Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

palecur posted:

Best advice I got from this forum was running Eberron with the Marked Houses as cyberpunk corps.

Tbh I see this as kind of an odd fit. Eberron isn't really dystopian enough out of the box to really make that take work without changing some things, and while the Houses have a lot of power they aren't really supplanting the governments of the world the way the quintessential cyberpunk megacorporate entity is.

Eberron isn't really very punk in general imo. It has some elements you could play up if you wanted to go for that angle, the disenfranchisement of warforged and the various "monstrous" races within the Five Nations are the main thing that spring to mind, or maybe if you set a game in Riedra you could do something along those lines although that's much more out-and-out espionage/resistance against a psionic nightmare cult masquerading as a benevolent nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

*clears throat loudly* eberron is khyberpunk

:ghost:

Kai Tave posted:

Tbh I see this as kind of an odd fit. Eberron isn't really dystopian enough out of the box to really make that take work without changing some things, and while the Houses have a lot of power they aren't really supplanting the governments of the world the way the quintessential cyberpunk megacorporate entity is.

They absolutely do - they have complete control over specific areas of commerce, overriding governments, and have significant wealth and political power. You can just ignore the Houses completely in your campaign if you want, but in keeping with Eberron's mashing the 19th century, Wild West, 1920s and Cold War together, textually, the Houses are a mashup of 1920s and cyberpunk corporations.

The setting doesn't have to be particularly dystopian for them to exist as entities that are distinct political/economic international actors from governments, have their own private armies to project force with, and interests that they act on that at best don't align with national interests, and at worse are intrinsically inimical to them (which is what they are, which is why they get compared liked that :v:). Them being cyberpunk-style corporations doesn't require anyone to be *punk, either.

(Eberron being called "dungeonpunk" is another one of those "*punk just means aesthetics" things, sadly.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 4, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It’s not that it’s just an aesthetic. It’s not as if *punk has a monopoly on its themes, it’s a matter of how those themes are implemented.

In Eberron’s case, the trick is that by default every time it can choose between the punk and the pulp presentation on a given theme, it leans towards the pulp one.

But a DM could pretty easily go the other with it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Eberron is badpunk.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I can see the Houses as burgeoning Megacorps angle, since one of the big things in Eberron is that the fracturing of the Five Nations strengthened the power of the Houses versus the Nations. During the war, none of the nations could really stand up to any given House, as that house would just threaten to cut them off from their vital war services if they did anything funny. After the war, House Scions are openly flouting a lot of the pre-war laws on what Houses are and aren't allowed to do, and basically daring the nations to do something about it. On top of that, most of the houses were happy to work as war profiteers, especailly Cannith and Deneith, the literal "Private Law Enforcement and Mercenary House." They even have their own private representative body in the Twelve where the houses deal with grievances internally, largly cutting out the justice system of the Nations.

So, yeah, I don't think Houses as Megacorps is much of a stretch.

Bringing this back around to TG industry, I wonder if DND would ever do something like a "Historic D&D Settings Primer" book, which had, say, 25 pages on a D&D setting and another 15 pages on setting specific rules. You could package... let's say, Eberron, Birthright, Planescape, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The setting doesn't have to be particularly dystopian for them to exist as entities that are distinct political/economic international actors from governments, have their own private armies to project force with, and interests that they act on that at best don't align with national interests, and at worse are intrinsically inimical to them (which is what they are, which is why they get compared liked that :v:). Them being cyberpunk-style corporations doesn't require anyone to be *punk, either.

Technically, House Deneith is the only dragonmarked house that has a full, open standing army since that's their whole deal is. It was part of the agreements set up after the War of the Mark that no other houses would maintain their own military force. The big issue is that those rules have started being bent by the other houses over the period of the Last War. House Tharashk has started offering up mercenary groups of monstrous humanoids thanks to their ties to Droaam, and a few other houses are quietly but obviously building up forces, too. The houses are also supposed to be slightly distanced from the royal families of the continent of Khorvaire, and if there's any intermarrying then one side is supposed to give up all claim to their family's fortune and political ties, but people are also doing that a lot less. Like a lot of other elements in Eberron, they're clearly right on the precipice of transforming into full-blown international megacorps, and will probably go that way without PC intervention.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

Eberron is badpunk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

I can see the Houses as burgeoning Megacorps angle, since one of the big things in Eberron is that the fracturing of the Five Nations strengthened the power of the Houses versus the Nations. During the war, none of the nations could really stand up to any given House, as that house would just threaten to cut them off from their vital war services if they did anything funny. After the war, House Scions are openly flouting a lot of the pre-war laws on what Houses are and aren't allowed to do, and basically daring the nations to do something about it. On top of that, most of the houses were happy to work as war profiteers, especailly Cannith and Deneith, the literal "Private Law Enforcement and Mercenary House." They even have their own private representative body in the Twelve where the houses deal with grievances internally, largly cutting out the justice system of the Nations.

