Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Phlegmish posted:

No one actually played ToEE, right? Even online it's surprisingly difficult to find useful information.

I beat it like 5 times, the beginning is the most fun, after you hit level 6 or something it becomes really easy. The AI is not at all aware of attacks of opportunity and is just bad in general except in the early set piece battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So it seems i've made a mistake being the thief of the group in my brother and i's run through BG 1 and 2, since both games throw so many drat thiefs at you and especially BG2 right from the start.

As funny as the FMA thing we got going on is, i feel kinda useless outside of failing to find and disarm traps at 100 find traps and the occasional backstab :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So it seems i've made a mistake being the thief of the group in my brother and i's run through BG 1 and 2, since both games throw so many drat thiefs at you and especially BG2 right from the start.

As funny as the FMA thing we got going on is, i feel kinda useless outside of failing to find and disarm traps at 100 find traps and the occasional backstab :(

like pure thief? you should consider maybe not doing that, pure thief is pretty lackluster until TOB and even then there's nothing a thief multiclass wouldn't also get

consider shadowkeepering to thief/mage or illusionist/thief for ultimate chaos

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yes,pure thief. I was in a thiefy kinda mode when we first started playing and didn't know enough about AD&D to want to mess with a multiclass of any kind. Kinda regretting that now

Don't have Shadowkeeper atm but i guess that's an option? I'd rather just finish out the game how i started though.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Thief stuff:

EE made set snare for thieves really awesome since they have a pretty good AoE now.

Your ability to go into stealth is based on not having any enemies in your thief's vision. You can duck around corners to restealth and backstab. You can also just have a friendly mage blind you but that's kinda exploity. Since you're playing your own character in multi just grab some boots of speed and dart around corners so you can shove backstabs into people every chance you get. They're REALLY strong.

EE also changed pickpocket to have a minimum skill requirement to even have a chance of success. Algernon is like 50 and Drizzt is 95 (?) I think. Detect Illusions is also really good versus mages and you can use it while in combat but it's fiddly (attack an enemy and then press F4.) This makes every thief skill useful to put points into, so multiple thieves in the party can spread out their skill points and contribute.

Finding traps is the worst part of being a thief since it only pulses once each round and you're more likely to wander into a trap than actually detect it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Washout posted:

I beat it like 5 times, the beginning is the most fun, after you hit level 6 or something it becomes really easy. The AI is not at all aware of attacks of opportunity and is just bad in general except in the early set piece battles.

I don't know about that, I thought the beginning was kind of boring, especially the endless courier quests in Hommlet. Incidentally, all of them put together didn't even provide enough xp to reach level 2, so I regret doing them at all.

The game is not that hard regardless of level, but sometimes the sheer number of enemies can give you pause. I've found Fireball to be an effective method of crowd control, as always in these games. Getting the feat that allows multiple Attacks of Opportunity is also useful, as you said, the AI doesn't try to avoid provoking them.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you rolled human then dual to mage at like level 6, whenever you get close enough to like 95 open locks and find traps.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yes,pure thief. I was in a thiefy kinda mode when we first started playing and didn't know enough about AD&D to want to mess with a multiclass of any kind. Kinda regretting that now

If you're a human and not too high level already, strongly consider dual-classing to mage or fighter.

Otherwise, learn to love setting traps because it's about the only fun thing a single-class thief can do.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Your ability to go into stealth is based on not having any enemies in your thief's vision. You can duck around corners to restealth and backstab. You can also just have a friendly mage blind you but that's kinda exploity. Since you're playing your own character in multi just grab some boots of speed and dart around corners so you can shove backstabs into people every chance you get. They're REALLY strong.

This is good advice. Start the fight with a backstab, retreat, hide, repeat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phlegmish posted:

Greater Dispel Magic did the trick. He only had one Stoneskin spell left after that, and I quickly broke it down. My party (buffed with Bless, Prayer and Haste) managed to clear the room with minimal losses.

I grinded to level 12 after that, finally got Cleave on my two frontline fighters, and now I'm ready to try the Hedrack fight again.

