Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Something cool about Xenoblade 2 (though I don't know if X did this) that when you kill a "Named" monster, it creates a little tombstone that lets you keep respawning the monster, meaning you can grind exp, and loot from them pretty easy by just constantly killing and reviving them.

Also the Nopon's in this game are super cute. I do think Goonapon is a slight step down from Heropon, but better than whatever the hell Tatsu was supposed to be.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is Metal Gear Survive playable offline or no? It's hard to find a good survival game that isn't also some MMO bullshit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Is Metal Gear Survive playable offline or no? It's hard to find a good survival game that isn't also some MMO bullshit.

"Offline" in that you can play the entire game in single player but you have to be connected to the internet to play it at all.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

food court bailiff posted:

I don't really know anything about Metal Gear Survive other than that Kojima isn't at the helm, and I kind of assumed it would be 90% microtransaction cash grab. All the stories in this thread (and, ironically, the sister thread) sound super cool, though. It's more survivalist/exploration based?
Sure Kojima isn't directing but it seems most of the people on Survive worked on earlier MGS games, so you still have the people that did the actual work left. As far as I can tell the micro transaction are exactly the same as in MGSV: Only for extra character slots, resource boosts and emotes. The only one that's actually in you face is the exploration teams but otherwise you have to go look for them in submenus, I haven't even seen any mention of them in the loading screens either. But yeah the always online is pretty bullshit.

To me it scratches the same itch as Dying Light, and it's one of the few stealth games that encourages reconnaissance and multiple trips to achieve things instead of just winging it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Game is balanced around the base experience too. The boosters and extra teams kill the difficulty curve, sadly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just bought Way to the West for PS4 - it's a really charming top down game where you play as four adventurers who all journey to the West for their own reasons and inevitably meet, coming into contact with mysterious totem poles that resemble the four of them. I haven't got to proper teamwork yet, the thief just used the kid for a bit then ditched him, but the mechanics are being added, and characters get interesting mechanics like instead of swimming the little boy gets magical ice skates that create paths for him to skate on that are really fun to use. He also gets a shovel that he can use to dig underground wherever there is soft earth for stealth (enemies cannot see him while underground) or exploration, and can squeeze through small holes.

Also the game mechanics form a strong thematic base - there is a mysterious old woman obsessed with making the main characters work together, so of course as soon as the thief can she ditches the kid and ends up having to use her second ability, animal mind-control (the first being to grapple with her scarf) to control squirrels and make them do what the boy should have been there to do in the first place wrt small holes. The mechanics are yelling at her, "You idiot you should have brought the kid along!"

Some of the story beats are really cute too despite the layers of hosed-up that they are wrapped in, like the enslaved children who are forced to work in the mine, who think that they are on the moon with no way home due to what the older kids are telling them to keep them in line.

The map is clearly drawn so you always know roughly where you are going. It's a really cute and fun game. Fast travel is fairly effortless too as the aforementioned totems are everywhere and act as checkpoints/fast travel stations.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I started playing Axiom Verge yesterday. There's a lot that I like so far; the labcoat of phasing through walls and the first secret world were super cool. But, one of the most interesting to me is that this is one of the only games I have ever seen where I don't hate the low health warning noise, an issue I have mentioned before in the complaining thread. It's synced to the rhythm of the music, and the sound it makes fits the rest of the game's sound font and is balanced to be noticeable without being overbearing. The low health warning actually feels like an organic part of the music.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Another game that does it in a cool way is Probability 0, which is good because it's the most clear-cut sign that you're about to die.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

maou shoujo posted:

It's synced to the rhythm of the music, and the sound it makes fits the rest of the game's sound font and is balanced to be noticeable without being overbearing. The low health warning actually feels like an organic part of the music.

EVERYTHING in Axiom Verge is synced to the music. The health bar status pulse, enemy attacks, Trace's idle bop animation, background animations, enemy twitches, everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Exit Strategy posted:

EVERYTHING in Axiom Verge is synced to the music. The health bar status pulse, enemy attacks, Trace's idle bop animation, background animations, enemy twitches, everything.

In Bionic Commando Rearmed the music in some levels is diagetic; you hear it muffled before entering a bunker and it cuts out if you kill the power. The hardest platforming sections are made a lot easier if you swing and hook in tune to the beat or downbeat. The whole trailer was synced too, which is pretty great. (You can do the bit where he falls with the shotgun in game. :v:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-hqzneyuU

They tried to do it again with Bionic Commando 09's trailer but all they managed was shooting the machine gun vaguely in sync. :(

Then again the japanese trailer gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lh9yBzkl8Q

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Mar 3, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I don't really know anything about Metal Gear Survive other than that Kojima isn't at the helm, and I kind of assumed it would be 90% microtransaction cash grab. All the stories in this thread (and, ironically, the sister thread) sound super cool, though. It's more survivalist/exploration based?

