Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
not enough pouches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Im anti bbq now

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Volkerball posted:

Democracy is only good if it elects people we like, eh?

svenkatesh posted:

Is this a serious question? The answer is yes. What's the point of having democracy if the elected government's first step is going to be constitutional reforms that lead to absolute power (ala Egypt, after Morsi was elected), which inevitably is followed by persecuting minorities?

A secular strongman > democratically elected Islamist populist, any day of the week.

svenkatesh posted:

I'm not going to engage in counterfactuals because neither of us knows how Morsi's rule would've played out. If I had to throw wild guesses out (which I really don't want to do) he would've persecuted the Copts and installed himself as dictator for life after his democratic term ended. At that point, he would've dealt with protesters the same way every other Egyptian authoritarian has (that is, disappearances, torture, massacres).

I'm not sure why you characterize Morsi's constitutional fuckery to be a 'flailing attempt.' It makes the Muslim Brotherhood sound incompetent. If we accept your characterization (which, to be clear, I don't), would it be a good idea to have an incompetent government leading a pivotal Arab nation? Especially one that borders Israel? One that has a huge problem with terrorism in the Sinai?

svenkatesh posted:

Also, I'm not a fascist. Democracy works when a society's ideals and culture embrace liberalism (in the classical sense) and freedom.

Unfortunately, for much of the third world, that is not the case.

is this a bit lame? i found it incredibly funny is all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/W_M_B_C_H/status/969068565830799360

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lollontee posted:

is this a bit lame? i found it incredibly funny is all
idk if it's kosher to post quotes from d&d here, regardless of how dumb they are (and these are very dumb)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

svenkatesh posted:

Agreed -- the European, and later American, genocide of the natives is not cool. Too bad I wasn't alive then, and SomethingAwful didn't exist back then either.

Re: the British. It took 2 centuries between the time that the English Parliament was formed and the passage of the Magna Carta. The Magna Carta was demanded by the people.

The only thing the citizenry in Syria and Egypt demand is an Islamist government that would persecute religious and ethnic minorities.

these are pipin hot tho

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
bunch of 13th century English aristocrats spinning in their graves because some dork is lumping them in with hoi polloi

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/vicenews/status/970630618940833793?s=19

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I don't think praying is what pedophiles are gonna do if they're already on top of the underage girls.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol was it deleted already?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What was it? Vice going for those Brass Eye dollars?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

"Facebook asks: Should facebook allow pedophiles to contact children for sex" or something like that

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Looked it up, it was "Facebook asks: Should we allow pedophiles to pray on underage girls for sex pics" - though they've now updated the headline to prey.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you didn’t see the story already: Facebook is trying to crowdsource its own community guidelines, so it gave a bunch of people a survey that outlined: “A middle-aged man uses Facebook to contact a 14-year-old girl and ask her for pictures of herself. Should that be a violation of Facebook rules?” and I’m not making that up

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pirate Radar posted:

If you didn’t see the story already: Facebook is trying to crowdsource its own community guidelines, so it gave a bunch of people a survey that outlined: “A middle-aged man uses Facebook to contact a 14-year-old girl and ask her for pictures of herself. Should that be a violation of Facebook rules?” and I’m not making that up
I can see a glimmer of a reasonable idea behind "let's crowdsource community guidelines" but only for, you know, things that are actually ambiguous, holy loving poo poo :eyepop:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can see a glimmer of a reasonable idea behind "let's crowdsource community guidelines" but only for, you know, things that are actually ambiguous, holy loving poo poo :eyepop:

Western society just makes a lot more sense when you accept that it's built around allowing men with power to get away with pedophilia

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/970693103916077057

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/970696067573518336

Jose has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Mar 5, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

He's clearly just trying to say that Hollywood still has a major issue with rape, and sexual assault in general, it just didn't come out right.

I don't see the problem? They're just preventing journalists from making the embarrassing assumption that a conference on free speech and freedom of the press would be pro-either.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/asteadwesley/status/970682166937030657?s=21

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

apparently some people got hit by a car in NYC today, and because this is the only important place we're seeing a lot of takes like this:

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/970810151442763776

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

he’s not wrong

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Troy Queef posted:

apparently some people got hit by a car in NYC today, and because this is the only important place we're seeing a lot of takes like this:

I don't disagree

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Troy Queef posted:

Ah yes the liberal solution to everything, ban it.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Ah yes the liberal solution to everything, ban it.

did you mean to post this on your nro account

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Troy Queef posted:

Hes right

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

Hes right

The difference being America is designed around having cars and banning them would leave a bunch of people literally stranded with no way to get to work or the store or anything they might need to do, of course

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The difference being America is designed around having cars and banning them would leave a bunch of people literally stranded with no way to get to work or the store or anything they might need to do, of course

You don't need a car in New York so clearly you don't need one anywhere else

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

You don't need a car in New York so clearly you don't need one anywhere else

I know you're doing a bit but as someone from.upstate it chaps my rear end bad when people who live in places with good public transportation, especially the city, talk about how you can just take the bus

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's a guy in that thread going "just ride a bike" and I want him to ride a bike when theres two feet of snow and shits barely plowed and you have to be at work

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

There are still huge chunks of the US where roads become gravel or dirt when you get more than 2 miles from a city or interstate

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There's a guy in that thread going "just ride a bike" and I want him to ride a bike when theres two feet of snow and shits barely plowed and you have to be at work

don't go to work, you fool!

gently caress the bossman

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

don't go to work, you fool!

gently caress the bossman

I like having a roof over my head, and food in my belly

Altho I do spend a large portion of my day thinking about the absolute pointlessness of work and how much better things would be if we didn't need to

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I know you're doing a bit but as someone from.upstate it chaps my rear end bad when people who live in places with good public transportation, especially the city, talk about how you can just take the bus

I live in the Hudson Valley and our public transportation is rear end so I have no choice but to drive a car

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell, we're supposed to get 8-16" of snow tomorrow

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I live in the Hudson Valley and our public transportation is rear end so I have no choice but to drive a car

Same but Syracuse area

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I lived in Broome County, and yes, bc transit is rear end. The tcat in ithaca/Tompkins County was pretty good though.

NYC public transit is mostly terrible now too though so ??? gently caress Cuomo etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nyc transit is spectacular. it’s only bad when you plan around things running exactly on time because they don’t like 10% of the time (esp at night)