Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I really wish they would let us create our own minor faction. There are what, a bajillion of them? I just want a little nook in space i can call my own :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You do know that there are quite a few player-created factions in the game, yeah?

E: The goon one

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rynoto posted:

You do know that there are quite a few player-created factions in the game, yeah?

Yes but my understanding was that they were hand crafted by Frontier for a select few number of large groups (I think Frogs got one right?). Alligning myself to one of those would feel just as foreign as aligning to any procedural one. And yes I realize getting to name my own thing is effectively the exact same as choosing one at random but I want it to be mine. :qq:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Behotti posted:

Couldn't you just self destruct?

There's a self-destruct command?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Arcturas posted:

There's a self-destruct command?

Right panel my dude.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Arcturas posted:

By patrols do you just mean that one ship that sits by the base? For some reason last night it wouldn’t ever move, so I would only get shot at if it spawned as something with a turret like an anaconda or python. Eagles and vipers and asps just sat there and stared straight ahead while I bobbled to respawn skimmers.

My last run I ran into a couple ships shooting at me, that's why I called it a patrol. One was a security service Anaconda, not sure what the other was. After so many runs without incident, it just took me by surprise to have things shooting at me so I turned and ran and they chased me a good way before finally ending me. I had to quit for the night anyway, but next time I'll check which ship(s) are there before getting too close.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blind Rasputin posted:

Although a part of me sometimes wonders if they put something like this in the game for a few weeks (or just leave it once found) so people can amass cash and enjoy the new stuff a little bit.

Yeah, that's why it always takes a month or two to patch them out: they can tell the grognards it's a bug their working on, but never bring down the banhammer on people who partake in these :turianass: exploits. :turianass:

You can also tell they don't really care about the cash fountains because when real exploits happen, they patch within days of it going public and ban people who get caught doing them.

Knifegrab posted:

I really wish they would let us create our own minor faction. There are what, a bajillion of them? I just want a little nook in space i can call my own :<

This already exists and we have a faction in-game: the Diamond Frogs. We even have our own swag now. There are even plans for actual community-related stuff in the game like guildchat! Coming this year, supposedly. And we get our own carrier! :getin:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Despite never having actually cared enough to mess with the whole DF bgs manipulation I still have to have a childish giggle at Goat-Xihe every time I see it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

They'll just say "delta foxtrot sierra".

i have an important question about prefixing my ship name with 420

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

i have an important question about prefixing my ship name with 420

Exactly what you think will happen, will happen. Except it'll be four-two-zero, not four-twenty.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

I have 4 missile rack's, how do I fire them 1 at a time instead of a big dick quad-volley?

Dwesa posted:

Assign them to different fire groups and set them as primary or secondary weapons.

Thank you.

Ark fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 5, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ark posted:

I have 4 missile rack's, how do I fire them 1 at a time instead of a big dick quad-volley?
Assign them to different fire groups and set them as primary or secondary weapons.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Behotti posted:

Couldn't you just self destruct?

I think what I'm doing is faster, no need to wait for the ship to over heat.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

wasn’t the skimmer farmer thing in an earlier version and frontier patched it out? wonder what made it come back

i don’t think i’m going to play elite today i hope they don’t patch it out before i get to try it

I distinctly remember a "fix" of sorts when after you take 4 missions of the same type, they will no longer spawn on mission board. However this is no longer the case and board-flipping works better than ever.

On other note: whats the deal with outfits? They wear them over the flightsuit which is odd and weird. On other hand now that i've seen the outfits, just the flightsuit looks naked.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sekenr posted:

I distinctly remember a "fix" of sorts when after you take 4 missions of the same type, they will no longer spawn on mission board. However this is no longer the case and board-flipping works better than ever.

On other note: whats the deal with outfits? They wear them over the flightsuit which is odd and weird. On other hand now that i've seen the outfits, just the flightsuit looks naked.
There aren't really any other ways to do it if you want the flightsuit to remain sealed?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I don't know, seems odd to me. If you want to look pretty, IMO it makes more sense to make fancier flightsuits rathar than put a whole set of clothing including boots over the flightsuit.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sekenr posted:

I don't know, seems odd to me. If you want to look pretty, IMO it makes more sense to make fancier flightsuits rathar than put a whole set of clothing including boots over the flightsuit.

