Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, went to an auction today.

I may or may not have bought 400+ 7" singles for 20 bucks :v: Country, rock, blues, r&b, everything. 1965 to about 1996.

Just listened to the stones brown sugar, followed by zz top tush, Elton John and John Lennon doing Lucy in the sky, and now Mariah Carey fantasy with ODB :v:

Edit gently caress now I even have to pay loving tolls on this goddamn dead forum

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Found a comic book store!

Douche inside was arguing that Black Panthers powers are all drug induced so he's just another black crackhead.

So much for California being the promised land!

So...like captain America?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bird cooch posted:

So...like captain America?

Racist nerds don't like logic.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Racist nerds don't like logic.

California is pretty loving racist, also. It's super liberal but only as long as different skin colors stay seperate.

Finally had to put records up for the night. I could spend all loving night playing those singles, just getting excited about uncovering whatever is next.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not gonna lie. So far California sucks. We have racism back home and they don't loving pussyfoot around with it. They dress up like loving ghosts and poo poo. Step up your game California.

We also don't cry like loving babies when it's cold. I have lost track of the number of grown rear end people throwing little fits in public because of the chill. We just had the entire patio to ourselves because of the wind.

Maybe there will be an earthquake to liven this poo poo up.

LoL, no. This has been a great time. SD really reminded me of Chicago, just how its laid out and the proximity to water. Decent transit system as well. Also the homeless stuff i have mentioned.

Anaheim thus far is all hotels and buses. Disneyland tomorrow. Then off to some haunted boat.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Anaheim thus far is all hotels and buses. Disneyland tomorrow. Then off to some haunted boat.

The Queen Mary?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes that. My wife's stepfather stayed there and loved it so he bought us a night and the tour.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Yes that. My wife's stepfather stayed there and loved it so he bought us a night and the tour.

If you have a rental car, go drive around the long beach track. At this point it should be all set up, to boot.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Man goes to LA, visits only disneyland, downtown shantytowns, comic book stores and hollywood shithole tourism strip, lol. And it's the coldest it's been in like 10 years.

right click, save as "rhyno.txt"

nm posted:

Mario's (Peruvian)
Make a reservation of the Peterson vault tour (way better than the actual museum, which is also quite good. You have to make a reservation.

Hells yes on the Mario's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We haven't even gotten to LA yet!

Also we did not rent a car for this trip. I wanted to sightsee, not worry about rear end in a top hat drivers.

We're here til Wednesday, still a lot to do.

But for real, none of the food has been special yet. Carne asada fries? You can get that ahit anywhere in the midwest.

My wife gives no shits about cars so we're not doing a lot if car poo poo. Cars & Coffee in Monterey on Saturday is the main thing.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 5, 2018

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Disney is sweet. I just posted previously about spending last week there with my little ones. Are you only spending one day at Disney? Did you get a park hopper pass? If you want to focus on rides/attractions let me know and I can PM you a few pointers.

It was a little chilly but like wear a hoodie at night kind of weather but great during the day. It beat the foot of snow I left in Salt Lake to go (100% the reason I booked the trip two months before our plan to go).

Re: homelessness. It’s sad and sucks everywhere in the western states. We have a lot in Utah to the point I avoid a big part of downtown SLC and only go to specific places. I remember seeing a lot when I went to Phoenix last year too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One day at Disney, our pass gets us into Land and California Adv.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Also we did not rent a car for this trip. I wanted to sightsee, not worry about rear end in a top hat drivers.

But for real, none of the food has been special yet. Carne asada fries? You can get that ahit anywhere in the midwest.

My wife gives no shits about cars so we're not doing a lot if car poo poo. Cars & Coffee in Monterey on Saturday is the main thing.

How can you you see SoCal as it is meant to be seen without a car?

Go to Marios and get lomo saltado. Use the green sauce. You won't get that poo poo in Indiana.
Also, you're been going to poo poo mexican places if it hasn't been better than indiana. Saw you posted a burrito on a fancy plate. Great burritos come in disposable packaging.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 5, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Elaborate. Goons on FB told me i had to drive from SD to Anaheim or I'd regret it. Well the trip was slow, frequently stopped and the highway was jammed with lovely drivers.

San Diego didn't require a car and we saw most of downtown and balboa park. We made it to Old Town and Ocean Beach without a car.

Goons again told me that LA is a huge shithole and to avoid it. Ditto for Hollywood.

See this is the problem with traveling, some peolme think what they like about a city is all that matters. I want to see cool rear end old buildings, walk around and sightsee with my wife and not worry about driving. And also eat pizza every day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Literally everywhere we have eaten or visited was goon advised thus far other than things she put on her wish list. Yeah, i found a comic shop because it was like 1/2 a mile from the place a goon told me to get the fries.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

No idea if either of you are into ships/boats and history, but if you are, the Maritime Museum in San Diego is well worth a visit. I can easily kill a day there, especially if you take a harbor tour on one of their boats. A sail on the America or the Californian is also something that's awesome, but usually requires planning in advance and you'll be out on the water for several hours.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Elaborate. Goons on FB told me i had to drive from SD to Anaheim or I'd regret it. Well the trip was slow, frequently stopped and the highway was jammed with lovely drivers.

San Diego didn't require a car and we saw most of downtown and balboa park. We made it to Old Town and Ocean Beach without a car.

Goons again told me that LA is a huge shithole and to avoid it. Ditto for Hollywood.

See this is the problem with traveling, some peolme think what they like about a city is all that matters. I want to see cool rear end old buildings, walk around and sightsee with my wife and not worry about driving. And also eat pizza every day.
Los Angeles and orange county are really spread out and doing anytging walking or on public transit takes forever. Driving takes a long time, but less, unless a train actually goes there.
For example, if you were still in anahiem tommorow, I'd recommend you get some carnitas at el toro bravo in costa mesa. This would be not be an abnormal trip for dinner in socal. However, without a car it will either take forever or an expensive uber.
La and hollywood suck. Except for food and car stuff, all of which require public transit.
Marios is probably public transitable from hollywood and isn't a terribly expensive uber, so totally go there. Lomo saltado is so good. i repeat, if you gp thrre, get thr lomo saltado.
For the record, I do eat things other than spicy beef and potatoes, but my recommendations wouldn't lead you to believe that.

I would have taken the train from sd to oc, then rented a car.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 5, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FWIW, everyone that lives in a warm climate bitches when it gets cold.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Being in FL is fun when it gets below 65 or so.
Everyone bundles up like it's a blizzard.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

One day at Disney, our pass gets us into Land and California Adv.

You have been messaged privately :pervert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

angryrobots posted:

Woke up, declared herself "all better" and ran outside where I shortly had to holler at her to stop chasing the dogs with a stick.

Kids are awesome.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Applebees Appetizer posted:

FWIW, everyone that lives in a warm climate bitches when it gets cold.

Exactly like how everyone from a cold climate bitches when it gets warm enough to be tolerable for us firey hellhole residents :)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I finally got to put the top down and drive around in my Capri. I kind of hate that car, but drat do I love it every once in a while

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Exactly like how everyone from a cold climate bitches when it gets warm enough to be tolerable for us firey hellhole residents :)

Hey, there's a reason those areas weren't really developed before A/C was invented

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's a dry cold, 65 and a slight breeze with 3% humidity feels a hundred times colder than 45 and 40% humidity.

Rhyno, If you've only been to San Diego, San Diego is like what Los Angeles would be if it was created in a vat designed to be as California-Lite as possible while not offending anyone.

In LA:
Go to Mario's Peruvian, there's two guys here independently telling you to do it and to get the Lomo Saltado and a shitload of the aji sauce. Nothing like that anywhere. It's also surprisingly economical.
Eat sushi, you can throw a broken PT Cruiser shift automatic gear selector knob into the south valley (Studio City/North Hollywood/Sherman Oaks) and hit 11 places that are better than anything that's not in Japan.
Eat autentico mexican, which means there'll be no lettuce in the burritos like they do up Midwest Way.
Go to Koreatown and have all you can eat BBQ.
Go eat fresh shrimp anywhere along the beach between Redondo and Malibu.

Then to really cap off your honeymoon, take your lady to Providence, you will not have a better meal anywhere in the world.

Rhyno posted:

My wife gives no shits about cars

:sever: or alternately, quit getting free terrible cars, learn to drive RWD, and maybe she'll get into the idea!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, mom drowned her S6 Edge. Apparently her cat knocked it into the toilet. It was DOA by the time she pulled it out.

Did a factory reset on my work phone (Moto X 2014), which is the most reliable non-daily driver phone I have. Turns out Xposed Mod modifies enough system files that you soft brick the phone doing that. Wound up going by there after work and loading a factory image on it, got it working. In theory, I should have it back in a couple of days, but stepdad controls the purse strings, and he's off to Craigslist to undoubtedly buy a blacklisted S7.

Using my Nexus 6P as my work phone for now. Cripes, it's big. And keeps shutting off when it drops below 80%. :fuckoff: I guess the upside is it actually has a decent antenna and radio, unlike the Essential PH-1 (seriously ready to dropkick this thing, it has serious signal issues... and /r/essential shows I'm far from alone). :sigh: Forgot how beautiful the AMOLED display was on the Nexus too. :allears: Essential has pretty drat good battery life though, from a way smaller battery. Blaming that on the LCD vs AMOLED panel, plus a newer, more efficient processor.

The Locator posted:

If recall work takes more than a day then the manufacturer should pick it up, but some dealers are lazy and don't want to do that paperwork.

FWIW, GM claimed if any recalls on my car took over an hour and a half, I was to get a loaner for the full day.

The dealer claimed an hour.

4 hours later, I had a bitch of a sunburn, had one salesman hand me an application for a lot porter when I told him I was just looking and couldn't afford a Camaro anyway (I almost kicked him in the nuts for that one), and drat near lost my job, since stupid me believed them when they said "we guarantee it'll be an hour for the power steering recall!").

(gently caress Huffines Chevrolet so loving hard)

(the other recall work was all done by Reliable Chevy in Richardson.. and they knocked it all out super quick, didn't hassle me while walking around, and when I asked about burger places, one guy said "YOU GOTTA TRY THIS PLACE" and drove me the ~mile down the road. the burger was indeed worth it - he even offered to pick me back up, but I figured I needed to walk off the ~2/3 pound burger).

ExplodingSims posted:

It's not quite like that here, but we'll get the random 75-80 degree day here in December.

I remember seeing a family of 3 or 4 walking down the road bundled up like it was -20 degrees when it was 80 in the middle of December... when I (and literally everybody else around) was wearing shorts, had the windows down, and the ac on. I felt bad for the kids.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm going to be in Victoria B.C. 28th March - 7th April. Anyone even close to that area want to meet and talk poo poo about cars?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm going to be in Victoria B.C. 28th March - 7th April. Anyone even close to that area want to meet and talk poo poo about cars?

Oh hey yeah that's where I live! I think there's a couple other AI posters from Victoria too. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to be in town that week since I have a cutover at work around then but I'll have that figured out in the next few days.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ExplodingSims posted:

It's 42 out right now and I'm seriously considering my life choices of having to go to work.

Granted I still won't wear a coat, because I hate layering.

Edit: also, is it weird if there's like 6 of us at work that bring a French press to make coffee? Cause it feels weird.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 5, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's a dry cold, 65 and a slight breeze with 3% humidity feels a hundred times colder than 45 and 40% humidity.

You got this backwards mate, a dry cold is much more tolerable than a humid cold. Try visiting the Maritimes, I guarantee you will be frozen to your bones at -15°C with high humidity from the surrounding ocean and a breeze while -40°C in the dry prairies can be tolerable.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit: also, is it weird if there's like 6 of us at work that bring a French press to make coffee? Cause it feels weird.

Means you, and others at your work, have class and taste.
I'd do it but I'm loving lazy, and the kettle at work is loving gross.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Siochain posted:

Means you, and others at your work, have class and taste.
I'd do it but I'm loving lazy, and the kettle at work is loving gross.

The work coffee is loving disgusting, and at this point in my life I'm done drinking bad coffee. Even cheap poo poo like dunkin tastes better when fresh ground and brewed that way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So humidity makes both hot and cold days worse? I wonder if there's objectively a temperature at which the effect is neutral.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Rhyno, If you've only been to San Diego, San Diego is like what Los Angeles would be if it was created in a vat designed to be as California-Lite as possible while not offending anyone.

In LA:
Go to Mario's Peruvian, there's two guys here independently telling you to do it and to get the Lomo Saltado and a shitload of the aji sauce. Nothing like that anywhere. It's also surprisingly economical.
Eat sushi, you can throw a broken PT Cruiser shift automatic gear selector knob into the south valley (Studio City/North Hollywood/Sherman Oaks) and hit 11 places that are better than anything that's not in Japan.
Eat autentico mexican, which means there'll be no lettuce in the burritos like they do up Midwest Way.
Go to Koreatown and have all you can eat BBQ.
Go eat fresh shrimp anywhere along the beach between Redondo and Malibu.

Then to really cap off your honeymoon, take your lady to Providence, you will not have a better meal anywhere in the world.

:sever: or alternately, quit getting free terrible cars, learn to drive RWD, and maybe she'll get into the idea!

Listen to this man
Probably stay away from skid row though.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Enourmo posted:

So humidity makes both hot and cold days worse? I wonder if there's objectively a temperature at which the effect is neutral.

Around 15-20 celcius is that point for me. Probably varies by your acclimitization. But if its in that range, humid/not humid doesn't seem to make much difference to me.

But humidity makes cold a LOT worse. loving terrible-worse.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

At least go visit the Peterson museum in LA, if only because it was closed for remodeling when I was there. Likewise, if you're still in San Diego, go tour the USS Midway, because I didn't have time when I was there for work stuff. I live vicariously through others.

Went to flush the cooling system on my wife's Kia, but gave up before I started when I noticed the wet rusty coolant on the outside of the radiator. Now waiting for a new rad to be delivered, thanks to the 3" long crack in the top tank. Thankfully it's about a 1/2" from the top, so the car is fine for the short drives my wife makes. She'll be watching the temp gauge, though.
Did get a new master cylinder on my AE86, and I'm thrilled that it actually stops without planning ahead, now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

California is spectacular. But the people ruin it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

I can't disagree with this.

We're off to Disneyland now, doesn't look like we're spending a great amount of time in LA proper. We're doing the WB tour in Burbank, i have a friend there who's gonna let is past a checkpoint.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

To be fair, this can be said about many many places.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Tide posted:

To be fair, this can be said about many many places.

There are very few circumstances where "__________ would be great if it weren't for all of these people" isn't applicable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Misanthropes unite!

"Nah I went last time, everyone at those meetings sucks"

• Locked thread