Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright, we talking Russo again?
Is their any precedent of Russo's misogynistic tendencies away from the ring or could his misogynistic stuff just be a sign of the times in which he was booking?
Because it's not like WWF got any better about that after he left.

I don't want to defend Vince Russo.
I just want to be fair about it. So that when we say 'Vince Russo really hates women' we can say it proudly.

Considering that his horrible treatment of women extended into his time with TNA, I think it's safe to say that it's a Russo problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, here's a game.

List every instance of "WWE guy who has some really cool signature move but uses a weakshit Neckbreaker variant as a finisher instead." you can think of.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

stone cold

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

ChrisBTY posted:

Is their any precedent of Russo's misogynistic tendencies away from the ring or could his misogynistic stuff just be a sign of the times in which he was booking?

I just want to be fair about it. So that when we say 'Vince Russo really hates women' we can say it proudly.

There’s tons of it everywhere he’s worked

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ChrisBTY posted:

WWE got at least a LITTLE better after he left. They sometimes booked Trish and Lita as actual athletes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That might be worse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defiance Industries posted:

WWE got at least a LITTLE better after he left. They sometimes booked Trish and Lita as actual athletes.

Trish barking like a dog, Austin beating up Lita, the Kane/Lita rape angle and so much more were after he left.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Just listening to Ophidian's podcast and I was wondering ...why isn't he on more indie shows? He seems pretty talented though I do not know anything about his personality outside of the ring.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

VJeff posted:

Okay, here's a game.

List every instance of "WWE guy who has some really cool signature move but uses a weakshit Neckbreaker variant as a finisher instead." you can think of.

I almost want to say Ravishing Rick Rude here, but you’ve got a downer view on neckbreakers, so maybe anybody with a cutter?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Will Ospreay's springboard cutter always feels weird as a finisher when he does a billion cooler moves as nearfalls

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

MassRafTer posted:

Trish barking like a dog, Austin beating up Lita, the Kane/Lita rape angle and so much more were after he left.

Yeah, Trish wasn't booked as "she's a really good wrestler" until about 2003 or so, when they started bringing in the odd woman who could actually work, like Victoria or Mickie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Orton's backbreaker looks about million times more brutal than his RKO

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Davros1 posted:

Orton's backbreaker looks about million times more brutal than his RKO

Tbf backbreakers are awesome and underused. Bring back Sgt.Slaughters overhead gut slam as well

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Tbf backbreakers are awesome and underused. Bring back Sgt.Slaughters overhead gut slam as well

Do I have a cruiserweight for you, then!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

Do I have a cruiserweight for you, then!

Two, in fact. :v:

btw, if you're wondering what spurred this vitriol against neckbreaker finishers, it's Elias and Jason Jordan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But Elias doesn't do anything cool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I almost want to say Ravishing Rick Rude here, but you’ve got a downer view on neckbreakers, so maybe anybody with a cutter?

The Rude Awakening loving kicked rear end

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

But Elias doesn't do anything cool.

That electric chair Power Bomb is sorta cool and definitely better than Drift Away.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VJeff posted:

That electric chair Power Bomb is sorta cool and definitely better than Drift Away.

Oh yeah, i forgot about everything that happened in that match. Apparently that was his indie finisher.

Nikki Cross does a better fisherman neckbreaker anyway.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay after looking around a bit apparently Elias used to do a sort of Rainmaker pull into a snap swinging neckbreaker in NXT and it looks about a million times better than what he does now. Still not as cool as that power bomb though.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

MassRafTer posted:

Don't forget 3-Minute Warning stiffing the HLA women so bad they got fractured ribs, all of Test's misogynistic run in 2003, Austin stunnering Stacy Keibler in the middle of said run where she was being abused by Test, Piggy James...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

Don't forget 3-Minute Warning stiffing the HLA women so bad they got fractured ribs, all of Test's misogynistic run in 2003, Austin stunnering Stacy Keibler in the middle of said run where she was being abused by Test, Piggy James...