Dark Souls 3 continues to be awesome, and I think it's breaking me of some bad gaming habits I've gotten through the years - namely obsessively wiki'ing everything in games with permanently missable quests/items. A lot of DS3 NPC interactions are really, really weird, and it's usually recommended that you wiki them before playing so you know what you can do keep everyone alive or whatever. I did that early on (honestly, mostly to check if the old fire keeper merchant lady ever does anything weird - someone had written "be wary of betrayal" at her feet) and realized that I would never remember most of it. I've been playing pretty much blind, taking consequences as they come, and it's rad and really fits with the game's tone.

Dark Souls 3 is the worst about it in that even WITH A wiki, some times the quests just gently caress up and don't work because they operate on King's Quest levels of logic. Especially Greirat who even has possibly? unused dialogue for surviving his final expedition IIRC. While his entire quest line is a hosed up bunch of timing and logic. Half the NPC quests can be completely failed by stepping into a specific zone too early, or killing one boss before another. You can completely ruin any mage run by killing a boss before giving one NPC an item you find in the same area as that same boss.

Anyway; I started playing Stellaris and it's really fun. I'm playing as a slightly modified version of these cool homolog dudes that assimilate other life forms and when an alien race tries to contact me, my only dialogue option is "JOIN US". Also one of my scientists committed suicide. It's kind of dumb that that -can- even happen I guess? But I thought it was neat and cool as weird and annoying as it is. Dude just up and offed himself one morning.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The game I've started playing, (which is actually called "World to the West", I hosed up the title earlier), just oozes charm. Most characters in the game don't do anything when you press the button that you don't know the purpose of yet, but when playing as the Giant Bodybuilding Clone he does a strongman pose :3:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

The game I've started playing, (which is actually called "World to the West", I hosed up the title earlier), just oozes charm. Most characters in the game don't do anything when you press the button that you don't know the purpose of yet, but when playing as the Giant Bodybuilding Clone he does a strongman pose :3:
I've seen this at Gamestop but the case tells me nothing, what is it?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

EmmyOk posted:

There's a hospital scene in Life is Strange: Before the Storm and the room numbers have accurate braille beneath the numbers rather than just some dots. Really really cool.

A similar bit of detail I always appreciated in Payday 2 is that in the art gallery map there's a loaner wheelchair or two tucked against the wall next to the bathroom. Didn't need to be there at all, but it's cool that they are.

And less of a little thing, the museum map is a pretty meticulous recreation of a real place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

EmmyOk posted:

There's a hospital scene in Life is Strange: Before the Storm and the room numbers have accurate braille beneath the numbers rather than just some dots. Really really cool.

There are a ton of little call-forwards in Before the Storm besides just the most overt references. Despite being developed by a different studio you can tell Deck Nine were huge fans of the original series and even offered explanations for Dontnod's own continuity errors, like how Blackwell was simultaneously a high school but also a one-year finishing program for seniors, or Rachel Amber being a Leo despite her birthday falling on April 22nd.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My Time In Portia drastically reduces the Second Monitor Problem, and its great.

The SMP is when you've got a game with a craft system that doesn't give you any handholds on how to make everything. You'll need to find what parts make up a Big Machine, where those parts are, and where those part's raw materials come from.

In MTiP, your crafting journal helpfully puts all of that in-game, very clearly, written in a style of someone intentionally being as helpful as they can. If something need four parts to build, each part is listed with the number of raw materials needed to create it, and where they are found. It's great to just read in-game how much copper ore I'll need to make how much copper ingots to make how much copper tubing.

Bonus related thing, the crafting system doesn't operate on the "you need everything before you start to make this thing" system. Got the tires and radio parts done for a transport? Just chuck them on the blueprint while you're off looking for ore to turn into metal to turn into sheeting. It's pleasant to avoid the wait-what-did-I-make-these-things-for problem.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MisterBibs posted:

My Time In Portia drastically reduces the Second Monitor Problem, and its great.

The SMP is when you've got a game with a craft system that doesn't give you any handholds on how to make everything. You'll need to find what parts make up a Big Machine, where those parts are, and where those part's raw materials come from.

In MTiP, your crafting journal helpfully puts all of that in-game, very clearly, written in a style of someone intentionally being as helpful as they can. If something need four parts to build, each part is listed with the number of raw materials needed to create it, and where they are found. It's great to just read in-game how much copper ore I'll need to make how much copper ingots to make how much copper tubing.

