampires if I ever get the chance to. But I don't see much chance for it to really come up in a game beyond hints.

Unless a player gets really curious and walks across the ocean floor to investigate in person. In which case, oh boy. That'd be a fun game.

There's a note i remember from the 1e version of Requiem where they're discussing vampire physiology and the text basically goes "They don't need to breathe, and as such can't drown or otherwise suffocate. Could they weather the crushing depths of the deep sea or the unending vacuum of space? Uh, yeah, we guess, but what the hell kind of campaign are you running here?"

Honestly a story taking place on an undersea base with barely sentient aquatic vampires as the monsters sounds like an incredible place to go with a vampire or hunter chronicle geared towards high-concept weirdness.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Terrorforge posted:

There's a note i remember from the 1e version of Requiem where they're discussing vampire physiology and the text basically goes "They don't need to breathe, and as such can't drown or otherwise suffocate. Could they weather the crushing depths of the deep sea or the unending vacuum of space? Uh, yeah, we guess, but what the hell kind of campaign are you running here?"

Honestly a story taking place on an undersea base with barely sentient aquatic vampires as the monsters sounds like an incredible place to go with a vampire or hunter chronicle geared towards high-concept weirdness.
Vampires on the dark side of the moon sounds similarly :krad: especially if you use some of the weirder poo poo like being able to feed on spirits/ghosts. Go all Deep Umbra with the space Shadow.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
If you use moon vampires, you gotta use Holy Engineers in the same game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tollymain posted:

thats seems more like mage weirdness dipping into vampire affairs though

Any sufficiently advanced splat line is indistinguishable from Mage. :v:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Any sufficiently advanced splat line is indistinguishable from Mage. :v:

I know you're joking but Demon manages to play around in a similar power level while remaining distinct

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Yawgmoth posted:

Vampires on the dark side of the moon sounds similarly :krad: especially if you use some of the weirder poo poo like being able to feed on spirits/ghosts. Go all Deep Umbra with the space Shadow.

Xinder posted:

If you use moon vampires, you gotta use Holy Engineers in the same game.

The Holy Engineers are the best non-standard covenant.

As for all of Archonex's loreposting, it's extremely interesting poo poo, but I'd like to know sources for some of the information that I wasn't fully familiar with, like the insinuations about the God-Machine. The idea of it acting spitefully against Vlad goes against pretty much everything Demon has ever written about the God-Machine, in that it has no concept of a grudge, or even any sort of emotional reaction something at the human scale can be aware of. It just sorta, does things.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Daeren posted:

The Holy Engineers are the best non-standard covenant.

As for all of Archonex's loreposting, it's extremely interesting poo poo, but I'd like to know sources for some of the information that I wasn't fully familiar with, like the insinuations about the God-Machine. The idea of it acting spitefully against Vlad goes against pretty much everything Demon has ever written about the God-Machine, in that it has no concept of a grudge, or even any sort of emotional reaction something at the human scale can be aware of. It just sorta, does things.

But of course it's also vast and unknowable, and therefore unpredictable. It's certainly possible for it to engage in what to human eyes looks like a spiteful campaign of petty revenge because some arcane computation determined that was the most effective way to remove a troublesome variable from the equation.

It's also a decidedly imperfect machine, and even though the entity as a whole acts on flawless, unfeeling logic, its various flunkies and component parts break down, go rogue or otherwise disappear up their own asses all the time. I would absolutely buy that some Psychopomp booted up the "poo poo on Dracula" subroutine 500 years ago and then promptly got ganked by a cryptid moose in the transylvanian forest and now they couldn't turn it off if they wanted to.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Yawgmoth posted:

Wouldn't work, the Moon rotates, but we just never get to see it because we do too. Still sounds awesome.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Terrorforge posted:

Well, there's this interview with Sean Jaffe about Blood-Dimmed Tides where IIRC he talks about how in the original pitch for the vampire section, "retreat beneath the waves to live out an eternity in ultra darkness" was supposed to be a potential end state for advance vampires, but was nudged out of being the canonical explanation for where elders go during the development process. And is also a pro listen in general for talking about the genesis of one of the most oWoD oWoD books.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Well, there's this interview with Sean Jaffe about Blood-Dimmed Tides where IIRC he talks about how in the original pitch for the vampire section, "retreat beneath the waves to live out an eternity in ultra darkness" was supposed to be a potential end state for advance vampires, but was nudged out of being the canonical explanation for where elders go during the development process. And is also a pro listen in general for talking about the genesis of one of the most oWoD oWoD books.

Yes, that's it! That's why I was thinking it was something that didn't make it into some book or another.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

gtrmp posted:

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is the first instance that I recall of an community of vampires who'd adapted to an underwater existence, though that's not WoD.

I mean, you say that it's not WoD, but Swamp Thing is such a great inspiration for mood and weirdness for any WoD game, no matter the splat.

Edit: Also, Max Gladstone's 'The Craft Sequence' series of novels touches on underwater vampires, but to say more would spoil some cool poo poo.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 4, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
You know why there's so many crashes and disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle? Vampires.

Safely resting in torpor somewhere at the bottom, they emerge every once in a while to down a ship or plane and feast on the humans aboard it. As for why they wake up when they do, how they down the aircraft, and why there were no incidents for periods of decades, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Xinder posted:

No need for that. There's at least one canonical line. The Mara are the first one, which are basically ocean dwelling pagan vampires that are incredibly alien compared to most kindred due to their bloodline traits (They can only feed if they're submerged in water.) meaning that they basically never come onto land except to hunt. They've created their own means of communication that works underwater and even their own little religious society in a few cities in the past. Outside of the Circle even other Kindred are freaked out by them as a result of all of that and a few other things. You can find them in the Circle of the Crone book.

There may be another one too. They're basically vampire vikings and raid towns by sea. Though I may be misrecalling them for a group in an OWoD book. Not even sure where to start looking to see if they're a NWoD thing too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 4, 2018