Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I haven't seen Boss Baby but I've heard that the environments and art direction are really good at times so I can't be too upset about it getting a nod. In a perfect world animation would be a technical category like costumes and special effects so the award would be purely for the craft itself and the actual film as a story could be judged on its own merits; there are a lot of gorgeously-animated films that are awful and lots of great entertainment that isn't animated particularly well.

Waffleman_ posted:

E: Remember, the first Best Animated Picture was Shrek.

Whether you think Shrek was better than Monsters Inc or not (its only other competition was the Jimmy Neutron movie), it's arguably the most important animated films of that year because it single handedly dictated the direction for the next decade of animated features, made CGI usurp traditional animation, and had a ton of crossover appeal among people who didn't usually like animation.

Also it's a good movie. A few pop culture references are dated but other than that it's a good fractured fairy tale and great as an intentional backlash to the Disney both as a company and as a house style it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

readingatwork posted:

When NC is good he’s good. He’s not usually good though.

Lindsay Ellis on the other hand owns consistently.

This is a good take. NC has some good content, but Lindsay has consistently great content.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BigglesSWE posted:

This is a good take. NC has some good content, but Lindsay has consistently great content.

Like with most of these YouTube reviewers, I find she’s better when she keeps it simple. When she starts getting meta and diverting into little side plots with her friends I start to tune out.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Talking about “important” animated features, Coco, a movie consisting of a almost completely Latino cast, was released while the garbagefire-in-chief tries to build a wall around Mexico. The movie was obviously in development loooong before Dump and his ilk was in power, but anything to piss his xenophobic lardass is good in my books. (It’s also a very good movie).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like Loving Vincent will get it because of the sheer amount of hard work involved.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nah, nobody had to take their kids to that one. It's gonna be Coco.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like Loving Vincent will get it because of the sheer amount of hard work involved.

:lol: no

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BigglesSWE posted:

To each his own, obviously, but I’ve never seen the appeal in Plinket or RLM for that matter. I find them
Obnoxious and dull. Just because they’re right about bad movies, doesn’t mean they’re good. But that’s just me against the entire Internet, basically.

Well I'm not actually a big fan of RLM but those two reviews I mentioned are ones that I like and occasionally like to rewatch as background noise. Whatever their opinions on the films I like watching those 2 reviews just because of the ratio of dumb poo poo to good points that are raised, and they didn't focus too heavily on "skits".

Also with The Incredibles 2 coming out has DreamWorks just abandoned some of their properties? I'm not crying for a Shrek 5 (though I thought I read somewhere that was a possibility) but are we not going to do anything else with the Kung-Fu Panda universe? No How to Train Your Dragon 3?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what incredibles 2 has to do with Dreamworks not making any sequels lately but they are still making plenty of sequels. I mean Kung Fu Panda just came out in 2016 so even for Dreamworks that would be a quick sequel (though they are supposedly already starting on Boss Baby 2) and HTTYD3 to is supposedly coming next year.

Also in development are Trolls 2 and Croods 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

Also in development are Trolls 2

Featuring the McElroy Brothers, of course.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If you watch the first 15 minutes of Boss Baby and turn it off it feels like it could win an Oscar.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Like with most of these YouTube reviewers, I find she’s better when she keeps it simple. When she starts getting meta and diverting into little side plots with her friends I start to tune out.

To be fair, she hasn't really done that kind of stuff for a while now. But yeah, as a rule I don't really care too much for side plots in Internet reviews. For example, the Plinkett reviews of the prequels probably would have been better without all the extra stuff going on (he does do a pretty good Palpatine impression though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 4, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

They should've used some of that hard work to make a good movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Aces High posted:

No How to Train Your Dragon 3?

According to my twitter feed the story department just finished their work on this, so I guess it'll move into production soon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

To be fair, she hasn't really done that kind of stuff for a while now. But yeah, as a rule I don't really care too much for side plots in Internet reviews. For example, the Plinkett reviews of the prequels probably would have been better without all the extra stuff going on (he does do a pretty good Palpatine impression though)

They seemed to agree come the Sith review, since they put the resolution to the plot they set up in a separate video and basically had none of it in the review.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Did the people who animated this speak english? the lipsync is all over the goddamn place.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

i can’t believe how many people they tricked into watching that movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Coco.

Also Kobe.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 5, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Way, way worse films have gotten the nod than Boss Baby which is honestly kind of clever and funny.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Yeah I saw it on a plane because I was feeling too motion sick to rewatch Interstellar and while it wasn't crash hot it was pretty solid 'not Dreamworks' best work but way better than their dreck' quality.

I'd rate it above Madagascar (which I don't particularly like) but below Megamind (which I very much do).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I still think Madagascar got better (funnier) as the movies went on. I loved the hell out of the Penguins spinoff

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Penguins of Madagascar was so insane it was great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Venice chase scene is SO bonkers and good

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vegetable posted:

i can’t believe how many people they tricked into watching that movie

Like, if it had just been a series of 3 or 4 shorts it would have been really impressive but it was so obvious that the feature length film version was 3 or 4 shorts joined together with the most nothing possible story and a "my nephew showed me this photoshop filter" rotoscope job. The whole thing is made so much worse by the fact only certain scenes have any effort put into them.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, I liked Loving Vincent! :saddowns:

(...as a technical showcase, that is; the story itself is boring as hell and the "mystery" they try to set up just isn't that compelling. But drat, if it wasn't a treat to bask in the watercolor and identify all of Van Gogh paintings that influenced the work. But no, this wouldn't have won.)

