Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that slide deck is rather obtuse about a lot of things, but it does get the general spirit of apl-derivatives right for me. powerful operators with simple syntax, very uniform (limited) data structure options, leading to a lot of work being compressible down into single lines. then comments take on a different nature, commenting more on what the line tries to achieve with what input and output data, as it will tend to be a quite self-contained thing

the readability is sort of true, in that one will often just be drilling down into a single line in a systematic way. debugging by rewriting is simultaneously quite true, as the simple structure makes just replacing a line usually pretty straightforward

otoh it doesn't really talk about how to structure larger programs, my experiencec is in kx k/q where doing basically small services tended to be a standard approach, but that is not the way in real apl afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
uh if someone finds APL obscure it's because they're a "computer scientist" and not a "seasoned programmer"? That's rich in view of all the dense lambda calculus papers I've dug through the last few days to find something more practice-oriented I can use in a presentation to users of a language with a similar rep

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
demographically, people with cs degrees and/or significant non-apl experience tend to have very strong negative reactions to apl-family languages

apl has largely clung to life via people who are technical, but not traditionally educated as programmers, and therefore willing/able to get past how alien apl is compared to most other things. downside to this is the apl community on average has a weak grasp of many genuinely useful mainstream practices like using revision control systems or contributing to open source. the situation does seem to be getting a bit better lately.

i love catching lisp weenies talking about how sexprs (aka "no syntax" or so it is claimed) are perfectly readable if only people would put in some effort to get used to them, and then turning around and shrieking in fear and anger at apl's literally impossible, unusable, unlearnable, inhumane, but most importantly, unfamiliar, syntax.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
What I object to are the implications (1) that the typical procedural programmer is steeped in theoretical computer science tradition (2) that academic computer scientists don't recognize the value of concise notation to a point that their output can be just as obscure

As the presentation states, it's a false dichotomy and a poor basis for conclusions

The language i was referring to is forth btw

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 4, 2018

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
as soon as I saw suffix's post about APL I knew Internet Janitor would visit the thread

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

i loving love internet janitors posts

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
apl is great at expressing certain awkward operations in a neat way, like say with the reduce/scan operators.

I wish these bits of expressiveness were adopted in other languages, it soothes my math autism. but I don't know how I feel about basing an entire general purpose language on this style

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
there’s not that much difference between APL and more complex regex engines, i feel like if you use regex you can definitely get APL-likes

:shrug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the most important point of apl (or at least apl-likes, i've only ever done k, q, and j); it really is not very difficult. a lot of up-front learning sure, because you do need to understand what the operations do, but it is not *that* long a list if you were to find yourself either doing it professionally or just being sufficiently interesting. not one of those you can just toy with for an afternoon and work with, but it is not some matter of intelligence or innate skill, just work with it for a week and you're onboard (you'll keep learning idioms and other little tricks for a long time though)

i am not sure it is all that worth it overall, since it sees such limited use, but i do rather love it for just knocking out some quick code

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Haha gently caress Groovy: https://pricefx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/HELP/pages/219481402/Using+Strings+as+Keys+in+Hash+Maps

Also, if you're doing an assertEquals() on two strings, you'd better make sure either they have the same type or you imported GroovyTestCase.assertEquals() and not JUnit's Assert.assertEquals() or you're hosed. And God help you if your IDE organizes your imports and can't tell the difference!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

CPColin posted:

Haha gently caress Groovy: https://pricefx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/HELP/pages/219481402/Using+Strings+as+Keys+in+Hash+Maps

Also, if you're doing an assertEquals() on two strings, you'd better make sure either they have the same type or you imported GroovyTestCase.assertEquals() and not JUnit's Assert.assertEquals() or you're hosed. And God help you if your IDE organizes your imports and can't tell the difference!

wtf is this, it's like the worst parts of dynamic and static typing at the same time

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i would gladly learn apl, my only requirement is that i get to use one of those awesome keyboards

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Symbolic Butt posted:

wtf is this, it's like the worst parts of dynamic and static typing at the same time

That seems to sum up Groovy in a nutshell, at least from what I've seen about the existing code so far at my current job.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

for me, it clears the very VERY low bar of "better than bash"

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Brain Candy posted:

I mean... is it tho

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sweeper posted:

I mean... is it tho

yeah i'm not sure that it really makes it

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i'm not sure that it really makes it

groovy has stupid autoconverting strings that don't work as keys hashmaps

bash doesn't have hashmaps

for file munging i'd actually use something else, but if you want to do a thing that uses all your cool javas, groovy can actually build objects instead making you pass a pile of strings to something. i've used it for config crap with custom logic with some success.

this is opposed to whipping up a lovely DSL that will never have autocomplete

(i'd use clojure instead but it's less familiar to people)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sweeper posted:

I mean... is it tho

yes.

yes it is.

at least groovy has a debugger

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Brain Candy posted:

bash doesn't have hashmaps

recent versions of bash have hashmaps actually

(it only took them twenty five years to copy the feature from ksh)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

You qualify for a free mug of chicken soup for knowing this

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Treat anybody with deep knowledge of bash the same way you treat a person with deep knowledge of what cleaning products are best at removing what bodily fluids from what kinds of surface, for that person has most certainly Seen Some poo poo

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

Treat anybody with deep knowledge of bash the same way you treat a person with deep knowledge of what cleaning products are best at removing what bodily fluids from what kinds of surface, for that person has most certainly Seen Some poo poo

or has been the mother of a teenage boy

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
getting walked in while using a linux is probably more embarassing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Brain Candy posted:

ugh, bash is so irritating *warms up a jvm*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ugh, bash is so irritating *warms up a jvm*

it's always hilarious when nerds who haven't even looked at java since 2002 try to lay sick burns on it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

i suffered terribly for this knowledge, it is true

i come from a land of terror and pain to tell you this: friends don't let friends write shell

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sapozhnik posted:

hi

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Bash gives syntax errors at run time.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hmm

i'm gonna take this knowledge and lock it in a mental drawer labeled 'noooope' and actively forget it if that's okay

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

it's always hilarious when nerds who haven't even looked at java since 2002 try to lay sick burns on it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
real scripters use a directory as a hashmap

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Brain Candy posted:

hmm

i'm gonna take this knowledge and lock it in a mental drawer labeled 'noooope' and actively forget it if that's okay

This is a good reaction to learning something new about bash. When i find some esoteric syntax feature I've never seen before I usually start with "wow this could be useful", then verbatim repeat this quote.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I forgot about this because they call them associative arrays

tangentially I hate when people say "associative array" instead of hashmap/dictionary, I always need to think for a second what they mean

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

I forgot about this because they call them associative arrays

tangentially I hate when people say "associative array" instead of hashmap/dictionary, I always need to think for a second what they mean

neither hash map or associative array is that good a name, since it states implementation details. just 'map' is my preference (dictionary also seems to suggest strings as keys)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
stop coddling nbsd you weaklings

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
at this point I'm expecting nbsd to be a ruby core developer

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you're not willing to deal with bash's syntax in order to get a task done then maybe it's not worth doing in any language?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gazpacho posted:

if you're not willing to deal with php's syntax in order to get a task done then maybe it's not worth doing in any language?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gazpacho posted:

if you're not willing to deal with %L's syntax in order to get a task done then maybe it's not worth doing in any language?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
bash is documented, php is not