Bonus related thing, the crafting system doesn't operate on the "you need everything before you start to make this thing" system. Got the tires and radio parts done for a transport? Just chuck them on the blueprint while you're off looking for ore to turn into metal to turn into sheeting. It's pleasant to avoid the wait-what-did-I-make-these-things-for problem.

It's called memory. You remember these things you encounter. You use your brain to perform the simple arithmetic. I'm dumb as gently caress and I've never felt the pressing need to get a second monitor just for use in crafting games.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

Dark Souls 3 continues to be awesome, and I think it's breaking me of some bad gaming habits I've gotten through the years - namely obsessively wiki'ing everything in games with permanently missable quests/items. A lot of DS3 NPC interactions are really, really weird, and it's usually recommended that you wiki them before playing so you know what you can do keep everyone alive or whatever. I did that early on (honestly, mostly to check if the old fire keeper merchant lady ever does anything weird - someone had written "be wary of betrayal" at her feet) and realized that I would never remember most of it. I've been playing pretty much blind, taking consequences as they come, and it's rad and really fits with the game's tone.

I feel like every Souls game should start with a blind run, then you hit the wiki to see what you missed. I COMPLETELY missed two entire areas and was excited I had more to explore in NG+.

On that note, I'm playing through Demon's Souls for the first time and I like that one of the bosses has dialog that calls attention to the fact that your quest and what you're doing at that point in the game is PRETTY hosed UP. It's like the Kaath vs. Frampt thing in Dark Souls. It forces you to consider that maaaybe you're not the "good guy" in this story.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

It's called memory. You remember these things you encounter. You use your brain to perform the simple arithmetic. I'm dumb as gently caress and I've never felt the pressing need to get a second monitor just for use in crafting games.

Math is hard (do not pass go, do not collect 200 bucks, do not attempt to say it's not because that's about as defensible as saying blue is red) and I've got the memory of a gnat that barely holds grown up stuff, much less crafting recipes in video games. :shrug:

I get that some people dig games not telling you poo poo and hate the notion of games being helpful, but hey, it's a Little Thing that makes the game more pleasant than others.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've seen this at Gamestop but the case tells me nothing, what is it?

It's a puzzle adventure game where you play as 4 different characters who are each having their own objectives to do. Some of them do things to permanently open certain areas, like opening a door with a key or breaking down a big block, and some of them have things only they can interact with like the Technomancer is the only character who can use the yellow hover-pads to get height. The stories sometimes intersect, like the Technomancer is trying to find a piece of ancient tech that will allow her to fix a teleporter to get her home, but the mercenary already stole that from it's rightful place and sold it to someone to then betrayed her, so both characters now have the same goal for now - revenge against the rear end in a top hat and get the item back. The structure of the game is top down, reminiscent of old Zelda games although some characters can't fight very well and need to avoid enemies cleverly and there are two intersecting world maps, one above ground, one below ground. It's hard to explain so I may do a short one-off video of the first few chapters to show off how the gameplay works.

also it appears that at that branch of the game store no one has actually played the game themselves or knows anyone who has. When I asked how the game worked ahead of time the guy had no idea so I took a chance and it paid off. I definitely recommend it but have no idea how long or short it is right now. There is a menu that I can access with like, 10 tabs, each tab having 3 things on it but I have not found anything that corresponds to that yet. That may be a late game thing or a 100% thing or it may be nothing, I'll keep playing and find out.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Mar 4, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

Or, maybe it’s just nice not to have to remember how many blue ores you need to complete each of the twelve parts of the final recipe.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Or, maybe it’s just nice not to have to remember how many blue ores you need to complete each of the twelve parts of the final recipe.

Twelve? With mods the final recipe is twelve items where half ingredients have twelve step recipes of their own, and the other half need twenty four ingredients themselves.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Math is hard (do not pass go, do not collect 200 bucks, do not attempt to say it's not because that's about as defensible as saying blue is red) and I've got the memory of a gnat that barely holds grown up stuff, much less crafting recipes in video games. :shrug:

I get that some people dig games not telling you poo poo and hate the notion of games being helpful, but hey, it's a Little Thing that makes the game more pleasant than others.
I like that Factorio will just craft the little bits and pieces you need if you're making a bigger thing. Yes I know I need cogs for the building, but the game sees that I have the stuff needed to make cogs so it just makes the loving cogs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MisterBibs posted:

