Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess it's more of a crime thriller than an action movie - sort of a west coast French Connection to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Syncopated posted:

To live and die in LA is way underrated when it comes to 80's action movies and I'm not sure why. Too slow maybe? Weak characters? I love it though.

IMO it's right on the verge of a cultural rediscovery, kinda like what's happened with Miami Vice and Sorcerer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen Sorcerer but I've heard it's really good. If nothing else, I'd hazard that it probably deserves to be known for something other than being "the movie that went up against Star Wars in 1977 and lost".

Edit: Tying them both together, apparently Mann thought about getting Friedkin to play Hannibal Lecter in Manhunter. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 3, 2018

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’ve been meaning to watch To Live And Die In LA, but it doesn’t seem to be streaming anywhere. I guess I could rent it for a few bucks. I’ve liked the few Friedkin films I’ve seen, especially Sorcerer, but I’ve also turned into a big Willem Dafoe fan over the years. I’ve always liked him but never really thought of myself as a fan in particular. But looking back at all the stuff he’s done, I can’t actually think of a single one off the top of my head where he gave a bad or even a mediocre performance. Well, maybe Manderlay but he was only in that for a couple minutes and that movie kind of sucked anyway.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen Sorcerer but I've heard it's really good. If nothing else, I'd hazard that it probably deserves to be known for something other than being "the movie that went up against Star Wars in 1977 and lost".

Edit: Tying them both together, apparently Mann thought about getting Friedkin to play Hannibal Lecter in Manhunter. :D

The recent Sorcerer blu-ray is a pro-get, by the way.

Human Tornada posted:

IMO it's right on the verge of a cultural rediscovery, kinda like what's happened with Miami Vice and Sorcerer.

It's gotten a Shout Factory release recently in the US, and an Arrow Video release in the UK, so I suspect it already has a fanbase.

https://www.amazon.com/To-Live-and-...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.co.uk/To-Live-an...=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I’ve been meaning to watch To Live And Die In LA, but it doesn’t seem to be streaming anywhere. I guess I could rent it for a few bucks. I’ve liked the few Friedkin films I’ve seen, especially Sorcerer, but I’ve also turned into a big Willem Dafoe fan over the years. I’ve always liked him but never really thought of myself as a fan in particular. But looking back at all the stuff he’s done, I can’t actually think of a single one off the top of my head where he gave a bad or even a mediocre performance. Well, maybe Manderlay but he was only in that for a couple minutes and that movie kind of sucked anyway.

You really should watch it. It stands out for me with one of the best car chases filmed and that loving jaw-dropping shock close to the end.

(I don't even want to put it in a spoiler tag it's such a great moment in film)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

You really should watch it. It stands out for me with one of the best car chases filmed and that loving jaw-dropping shock close to the end.

(I don't even want to put it in a spoiler tag it's such a great moment in film)

Yeah, it took a second for it to register when I saw it, like "wait, hang on. What?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anybody ready for more Cage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxewWTynZE

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jesus, how much money does he owe?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
That looks interesting, though?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sorcerer is the movie that went up against Star Wars and should have won. It's as tense as you'd expect a movie about driving a truck laden with nitroglycerine across rough country to be.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

Sorcerer is the movie that went up against Star Wars and should have won. It's as tense as you'd expect a movie about driving a truck laden with nitroglycerine across rough country to be.

That must have been a kind of "dawning of a new era" thing; the blockbusters coming in and ushering out the director-driven New Hollywood stuff (disclaimer: I am well aware that Spielberg and Lucas were New Hollywood era guys).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lmao this trailer doesn’t mention that this is a “movie series” being made for the Oculus Rift

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1268074176626168/

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The MSJ posted:

Anybody ready for more Cage?
sup

GonSmithe posted:

Lmao this trailer doesn’t mention that this is a “movie series” being made for the Oculus Rift

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1268074176626168/

Hm, future of cinema huh? I should google that!