You beat Hedrack yet.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey Infinity thread I'm gonna be streaming my continued SA Ironman Challenge run of BG1 in 5min. Please come mock me while I badly play a game I haven't touched in years.

https://www.twitch.tv/griddead

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Gridlocked posted:

Hey Infinity thread I'm gonna be streaming my continued SA Ironman Challenge run of BG1 in 5min. Please come mock me while I badly play a game I haven't touched in years.

I noticed in one of your videos that you said there is no party loot, the new BG has a red gem thingy that is a universal loot button.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

You beat Hedrack yet.

Haven't had the time yet, will probably try tonight.

My strategy will be to focus down Hedrack in the first round, before he gets the chance to summon Iuz. I don't think that's too cheesy, I actually did it on my first try, without even knowing Iuz was supposed to show up. It's not that difficult either, he's standing right there when you enter the room and all my guys have high Dexterity + Improved Initiative. My rogue has +12 Initiative in total.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
So how do you install 1.13 on Jagged Alliance on Steam? All the webpages seem to be pre-windows 10.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

And we're at the Ironman challenge again.

Washout posted:

I noticed in one of your videos that you said there is no party loot, the new BG has a red gem thingy that is a universal loot button.

WizardStyles helped me with that :) It's been really good.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

And we're at the Ironman challenge again.

WizardStyles helped me with that :) It's been really good.

For all the weird hate and dumb controversy that Beamdog seem to stumble into with each title they Enhance, they will be forever justified and eventually vindicated for implementing the mass loot button.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Oh my loving god I am only just now learning about the mass loot button. This actually and literally changes a lot.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Oh my loving god I am only just now learning about the mass loot button. This actually and literally changes a lot.

Any time someone criticizes the enhanced editions for changing something I remember the mass loot button and tell them to gently caress off.

There is 0 chance I would have finished any of the ie games otherwise.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I dont use it, hah

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Are there people criticizing Beamdog, what the gently caress. I hope they enhance Icewind Dale II after miraculously finding the source code, and Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil too, for good measure (if they somehow acquire the rights). Maybe Divine Divinity, I don't really remember if it needs it.

Their own content might not be that great, but it's pretty easy to ignore.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't necessarily criticize the EEs as a concept, but I stopped my BGs from updating with version 1.3.2053/2064 and believe I've hit a decent enough spot :colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rappaport posted:

I don't necessarily criticize the EEs as a concept, but I stopped my BGs from updating with version 1.3.2053/2064 and believe I've hit a decent enough spot :colbert:

Poe's law. I legitimately can't tell.

I'm over 57 hours into my first ever IWD run. I'm in the lower Dorn Keep now so pretty close to endgame I think. I can see why my party (thief/illusionist, barbarian, totemic druid, dragon disciple, archer, skjald) might be considered over-powered. Four of them can cast AOE spells, two can do priest stuff. The ranged weapons are nasty. I usually only have to send in the barbarian to mop up or with bigger enemies.
The most difficult fight was still the priestesses in Dragon's Eye. Everything after that was pretty simple.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I've never played an infinity engine game, but I have played NWN/NWN2/PoE and lots of other crpgs and I know D&D pretty well. I'm about 25 hours into my first play of Baldur's Gate 2 EE as a Berserker/Cleric. I dualed into Cleric at level 9 and now I'm 10 Cleric / 9 Berserker and I do pretty good dual wielding that lightning warhammer + a sleep mace. I'm using Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimoto, Aerie, Heir'Dal and myself which means we have assloads of level 4-5 Cleric spells and level a level 5 arcane spellcaster, plus a bard.

My current problem is I'm doing the mission with Heir'Dal where you have to follow his troupe of actors into a planar prison to free them from some monster that has been hunting them. When you get there you're confronted by a big team of bounty hunters who are pretty badass. One of them teleports directly behind Aerie every time and does like 25 damage, knocking her down to like near death every time. He also seems to haste and go invisible sporadically. I can deal with him and keep Aerie up but they also have a Yuan'Ti mage that I cannot seem to kill. I use Free Action / Chaotic Command on my big hitters so they don't get confused or rooted, but he uses some kind of magical sphere spell that makes him immune to damage, then uses Finger of Death on someone (usually Yoshimoto) and they fail their save and die.

I had the same problem with the team of dudes who demand oyu pay them a toll in the sewers . I could kill all of em but the mage who would then status effect people or some kind of sanctuary spell on themselves and then wipe us out one by one.

