Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

lets hang out posted:

Oh wow. Also thanks to whoever mentioned Dragon Friends itt a while ago, i blew through all of it in a couple of weeks and it's really great

I still think the best part was the very first time Strahd spoke.

No spoilers for the thread but :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I haven’t listened to dust, but I thought amnesty was way better than commitment

That's because it was!

I get that people would be frustrated about the split party thing, but that party is by far the most interesting one.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
I think the part that people hated the most about Amnesty was not the setting, characters or the rabbit, but rather Griffin saying first that PbtA meant that he would merely react as a GM to the party's shenanigans and then proceeded to transform Amnesty into Griffin's Soliloquy, feat. the Party as little more than an afterthought.

Like others have said, if Amnesty is the next season and they keep that format, think I'll skip it. Dust is probably the best choice out of the current 3 mini-arcs, though, and Justin's miniarc was probably consumed by Cooper (and his self-admitted lack of interest in GMing)

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, the story, setting, and characters of Amnesty were great. But it’s an audiobook, not a game podcast.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

El Padrino posted:

I think the part that people hated the most about Amnesty was not the setting, characters or the rabbit, but rather Griffin saying first that PbtA meant that he would merely react as a GM to the party's shenanigans and then proceeded to transform Amnesty into Griffin's Soliloquy, feat. the Party as little more than an afterthought.

I'm not into horror-adjacent modern fantasy stuff to begin with so Amnesty was always going to be a hard sell for me, but I didn't even like the core idea. "Help the good monsters fight the bad monsters while also protecting the secret of Monster World" feels more like a bad YA series than something I'd want to listen to for the next three years. Unless Griffin is planning to run it like the Balance arc where the first season was a generic fantasy adventure and then took a hard left into some crazy science-fantasy secret police elevator riding game, I just don't see it holding my interest.

I don't think Griffin ran it well, which also didn't help matters any.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 4, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I agree but I get the feeling that basically everywhere except here Amnesty will be more popular and get more votes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I agree but I get the feeling that basically everywhere except here Amnesty will be more popular and get more votes.

What are you basing this on? Was Amnesty super popular on twitter?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

You might be right, but I dipped into the reddit out of curiosity for the first time the other day and there’s a lot of the same criticisms floating around in there. I have no idea how common that sentiment is in general but I’m kinda glad other people are seeing it, at least.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It seems to lean in to all the elements the latter half of the first arc which is when the pod really blew up.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It seems to lean in to all the elements the latter half of the first arc which is when the pod really blew up.

I can see why you might think that, but that really isn't what I've seen in other places like Tumblr and reddit.

redcheval posted:

You might be right, but I dipped into the reddit out of curiosity for the first time the other day and there’s a lot of the same criticisms floating around in there. I have no idea how common that sentiment is in general but I’m kinda glad other people are seeing it, at least.

Yeah, pretty much. Amnesty definitely has its fans, but it's flaws were also definitely noticed.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He's basing it on the fact that he's complaining about it, so it must be true

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also because Griffin doesn't wanna give up the podcast, man, and Clint wishes he was never born!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Waffleman_ posted:

Also because Griffin doesn't wanna give up the podcast, man, and Clint wishes he was never born!

Griffin secretly convinced Sydnee and Justin to have a second child so Justin would be too tired to DM.

You
Oct 6, 2009
Clint seems to be such a loveable guy. He seems really proud of his boys and really enjoying being a part of TAZ. Also during the TTAZZ after Balance when he spoke about how he thought that their mothers touch was a throughline during the narrative and how the "arms outstretched" bit was more Clint than Merle (Leave no boy behind!) felt really heartwarming to me.

Clint is a great dad.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

Griffin secretly convinced Sydnee and Justin to have a second child so Justin would be too tired to DM.

Joke’s on him! Trying to decrease Justin’s ability to podcast by making him tired is like trying to decrease Goku’s ability to fight by making him go super saiyan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

You posted:

Clint seems to be such a loveable guy. He seems really proud of his boys and really enjoying being a part of TAZ. Also during the TTAZZ after Balance when he spoke about how he thought that their mothers touch was a throughline during the narrative and how the "arms outstretched" bit was more Clint than Merle (Leave no boy behind!) felt really heartwarming to me.

Clint is a great dad.

it's genuinely so sweet that his twitter presence is now 90% him just retweeting/replying to TAZ fan projects/comments.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I get the criticisms of Amnesty and agree with them to some degree but I also think Griffin handles exposition and storytelling much better than Clint or Travis, and I don’t mind listening to him telling a story. If they do Amnesty they just need to tweak the balance a bit.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Didn’t they expressly say up top that the final decision wasn’t up for a vote?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

I get the criticisms of Amnesty and agree with them to some degree but I also think Griffin handles exposition and storytelling much better than Clint or Travis, and I don’t mind listening to him telling a story. If they do Amnesty they just need to tweak the balance a bit.

Yeah this is p much where I'm at.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The Modern Leper posted:

Also, have they ever explicitly said that the next major arc will be a continuation of one of the mini-arcs?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Modern Leper posted:

I think they said they're gonna listen to fans about what they like but yea the core deciding thing is gonna be what THEY enjoy and can do the easiest for everyone. Because...no poo poo...

