Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i did what you did and i like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Nearing the 30 day mark on my Acer XB321HK and I'm on the fence -- I've been having this occasional flicker issue (as described here). If I want to return it, I pretty much have to open a return request with Amazon right now. (Or deal with Acer support. :suicide:) But returning a large monitor is a pain in the rear end and there's not much point doing so unless I have a decent alternative.

Given this brief foray outside of Dell did not go so well, is there a decent, comparable 30" IPS panel from Dell? Ultimately I'd love to just get another U3011 but that's been discontinued.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I got tired of looking for a decent 3440x1440 picture of the B-1B for my desktop and just found four super-huge images and pared/cropped them down myself:

(not perfect 3440x1440, but close enough)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 5, 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I got tired of looking for a decent 3440x1440 picture of the B-1B for my desktop and just found four super-huge images and pared/cropped them down myself:

(not perfect 3440x1440, but close enough)

I am also a big fan of The Bone :greencube:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wandered in a store today that had that samsung 49” 32:9 ultra ultrawide on demo display, holy moly.

The fine detail quality (only 1080 height) and black levels wasn’t too exciting but that width would be really cool in games that support it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

I wandered in a store today that had that samsung 49” 32:9 ultra ultrawide on demo display, holy moly.

The fine detail quality (only 1080 height) and black levels wasn’t too exciting but that width would be really cool in games that support it.

I saw one of them in-box at Micro Center yesterday. The box is deceptively shallow and small, just freakishly long.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I saw one of them in-box at Micro Center yesterday. The box is deceptively shallow and small, just freakishly long.

The monitor itself seemed fairly thick as far as lcd bodies went but yeah it just goes on forever length wise.

It was pretty neat, haven’t had anything in store make me do a double take like that for a while.

It was playing a rally driving game demo and it looked pretty drat cool.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I got tired of looking for a decent 3440x1440 picture of the B-1B for my desktop and just found four super-huge images and pared/cropped them down myself.

I'm having a hard time trying to find 3440x1440 native wallpapers for my Asus PG348Q. I love this screen space, but can't find too many quality wallpapers that hasn't either been modified or stretched out. :(

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
My monitor has a native resolution of 1360x768 but I want to create a custom resolution to 1366x768 so that 3 rows of pixels are cut off either side of the screen. How would I go about doing this?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Want a 1600p monitor with HDMI input and don't want to pay out the rear end for a brand new one. Work with grayscale images, so nothing matters beyond resolution and connectivity. Looks like a used U3011 is pretty much my only option, right?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My freshly-fixed monitor started acting up again this morning, getting little horizontal white lines flickering on the display intermittently. On a whim I decided to switch out the input from HDMI to DisplayPort, and haven't had any problems since. Hopefully it continues behaving.

I'm wondering if the HDMI cable had something to do with it, or maybe the port itself. :shrug:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feelix posted:

Want a 1600p monitor with HDMI input and don't want to pay out the rear end for a brand new one. Work with grayscale images, so nothing matters beyond resolution and connectivity. Looks like a used U3011 is pretty much my only option, right?

Acer XR382CQK/Dell U3818DW?

DizzyBum posted:

My freshly-fixed monitor started acting up again this morning, getting little horizontal white lines flickering on the display intermittently. On a whim I decided to switch out the input from HDMI to DisplayPort, and haven't had any problems since. Hopefully it continues behaving.

I'm wondering if the HDMI cable had something to do with it, or maybe the port itself. :shrug:

Probably the cable, but the only way to find out is to get a replacement and give it a try. Video cables are incredibly fragile, there are a lot of fine wires and they push a lot of bandwidth, though. It's not surprising at all.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 5, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Paul MaudDib posted:

Acer XR382CQK/Dell U3818DW?
Are you joking? I mean, I've heard that this thread has your head up your collective asses, but this is amazing

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Anyway, for anyone who's actually sensible enough to not recommend a $1000 monitor to a person who's asking about a $300 used one:

I suppose I don't actually need whatever I buy to have an HDMI input, do I? I can do 2560 × 1600 at 30hz over a passive HDMI to single link DVI cable. How do I check if the monitor is capable of that? For example, my Qnix was dual link only, so I had no way to hook up my laptop to it through HDMI.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

feelix posted:

Are you joking? I mean, I've heard that this thread has your head up your collective asses, but this is amazing

Not sure what crawled up your rear end, but if you want a new-production 1600p monitor, they are actually one of the cheaper options. Here's PCPartPicker:

(and that UP3017 is refurbished, at that)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 5, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not sure what crawled up your rear end, but if you want a new-production 1600p monitor, they are actually one of the cheaper options. Here's PCPartPicker:

(and that UP3017 is refurbished, at that)

I want to upgrade to the Alienware 34” monitor but I don’t want to pay for it. What can you do for me? Don’t say pay for it.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I kind of get where feelix is coming from, although they were a little harsh. I haven’t had a new monitor in a long time and have been looking for a WQXGA display in the 27-30” range, but it turns out that everyone else in the world primarily uses their machines to play games and watch movies which apparently requires insanely wide-screen displays. I just want something to do actual work on that has a reasonable ratio and isn’t designed for poopsocking with features like curved glass.

