Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

I think the major thing there is that Primals are born from a need and at least at the moment the WoL is present, active and going places. It's sort of hard to need to summon the WoL when you can just put some tomestones under a cardboard box and you'll find them trapped there in the morning.

I need to cap on Mendacity. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Schneider Heim posted:

Awesome, I'm a murderhobo powered by the world itself

In the Heavensward intro, the WoL is the dude in the 1.0 cover art? Is that the canon appearance?

Whenever they need to show the WoL in official materials, it's an older version of the 1.0 guy. He's also in the ARR cinematic and the SB cinematic. He's not canon, more of a stand-in.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm waiting for us to eventually have to fight a primal version of ourselves. At this point, the WoL is really well known all around the world. They fight the Garleans and win nearly every time they do it. That kind of legendary power is eventually bound to appeal to someone with an excess of aether crystals and a lack of common sense.

This will basically be the climax of the last story update they apply to the game before it sunsets.

The need for Primal WoL to be summoned is because We Have To Punch The Moon before it can go Majora's Mask on Hydaelin. Then once the moon punching is done there's still a primal us so we have to punch it to end things properly.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I just went back to playing and finished the most recent MSQ.

Relevant to this and WoL-talk, I hereby declare Asahi to be the single most dangerous villain we will ever face because he really truly knows we only know how to solve problems with violence.

Anyway I grabbed some kickin' rad screenshots.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Argas posted:

Whenever they need to show the WoL in official materials, it's an older version of the 1.0 guy. He's also in the ARR cinematic and the SB cinematic. He's not canon, more of a stand-in.

I haven't seen the ARR cinematic in full (I think it's the one where Alphinaud's granddad beats Bahamut or something?), but 1.0 guy was the one the woman was fighting (or was it the Samurai)? I thought he was an actual story character.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mazed posted:

I just went back to playing and finished the most recent MSQ.

Relevant to this and WoL-talk, I hereby declare Asahi to be the single most dangerous villain we will ever face because he really truly knows we only know how to solve problems with violence.

What armor is this because now I think I know what I want to wear when I do monk

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Schneider Heim posted:

I haven't seen the ARR cinematic in full (I think it's the one where Alphinaud's granddad beats Bahamut or something?), but 1.0 guy was the one the woman was fighting (or was it the Samurai)? I thought he was an actual story character.

He basically shows up in the big CGI vid that introduces each main game patch.

In 2.0 he was a warrior (as seen in the Calamity cinematic and the ARR opener).
In 3.0 he arrives in Ishgard and suits up as a dragoon to fight off the dragon hordes.
in 4.0 he's a monk sparring on top of the statue of Rhalgr.

Basically he's the stand-in for the PC rather than a character in his own right*

*until the ending of 3.0 decides to play with the idea a bit more directly

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

All the WoD are counterparts of the npcs we saw in the Bahamut/ARR intro cinematic, not just Dirtlander.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

What armor is this because now I think I know what I want to wear when I do monk

Good news, it's the monk 70 AF. You get it for free when you finish the quest line.

It might be one of the best-looking sets in the whole game. :v: The WoL Midlander guy is wearing it in the SB cinematic. Male characters do indeed get that tattoo he's sporting with it.

e. Steal my whole glamour. Third pic has Thavnairan Sarouel (jet black), Cashmere Boots (soot black) and High House Cloche (no dye) as accessories.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In the 2.0 intro, his party is composed of characters that appeared in the 1.0 intro also, iirc there's only one character that didn't carry over. Its a cool touch and a sweet little reference since the Carteneau FMV was the ending cinematic to 1.0 as much as it was a teaser to 2.0. They didn't show up in the HW or SB intros so I just assume they died. Don't read any spoilers.