How do I deal with mages? I tried bum rushing him with my fighters but he just teleports away and then comes back again to shield himself. I can't bring summoned stuff in and I dont have time to summon a fire elemental or anything with Aerie to hopefully draw the attention of one of the other heavy hitting NPCs. I feel like this is something I'm gonna need to know in general to get much further

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Cast True sight on your cleric + dispel image and breach the mage. Repeat if necessary

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sanctuary for Aerie means you don't have to deal with her almost dying immediately, you're having problems with a caster and while Jaheira is too low level for the "oh god, not the bees, not the bees" I think there's a third level version of it that works about half the time.

Have Haer Daelis cast dispel magic maybe, the way leveling works means bards usually are the best person to cast that spell.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah those are some tough-ish early game fights.

Does Jaheira have Summon Insects? Use it on Mages.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Yeah those are some tough-ish early game fights.

Does Jaheira have Summon Insects? Use it on Mages.

Dyna Soar posted:

Cast True sight on your cleric + dispel image and breach the mage. Repeat if necessary

I don't have Breach or Dispel Image. I have Dispel Magic and a few spells like Hold Person, Rigid Thought, and one that reduces casting success by 80%...I can't remember its name but it looks a lot like the dispel magic icon.

Skwirl posted:

Sanctuary for Aerie means you don't have to deal with her almost dying immediately, you're having problems with a caster and while Jaheira is too low level for the "oh god, not the bees, not the bees" I think there's a third level version of it that works about half the time.

Have Haer Daelis cast dispel magic maybe, the way leveling works means bards usually are the best person to cast that spell.

So dispel magic will break status effects or can I use it to bust up the NPCs shield? That's the combat version you target an enemy with as opposed to the one you hit a teammate with? I hadn't thought to Sanctuary Aerie...can she still summon when sanctuaried or is it beneficial casts only?

I do have Insect Swarm with Jaheira which has a 50% chance I think, I'll give that a try.

ed: I'm thinking of Miscast Magic which I suppose would combine well with teh Insect Swarm and Dispel which is apparently AoE

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

I don't have Breach or Dispel Image. I have Dispel Magic and a few spells like Hold Person, Rigid Thought, and one that reduces casting success by 80%...I can't remember its name but it looks a lot like the dispel magic icon.

So dispel magic will break status effects or can I use it to bust up the NPCs shield? That's the combat version you target an enemy with as opposed to the one you hit a teammate with? I hadn't thought to Sanctuary Aerie...can she still summon when sanctuaried or is it beneficial casts only?

I do have Insect Swarm with Jaheira which has a 50% chance I think, I'll give that a try.

ed: I'm thinking of Miscast Magic which I suppose would combine well with teh Insect Swarm and Dispel which is apparently AoE

Dispel magic dispels everything if it works, whether or not it works is determined by relative levels of the casters, bards gain levels faster so that's why it works better when a bard casts it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Haven't had the time yet, will probably try tonight.

My strategy will be to focus down Hedrack in the first round, before he gets the chance to summon Iuz. I don't think that's too cheesy, I actually did it on my first try, without even knowing Iuz was supposed to show up. It's not that difficult either, he's standing right there when you enter the room and all my guys have high Dexterity + Improved Initiative. My rogue has +12 Initiative in total.

He should change his name to Hedrekt because I just wrecked him, hard. He went down in the first round and after that it was pretty easy. It's amazing what a difference a single level can make.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Dispel magic dispels everything if it works, whether or not it works is determined by relative levels of the casters, bards gain levels faster so that's why it works better when a bard casts it.

Word

I won the fight (somehow, I think I just got really lucky) and then I found a pair of boots that double your speed. With those and haste my warrior zips around the map, this game owns.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Frog Act posted:

How do I deal with mages? I tried bum rushing him with my fighters but he just teleports away and then comes back again to shield himself. I can't bring summoned stuff in and I dont have time to summon a fire elemental or anything with Aerie to hopefully draw the attention of one of the other heavy hitting NPCs. I feel like this is something I'm gonna need to know in general to get much further

Take everyone in hasted, and aerie in with stoneskin on so she won't get one-shot, then toss out as many magic missiles as youve got (I guess haerdalis and aerie?) as soon as you can. Magic missiles is great for interrupting spells and it goes through stoneskin. The stoneskin is what's letting him get off his dimension door spell.

