Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I used these, with some thinner from the same brand, on the plastic models from the Dark Imperium set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Suggestion 1: shake the hell out of acrylic paints, especially primers.

Suggestion 2: airbrushed layers of paint can be extremely thin, and therefore fragile. Be careful handling them before varnishing.

Feel free to share some pics of your process, and the results!

Edit: I have been really impressed with the Mig products I own. Try to find brand specific tutorials on YouTube, perhaps?

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 4, 2018

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Also note that just because the paint is dry to the touch does not mean the paint is completely dried and has reached it final strength. In my experience this goes doubly for the Vallejo primers and anything using their airbrush thinner. I suspect it would be similar for AK stuff.

My general rule of thumb is that i try to give airbrushed stuff 24 hours or until it doesn't smell of airbrush thinner anymore before i do anything but the most careful handling.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If the primer itself is rubbing off down to bare plastic, you either haven't used enough or the brand is not very good. I had this problem with Badger stynylrez until I realized I was just not layering enough on there and now it is nearly bullet proof.

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

What are people using these days to hold their Miniatures? BlueTac and old medicine/old paint bottles?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The citadel buttplug Miniature Holder appears to be really well liked. To the point where it's always been sold out whenever I've tried to order one.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I tend to rely on the old cork-and-bluetac method, largely because A) I live not far from American Science & Surplus, who always have plus-sized corks, and B) the Citadel Pear of Anguish is never in stock in the local GW stores either. For group priming, I've found myself leaning on free wooden paint stirring sticks from the hardware stores, holding a row of minis in place with bluetac. (Once I was priming a row of minis with solid bases, which I glued in place with wood glue. Never do this.)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Groetgaffel posted:

The citadel buttplug Miniature Holder appears to be really well liked. To the point where it's always been sold out whenever I've tried to order one.

It's good but not great. I still prefer using an empty pill bottle with some loose change in it, and the mini stuck to the top with poster tack. I can keep multiple painting projects on those holders ready to go whenever. Corks are good too but a little small for my hands.

The buttplug is useful for heavier minis but almost everything I paint is plastic.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Main downside of the pear of anguish is that it grabs the edge of the base. I like to paint my base rim at the end of painting the model but before the varnish.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Daemonqueller posted:

What are people using these days to hold their Miniatures? BlueTac and old medicine/old paint bottles?

These are rad: https://www.pk-pro.de/Miniature-Holders-Grips-V3 (I have the v2).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daemonqueller posted:

I put steel washers in the base of my miniatures for storage and transports, but also because it means I can take a piece of cork with magnetic sheeting glued to it and use it as a mounting point. I used to use BlueTac but the stuff I had went bad (it was probably a decade old) and would stick to everything.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did some terrain today.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I was looking at these, but I have no idea what it cost to get one in the US. Seems like I could just make something similar for what it would be.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 5, 2018

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Funzo posted:

I was looking at these, but I have no idea what it cost to get one in the US. Seems like I could just make something similar for what it would be.

It's like $30 shipping, but I ordered mine with a bunch of other stuff, so it amortizes out.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Vallejo Gloss and Matte Varnish? What is the thread favorite for airbrush

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zuul the Cat posted:

Did some terrain today.

What's the process you used for the crates and barrels? I've got a set I need to get around to painting.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Funzo posted:

I was looking at these, but I have no idea what it cost to get one in the US.

Discount Games Inc is carrying them now in the US.

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

DiscountGamesInc carries the holders (the cork and metal bar to rest your finger on), but not the wooden grips

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What's the process you used for the crates and barrels? I've got a set I need to get around to painting.

Super quick and easy on them. Crates were Caliban Green, Nuln Oil Wash, Warboss Green drybrush, then MIG light rust weathering pigment.

Barrels were Mephiston Red, Nuln Oil, Evil Sunz Scarlet, MIG light rust.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goodness posted:

Vallejo Gloss and Matte Varnish? What is the thread favorite for airbrush

I do straight Liquitex.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I do straight Liquitex.

Thanks, and is gloss varnish before matte necessary? Why would gloss be a stronger varnish

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

goodness posted:

Thanks, and is gloss varnish before matte necessary? Why would gloss be a stronger varnish

I've always heard it that gloss creates more of a shell around the model. It's been my experience that gloss then matte over a metal model is much more chipping resistant than just 2 coats of matte.

For plastic, you probably just need a coat of matte varnish unless you're really going to be abusing them.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Matte varnish works by creating a microscopically rough coat, while gloss varnish does the opposite and tries to make as smooth a surface as possible. As part of doing that, it makes a more durable surface both because it's thicker and because it removes anything that can be snagged to start damage.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Astraeus finished! This was a bit of a slog, I pre-ordered it when it released and built it fairly quickly, but then had it sitting around primed and untouched for a few months. I'm not a fan of the base, its slightly angled so you can rotate it to get a different angle, but I'd really prefer if it was just flat. I threw the biggest magnets I had in there to hold it together, but they're not really quite strong enough. Oh well, its functional enough.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Booley posted:

Astraeus finished! This was a bit of a slog, I pre-ordered it when it released and built it fairly quickly, but then had it sitting around primed and untouched for a few months. I'm not a fan of the base, its slightly angled so you can rotate it to get a different angle, but I'd really prefer if it was just flat. I threw the biggest magnets I had in there to hold it together, but they're not really quite strong enough. Oh well, its functional enough.

Knock it off, you're making my grey plastic marines feel bad.

Seriously though, that's gorgeous.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Along with the other gorgeous stuff (goddamnit Booley) I humbly submit my Eldar fleet as a cross-post.

