Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

Dear god, Apple and Onion is practically the kids' cartoon version of Jimmy Fallon. CN's weirder Pickle and Peanut. I really don't know what the gently caress to think.

The preview pilot of it seemed like Flight of the Concords for kids, but maybe it was just the accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Argue posted:

I'm really excited to watch 3 new episodes plus a 2 minute leak of those new shows over the next decade!

plus CN changed up its servers so now people are only gonna get screenshots, not the 2-min previews

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FELD1 posted:

Just realized that my fav kids' shows right now ('Miraculous Ladybug' and 'Star vs.') both have female leads. Good stuff.
Ladybug is the lead to such an extent in Miraculous that if they don't eventually do a story where Adrien/Cat Noir gets pissed off about his enforced sidekick status (Ladybug is the only person who can purify the akumas; he's just muscle/a decoy, and since we're going to get more Miraculous holders this season not even the only one), the writers are really missing a trick.

Mind you, 'Glaciator' marked the first time he gets actively pissed off at her, albeit for friendzoning him, so maybe they're going to build on that.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I really enjoyed Glaciator ending with Adrien going "Welp, I've been friendzoned. Good thing I'm not a lovely gremlin and actually put value on her as a person. Being friends is great too!"

Adrien is a very good role model.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Apple & Orange. It feels very British for some reason.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Luz is a terrible name. Almost any other vowel would be better.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I wanted to like Billy Dilley so bad

I only remember it being really, offensively ugly. But chalk up another one watching Amphibia with interest!

Beachcomber posted:

Luz is a terrible name. Almost any other vowel would be better.

I'll bet anything it's from Spanish for "light".

Whiz Palace fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 26, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

I really enjoyed Glaciator ending with Adrien going "Welp, I've been friendzoned. Good thing I'm not a lovely gremlin and actually put value on her as a person. Being friends is great too!"

Adrien is a very good role model.

Yeah, this. Though I like the 'unrequited love' vs 'friendzone' definition better:

Unrequited love: my feelings for you are MY problem

friendzone: my feelings for you are YOUR problem

Adrien went from the second to the first in this episode (though he still hasn't given up on someday winning her affections) and while it shows maturity he's still got a ways to go.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Infinity Train is coming to CN in 2019! I have mixed feelings about this considering how terrible they’ve been treating shows that aren’t TTGO.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gann Jerrod posted:

Infinity Train is coming to CN in 2019! I have mixed feelings about this considering how terrible they’ve been treating shows that aren’t TTGO.

That's awesome! I loved the pilot. I have high hopes for this series.

e: for reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6kfVWv01k

Pakled fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 3, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Just finished watching the new season of Voltron. It was pretty good, lots of big things happening Zarkon's dead, for real this time, Lotor's the new emperor and might not be evil, Pidge found her dad and Keith found his mom, and some progress on whatever the hell is happening with Shiro.. I'm glad Lance got a bigger role this season, he even got a sword!

They also did the thing they did with seasons 3 and 4 where they took one season and split it in half for whatever reason(season "6" has already been announced for June). I wish they would just release the whole season at once instead of these 6 episode bursts.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gann Jerrod posted:

Maybe CN will have their poo poo together by next year?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, they were bleeding shows dry last year, so I'm hoping they learned from it and are gonna work a bit harder to retain their new shows. They've been airing Unikitty plenty, and Apple & Onion's been getting a decent amount of play.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Does we bare bears still... exist? Also maybe they could actually air Steven Universe at all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Does we bare bears still... exist? Also maybe they could actually air Steven Universe at all.

According to YouTube TV, there's a new episode of We Bare Bears tonight.

Also according to YouTube TV, Steven Universe is apparently no longer being aired on TV as there's nothing on the schedule and nothing for on demand. demand. Even We Bare Bears has on demand episodes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Just finished watching the new season of Voltron. It was pretty good, lots of big things happening Zarkon's dead, for real this time, Lotor's the new emperor and might not be evil, Pidge found her dad and Keith found his mom, and some progress on whatever the hell is happening with Shiro.. I'm glad Lance got a bigger role this season, he even got a sword!

They also did the thing they did with seasons 3 and 4 where they took one season and split it in half for whatever reason(season "6" has already been announced for June). I wish they would just release the whole season at once instead of these 6 episode bursts.