Way I understand it, the suit is designed to be pretty modular. There's probably a whole bunch of add-ons like that specifically designed to worn over/replace bits of the suit while maintaining seal integrity. Not everybody is going to want to traipse around in a bodyglove.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Says you

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Re: outfits

Sometimes when I’m on the bridge of my Corvette, I really wish we could wear like, fleet officer uniforms and whatnot. I mean looking like Han Solo all the time is cool, but maybe I want to wear a jacket with epaulettes once and a while.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Is there a way to look up somewhere how far along in ranks you are for federation prior to doing the next fed rank-up mission? I’m sitting at chief petty 100% but unsure how many more missions I need to grind to get to corvette territory.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Skimmer gravy train is over, they've disabled the missions.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gently caress

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
gently caress, I earned half of my A-fitted Type-10 last night, and figured I'd do the other half this morning.

Shoulda stayed up late :smith:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I bought a Chieftain because it looked cool but what do I do with it now?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Is that confirmed? Sometimes the mission board just does that. drat glad I spent four hours watching Man in the High Castle and shooting skimmers last night then.

Edit: welp. It makes sense that wouldn’t last long. That was stupidly dangerous easy money and rank.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 5, 2018

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Trustworthy posted:

gently caress, I earned half of my A-fitted Type-10 last night, and figured I'd do the other half this morning.

Shoulda stayed up late :smith:

If you still have some missions in your transaction screen it will let you complete those and turn them in, you just won't be able to get new ones.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is that confirmed? Sometimes the mission board just does that. drat glad I spent four hours watching Man in the High Castle and shooting skimmers last night then.
Seems so. This morning I couldn't take any skimmer missions from the board. I kept getting "Failed to perform mission transaction" errors, tried switching game types and also exiting out completely. I just checked now and there are just pirate massacre missions, not skimmer ones any more.

I also somehow managed to get halfway through Federation Rank 11 (Post Captain -> Rear Admiral) after only doing 5 round trips of skimmer missions. Diiiid they change it so now Reputation++++++ give more progress, or higher ranked missions give more progress? Because when I was doing Imperial missions, they were like 3 missions per 1%.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 5, 2018

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

CapnBry posted:

Seems so. This morning I couldn't take any skimmer missions from the board. I kept getting "Failed to perform mission transaction" errors, tried switching game types and also exiting out completely. I just checked now and there are just pirate massacre missions, not skimmer ones any more.

I also somehow managed to get halfway through Federation Rank 11 (Post Captain -> Rear Admiral) after only doing 5 round trips of skimmer missions. Diiiid they change it so now Reputation++++++ give more progress, or higher ranked missions give more progress? Because when I was doing Imperial missions, they were like 3 missions per 1%.

I think the reputation/influence stuff is a little messed up. When I choose rep++++ as a mission reward I get a lot of rep but when I choose a money donation rep++++ it only gives a little rep.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh holy poo poo that takes a lot more missions than I thought. I was wondering how far I’d get after ~10 of those round trips and I’m still hunting down rank up missions to advance.

Anything good in these systems you get permits for? Ross 128 and PLX 695, Vega?

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Why are they so against people earning money? If I'm flying around in a 300mil spaceboat I should be able to earn a ton of spacebux!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It confuses me too because maybe their data says different but if they intend to support the game with the store: the only time I go buy cosmetics is when I get new fancy ships. This would lead that an ingame gold rush leads to more money in their pocket. Anecdotally, at least.

I really don’t like doing gold rushes anymore because I’ve done enough to be sick of any of them, really, so I’d add myself to being seemingly the 100000th voice of “just increase payouts/scale payouts so all actions are worth doing instead of the flavor of the day gold rush.” I can only roleplay/headcanon so many worthless missions before I’m going to be bored again.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i am glad i will apparently never be able to accrue appreciable money in this game. is it like bitcoin? did i miss the bubble?

i have a viper 3 or whatever and like 100k credits and no idea how to make more.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i am glad i will apparently never be able to accrue appreciable money in this game. is it like bitcoin? did i miss the bubble?

i have a viper 3 or whatever and like 100k credits and no idea how to make more.
There is always some bubble, just wait until next update or until someone finds some weird messed up system.
Also, you can probably do rare commodities runs or do the community goals.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you're just looking for a general flow, ostensibly the idea is:

open up a station's bulletin board, pick a mission you'd like to do (or better yet, 20 missions you'd like to do), complete those missions, turn them in for cash money

the more missions you do for a particular contact at a particular station (picked from the left sidebar when scrolling through missions, don't forget you can scroll through the contacts too!), the higher their reputation bar goes, and every time you hit a new section on the reputation bar their payouts for missions inflate.

pick more missions for higher payouts, get more cash money.

the unfortunate reality is although the mission board payouts are better than they've ever been, they're still pretty anemic compared to the sheer amount of spacebux you need to get anything at the high end of the game, i think out of some misguided sense of frontier wanting to keep people playing the game for long term periods instead of getting a solid gold anaconda after a few days of playing. so barring the latest gold rush exploits like the one that just got patched out, the fastest and most consistent ways to make money are generally things that don't involve the bulletin board at all (commodity trading, bounty hunting, road to riches exploring)

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 5, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I forgot how I got most of my original cash flow (mix of bounty, combat bonds, and data missions, I think), but I ended up with a explorohauler. Went out to the Star of India, came back with enough for a fully equipped DBX, engineered it, and said gently caress doing stuff with stations and proceeded to end up getting lost in the black.