Also if you wanna watch the Stormblood intro that one is safe spoiler-wise. They kinda hosed up with Heavensward because that FMV made a fantastic endcap to 2.55 but never should have been the intro movie.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The WoL being a primal makes sense at a glance, but kind of falls apart when you remember that Garleans (and Scions with their magic goggles) can see aether. You'd think one of the ones you run into would say something about that at some point, or Thancred would merk you while you were still a baby level 5 world-eater, or something.

I'm quite fond of the idea that the Warrior of Light is the main character in an MMO, personally. Though I can't see them going for the Panzer Dragoon Saga twist unless they're sunsetting the game anyways.

ARR Dragoon job quest spoilers but, You totally turn into a primal of Haldrath for a few seconds to dunk on Estinien, almost exactly like the Heavensward do. So the WoL being a primal of some kind isn't out of the question.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The SB cinematic is my favorite, it's just the most anime thing. HW is really cool in a dark way, too.

I am kind of sick of the English voice-acting, could you replace it with Japanese voices, or is that impossible to do or bannable? I wanna hear Shuichi Ikeda as Lahabrea...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Schneider Heim posted:

I am kind of sick of the English voice-acting, could you replace it with Japanese voices, or is that impossible to do or bannable? I wanna hear Shuichi Ikeda as Lahabrea...

have you tried looking in the game's settings

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
saw this gif on reddit earlier. This might be difficult to figure out since they're barely in the shot, but what is Saiko Entei wearing? I don't know that I've seen that before.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Thumbtacks posted:

saw this gif on reddit earlier. This might be difficult to figure out since they're barely in the shot, but what is Saiko Entei wearing? I don't know that I've seen that before.

Looks like Emerald Carbuncle gear from the Mog Station

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh i didn't know that was a thing. it's probably that, yeah.

i havent played since august, so many things are new

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

I figure part of it is those Crystals of Light you collect in ARR and carry around. There's got to be a shitload of aether in those things.

The crystals are more just a sign that the WoL just killed some big primal and slammed its go-juice into a convenient receptacle.

Plus dragon dad drained those crystals and gave the aether back to crystal mama since blessing you was killing her.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Schneider Heim posted:

The SB cinematic is my favorite, it's just the most anime thing. HW is really cool in a dark way, too.

It is possible to run JP voices with EN text. Check your settings.

Just be aware that the English text does not necessarily map 1:1 to what's being said in Japanese.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

TheHeadSage posted:

Nah, even with Aetherytes, teleporting is still a huge drain on a person. Only adventurers can really do it, and even then they can only do it once or twice a day. I might be remembering wrong, but at one point in the Stormblood MSQ an NPC was floored that the WoL could teleport from one continent to another, which is why all the other NPCs mentioning they need to take a boat to meet you in Kugane.

The fisher guildmaster lends his assistance with something alike to "Oh i've been in Kugane before in my youth, i'll meet you there" for the Stormblood quest line, implying that he's attuned himself to the aetheryte there and is porting over instead of taking a months-long boat ride there.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It is possible to run JP voices with EN text. Check your settings.

Just be aware that the English text does not necessarily map 1:1 to what's being said in Japanese.

Also it doesn't subtitle the incidental background voices, so you miss some of the crowd noise dialogue in big scenes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Worth it for the Authentic Doman exp.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Hien's English VA being an actual Japanese dude helps with that.

Plus Gosetsu sounding like Uncle Iroh.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Speaking of the cinematics, is the samurai in the SB opener supposed to be anyone in particular? Don't recall seeing him in either the msq or the sam quests.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

small bird pudding posted:

Speaking of the cinematics, is the samurai in the SB opener supposed to be anyone in particular? Don't recall seeing him in either the msq or the sam quests.

It's just the generic WOL in Samurai costume after switching from Monk, presumably.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Mazed posted:

Your eyebrow game is strong af

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

unseenlibrarian posted:

It's just the generic WOL in Samurai costume after switching from Monk, presumably.