At this point either Lotor's pulling the most amazing long con I've seen in a good while, or he really is on the level. His master plan still scares the poo poo out of me, even if it really is 100% altruistic. I can see it backfiring amazingly on everyone.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Brianne Drouhard, who you might remember from the Princess Amethyst shorts on Cartoon Network has a new short on Nickelodeon based on her webcomic Harpy Gee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSnlJW_ytMI

I remember reading years ago on her blog about trying to pitch Harpy as a show and constantly being told to change it up to be more marketable/standard, so seeing it fully animated with the characters and tone basically exactly like the comic is pretty... cathartic? relieving? I'm just glad she finally got to do it is what I mean.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also according to YouTube TV, Steven Universe is apparently no longer being aired on TV as there's nothing on the schedule and nothing for on demand. demand. Even We Bare Bears has on demand episodes.

I have no idea what CN's doing with SU anymore, like is there some secret vendetta against Rebecca Sugar being carried out at this point.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Yardbomb posted:

I have no idea what CN's doing with SU anymore, like is there some secret vendetta against Rebecca Sugar being carried out at this point.

I don't think anybody understands and that's why it's more infuriating than all the usual corporate bullshit that we've become numbed to.

The closest thing to an actual explanation I've heard is the idea that they're panicking at the thought of hitting the end of all their actual popular shows and not having any more, and that's why they're hoarding everything until they get another hit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Which might ironically be having the opposite effect, because after the latest hiatus, I just stopped giving a poo poo about SU.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If common sense was involved in this situation they wouldn’t have scheduled TTG until even the people who liked it (and/or the adjacent poo poo-flinging) were sick of it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't need hype to like a show.
I do wish su would have a normal schedule. It's still fairly unique all things considered.

Speaking of things that suffer a little from hiatuses, Voltron season 5 dropped this week. I think this season was good, but it started some things that won't really be concluded until half a year or more from now and didn't have a super explosive finale like last season.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Brianne Drouhard, who you might remember from the Princess Amethyst shorts on Cartoon Network has a new short on Nickelodeon based on her webcomic Harpy Gee!

I remember reading years ago on her blog about trying to pitch Harpy as a show and constantly being told to change it up to be more marketable/standard, so seeing it fully animated with the characters and tone basically exactly like the comic is pretty... cathartic? relieving? I'm just glad she finally got to do it is what I mean.

I only knew of Drouhard from her appearance on Cancelled Too Soon but she seemed nice, glad to see she's making headway with her comic.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Waffleman_ posted:

Which might ironically be having the opposite effect, because after the latest hiatus, I just stopped giving a poo poo about SU.

This is my problem too, I won't let myself get invested if this is what we're gonna get, I'll wait until either it's just all there eventually or I'll wait until someone slaps some sense whoever's behind scheduling. It really sucks because I still love the show, but months and months for like 4 episodes at once with one of them often being a townie episode is grueling. I said it before too but what makes it worse is that with the giant gaps, the otherwise cute townie episodes feel like they're taking up space that could be a little extra plot, so it's "Uuuugh" rather than "Awww" when one's there.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 4, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think the last regular SU episode I saw had Lars turn :ssj: Rosé, but then there was some poo poo about Lapis and Peridot having a custody battle about the farmhouse?

Like, I need a month of recap catchup episodes at this point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

God only knows what goes on inside the world of network scheduling. SU is far from the only great show to go on a weird drip feed. At least now streaming services mean that you're not as beholden to scheduling as you used to be.

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I was really surprised to hear that Nickelodeon was putting out neat shorts like Cartoon Network does, since it doesn't really seem like Nick would really do anything with them. It's not even the only short from a webcomicker they've done, they also put out one by Monica Ray from Phuzzy comics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKpAtqwx9NQ

I'm not really sure what kind of channel Nickelodeon wants to be anymore.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

FilthyImp posted:

I think the last regular SU episode I saw had Lars turn :ssj: Rosé, but then there was some poo poo about Lapis and Peridot having a custody battle about the farmhouse?

Like, I need a month of recap catchup episodes at this point.