Plus all the gross poo poo they did to Vickie Guerrero

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
D-X raping a coed happened after Ferrara and Russo left too...I had tried to purge that one from my memory :v:

-Also, all of the Vince and Sable interactions once she returned to company AFTER suing Vince personally for sexual harassment.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It should be pointed out of course that Russo left the company when it was doing well and they had as yet no reason to rethink the way they were booking women or really any other part of the roster. Russo on the other hand stuck to his bullshit in the face of ever more failure on smaller and smaller scales.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
There should be more electric chair drops, preferably into an atomic drop or back rake.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sit out Electric Chair.

No drop, the attacker just sits out.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

There should be more electric chair drops, preferably into an atomic drop or back rake.

Electric chairs and flapjacks should be finishers imo.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They did a ton of stupid poo poo after Russo left. The period where the PTC was going after sponsors resulted in the RTC and lots of repugnant stuff to "stick it" to them. In turn they lost even more sponsors. I think the Trish barking stuff was even brought up in that infamous Costas interview where Vince flipped his poo poo.

Also Victoria could work, but I think she actually started as one of Godfather's hos and they saw she had potential.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Of course after he left, Russo goes to WCW and does that really, really creepy angle with Elizabeth where he basically keeps her as a house slave.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DeathChicken posted:

Of course after he left, Russo goes to WCW and does that really, really creepy angle with Elizabeth where he basically keeps her as a house slave.

Wait what?
The only angle I remember with Elizabeth after Russo appeared was the one where she had the fallout with The Total Package, which was rather unpleasant in it's own way but not quite like that.

-Ok, new question.

As somebody who is only familiar with La Parka as a chair swinging comedy wrestler in WCW, what is his deal in Mexico exactly?
What's the difference maker? Because I have trouble imaging that gimmick getting over enough on its own that La Parka would become an icon, no matter how strongly he was booked.
- Is it because he's a really good wrestler and we naturally didn't get to see it in the US (aside from one match against Psicosis in 98 that drew silence from the crowd and was slow and not that good)
- Is it because he can cut promos in Mexico?
- Does he do the Mick Foley thing where he can do goofy and serious at the same time?
- Or is the gimmick just dead serious in Mexico?
- Do Lucha fans just really like skeletons?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait what?
The only angle I remember with Elizabeth after Russo appeared was the one where she had the fallout with The Total Package, which was rather unpleasant in it's own way but not quite like that.

-Ok, new question.

As somebody who is only familiar with La Parka as a chair swinging comedy wrestler in WCW, what is his deal in Mexico exactly?
What's the difference maker? Because I have trouble imaging that gimmick getting over enough on its own that La Parka would become an icon, no matter how strongly he was booked.
- Is it because he's a really good wrestler and we naturally didn't get to see it in the US (aside from one match against Psicosis in 98 that drew silence from the crowd and was slow and not that good)
- Does he do the Mick Foley thing where he can do goofy and serious at the same time?

Parka is a great rudo who can read the crowd well and is a great brawler and there's like an entire holiday around dead and skeletons so yes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My impression of Parka - and it could be entirely wrong - is that both answers are true. He got over in WCW by looking cool and playing a chair guitar but he's good enough that he managed to turn that into real overness for the subsequent couple of decades.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Skeletons are like top 5 coolest thing

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

VJeff posted:

Okay, here's a game.

Blue Thunder Bomb > Helluva Kick
Deep 6 > End of Days

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's always a bummer to me that you basically can't have a move as your finisher if you can't theoretically land it on, like, the big show

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flatluigi posted:

it's always a bummer to me that you basically can't have a move as your finisher if you can't theoretically land it on, like, the big show

Sometimes not even then, if your gimmick isn't "strongman".

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

flatluigi posted:

i can hit show with a vertebreaker

watch me

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait what?

-Ok, new question.

LA Park has incredible charisma, is a fairly good wrestler (although he is fat and broken down now so a lot of the chain wrestling he attempts doesn't look fluid) a great brawler who loves to bleed and well, he's just really good. His promos come off well but I don't speak Spanish, but he sounds like a bad rear end when he cuts them on Rush.

If you book a great brawler as a comedy jobber he will be a comedy jobber if he's a protected main eventer he'll get to shine and be an all time great.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
To be honest part of me wonders if pre-Russo pre-cost cutting WCW would have ever pushed some of the luchadors higher up the card if they signed bigger/exclusive deals and not left them as comedy jobbers/opening match talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Probably not given the racism and politics even before things went south.