It's a little unclear since the cutscene samurai has longer hair, no scars, and no beard scruff, but maybe he hit up Jandelain before hopping on the boat.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thundarr posted:

It's a little unclear since the cutscene samurai has longer hair, no scars, and no beard scruff, but maybe he hit up Jandelain before hopping on the boat.

Jandelain makes you beautiful!

I wish we got more quests with him, his was hilarious too.

Also while we're talking about derplander, I wish they would give us the 'scruffy chiseled Hollywood' face from the Stormblood FMV.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I wish they'd make the cinematic WoL literally anything other than a male midlander.
Yes, that even includes a lala.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Jandelain makes you beautiful!

I wish we got more quests with him, his was hilarious too.

He gets some Mogmail quests, if you haven’t done them yet. In them you help him pass the buck on taking over his Noble Family to his little brother so he can stick with his true passion - hair.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also while we're talking about derplander, I wish they would give us the 'scruffy chiseled Hollywood' face from the Stormblood FMV.

You mean making him look just like Finn Bálor?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm enjoying the added complexity of AST over WHM, and think I may run AST as my new main class (WHM is great, but it's rather simplistic), but could anyone give me a rundown on which classes like which cards? I get that Bole is for the tank and Balance is for whichever dps has annoyed me the least, and goons told me Spear is really good for bards, but is there a good list of who to give the non-Bole, non-Balance cards to?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Balance is your damage card. Give it to the person on your parser that is doing the most damage. If you're not running one just try giving it to like a Monk.

Spire restores TP. A good class to give this too would be a Monk in an AOE pull because they can burn TP really fast especially if they're Perfect Balance Rockbreakering.

Spear is a crit card, so use it on a Monk if you have one to build up chakra faster.

Arrow is your speed card. Definitely give this one to like a Monk for that hot, hot fist of the north star action.

Bole reduces damage. You may think this goes on a tank, but that's where your wrong. The game is already balanced around tanks being able to survive without it so give it to someone else. Maybe a melee dps class so they can stay in range of a mechanic and deal more damage, like a Monk for example.

Use Ewers on yourself so you have more MP to cast more spells on your Monk.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I just give all cards to myself.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Give Ewer to the WHM > yourself > non-BLM caster DPS.

Bole goes on people with Prey mechanics.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Real answer:

Spire is useless if it's not an aoe situation, road it or shuffle it.

Spear goes best to MNK, BRD, and NIN imo, but anyone can use the crit boost really, treat it like discount balance.

Ewer is the mp card. If someone needs mp that's NOT a BLM, DRK, or any of the non mp using classes, toss it their way, otherwise burn it.

Bole is usually useless unless your tank is doing big pulls with no cds (bad tank) or they are severely undegeared.

Arrow is gotta go fast card. Give it to MNK or NIN for lols. The real answer is casters mind it the least. RDM and SMN can deal, and BLM loves it.

Balance goes to whoever you like the most.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Bard and Monk both have abilities that proc based on landing critical hits, so they're the prime candidates for Spear. I imagine that Arrow is a really good buff for Black Mage and probably Summoner because it can help them get their spells off faster and maybe makes DoT damage occur more frequently?? For that matter Arrow is probably helpful to Samurai for setting up iaijutsu faster and Red Mage for building up their meters faster

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Completed my mini-goal of unlocking all Jobs. :toot: Why haven't I heard anyone talk about the NIN bunny spell before? :v: Is there any other "dud" combos for the Ninjitsu, or is bunny what you get any time you mess up?

AST seems cool but I have such a hard time getting into healing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mysidian Rabbit is the only dud mudra.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Cephas posted:

For that matter Arrow is probably helpful to Samurai for setting up iaijutsu faster

It is especially useful on single targets and pretty good in AoE when Invigorate's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

To clarify, DRK's Darkside buff (which they should be in 24/7) prevents all MP regen, and a BLM will either be in Astral Fire (no MP regen) or Umbral Ice (will regen their entire MP bar in 6 seconds anyway).