Sadly, you don't. You've missed, like, four episodes at most.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yardbomb posted:

my theory is that, because they straight up can't air SU without heavy censorship in a large chunk of the countries CN operates in, it's not a super high priority for the corporate suits even if it's, on paper, doing pretty well in the countries they can bring it to. CN seems super invested in the international arm of their business, moreso than the domestic arm, nowadays, so if a show's doing well domestically but is iffy internationally it won't be a shock if they back-seat it regardless.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, but that doesn't explain why they're doing the same thing to nearly everything that isn't Teen Titans Go.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Speaking of things that suffer a little from hiatuses, Voltron season 5 dropped this week. I think this season was good, but it started some things that won't really be concluded until half a year or more from now and didn't have a super explosive finale like last season.

Season 6 was already announced for June, which will probably have the big explosive finale like season 4 did. Seasons 3 and 4 felt like two halves of one season, with season 3's finale being a flashback episode, and I bet it'll feel the same way with season 5 and 6 after the latter is released.

It wouldn't really bug me that much if Netflix didn't call these 6 episode chunks full seasons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not really sure what kind of channel Nickelodeon wants to be anymore.

It really feels like they're going through an identity crisis. They really only have three cartoons of note anymore and one of them is 20 years old. The indistinguishable multi-camera sitcoms SEEM to be doing well for them, but it's hard to tell. (There is a fourth cartoon, but it's an incredibly low-effort spinoff of one of said sitcoms)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Rhonne posted:

Seasons 3 and 4 felt like two halves of one season, with season 3's finale being a flashback episode, and I bet it'll feel the same way with season 5 and 6 after the latter is released.

Close but not quite right: seasons 2 and 3 were one big season in production, as are seasons 4 and 5

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Close but not quite right: seasons 2 and 3 were one big season in production, as are seasons 4 and 5

Season 2/3 was 19 episodes? That's a very weird number. It's way more likely that they split what had been standard 13 episode seasons in half, so 3/4 was one set and 5/6 was another.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Huh, I didn't know that, weird.

nine-gear crow posted:

At this point either Lotor's pulling the most amazing long con I've seen in a good while, or he really is on the level. His master plan still scares the poo poo out of me, even if it really is 100% altruistic. I can see it backfiring amazingly on everyone.

Agreed. I don't see this plan ending well no matter what his true intentions are.

I also wonder what Haggar's ultimate goal is in all this. Zarkon is dead and she seems to have abandoned the empire entirely after her Sendak plan failed. She knows where Oriande is now and has "Shiro" in her pocket, so she's in a good position to cause some major damage.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

Season 2/3 was 19 episodes? That's a very weird number. It's way more likely that they split what had been standard 13 episode seasons in half, so 3/4 was one set and 5/6 was another.

?

Season 2/3 is the equivalent to 52 eps (Full Disclosure to Bubbled)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yardbomb posted:

I think right now CN is staring down another nadir like the one it had about 10 years ago when they stuffed the schedule full of lovely Canadian cartoons and had the one head of programming that hated cartoons and implemented CN Real. Only this time it's constant reruns of the same 10 episodes of the same 3-4 shows.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

?

Season 2/3 is the equivalent to 52 eps (Full Disclosure to Bubbled)

I think this was referring to Voltron, not SU.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

YggiDee posted:

I think this was referring to Voltron, not SU.

ah yeah, makes more sense now

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
With Voltron, Seasons 3/4 were one season, and 5/6 are another.

(Technically, I think that seasons 1/2 were actually one season, and 3/4/5/6 are another. They were originally commissioned for -- I believe -- 78 episodes split into three seasons, so we've got a fair bit of show left to go.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Huh, I didn't know that, weird.

Agreed. I don't see this plan ending well no matter what his true intentions are.

I also wonder what Haggar's ultimate goal is in all this. Zarkon is dead and she seems to have abandoned the empire entirely after her Sendak plan failed. She knows where Oriande is now and has "Shiro" in her pocket, so she's in a good position to cause some major damage.

Yeah, after this season I can easily see Haggar just going "fine, I'll do it myself," and actually becoming the big bad of the series because literally everyone else in front of her just up and died and her dumbass son actually did turn out to be a justice-minded reformer. Barring an unforeseen third option, it's looking like the main arc of the back half of the show is probably either going to be putting down Lotor's new empire after he turns on everyone or stopping Haggar's roulette wheel of crazy after she kicks Lotor of the throne... unless there's something even deeper than that from the original series that they can pull out as a surprise twist.