I bounced off this insanely hard around when you started to make the transport system for the town. It turned from a charming little crafting game to a massive grindfest. I spent four days solid in the second ruin trying to get enough of the engines to make them and then went "gently caress this" and uninstalled. Might try it again when it releases but for now it's in the "glad I tried but not for me" basket.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I am enjoying Dishonored 2's New Game +. I liked going from tentative stealth clutz pacifist Emily to rat spewing, time stopping, buzzsaw of death Corvo with all my extra runes. I am going to follow up with Bloody Empress and then a stealth Corvo who isn't seen ever. Stacking custom bonecharms to make stealth movement faster than running and making it so only every third power used costs mana is also neat. The trend of games not letting you use cheat codes or New Game pluses irritates me. Sometimes I want to gently caress around like a god, especially if I already beat the game. I don't give a poo poo about achievements.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Croccers posted:

I like that Factorio will just craft the little bits and pieces you need if you're making a bigger thing. Yes I know I need cogs for the building, but the game sees that I have the stuff needed to make cogs so it just makes the loving cogs.

Only if you're crafting from your inventory, which, if you're doing that, you need to build more Assemblers instead. :science:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

RyokoTK posted:

Only if you're crafting from your inventory, which, if you're doing that, you need to build more Assemblers instead. :science:

Factorio is the best. Start out the game mining coal by hand and a couple hours later you have an industrial hell factory manned by drones and automated trains while you blow up bugs in a tank.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Croccers posted:

Oh man I got so spoiled by Factorio with this. Seems like all the games with crafting insist it should be as cumbersome as possible. It should be a standard thing and yet everyone's stuck in minecraft levels of user friendliness.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Acute Grill posted:

Factorio is the best. Start out the game mining coal by hand and a couple hours later you have an industrial hell factory manned by drones and automated trains while you blow up bugs in a tank.

A couple hours?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Acute Grill posted:

Or you make an artillery train that blows up the countryside for a mile around when parked.

https://youtu.be/pDLIkfSLTmU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Now that the whole party is officially together in World to the West, it's totally opened up. Now that every character is available and they have all their powers, I'm able to get them to areas that those characters had no way of getting to before, and finding whole new collecitbles and things. I have 2 dungeons that the game wants me to go to, one that is gated by lore collectables (the ones that go in the menu that confused me prior) which tell the backstory of the world, and one that I just need to find a way to.

Also the game's kinda pretty :3: So far, that mountain only exists to make the camera zoom out to that panorama.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
My favourite little thing in a game was how ET made everyone collectively realise video games are trash and turn people into bad people, and for a beautiful moment the entire medium disappeared. Do it again, Atari.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

ET wasn't a bad game in itself, given that it was programmed by one guy in three months, but it was the straw that broke the metaphor's back. In 1982 every company thought you could make a games console and call it a day, and there was no internet so players couldn't converse about which games were good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't they do something insane like making more copies of ET than there were consoles sold?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't they do something insane like making more copies of ET than there were consoles sold?

Nah, the sales of the 2600 was over 20 million at the time ET was released. The source of that rumour likely comes from Atari internal estimates that, of those 20 million units sold, fewer than 4 million (the amount of ET cartridges produced) still saw regular use.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

My favourite little thing in a game was how ET made everyone collectively realise video games are trash and turn people into bad people, and for a beautiful moment the entire medium disappeared. Do it again, Atari.

please rediscover the beautiful sole who hleped ppl find good 5 Nights at Freddys lets plays

Flesnolk posted:

It's a little early for a lot of LPers to have much up, but this guy has a no commentary playthrough. You'll have to catch the first bit of the commentary version to see the first cutscene but that's it.

Edit: I lied, here he has a video that's the entire game, nights 1-7, all cutscenes and no commentary. Enjoy.

exquisite tea posted:

There are a ton of little call-forwards in Before the Storm besides just the most overt references. Despite being developed by a different studio you can tell Deck Nine were huge fans of the original series and even offered explanations for Dontnod's own continuity errors, like how Blackwell was simultaneously a high school but also a one-year finishing program for seniors, or Rachel Amber being a Leo despite her birthday falling on April 22nd.

I'm not American so I have no idea how the school system works there but that's cool! I did find Rachel's horoscope but I'd never picked up on it being incorrect. I think Deck Nine did a great job but I want to replay LiS and see if David was as inconsistent there as he was in BtS.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Nope, that was Pac-Man (12 million units produced when it was made).

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Flesnolk posted:

God drat I wanna flip out so bad right now. I’m gettin really angry.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Maybe one day we can go back to the age before video games, when people were good and kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

ET wasn't a bad game in itself, given
I mean it's impressive that it turns on, but it's a really loving bad game.

Randalor posted:

Nope, that was Pac-Man (12 million units produced when it was made).
This was a bigger disappointment though.