So, yeah, I don't think Houses as Megacorps is much of a stretch.

Bringing this back around to TG industry, I wonder if DND would ever do something like a "Historic D&D Settings Primer" book, which had, say, 25 pages on a D&D setting and another 15 pages on setting specific rules. You could package... let's say, Eberron, Birthright, Planescape, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Technically, House Deneith is the only dragonmarked house that has a full, open standing army since that's their whole deal is. It was part of the agreements set up after the War of the Mark that no other houses would maintain their own military force. The big issue is that those rules have started being bent by the other houses over the period of the Last War. House Tharashk has started offering up mercenary groups of monstrous humanoids thanks to their ties to Droaam, and a few other houses are quietly but obviously building up forces, too. The houses are also supposed to be slightly distanced from the royal families of the continent of Khorvaire, and if there's any intermarrying then one side is supposed to give up all claim to their family's fortune and political ties, but people are also doing that a lot less. Like a lot of other elements in Eberron, they're clearly right on the precipice of transforming into full-blown international megacorps, and will probably go that way without PC intervention.

Cat putting down newspaper: I should run Eberron.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
D&D is absolutely the wrong system to run it in, but someone should do an Eberron campaign where the PCs work as prosecutors and investigators for the Thronehold Tribunal and are tasked with proving breaches of the Treaty by the Houses.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
What about gumshoe?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Kwyndig posted:

It describes, maybe, the first disc. After a while the aesthetic goes out the window and it's just normal Final Fantasy gobbledygook.

You think so? To me dieselpunk also describes the fact that you leave the city and go hang out on some farmland where there are still trucks and cell phones but you can see disparity expressed in how different it all is away from the city. It reminds me of living in the inner city as a child and then leaving America to go visit my a family in third world country.

Edit: granted before this thread I've only heard it used to describe Final Fantasy VII so I probably just don't really know what dieselpunk is.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 4, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If not GUMSHOE, the upcoming Ars Magica game based on GUMSHOE.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JesterOfAmerica posted:

What about gumshoe?

I would kill a man for a Dungeon Fantasy hack of GUMSHOE

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would kill a man for a Dungeon Fantasy hack of GUMSHOE

I’d help you dispose of the body.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Kevin Kulp and Emily Dresner are also working on a fantasy GUMSHOE game: "Swords of the Serpentine, a fantasy game of city-based intrigue and corruption." Due in 2019.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Pardon??????

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Plutonis posted:

Pardon??????

I think it's called Tales of the Quaesitores, or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

You are not good enough for Pop Team Epic. Get your hands off.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

You are not good enough for Pop Team Epic. Get your hands off.

凸o3o凸

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it's called Tales of the Quaesitores, or something.

Thank you. So glad that line is still getting cool new stuff.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I’d help you dispose of the body.

I can make the wiki!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Thanlis posted:

Kevin Kulp and Emily Dresner are also working on a fantasy GUMSHOE game: "Swords of the Serpentine, a fantasy game of city-based intrigue and corruption." Due in 2019.

Do we know anything more about this?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
So Paizo just announced Pathfinder 2.0.

Let's see if they get the same backlash they created towards WotC for this one.

Edit: At least some portion of their fanbase seems very worried about whether their unplayed hoard of 3.51 D&D materials will be compatible with 3.52.
"We are holding you to this. I personally choose Paizo over WotC because 3.0/3.5 wasn't compatible with 4th ... and 5th wasn't compatible with either. Don't be like WotC!!"
"All those books I have will be pointless with another new combat system, another magic system, another over engineered, over thought, over fan serviced system. Thanks, another few hundred dollars down the drain."
"Great... now all the stuff I already have is obsolete."

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 7, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

So Paizo just announced Pathfinder 2.0.

Let's see if they get the same backlash they created towards WotC for this one.

Edit: At least some portion of their fanbase seems very worried about whether their unplayed hoard of 3.51 D&D materials will be compatible with 3.52.
"We are holding you to this. I personally choose Paizo over WotC because 3.0/3.5 wasn't compatible with 4th ... and 5th wasn't compatible with either. Don't be like WotC!!"
"All those books I have will be pointless with another new combat system, another magic system, another over engineered, over thought, over fan serviced system. Thanks, another few hundred dollars down the drain."
"Great... now all the stuff I already have is obsolete."
Please post more of these. They are delicious.

Also its basically "Paizo cribs off of 5e this time, lol"

http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo5lkl9?First-Look-at-the-Pathfinder-Playtest

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
At the risk of this thread becoming Grognards.txt

"I just bought everything for this game...including hardcover copies of campaigns like Rise of the Runelords.... the only question I want answered is: is 1st edition still compatible? And i dont mean "it kinda works but you have to do A B and C..." I mean fully compatible. Or did I just waste all my money a year early? My main reason for buying pathfinder over DnD was because the game would never change...."

"You said when you announced Starfinder that you weren't planning on doing this, care to comment on whether this was a 180 or whether this was planned all along and you couldn't let on yet?"

Edit: I'm pulling these from Paizo's Facebook post.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 7, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh god they are going to roll back any hint of innovation because it's a game by grog, for grog

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
They're selling hardcover and deluxe hardcover versions of the playtest rules

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Sampatrick posted:

They're selling hardcover and deluxe hardcover versions of the playtest rules

They did this for 1e as well, IIRC. FFG did something similar for the Star Wars games too. Like Early Access on Steam, except you have to buy the final version of the game separately, and they probably won't listen to any of your feedback.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
We can't wait until you find your first +1 longsword to see what it can do! is possibly the saddest, most D&D-as-Cargo-Cult line I've ever read from Paizo.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Paizo have a huge, loyal fanbase, and they've worked out the best way to monetise that is to exploit them as cynically as possible.

A part of me is kind of jealous of how easily they can make bank on this stuff, but I also figure that if I was in a position to do what they do I just wouldn't do it so I still wouldn't be making the fat stacks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm wishing I could go back and find all the posts of people telling me pathfinder 2e would never happen.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice
(someone responding the the FAQ comment about trying to balance Martial and Casters)
"Martial/Caster disparity has always been theory-crafting nonsense which ignored the actual play experience in which a mixed team of heroes works together. When a wizard summons a monster to give flanking for the rogue's sneak attack or casts bull's strength to enhance the fighter or uses a wall to divide the enemy or brings the barbarian back from the brink with breath of life, that's Pathfinder."

AKA "When a wizard lets you use your class features, or lets you keep playing the game, that's Pathfinder"

------------

"Along with another poster above, this was why I left D&D too. Edition changes bringing TOO drastic of a change. And I'm not liking any of this at all, it's too unfamiliar and too simplified and too...different.

Well, I am going to pass on this. I'm not liking what I am reading, it's becoming too much like 5th Edition D&D and Star Wars Saga and everything else that's getting too "streamlined" and "easy" and all it really does is dumb down and make less options in a game. Also makes transitions really hard. Really hard.

I jumped onto Pathfinder because it was easy to convert 3.5 material to PF system, but now I'm supposed to make a 2nd jump? And I can't even enjoy new goodies from Pathfinder 2nd Edition because it appears that while PF 1e can be converted to 2e, it doesn't seem like Pathfinder 2e can be converted to PF 1e.

Therein lies my problem. (Doubt it is anyone else's, but it could be)

Were I able to, say, purchase a 2e PF product but find that it wouldn't be easy to switch it to a 1E PF ruleset, then you lost a customer.

But when you make things like "10th Level" spells, for example, you're adding a dimension to the game that really shouldn't be there and making backwards compatibility too much work to bother with.

Edition changes are more harmful, I believe, than good because it separates communities and sadly this is where I part ways with keeping up with PF anymore and just stick to its roots in 1e."

Talking about Star Wars Saga Edition in 2018. Paizo sure knows how to build a bunker that shields people from any outside RPGs.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 7, 2018

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I still don't understand why it's hard for people to understand that an edition change doesn't mean your old books suddenly cease to exist.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Paizo got out from under Pathfinder Online, which is ironic after the fury we've see over other failed kickstarters. And they're still trying to get new subscribers!

For some reason, there are plenty of people that think that's okay. They'll be fine.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

senrath posted:

I still don't understand why it's hard for people to understand that an edition change doesn't mean your old books suddenly cease to exist.

It means the eternal splatbook treadmill stops, which they consider the death of the game, and they have a murderer to point to that isn't called "the free market."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One poster was in a tizzy about possibly losing skill points for... say it with me in hushed tones... specialties. It is not to be countenanced.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If nobody buys 2e, Paizo will evergreen 1e. It is exactly the free market.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

We can't wait until you find your first +1 longsword to see what it can do! is possibly the saddest, most D&D-as-Cargo-Cult line I've ever read from Paizo.
I already know what it does: Hit things 5% more often and for one more of the smallest amount of damage the system supports.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Ettin please reopen grogstxt but only for sweet, sweet Paizo fan tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Daeren posted:

It means the eternal splatbook treadmill stops, which they consider the death of the game, and they have a murderer to point to that isn't called "the free market."

I remember people complaining about the loss of AD&D 2e support. Which, I mean. If you've read and run everything AD&D 2e has to offer, bravo. Granted, you'd probably have to be an independently wealthy robot to manage it, which may be more amazing.