So yea if one gets like, massively beloved by the fans and dominates social media obviously they'll notice and be all 'oh that's a good sign' but yea I don't think there's gonna be a proper poll.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

Also, have they ever explicitly said that the next major arc will be a continuation of one of the mini-arcs?

Yeah, the whole point of these mini-arcs is to take different systems and settings for a test run before deciding which one should be the next big thing. Even if they get to the end of The Adventure Zone: gently caress and decide they were unsatisfied with all of them, they will probably keep doing mini-arcs rather than starting a new major arc blind.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm actually a little surprised at how strong the positive reception for Dust has been, I came away thinking it was still finding its feet. Justin and Clint in particular seemed like they were still trying to figure out their characters a bit and took the backseat somewhat when deciding what to do or where to go.

I haven't heard TAZ: Knights yet so I didn't know what to expect from Travis as GM, but he's doing pretty good if still a little rough. He seems to have to stop the action a lot to exposit or explain, there's a lot of mechanics and setting details to introduce all at once considering the gang has to keep track of it all to solve a murder. I think Amnesty may have done a better job pacing out that worldbuilding, in both cases it might be because they've got a longer series plot in mind but keeping a lid on what'll be relevant just for this mini-arc is important too. I also can't really say any of the NPCs caught my attention yet (the Angel of Death being the undertaker felt sort of out-of-the-blue) but there were a lot of them this episode so maybe they'll get a chance to shine later.

Nevertheless, I'm optimistic things'll pull together quickly, and I'm looking forward to them actually having to hammer out a mystery (or fail in the attempt!).

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Dolash posted:

I'm actually a little surprised at how strong the positive reception for Dust has been, I came away thinking it was still finding its feet. Justin and Clint in particular seemed like they were still trying to figure out their characters a bit

No poo poo, that was the first episode. What do you expect?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Maybe they were just a bit unused to having any agency with regard to their characters for the first time in awhile?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sexpig by night posted:

I think they said they're gonna listen to fans about what they like but yea the core deciding thing is gonna be what THEY enjoy and can do the easiest for everyone. Because...no poo poo...

So yea if one gets like, massively beloved by the fans and dominates social media obviously they'll notice and be all 'oh that's a good sign' but yea I don't think there's gonna be a proper poll.

Yeah, I think the fan portion of deciding what's next is probably going to be based on the ratings more than any social media reaction. Are podcast downloads reported anywhere? Obviously they have better access to numbers but I remember Griffin mentioning the numbers nosediving when they started the mini arcs and that playing a part in going weekly.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDq1HuU83dU

OK, what the gently caress is with the McElroys' pronunciation of mauve

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Zeeman posted:

These animations are good but it bothers me so much that they don't give Griffin and Travis glasses

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zeeman posted:

I mean if you've never heard it said correctly out loud and just went with what you assumed it was from the spelling, that's how you'd pronounce it

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it the 'right way' (rhyming with stove)

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I think the fan portion of deciding what's next is probably going to be based on the ratings more than any social media reaction. Are podcast downloads reported anywhere? Obviously they have better access to numbers but I remember Griffin mentioning the numbers nosediving when they started the mini arcs and that playing a part in going weekly.

You mistook a goof for an actual statement

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

flatluigi posted:

You mistook a goof for an actual statement

That... did not at all sound like a goof.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Getting away from complaining about amnesty for a minute; I kind of hope whatever the next arc is, it's not about their characters all working for another secret organization again.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Getting away from complaining about amnesty for a minute; I kind of hope whatever the next arc is, it's not about their characters all working for another secret organization again.

We're like 2.5/3 so far, so you're out of luck here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Make Dust the next long-term arc but give it Amnesty's theme music.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/mauve

It's an accepted pronunciation.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Nuebot posted:

it's four sherlock holmes's trying to work out which is the real sherlock holmes

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Maybe we can have Griff set up the intros and the outtros per episode, setting up the world and building it up and the music, and then having Trav GM the game.

Get a combination of the two. Griffis. or Travin.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I mean...the graysons aren’t that secret, at least

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"You done butt punched the cum right out of me" is maybe the funniest thing I've heard in a while

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

As much as they've maybe overused having an explicit organization be the reason the players are all working together, it *is* the easiest and quickest way to explain why three unrelated people are jumping into a story together. If anything I'd say Amnesty had the slowest, most organic buildup to why these three people would be working together and the thinnest amount of organization (basically just Mama), and people groused endlessly about how long it was taking to get everyone together.

Fantasy adventures have the well-worn "you all meet at a tavern and a man in a cloak rolls up to give you a job" trope to lean on, but most settings would take a decent amount of work to put a bunch of independent people together. It's not even necessarily worth the trouble, it's not like the McElroys are particularly inclined to run games where everyone's an independent operator with their own agenda. Commitment's probably the closest example if that continues since the team's basically gone rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LMM did two 'great job' honks on the Oscars red carpet :3:

https://twitter.com/tole_cover/status/970459411243261952