That said, I heard the specific glitch for the recent gold rush was you could get credit for multiple missions at one base instead of having to travel to the others (which ok, fine, that's a legit bug there). At least Frontier said "if you made money that way, we won't take it away."

They do need to reconfigure how things pay out.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 5, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Behotti posted:

Why are they so against people earning money? If I'm flying around in a 300mil spaceboat I should be able to earn a ton of spacebux!

Because at the end of the day, Braben's vision is of a Firefly-like, Han Solo-analogue, drifting from port to port, never enough money to fix the ship or buy enough ammo, having to take morally-questionable jobs to make ends meet.

Unfortunately you can't really do that in an online multiplayer game, so they just keep nerfing payouts because they think everyone should stay in a sidewinder forever. :rolleye:

Dwesa posted:

There is always some bubble, just wait until next update or until someone finds some weird messed up system.
Also, you can probably do rare commodities runs or do the community goals.

This. Or just do the Road to Riches.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Cowcaster posted:

if you're just looking for a general flow, ostensibly the idea is:

open up a station's bulletin board, pick a mission you'd like to do (or better yet, 20 missions you'd like to do), complete those missions, turn them in for cash money

the more missions you do for a particular contact at a particular station (picked from the left sidebar when scrolling through missions, don't forget you can scroll through the contacts too!), the higher their reputation bar goes, and every time you hit a new section on the reputation bar their payouts for missions inflate.

pick more missions for higher payouts, get more cash money.

the unfortunate reality is although the mission board payouts are better than they've ever been, they're still pretty anemic compared to the sheer amount of spacebux you need to get anything at the high end of the game, i think out of some misguided sense of frontier wanting to keep people playing the game for long term periods instead of getting a solid gold anaconda after a few days of playing. so barring the latest gold rush exploits like the one that just got patched out, the fastest and most consistent ways to make money are generally things that don't involve the bulletin board at all (commodity trading, bounty hunting, road to riches exploring)

In addition to what cowcaster said, the other important thing to do is getting high reputation with the a particular system's faction. The higher the rep, the better the mission rewards. Being "Ally" means they offer you 5-6 million credit missions, while being "Cordial" means you're earning 100k missions. So pick a home system and stick to it.

The other important thing is mission stacking. You earn much more money taking 10 of the same mission going to the same place, then just running that mission over and over again.

This is Why gold rushes get so lucrative. You find some station out in the middle of nowhere that offers lots of the same mission type, then stack up 20 of them, and repeat. (Data Courier missions are the best for this).

Unfortunately stackable missions are consistently boring. FDev has slowly been taking away mission stacking of all the fun jobs (aka killing things).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Because at the end of the day, Braben's vision is of a Firefly-like, Han Solo-analogue, drifting from port to port, never enough money to fix the ship or buy enough ammo, having to take morally-questionable jobs to make ends meet.

What gives you this idea? The Elite Dangerous I play is one in which factions are happy to throw money at you for zero-risk jobs, like "Take a telegram one jump over".

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

My get rich long and hard way thing went like this: done missions in sidey until I could afford an adder, than someone posted a basic rares routine which allowed me to make MILLIONS (like 1 mil per long and tedious run) which blown my mind. I moved on to cobra, continued to do rares until I bought a type 6. That didn't last long, thankfully because there was a community goal which put AspX for 20% discount, so t6 + savings were enough to buy one. I than hosed off to Sag A for 3 long months and upon my return I had TENS OF MILLIONS. Which allowed me to buy a barely serviceble Clipper. Than Sothis happened, first fun Sothis with long slave smuggling runs while being hunted, than the ridiculous but easy slavescumming. Than there was this bug with community goals where if you wait long enough you get top reward (got it by accident, initial reward was so meager I didn't feel like collecting). Than first skimmers happened, than datalink scan missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I played the game the "legit" way in the beginning. I got a well equipped AspX and a Type7 doing things like selling rare goods and bounty hunting. After that I just couldn't see myself doing the same missions hundreds of times to get an A rated Anaconda.

• Locked thread