Throw-back three-days-before-Thursday. I finished my 1,500 Eldar fleet re-paint ahead of Adepticon. Techinically I still need to write the (Tolkien) names on the bases, but it's otherwise done. I have three more boards for display boards that I might run some different styles as well because I'm not completely thrilled with this one, but meh. Still gotta paint 5 bikes and based like 40 dudes for my 40k army so it's bottom priority.

Can't wait to get utterly wrecked by 3-straight rounds of Necrons.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Boon posted:

Along with the other gorgeous stuff (goddamnit Booley) I humbly submit my Eldar fleet as a cross-post.
I'll probably be playing across the aisle from you in the Epic tourney.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Any recommendations for painting skin and faces? I'm really struggling painting them atm. Aare the reaper triads worth getting?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'll probably be playing across the aisle from you in the Epic tourney.

:hfive:

That's one game where I wish I had bought the models when I ahd the chance... then again even then it was hard to find opponents.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Boon posted:

:hfive:

That's one game where I wish I had bought the models when I ahd the chance... then again even then it was hard to find opponents.

Well, like BFG, there is a pretty strong community and plenty of proxies available. Where are you located? I know there are a few groups that have popped up recently.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gilljoy posted:

Any recommendations for painting skin and faces? I'm really struggling painting them atm. Aare the reaper triads worth getting?

I'm slowly getting better at skin and faces and just shared some recipes I've learned earlier if you'll let me copy paste!

Booyah- posted:

I don't know about Vallejo, but I've tried most of the citadel recipes and am by far happiest with kislev flesh and reikland flesh shade. By default I wash then clean up on the surface and that looks good for medium tone. For slightly darker tones I will wash and then shade the recesses directly with more wash. It also mixes well with a brighter white/bone color if you want to highlight it. Compared to others I've tried (bugmans, cadian fleshtone, etc.) I think it's the most natural look.

I also like flayed one flesh with reikland flesh shade but that's for a much paler complexion. Let me get some examples together for you.

e: these are pretty sloppy obviously but here are some tests I did a while ago:

From left to right
1. Bugman's glow with cadian fleshtone. I kind of stopped in the middle with this one.
2. Cadian flesh tone, reikland wash, kislev highlight.
3. Kislev flesh with reikland wash and no touch up
4. Kislev flesh with reikland wash, kislev touch up
5. Flayed one flesh with reikland wash and flayed one touch up

In general I like the kislev flesh + wash + touchup best because the shading is very mild while still capturing depth. When I try to use schemes that build up from a darker base like bugman's glow, it never comes out right and the muscles look all weird.

Faces and eyes I'm not nearly as comfortable with.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

gilljoy posted:

They work pretty well. If you do a search of my posts, I use the triads for most of my faces, so you can get an idea of how they work. I usually add in a wash as well. Often the GW Reikland Flesh Shade, but there are other ones as well. You can also mix your own wash.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Finally finished this guy after putting it off for months. (I may still add the blue glow to the taser lance but I wanted to just get it assembled.)

I've kind of discovered that I hate painting all of the tubing and filigree on these models, not because it looks bad but since I can't be precise I find it really stressful somehow. As I finish my rangers I'll work on easier ways to paint the upper bodies that I don't dislike.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

All I have left is the transfers and weathering on this thing.

Still not sure how much I want to weather it. Debating between minimal on the bottom track edges and beating the hell out of it. After all, it's been decades since the Sisters of Battle got reinforcements :rimshot:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I also finished (kinda) this kit-bash today. It's a Skyrunner Autarch with Fusion Gun, Laser Lance, and Banshee Mask - the gradient becomes hard ot distinguish because I'm an awful model picture taker.

I technically need to do the free-hand detailing on the hood and banners, but it's low priority until my other 4 bikers are finished before Adepticon.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Getting back into 40k painting after years, looking at a parchment/sponge wet palette. How do they work with paints thinned to different consistencies? Does it maintain the thinning, add to it, slowly dry out?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Painting friends, I need advice from airbrush veterans. I'm learning to use my first one (H&S evolution, sparmaxx something compressor with tank) and I can't seem to stop clogging the drat gun. I'll get a few minutes of spraying out of it, then dried poo poo on the needle. What am I doing wrong? I always start with water, then flow improver, then paint
This is a little aggravating :v

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Getting back into 40k painting after years, looking at a parchment/sponge wet palette. How do they work with paints thinned to different consistencies? Does it maintain the thinning, add to it, slowly dry out?

At least with my setup (two layers of paper towel between the sponge and the piece of parchment) it depends on the water level. If there's a lot of water in the container, water will seep in to the paint over time, diluting it slightly. I usually make sure that there's not so much water in the palette that the dilution is noticeable until after several hours/overnight.

Sometimes if I haven't added water to the container for a few days there will be so little that the paint drys out after a few hours, so as soon as this starts happening I add more water.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

Painting friends, I need advice from airbrush veterans. I'm learning to use my first one (H&S evolution, sparmaxx something compressor with tank) and I can't seem to stop clogging the drat gun. I'll get a few minutes of spraying out of it, then dried poo poo on the needle. What am I doing wrong? I always start with water, then flow improver, then paint
This is a little aggravating :v

Try messing around with your pressure settings, and make sure that the flow improver and paint are mixed together pretty well. Are you using airbrush paints or regular paints that are thinned? If it's the latter you'll want to experiment with some changes in consistency until you get it dialed in.

I don't start with water or thinner; I just dump paint and thinner in the cup, mix it up, and then spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I don't use water at all for thinning with my airbrush or I still had dry tip problems. Vallejo flow improver is typically my go. Liquitex airbrush medium or Future if I need even lighter.