Oh okay.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The idea of using VR to sit in a theater and watch something in 2D but on what you think is a bigger screen is one of the dumbest ideas in history

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Dillbag posted:

The idea of using VR to sit in a theater and watch something in 2D but on what you think is a bigger screen is one of the dumbest ideas in history

I have a PSVR and actually use it for watching movies a lot. You can lay on your back and it projects it onto a field the size of a movie screen.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I’d watch a movie made for VR (that sounds awful), and I’m not saying to get a VR machine just for using it to watch movies, but it is pretty cool if you can deal with having the headset on for 2 hours.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I guess that kind of explains why it looked like it had the Soap Opera Effect going.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

I have a PSVR and actually use it for watching movies a lot. You can lay on your back and it projects it onto a field the size of a movie screen.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I’d watch a movie made for VR (that sounds awful), and I’m not saying to get a VR machine just for using it to watch movies, but it is pretty cool if you can deal with having the headset on for 2 hours.

VR is also fantastic for 3D movies.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Say what you will, but the trailer for Black Rain feels like a trailer for three movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-bc1DZovg

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

Say what you will, but the trailer for Black Rain feels like a trailer for three movies

One of my favourite movies, at least until the point in the film where Ridley ran out of money and had to film the climactic shootout in a California vineyard with recognizable TV stuntman like Al Leong and professor Toru Tanaka. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Leong and Tanaka, but the whole ending is really jarring and out of place.

It's a shame Yusaku Matsuda died soon after the film was completed. He was badass.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Funny you say that as I'm watching it for the first time and the shot of them landing in Tokyo feels exactly like a Blade Runner vista in visual texture. What a weird feeling. The entire movie is so loving bizarre and over the top. I feel like the early dialogue is incredibly dubbed by fake accents.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

Funny you say that as I'm watching it for the first time and the shot of them landing in Tokyo feels exactly like a Blade Runner vista in visual texture. What a weird feeling. The entire movie is so loving bizarre and over the top. I feel like the early dialogue is incredibly dubbed by fake accents.

Sorry to spoil the ending lol.

I've always thought a big reason Ridley made the movie in the first place was because he visited Japan and realized he could now reshoot Blade Runner without having to build any sets.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wheat Loaf posted:

That must have been a kind of "dawning of a new era" thing; the blockbusters coming in and ushering out the director-driven New Hollywood stuff (disclaimer: I am well aware that Spielberg and Lucas were New Hollywood era guys).

That's exactly what it was. Star Wars was the bellwether moment where audiences sort of abandoned experimental filmmaking en masse and fully embraced hyper-commodified PG-13 all-audiences poo poo.

Taintrunner posted:

Black Rain is cool. I miss old Ridley.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dillbag posted:

Welcome to our sad loving future. :thumbsup:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvt41MIelDE

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly Hardcore Henry would actually have been really, really sick if it were a 360-degree VR experience and not a theatrical movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was such a great theatrical experience. You couldn’t escape it’s insanity.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I have no idea where this movie is going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ec7JVwz9Dw

This is a very timely movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHRO91qbOCI

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I have no idea where this movie is going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ec7JVwz9Dw

There's no way this wasn't made as two separate movies?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly Hardcore Henry would actually have been really, really sick if it were a 360-degree VR experience and not a theatrical movie

It would have been unwatchable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It would have been unwatchable.

how do you figure? if anything, I figure it would be visually easier to follow by a pretty solid margin, and there's a couple bits that would look loving wild in a VR headset with separate eye images (eye-stalk-decapitation for example)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Being able to free yourself from Henry's perspective would seem to completely dismantle the gimmick of the movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Every movie is theoretically a 360-degree VR experience. I can choose to stare down into my bag of popcorn instead of focusing on what the director is trying to show me. With SmartPlay® technology I can even leave the theatre and the movie will know to continue rolling for the enjoyment of the rest of the crowd.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

Being able to free yourself from Henry's perspective would seem to completely dismantle the gimmick of the movie.

i mean, wouldn't a VR version of it be kind of the opposite situation? like, I've tried VR and it gets a little nuts with regards to immersion.