All, in all, I'm happy that Coco won, though, if only because I'm a sucker for the kind of emotions they hammered on and representation is important.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There were about three or four visually impressive scenes in the whole movie.

One of the basic problems with the movie is that it rushes through van Gogh's oeuvre, so there's no time to appreciate any of it. The whole idea is wasted. Paintings actually need time to be appreciated. This is why the most impressive scenes were the ones with most movement, because they were doing something original.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As a note, it’s not watercolor. It’s oils,

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

resurgam40 posted:

(...as a technical showcase, that is; the story itself is boring as hell and the "mystery" they try to set up just isn't that compelling. But drat, if it wasn't a treat to bask in the watercolor and identify all of Van Gogh paintings that influenced the work. But no, this wouldn't have won.)

It feels like a bad showcase even though because some scenes are really amazing and others feel so half assed, it's like they had 40 minutes of real carefully constructed footage then joined it together with bad 1990s CD rom game rotoscoping. Like parts of it looked absolutely amazing then the next scene would look like this with a photoshop filter over it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Hf3ioJsNg

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I always dreamed of making Aliens Ate My Homework into an animated film and it’s getting a live action Netflix version. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macaluso posted:

The Venice chase scene is SO bonkers and good

It's basically perfect. I love the Penguins movie a lot, and that scene is just perfect.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Madagascar 3 had great characters, like the circus animals, although I felt that the love interest was often overdoing her accent in a way that it interfered with her actual acting. I especially liked that the Sealion was totally unafraid of the intimidating russian tiger to the extent that when he tried to interrupt him by throwing knives at him, the Sealion's response is to get annoyed with him and just snarl. also the villain was great, loved how she was designed to specifically be able to move fluidly on both 2 and 4 limbs.

Also this scene was amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTt4SrzibV0. As was "It was never about the money. It was only ever about... the lion." She give no fucks about the feeling of the humans present, let alone the animals, she just wants Alex's head on her wall.

Although the Afro Circus bit went on far too long and was the most jarring part of the movie. The rescue itself was cool, and the music was funny for a bit, but then it just kept going through the credits and ruined the joke.

It also has my favourite animal joke though, in which they point out the biological lifespans of the cast despite the fact that they are adult animals.

"Show me :)"
"'Show me', what are we, 5?!"
"Yes, I am 5. Show me!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The big circus scene with Firework is also really really good

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Macaluso posted:

The big circus scene with Firework is also really really good

I really liked the scene when the Sealion and Zebra first use the cannon. The Sealion gets in trouble due to bad trajectory, the Zebra comes to his aid, but then for the next few seconds all he's feeling is pure elation as he soars through the air. It's a very nice little moment for one of the more annoying characters.

I also liked the scene when they finally get back to their Zoo, the entire point of the last 2 movies, and realise just how pathetic it was. Then they get recaptured and the zoo becomes a literal prison to match the metaphorical one that they were so desperate to escape from in the first movie.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Coco won it then, and I have no objections.

Unkrich's speech was probably causing some MAGA-heads to erupt...assuming they'd even watch the Oscars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cClLL7f3H8k

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just rewatched the song Gaston from the original Disney movie. Something neat that I never picked up on is that on the line "Now that I'm grown I eat 5 dozen eggs so I'm roughly the size of a barge!" during the rhythm at the end of the line, each bolded word is accompanied by Gaston physically inflating as he flexes into each pose. Very subtle use of "squash and stretch" but effectively gets the point across. Although I'm sure eating 5 dozen eggs isn't easy considering I doubt Gaston can count to 10, let alone 60 :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0&t=143s

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 6, 2018

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

It's a great song, but Internet Memes has ruined it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wqId9iH7gY

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
That's not even a barge. Get your poo poo together, internet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also it's a common visual but I like when a villain who is trying to pretend to be better than he is, like Gaston and Ratigan (great mouse detective), end up looking more bestial in the climax, like toward the end of the fight with the Beast where Gaston's hair starts going all over the place and he gets slightly more exaggerated motion as his cruelty comes to the surface. Ratigan is also a good example as as the clocktower fight goes on he loses a chunk of his outfit and winds up moving and fighting like a feral rat. It's an effecting visual that often has a lot of fun behind it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Ratigan transition is refined Keane goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I rewatched Up the other day with my girlfriend and I was surprised at how much I liked the villain this time around. Back in 2009 I remember thinking that Charles Muntz was kind of lame, but now I realised that Plummer gives a pretty drat good performance; he's initially kind and welcoming, but there's this bit, just at the start of his meeting with Carl, where his impending madness is hinted at. And his delivery throughout his remaining dialouge is pretty spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsRfZXBS2s8 A great scene, if you ask me.