Monoprice had a 30” WQXGA display last I checked, but it seems that has been discontinued too.

edit: Oh, the Dell UP3017 looks like it could work. Super weird how certain sizes of Dell monitors are 16:9 but a few are 16:10.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 5, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VulgarandStupid posted:

I want to upgrade to the Alienware 34” monitor but I don’t want to pay for it. What can you do for me? Don’t say pay for it.

Plan A: Cyberstalk+dox redditors who post their build in their flair, follow them home, knock them out and steal their PCs. Duh. Armed home invasion, best home invasion.

Plan B: Find someone who's squeeing about their new monitor and steal the package off their porch while they're at work.

Plan C: Concoct an elaborate hoax about an emergency recall of Dell monitors, and send out prepaid labels to mail them to you.

Plan D: Insurance fraud?

Plan E: if you lose an eye, then even a normal monitor is ultrawide. That's not much of a plan but it's a silver lining!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 5, 2018

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Edit: suggestions for a decent website that has a Buyer's guide are also good.

I need a monitor for work. It needs to be good for Work Stuff such as the internet and Microsoft Office and goofing around on YouTube (perhaps the most important part of Work Stuff).

I need it to not be huge because literally no one has any use for a giant Word document. So maybe 20-22"?

Mostly I need to not be expensive.

Any suggestions?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

feelix posted:

Lmao nice meltdown

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any suggestions?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236757 (assuming your work computer has HDMI out, which it should)

And if you really need for it to be within that 20-22" range: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236205

(seems the first link isn't on sale with a promo code and rebate anymore)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 6, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Is there anyway to have a soft barrier so your mouse meets a bit of resistance in trying to switch monitors? My second monitor is positioned above my first and if I move to change browser tabs it slips up into the second screen.

I'm on windows 10.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Is there anyway to have a soft barrier so your mouse meets a bit of resistance in trying to switch monitors? My second monitor is positioned above my first and if I move to change browser tabs it slips up into the second screen.

I'm on windows 10.

Windows does this by default and it's annoying as gently caress when dragging my windows around

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Probably the cable, but the only way to find out is to get a replacement and give it a try. Video cables are incredibly fragile, there are a lot of fine wires and they push a lot of bandwidth, though. It's not surprising at all.

I have thicker HDMI cables I can test with if I really need. Thankfully the DP cable is doing its job just fine.

I think I got the cheapo HDMI cables from Monoprice when I was in need of some cable management. They're likely just showing their age at this point.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
This is a weird issue I'm having not sure if anyone has the answer. I got the aw3418dw and am using it next to my old 24" ultrasharp (1600x1200). What I want to do is play games on the aw34 full screen with g-sync on and high refresh but also have netflix/movies etc playing in a browser or whatever on the other monitor. I used to be able to do this fine but if g-sync is enabled the video on the ultrasharp plays back all stuttery and choppy. Turning off g-sync is the only option I know of but for obvious reasons I would prefer to leave it on if possible. Anyone know of any other work arounds?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Try setting the refresh rate to match, see if that helps. Not an ideal solution either but that's an older bug that resurfaces from time to time.

Maybe try disabling hardware-accelerated decoding in VLC/MPC and see if that helps?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

particle9 posted:

This is a weird issue I'm having not sure if anyone has the answer. I got the aw3418dw and am using it next to my old 24" ultrasharp (1600x1200). What I want to do is play games on the aw34 full screen with g-sync on and high refresh but also have netflix/movies etc playing in a browser or whatever on the other monitor. I used to be able to do this fine but if g-sync is enabled the video on the ultrasharp plays back all stuttery and choppy. Turning off g-sync is the only option I know of but for obvious reasons I would prefer to leave it on if possible. Anyone know of any other work arounds?

Are you using chrome to play video? If so, try using Firefox instead. Something about playing video in chrome fucks with gsync for me. There's probably some combination of flags that'd fix it but I can't work it out.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Yeah I was using Chrome but I also tried the Netflix windows 10 app and the Plex app. I'll try your suggestion tonight when I get home though. Thanks!

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm setting up a raspberry pi 3 for emulation and I'm on the fence for what to do as far as a screen/display goes...

a) I'm saving to build a new desktop by the end of this year, and I'm considering getting the monitor for that now and using that for the pi until the rest of the machine is ready to be built.

b) Those 1X.X inch monitors they make with the pi in mind are really tempting me, but I'm not trying to set up a portable pi nor is a touch screen really a selling point for me.

c) I've also floated the idea of building an arcade box for the pi and getting it's own monitor to put in the case. Whether this is a standard monitor or one of the ones for the pi is to be decided. If regular sized, I'd have to make a life-size arcade box to have to deal with whenever I moved. If I got the tinier one, I'd make a box that could easily fit on a desk or table-top, and I dunno, paint dragons and flames on the side or something.

