Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Holy poo poo how has NO ONE mentioned this? :mad:

Oh nice. Now they'll only call me by my commander name :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Holy poo poo how has NO ONE mentioned this? :mad:

I misread this for a moment and I thought you could change your ship name. Now I'm disappointed. :(

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Libluini posted:

I misread this for a moment and I thought you could change your ship name. Now I'm disappointed. :(

You can totally change your ship name, it's in livery. You have to pay actual money to print it on the side though.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

wait, so I now I can opt to hear the traffic controller say "DFS Autism Chariot, you are clear to dock at pad 02"? :allears:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
They'll just say "delta foxtrot sierra".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I seems, from an in universe perspective, they treat it more like how ATC handles EAA than a traditional airport.

Which is funny.

To explain, EAA is "White Cessna, rock your wings. -wings rock- You are clear to land on <runway> at the <color> dot" more or less. It's rapid fire ATC.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

You can totally change your ship name, it's in livery. You have to pay actual money to print it on the side though.

I know this, I was talking about the option menu in the picture

Also I can't access livery with my main, as he is still like thousands of light years away from every station

This is why I was excited, as changing the name from the options would have meant I could have given my main ship a name, even out in the black void

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

This was working great until I blew up enough of their skimmers that I'm hostile now and my cheap-to-rebuy missile boat is getting blown up by their patrol before I can get close enough to the skimmers. Gonna have to bring over a bigger boat to take out their ships first which will slow things down a bit.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Gee whiz, finally being able to play around with the weapon experimental effects for real after almost 2 years is nice.

Also, +1 that the material traders own and the new planets look fantastic.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

By patrols do you just mean that one ship that sits by the base? For some reason last night it wouldn’t ever move, so I would only get shot at if it spawned as something with a turret like an anaconda or python. Eagles and vipers and asps just sat there and stared straight ahead while I bobbled to respawn skimmers.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Gonkish posted:

This Volynov skimmer farming is ridiculous. I started out at 245 million. My next run will push me over a billion. :allears:

Also a great way to grind Fed rank, to boot.

So where can I go to hop on this gravy train while it still exists?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Behotti posted:

So where can I go to hop on this gravy train while it still exists?

check the video I posted earlier.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Arcturas posted:

By patrols do you just mean that one ship that sits by the base? For some reason last night it wouldn’t ever move, so I would only get shot at if it spawned as something with a turret like an anaconda or python. Eagles and vipers and asps just sat there and stared straight ahead while I bobbled to respawn skimmers.

They did the same for me except once where flac cannons shot out of the mountain at me. I guess the ship got bugged into the ground?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

jubjub64 posted:

They did the same for me except once where flac cannons shot out of the mountain at me. I guess the ship got bugged into the ground?

Yep! That's killed me once or twice. You can also respawn the ship to get an easier guardian by popping out into supercruise or orbital flight and doing the loop of shame.

I'm assuming that if they fix this, the bug is that the defense ship isn't properly engaging or something so they'll add a fight nearby. Which would be sad.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 4, 2018

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I spent way too much time to get the last little bit of jump range, but here it is:

That's with shields and sensors etc. for exploring.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

TomR posted:

I spent way too much time to get the last little bit of jump range, but here it is:

That's with shields and sensors etc. for exploring.

Nice! If you take out everything and replace the tank with a half-sized, can you get close to 80?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
No, maybe get another ly or two tops.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Frontier should add carbon fiber hulls

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wasn’t the skimmer farmer thing in an earlier version and frontier patched it out? wonder what made it come back

i don’t think i’m going to play elite today i hope they don’t patch it out before i get to try it

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Based on other former money makers it'll take a few weeks to get patched out.

Wouldn't be surprised if they changed up or lowered the way the other non-money rewards work though. Can get a poo poo ton of rep or items for very little effort.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'd love an empire one like this.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Should be able to just flip through eddb looking for war/civil wars with empire as an active participant?

Wouldn't be as effective as finding sweet spot systems with almost nothing but missions targeting one faction but should still get you a decent flow of skimmer killing ones.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

SpannerX posted:

I'd love an empire one like this.

Yeah, I wish I had waited a week to grind through all my Fed ranks...
Oh well, I guess I'll have to console myself with billions of credits.

Also, I heard this is a cool system to visit: Skaude AA-A h294
Apparently it has a ringed neutron star among other things.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 4, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
How long doing this new thing would it take to be able to get your rank up enough to buy that great big federation ship?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hakimashou posted:

How long doing this new thing would it take to be able to get your rank up enough to buy that great big federation ship?

Fractionally as long as any other method.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Doing the rank grind right now is definitely recommended before they lower the rewards.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

wasn’t the skimmer farmer thing in an earlier version and frontier patched it out? wonder what made it come back

i don’t think i’m going to play elite today i hope they don’t patch it out before i get to try it

Yeah, the exact same thing was in a previous patch. I think they fixed it by limiting the number of simultaneous missions or something.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn’t faction grind legitimately gated by number of missions done and nothing else, which is why donation missions have always been the best way to work on it since you can just throw cash at a dozen and get as much rank up as doing a dozen other missions? or am i thinking of somethig else

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

isn’t faction grind legitimately gated by number of missions done and nothing else, which is why donation missions have always been the best way to work on it since you can just throw cash at a dozen and get as much rank up as doing a dozen other missions? or am i thinking of somethig else

Not quite - it is by rep gained from missions, which was always variable but not by as much. Now you can choose to have less cash and more rep as mission rewards which helps a lot, and the million cr donation missions seem to give a big chunk of rep each.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Also, if you didn't know with the new skimmer mission money grab - you don't have to log out and back in to make the skimmers respawn. If the sentry ship isn't shooting at you you can just reverse to about 350m and then move back in to about 250m and they will pop back out of the ground. Makes it go by really quick.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
just found an icy body with a surface temp of over 500k...

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Does suiciding work to help speed up these new skimmer missions?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Do you get a bounty on your ship for shooting the skimmers and base?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

gender illusionist posted:

just found an icy body with a surface temp of over 500k...

You mean Kelvin, I hope, not thousands of °C… :magical:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trustworthy posted:

Does suiciding work to help speed up these new skimmer missions?

That's what I was doing in a sidey. I should have gotten rid of the shields one of the times I respawned. Instead I kept going into silent running mode and boosting into the ground. What's 3k when you are making 60m + a run?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Suiciding definitely helps by sending you back to the station instantly, and you can still turn in the completed missions.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Since beyond dropped I’ve loved playing this game for all the cool new stuff they’ve put in it. I really hate playing the game like this exploit stuff but holy crap is this some fast as hell rank and money accumulation.

There’s no way this lasts long.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Although a part of me sometimes wonders if they put something like this in the game for a few weeks (or just leave it once found) so people can amass cash and enjoy the new stuff a little bit.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Made the mistake of reading the brown sea. Holy gently caress there's nothing good about that place. Just a bunch of grogs angry about fun having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

SpannerX posted:

That's what I was doing in a sidey. I should have gotten rid of the shields one of the times I respawned. Instead I kept going into silent running mode and boosting into the ground. What's 3k when you are making 60m + a run?

Couldn't you just self destruct?

• Locked thread