Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Email is much easier to keep around since it's mostly just dns fuckery. I think I might have a working rocketmail address somewhere (bought by Yahoo in 97)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
My first email was through Excite, which seems to have not updated their website since 1998

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

AOL Mail is just a free standalone service now like Hotmail.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bird in a Blender posted:

I thought AOL finally shut down, but I guess not. What happens to people's email when a company goes bust? I guess all the big original email services are still kicking. Is hotmail still around, or did that all get rolled into MSN email addresses?

They shut down AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) in December, that's probably what you heard about

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Remember the "If I Did It?" OJ interview done like 12 years ago that never saw the light of day? It's back and Fox is gonna air it

I cannot wait to watch this, I don't even care how much of a trainwreck it will be :allears:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I think what everyone is missing about Nate Silver is that he is a class A jagon herb

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hello I have found the worst take of all time

https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/970136789829767168?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grayson Allen is everything wrong with Duke.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you do not watch college basketball, "everything the world could throw at him" in this case was "repeatedly being suspended for intentionally tripping opposing players"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

iospace posted:

Grayson Allen is everything wrong with Duke.
also he is clearly a cloned Ted Cruz

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's impossible to be a more unlikable scumbag than Grayson Allen without being involved in actual crime

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Zeeman posted:

My first email was through Excite, which seems to have not updated their website since 1998

i still have a 20 year old excite email address to sign up for poo poo that will spam me. Still works too but holy lol does my firewall go crazy when i go there

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Grayson Allen is a dickbag but he’s our national championship game winning dickbag. I can’t imagine anyone who’s not a Duke fan liking him though so wtf Seth Davis.

It’s like Bruce Bowen, although some how that dude parlayed being disliked by everyone into a TV gig.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Grayson Allen is the Worst
https://twitter.com/josh94rmc/status/970168040376688640

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
That’s not even true. I could still throw a lot of poo poo at Grayson Allen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Aside from his obvious unlikability, is he an NBA quality player?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Aside from his obvious unlikability, is he an NBA quality player?

Given how hated he is as a Duke grad and the amount of talent he possesses scouts project him as more of an NBA owner.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Coco13 posted:

Given how hated he is as a Duke grad and the amount of talent he possesses scouts project him as more of an NBA owner.

that or a GM if he knows a bit of computer skills or majored in finance

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Coco13 posted:

He easily could have been a lottery pick if he would have entered the draft after his Sophomore season, when his basic stats were 21/5/4 and a couple of steals per game with shooting splits of .466/.417/.849. He just hasn't improved at all since then.

Dude must not care that much about either A) money, or B) having an NBA career. The mock drafts I've seen have him at the end of the first round now.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 4, 2018

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Crazy Ted posted:

Dude must not care that much about either A) money, or B) having an NBA career. The mock drafts I've seen have him at the end of the first round now.

He's the kind of stupid dipshit rear end in a top hat who buys into Coach K's stupid dipshit rear end in a top hat nonsense wholesale.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Just remembered and lolled at that tantrum he threw for fouling out or whatever

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

He easily could have been a lottery pick if he would have entered the draft after his Sophomore season, when his basic stats were 21/5/4 and a couple of steals per game with shooting splits of .466/.417/.849. He just hasn't improved at all since then.

I'm sure part of it is he doesn't care that much about A and B but his sophomore year he was definitely relying a lot on his athleticism/driving ability to score and that would've translated like poo poo to the NBA. He's become more of a shooter this year (although shooting at worse % than two years ago) which is the role he'd have to have in the NBA.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm amazed that Allen is still in college, I feel like I've been hearing about him being a shitlord for a decade now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm amazed that Allen is still in college, I feel like I've been hearing about him being a shitlord for a decade now.

That’s the power of Duke (and also the high turnover of stars in college hoops)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Inspector_666 posted:

Duke's endless stream of white fuccbois naturally blends together over the years into an indistinguishable mass.

You're probably thinking Grayson was pulling cheap poo poo against UNLV and hell I don't blame you

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Duke's endless stream of white fuccbois naturally blends together over the years into an indistinguishable mass.

You're probably thinking Grayson was pulling cheap poo poo against UNLV and hell I don't blame you

Is the vat that keeps producing Plumlees still in operation?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Crazy Ted posted:

He definitely hosed up by not going out sophomore year. He started being projected as top 10 at the start of his junior year, but fell hard to the point I was seeing him in the 40s on some boards. Some of this was reputation and one of the least predictable things is how much NBA teams actually care about that sort of thing, but I would say he made the right move coming back this year if it means he sticks in the first.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
He is not an NBA player

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/cmasisak22/status/970676402549874688

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I mean Duke and UNLV did play against each other last year :v:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticHQ/status/970709388280266752

among other things it says they're working on boston and la sites, plus increased coverage of us/mexico/uk soccer

last week they announced they're opening sites for arizona and kansas city

they want to cover every major us team by the end of the year

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 5, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Man, I was just thinking that if The Athletic had Premier League coverage it would be perfect.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what exactly is The Athletic supposed to be? A more local version of SI? I've just heard the name mentioned a few times, but not much else.

I signed up for a few trial and was immediately greeted with a nice story on the Philadelphia Unions youth players.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So what exactly is The Athletic supposed to be? A more local version of SI? I've just heard the name mentioned a few times, but not much else.

I signed up for a few trial and was immediately greeted with a nice story on the Philadelphia Unions youth players.

Ideally a sports news site where your users pay a subscription to pay for it but currently operating under a ton of VC while they grow it out.

They are bringing in a ton of writers for baseball and some college in underserved media markets and writers for all sports in major markets.

It's essentially a sports-based news with more local focused coverage.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

Ideally a sports news site where your users pay a subscription to pay for it but currently operating under a ton of VC while they grow it out.

They are bringing in a ton of writers for baseball and some college in underserved media markets and writers for all sports in major markets.

It's essentially a sports-based news with more local focused coverage.

It's also a completely unsustainable business model predicated on VC "disruption" horseshit. The company as we see it today won't exist in a few years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Eric the Mauve posted:

He is not an NBA player

Probably not. There's always a place for a spot up shooter in the league but it remains to be seen if he can hit from the NBA line.

I actually think he could end up a Matt Dellavedova style player but it's going to take the right team (the Spurs, or, Europe) and coach that gets that out of him and him wanting to do it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Timby posted:

It's also a completely unsustainable business model predicated on VC "disruption" horseshit. The company as we see it today won't exist in a few years.

Why do you feel the need to say this every time The Athletic comes up? Are you trying to convince people not to subscribe? Like, you pay for it by the month and it's a collection of sports news stories that are consumed in real time. So if I'm a subscriber, and in 2 years The Athletic shuts down, I wasn't duped or ripped off. I got my money's worth. Are you mad that the guys who started it said he's trying to put newspapers out of business, a business model that is at best 5-10 years behind the times? I just don't get the hate. Maybe it's unsustainable (every company is during its growth stage) but who cares? What's the better alternative? Pivoting to video?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Probably not. There's always a place for a spot up shooter in the league but it remains to be seen if he can hit from the NBA line.

I actually think he could end up a Matt Dellavedova style player but it's going to take the right team (the Spurs, or, Europe) and coach that gets that out of him and him wanting to do it.

Yeah he's like a lot of borderline guys where it depends entirely on who drafts him. He could bomb out of the league in one contract or he could be an obnoxious bench guy for like a decade.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Of course subscribers won't be ripped off when VC people stop pouring money on the Athletic, only the writers will.

Subscribers won't be hosed unless they actually do achieve that monopoly they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

Owners of companies speaking like SV dipshits is dumb, but almost everyone gets into a business to try and carve out their spot and take people from competitors.

If they fail then they fail, but it's not like they arent giving me what I want in terms of coverage so who gives a poo poo what their owner thinks. Like I also pay for WaPo digital because I *generally* respect their reporting and want to support it. Just like I like the guys they have on the Athletic Chicago site and want to support them.

Disruption isnt in and of itself lovely, like Uber isn't lovely because they are competing with taxi's. They are lovely because of their lovely business practices and the model of gig economies in general.

All disruption is just more competition. And this competition is just hey if you wanna give us :10bux: we have paid reporters who cover teams you like.

Unless they are found out to have extremely lovely practices their owners words are just that, words.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Of course subscribers won't be ripped off when VC people stop pouring money on the Athletic, only the writers will.

Subscribers won't be hosed unless they actually do achieve that monopoly they want.

Because newspapers papers or websites certainly don't fail, have to cut payroll or shut down. Writers won't be screwed unless they like don't get paid or something.

Not much different than any other writing job.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 5, 2018