Lobok posted:

Every movie is theoretically a 360-degree VR experience. I can choose to stare down into my bag of popcorn instead of focusing on what the director is trying to show me. With SmartPlay® technology I can even leave the theatre and the movie will know to continue rolling for the enjoyment of the rest of the crowd.

i am well aware that my idea would be ridiculous for 99.95% of movies. i suggested it for Hardcore Henry in particular because the whole gimmick of the movie is that it's entirely done from a cyborg's first-person POV, and turning that into VR would make that gimmick even stronger since you'd be literally seeing the movie through the protagonist's eyes instead of watching his POV on a screen. i thought the movie was a bit rear end as a flat movie, but it seems practically tailor-made to be insanely badass in this format.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i suggested it for Hardcore Henry in particular because the whole gimmick of the movie is that it's entirely done from a cyborg's first-person POV, and turning that into VR would make that gimmick even stronger since you'd be literally seeing the movie through the protagonist's eyes instead of watching his POV on a screen. i thought the movie was a bit rear end as a flat movie, but it seems practically tailor-made to be insanely badass in this format.

If you're locked into the viewpoint from the protagonist's eyes then it's not "360-degree VR." That term specifically applies to experiences where you can rotate your head to look around in any direction.

If what you mean is just pumping video into both eyes, simulating Henry's direct experiences,.. it might be a bit much, but I'd give it a shot.

edit: I'm not trying to be pedantic, just contextualizing my previous statements based on what I thought you were saying.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 5, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, wouldn't a VR version of it be kind of the opposite situation? like, I've tried VR and it gets a little nuts with regards to immersion.

i am well aware that my idea would be ridiculous for 99.95% of movies. i suggested it for Hardcore Henry in particular because the whole gimmick of the movie is that it's entirely done from a cyborg's first-person POV, and turning that into VR would make that gimmick even stronger since you'd be literally seeing the movie through the protagonist's eyes instead of watching his POV on a screen. i thought the movie was a bit rear end as a flat movie, but it seems practically tailor-made to be insanely badass in this format.

I'm just kidding around but I'm assuming everyone else who responded to you thought, like me, you meant the viewer would be in a VR world for the viewer to look or move around in. You're saying the view would be locked.

How would that actually work in practice? If the character looks around but the viewer knows their head hasn't moved does the viewer just start barfing?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Dunno how many of you own headsets but yeah, Hardcore Henry would totally be barf-central, I don't think any human brain could cope with all that perceived movement while sitting still. VR movies (that aren't just 360 video) only currently work if filmed from a fixed stationary position (Miyubi) or machinima generated in a game engine that give you the ability to freely explore (the Invisible Hours).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Trying to film something like Hardcore Henry in 360 would be a total nightmare.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Watch Killer Joe, the best movie put out that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

I'm just kidding around but I'm assuming everyone else who responded to you thought, like me, you meant the viewer would be in a VR world for the viewer to look or move around in. You're saying the view would be locked.

How would that actually work in practice? If the character looks around but the viewer knows their head hasn't moved does the viewer just start barfing?

it's kind of hard to explain, but if you've seen any 360-degree VR videos you already have a basic idea. here's one they did to promote Alien: Covenant that should basically get across what I'm thinking of here: (e: warning, this is pretty gory and kind of disturbing even flat, and I imagine it would gently caress you up bad in VR so proceed with caution if you're rolling with a headset)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKw1_l3htvA

the position of the camera in the world is locked to the neomorph's "eyes", but you can rotate the camera around (either by looking around with a headset or clicking and dragging with the mouse on flat youtube) to look around from that position.

it's not really full VR the way a VR game is, but it's probably the most workable way to do a VR movie, and what I was thinking of when I suggested what I did.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Trying to film something like Hardcore Henry in 360 would be a total nightmare.

yeah, this is the real thing that would stop it: not even Ilya Naishuller is that crazy of a motherfucker, from what I gather

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 5, 2018

• Locked thread