Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
you guys know that all these terms are defined by two guys who've been doing this for decades, right? like you can argue about your generational headcanon all you want but if you're going to use those terms they have pre-existing definitions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yessss post more lovely wikipedia articles/graphs

can't get enough of 'em nom nom nom

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
isn’t the 4th Turning some discredited fringe theory steve bannon is obsessed with

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

isn’t the 4th Turning some discredited fringe theory steve bannon is obsessed with

Yep

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

haveblue posted:

yeah, timewave zero makes a lot more sense

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pro tip: all theories that purport to explain how people behave en masse, including "baby boomers are greedy" and "millennials are racist", are horseshit

nobody actually knows why anyone does anything and if you'd read the primary sociological sources instead of pop science articles or stymie/fishmech rear end-pulled summaries this would be immediately obvious

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

brap posted:

I don't think a phrase has ever made my head spin as much as "marxist venture capitalist"

i humbly request a name change

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
actually I think you'll see that terrence mckenna has accurately predicted the novelty of the past year quite well

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

you guys know that all these terms are defined by two guys who've been doing this for decades, right? like you can argue about your generational headcanon all you want but if you're going to use those terms they have pre-existing definitions

Cool im a pisces what about you?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

cool startup feel posted:

dom/masc

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

pro tip: all theories that purport to explain how people behave en masse, including "baby boomers are greedy" and "millennials are racist", are horseshit

nobody actually knows why anyone does anything and if you'd read the primary sociological sources instead of pop science articles or stymie/fishmech rear end-pulled summaries this would be immediately obvious

protip: the baby boom was real

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Notch is gonna give Andreessen a run for the most eggy dome

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cool startup feel posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

brap posted:

I don't think a phrase has ever made my head spin as much as "marxist venture capitalist"

i have an in-law with an 8-figure net worth and in one of the closets of his well-furnished midtown manhattan condo is a box of papers from his college years labelled "Marxism"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

protip: the baby boom was real

sure was, but saying "all people born from $year to $year behave like this" is just as stupid as astrology.

the only sociological statement that holds up over time is that most people in any given generation are dumber than average.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

yeah it's all on wikipedia

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

my point is that 'millennial' isn't a cohort anymore, it's just a slur old people use to slag on kids they don't like.

its this

fortunately, babby boomber is a much more degrading and awful term and i love it

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

im tom cruise

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If they were marxists they wouldn't be VCs, dumbass.

Your ideology is meaningless if you don't act on it.

from each according to available investment capital, to each according to pitch deck

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

millennial is the new hipster when referring to those dang youths i hate

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
millenial as a descriptor has about as much integrity as 'mcmansion' and means entirely different things to different people. but yeah its basically just this

PokeJoe posted:

millennial is the new hipster when referring to those dang youths i hate

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i have an in-law with an 8-figure net worth and in one of the closets of his well-furnished midtown manhattan condo is a box of papers from his college years labelled "Marxism"

i assume he keeps them locked away tight right next to his withered, dead soul and sense of emotional reality

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

post your myers briggs itt

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

i wrote "if you understand myers briggs is psudoscientific witchcraft" on my okcupid "message me if"s and got multiple people who reallly, really did not like that!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
S H I T

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

counterpoint: have you ever interacted with a boomer for any amount of time? the stereotypes are absolutely on the nose

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Caganer posted:

i wrote "if you understand myers briggs is psudoscientific witchcraft" on my okcupid "message me if"s and got multiple people who reallly, really did not like that!

lol. i base my personality around a quiz i took online

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

lol. i base my personality around a quiz i took online

same. i'm michael/chidi

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

i had this character creation/development assignment in my college creative writing class and one of the weird nerds in my group suggested that we start with some myers-briggs types and work out from there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they’ll switch over to greek

the alpha generation grew up as internet bullying natives

more like aleph

the transfinite cohort

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Glorgnole posted:

i had this character creation/development assignment in my college creative writing class and one of the weird nerds in my group suggested that we start with some myers-briggs types and work out from there

creative writing might be a problem to which myers-briggs is actually applicable

it all started as psychology fan fiction by a pair of housewives, after all

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Glorgnole posted:

lol what a rube

everyone knows the best character creation system is 4d6 drop the lowest for all six characteristics :rolleye:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
my god are you fuckers still on about millennials

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
loving millennials, everything is about them

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
loving millennials is good and cool :c00l:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/trillotto/status/969978764871569408

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

4. how old are you?

5. have you accepted jesus christ as your lord and savior?

6. do you ever plan on having children?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
we'll be talking about self-obsessed boomers decades after they're all dead, bc millennials can't stop complaining about them. boomers get the last laugh from beyond the grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah the boomers really pulled one over on ol america. instead of pulling the ladder up, they're just gonna be buried with it