Dispel magic (cleric version or mage version) will get rid of the stoneskins too but it's a coin toss as to whether it'll work - breach is sure to take it down so you could always go buy some scrolls.

Failing that though, Spook, Horror etc still work fairly consistently around that level too, probably more consistent than dispel magic.

E: nvm, beaten like you beat the fight, congrats^

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Word

I won the fight (somehow, I think I just got really lucky) and then I found a pair of boots that double your speed. With those and haste my warrior zips around the map, this game owns.

Get breach for everyone who can cast it as soon as you can, it's going to be a huge crutch going forward.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Get breach for everyone who can cast it as soon as you can, it's going to be a huge crutch going forward.

Breach appears primarily in the Planar Sphere (Valygar's quest chain) in Chapter 2, fyi.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There are two spells you always want to have memorised to ensure a smooth BG2 experience: Breach and Improved Haste. Everything else is nice but not strictly necessary.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

There are two spells you always want to have memorised to ensure a smooth BG2 experience: Breach and Improved Haste. Everything else is nice but not strictly necessary.

You've gotta know this is a contentious statement~

If I had to play big with only two spells I doubt I'd take imp haste. Breach... Probably

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm open to suggestions. :)

Though I should clarify that I was talking about Arcane spells. I certainly wouldn't leave home without Chaotic Commands if I can help it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I've been using Chaotic Commands and Remove Fear constantly, especially when i realized they were both AOEs and not something I need five casts of for my party. What about stuff like Slay Living that has a chance to just outright kill an enemy? Is it worth keeping those around or should I just use slots like that for heavy duty healing spells?

And vis-a-vis arcane spells and Aerie, I've read a lot of stuff that seems to endorse summoning things instead of stacking up direct damage spells, but I'm not sure which way to go. Like should I use my high level spell slot for cone of cold or summon elemental? the elemental is dope but the cone does incredible damage

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The good old Lower Resist/Malison/Insert-spell-here-that-would-ordinarily-never-get-past-someone's-saving-throw-but-now-it-does is wonderful. See that Adamantite Golem? Now he's a squirrel.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

The good old Lower Resist/Malison/Insert-spell-here-that-would-ordinarily-never-get-past-someone's-saving-throw-but-now-it-does is wonderful. See that Adamantite Golem? Now he's a squirrel.

Chromatic Orb is my go-to as long as the caster isn't in the level range where it petrifies, destroying the loot and the xp gain.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I've been using Chaotic Commands and Remove Fear constantly, especially when i realized they were both AOEs and not something I need five casts of for my party. What about stuff like Slay Living that has a chance to just outright kill an enemy? Is it worth keeping those around or should I just use slots like that for heavy duty healing spells?

And vis-a-vis arcane spells and Aerie, I've read a lot of stuff that seems to endorse summoning things instead of stacking up direct damage spells, but I'm not sure which way to go. Like should I use my high level spell slot for cone of cold or summon elemental? the elemental is dope but the cone does incredible damage

The only worthwhile summons imo are the skeletons (level 3 cleric), the druid level 6 spells (both bears and fire elementals, it's situational), Mordenkainens Sword (level 7 mage, immune to all physical damage so makes an amazing tank in most situations), and summon planetar once you get HLAs (planetars are seriously so OP, a single one could pretty easily solo SoA).

For Aerie's level five mage spells you'll probably want all your slots full of stoneskin and breach, with any leftover slots for Spell Immunity (for lich fights) and Chaos (this is the go-to group disable at level 10-15).

Though to be honest if you're enjoying using her as a damage dealer then by all means stack up her level 5 slots with cone of cold. There's not really a wrong way to do it. Though imo the better AoE damage spells imo are skull trap (mage level 3 - once you're past level 10 this does more damage than fireball), the cleric level 3(I think?) one that does AoE damage to everyone of evil alignment, and Magic Missiles for single target damage.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Dont forget cloudkill. Web + stinking cloud + cloudkill = win for most fights where you can pull it off without hitting your party