Are there any other options I should also consider?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Will playing with black bars impact anything on my monitor besides looking ugly? I'm toying with the idea of UltraWide (again) but Overwatch is my #1 most played game and doesn't support 21:9 so welp.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

particle9 posted:

Win8/Win10 "feature" that MS will not fix. Happens with AMD and Nvidia cards and has never been fixed. The black and stuttery is due to gsync, but even with it off your refresh rate gets messed up when you play a video.

Instead of turning off g-sync you could try lowering the refresh rate to the same as your lowest monitor. At the end of the day, you're getting screwed by not being on win7 with aero disabled.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Current setup: 8600k OCed to 5.0 and a gtx 980. I plan on upgrading the gpu whenever prices stop being stupid which might take awhile.

Budget: $300 - $500 (can't go over $500, would rather not go much more than $400 but if I have to...)

After a bunch of research I've decided that I want:
27"
1440p
144hz (flexible but definitely want to upgrade from my current 60hz)
TN is fine since this is almost exclusively a gaming machine and will be a single monitor setup
I guess G sync if I can swing it?

So any suggestions on what I can afford with these parameters? I'm willing to wait for sales/rebates so is there a "best" site that tracks what you want and alerts you when prices drop? Pcpartpicker is awesome for components but is it just as good for monitors?

Thanks!

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Black Sunshine posted:

Current setup: 8600k OCed to 5.0 and a gtx 980. I plan on upgrading the gpu whenever prices stop being stupid which might take awhile.

Budget: $300 - $500 (can't go over $500, would rather not go much more than $400 but if I have to...)

After a bunch of research I've decided that I want:
27"
1440p
144hz (flexible but definitely want to upgrade from my current 60hz)
TN is fine since this is almost exclusively a gaming machine and will be a single monitor setup
I guess G sync if I can swing it?

So any suggestions on what I can afford with these parameters? I'm willing to wait for sales/rebates so is there a "best" site that tracks what you want and alerts you when prices drop? Pcpartpicker is awesome for components but is it just as good for monitors?

Thanks!

Dell S2716DG. Goes on sale for 400 very frequently, sometimes less. I just got one a few weeks ago and I really like it so far.
I just checked r/buildapcsales daily when I knew I was looking for a new monitor.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 7, 2018

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Canna Happy posted:

Dell S2716DG. Goes on sale for 400 very frequently, sometimes less. I just got one a few weeks ago and I really like it so far.
I just checked r/buildapcsales daily when I knew I was looking for a new monitor.

Jesus sub-$400 is really hard to pass up - I love the Asus version of this but 165hz isn't worth that much of a difference in price.

E; they're both 1ms response too!

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 7, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Jesus sub-$400 is really hard to pass up - I love the Asus version of this but 165hz isn't worth that much of a difference in price.

E; they're both 1ms response too!

Go with the Dell, the TN panel it uses is one of the best on the market, the only real step up from the Dell is one of the monitors with an IPS panel.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Go with the Dell, the TN panel it uses is one of the best on the market, the only real step up from the Dell is one of the monitors with an IPS panel.

Cool, didn't know that. What's causing the large price discrepancy?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm red-green colorblind. Is there going to be any real advantage for me to use an IPS over TN for gaming? Like, I often can't tell if something is purple or blue in real life.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have that dell monitor. Its real nice

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Thanks for the overwhelming recommendations on the Dell. It hits exactly everything I want/need at a nice price. Time to just sit back and wait for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

pthighs posted:

I'm red-green colorblind. Is there going to be any real advantage for me to use an IPS over TN for gaming? Like, I often can't tell if something is purple or blue in real life.

Color transitions are not as good on TN, the image is also somewhat washed out and faded looking compared to an IPS monitor, those things should be noticeable regardless of your perception of colors. My father was red-green color blind and he could certainly notice the the difference between TN and IPS, but the Dell TN is very very good, so while there will be a difference whether that difference is worth spending extra on is up to you.

As a side note, I would not be surprised if we see some sales and such on Gsync monitors over the next few months, we have new models coming out so some retailers will be looking to get rid of old stock and with the shortage in video cards and insane prices I imagine the demand for Gsync monitors has slackened over the past year and will only continue to slacken further until new cards come out and prices become more reasonable.

Well, if prices ever become more reasonable, I am having my doubts and I would not be surprised if we see a new price structure because of mining demand, say X60 cards at $300, X70 at $600, X80 at $900 and X80 Ti at $1200. :sigh: