Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

those people are 100% correct

its dumb bullshit

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its dumb bullshit

Yeah, Yossarian's posts are pretty bad.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

yes

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its dumb bullshit

I wouldn't say Sakai is dumb. Even when I disagree with him, (which I do very much on the labor aristocracy/transhistorical settlerism thesis), he's always got something interesting to say. All of the Read Settlers dullards definitely are though, and are constitutionally incapable of making the kind of insights he does because they're incurious and dogmatic.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Settlers isn't even that controversial in terms of left wing historiography. It just seems to be something first world kiddies latch on to in order to demonstrate their bonafides, even though they only half understand it in the first place.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Settlers isn't even that controversial in terms of left wing historiography. It just seems to be something first world kiddies latch on to in order to demonstrate their bonafides, even though they only half understand it in the first place.

It's not historiography, it's history. But anyway, the idea that American whites form a separate (bourgeois) class from (proletarian) American blacks is absolutely controversial. It would be extremely controversial even within mainstream third-worldism, (Monthly Review, people like Samir Amin), let alone the left as a whole. Sure, people would find parts to agree with, but it's at the very hard, very controversial end of third-worldism. About as controversial as you can get really. You're full of it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Settlers isn't about history, or even historical materialism. It's pure white guilt material/ethnic essentialism that, while great trolling material (why it was popular with lf), falls back on the same patterns of logic reactionaries or racists use to justify their actions & beliefs- it's simply the mirror image of American white racism. Calling it 'left historiography' is a vast over statement.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

That's a very decontextualized view. The standard reactionary narrative when Settlers was written was much different, just throwback Jim Crow-style white supremacism. It's really only possible to see it in the context of its time, with the demobilization of the left, the failure of black nationalism, and the emergence of neoliberalism. I'm not a third-worldist of any sort anymore but it's an understandable reaction that looks archaic and regressive in retrospect. And again, it's not all worthless. I'd much prefer Sakai to Ta-Nehisi Coates, (who basically does fit your description).

Also I wanna note that the people pushing it are anything but "kiddies". The people that run readsettlers.biz are diehard tankie veterans from the rhizzone.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It employs the same basic narrative structure of white/European anti semitism, but flipped on its head. And that never really went away. That's why it's great trolling material, while simultaneously being trash intellectually.

Coates' afropessimism is a different kind of regress, arguably more similar to stuff like Zionism.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

That's such a bizarre and inaccurate interpretation I have to assume you haven't read the book.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Should I read settlers?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goon Danton posted:

Should I read settlers?

yes

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

Should I read settlers?

There are probably better uses of your time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought Settlers was interesting and raised good points until about halfway in when it said something about all whites in america not only being complicit in racial hierarchy but supportive of it and i was like, uh, seems a bit broad of a statement

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah it goes off the rails when he just starts talking out of his rear end.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
read settlers, or play settlers of cataan?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

play settlers

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Thug Lessons posted:

There are probably better uses of your time.

This must be one of those sectarianisms I've been hearing about.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Thug Lessons posted:

That's such a bizarre and inaccurate interpretation I have to assume you haven't read the book.
The consistent framing is that white=malicious, that solidadity is impossible, and that these battle-lines are absolute. The structure of the economic system is secondary to the 'natures' of the people in it, in determining the trajectory of history i.e. history is character-driven, not systems driven.

That is stock far right framing, all settlers does is replace The Jew with The White using the history of colonialism.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

rudatron posted:

The consistent framing is that white=malicious, that solidadity is impossible, and that these battle-lines are absolute. The structure of the economic system is secondary to the 'natures' of the people in it, in determining the trajectory of history i.e. history is character-driven, not systems driven.

That is stock far right framing, all settlers does is replace The Jew with The White using the history of colonialism.

He doesn't do any of that though. For example he praises the IWW as a genuine and tragic (white-led!) attempt at cross-racial solidarity that succumbed to its own flaws and brutal repression. He consistently emphasizes the economic forces that are driving white consciousness. And none of this has anything in common with anti-semitism, which bears no resemblance to Sakai's thesis: anti-semitism was always about conspiracy theory, accusations of disloyalty, and allegations of subversive societal corruption that are entirely absent from Sakai. Again I don't believe you've read the book, just gleaned these "insights" second-hand or maybe concocted them entirely in your own mind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Play Europa Universalis.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/970510124623245312

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Rhizzone_Txt/status/970509960319651840

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

zizek himself read that lol, delivering posts through direct action owns

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Maybe Trump was right about arming the teachers

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/littlecuckball/status/970563542645698560

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sounds like the union leadership is poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol why not use a housemaid service or uber, the burger metaphor doesn't make sense because of material costs

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

Should I read settlers?

having read settlers recently and agreeing broadly with thug lessons: if you're into reading medium-or-larger works of left theory i think it has value in finding out where the 'read settlers!' crowd are coming from and as a bracing corrective to absorbed liberal ideas of american history, if you feel like you need the latter at all. it's an intent presentation of a certain point of view that has some truth to it and needs to be taken into account.

definitely fanon has higher priority though (i haven't read fanon but i'm gonna this year)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Aliquid posted:

lol why not use a housemaid service or uber, the burger metaphor doesn't make sense because of material costs

They did factor in material costs, that's the "costs 1 dollar to make."

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

burgers are a more natural fit for the commodity-production model of marx too, though the basic equation of profit remains applicable

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

christ math is hard, i see now

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Aliquid posted:

christ math is hard, i see now

i mean not really, 0 terrestrial fathers + 1 terrestrial mother + 3 wise men + 12 disciples + 33 years + 4 limbs + 3 nails + 3 days = 1 resurrection

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jfc my mom is really into christian numerology, please don't do that

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
ok well how about this: about 2200 years ago, a woman lied about cheating on her husband, and now a couple billion people believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ScrubLeague posted:

ok well how about this: about 2200 years ago, a woman lied about cheating on her husband, and now a couple billion people believe it.

not to be rude but how do you get 2200 years when we live in the year of our lord 2018