Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
So Hard hasn't kicked my rear end just yet. I jumped on a couple of buildings to save that stupid train, but otherwise things went swimmingly. Even on Hard the Hazardous Mechs are super good at removing threats from the board (it helps to have an Abe with +1 reactor). I wonder what my reward is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Gundam Wing time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
As hazardous mechs, if you are on 1 hp and do an attack that does 2 self damage, and proc 1 hp of healing, do you end up on 1 hp, or zero?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

As hazardous mechs, if you are on 1 hp and do an attack that does 2 self damage, and proc 1 hp of healing, do you end up on 1 hp, or zero?

I don't believe you can go into negatives.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You end up with 1, and your pilot stays alive. It's great.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dang, this means I have been playing them entirely wrong.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fangz posted:

Dang, this means I have been playing them entirely wrong.

yeah the vampire mechs own

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What's the best team to train up a pilot to max? Blitz?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Argue posted:

The Hazardous Mechs' leap mech will level a man insanely fast, especially if it's Silica doing two death jumps every round.

Does anyone have any good tips for the Unwitting Allies achievement? I'm sure I'm missing something but the Steel Judoka seem...not very good at precise positioning, compared to Flame Behemoths or even Rift Walkers.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Argue posted:

XP comes from kills basically, so whatever is getting last hits for you. Often I find that to be artillery, and I'll sometimes put new pilots in them to level and then move them to a more specialty synergizing mech when they've learned a skill or two.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Argue posted:

Either Blitzkrieg or Zenith Guard are pretty good choices (out of the squads I've beaten the game with), since in those cases the path of least resistance funnels XP to the Prime mech.

Really Pants posted:

Does anyone have any good tips for the Unwitting Allies achievement? I'm sure I'm missing something but the Steel Judoka seem...not very good at precise positioning, compared to Flame Behemoths or even Rift Walkers.
It's probably easiest with enemies like Fireflies, Beetles, or even Centipedes that target in a line rather than those that target a particular square. I think it might be easier in Pinnacle since that adds a bunch of hostile robots, too. Other than that, the singular thing is to be patient and wait for opportunities. The judoka is a pretty complex squad, and you tend to have a lot of complicated lines of play to consider if there is more than a couple of enemies on the field.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've been playing on Normal since release and have a few wins.

I bumped it down to Easy to try for a few achievements, and wow, it's... really easy. I breezed through a four-island Rift Walkers victory with full grid and three perfect islands (missed on one because I mis-read the requirements).

I think I might even do the rest of the achievement unlocks on Normal.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Really Pants posted:

The Hazardous Mechs' leap mech will level a man insanely fast, especially if it's Silica doing two death jumps every round.

The gravity tractor is good and does work but the rest... The judo bot has issues with damage output and attack pattern. Being able to move an alien 2 tiles in one turn is technically powerful, and armor is nice, but being unable to drop an enemy on top of another really seems to cripple it AND seem a betrayal to the player of what it can really do because I'm convinced that's the first thing everyone thinks. I understand why it's not (what do you do if there's not enough room? What's the error handling for that) but it's underwhelming, especially with only 1 damage out of the gate compared to most Prime-class weapons. And the artillery...the base and flame artillery have the same push pattern but the Joduko artillery is a lot more hazardous to your cities which means it can be hard to use.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can at least win with them on Easy, although it costs me more grid than it should. I just can't get all those ducks in a row so the Vek have just the right health, damage, and positions for me to shuffle them in place to kill each other without me blocking their shots, or killing them myself.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Unwitting Allies is probably one of the few achievements that's harder to get on easy, since there are fewer Vek. It's probably easiest on normal?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

You know, between the concept and the music, sometimes this game feels like I'm playing a Netflix Original Series.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

My 2 star+core mission on ice island involves having to protect two friendly braindead minelayers. One of the first things that spawns is an explosion psion and it walks immediately into a mine - which is a freeze mine. With the flame boys.

Swapmech has +2 range on teleporter and a rock thrower - throws 2 damage rock in straight line. Rock remains as obstacle.
Firebot has 1+ range on the flames and a passive that lets people heal on kill. Can walk through enemies.
Arti bot has +2 damage on shot.

I'm not quite sure what I can do here to fully prevent damage. I think I need to sacrifice something.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mindblast posted:

My 2 star+core mission on ice island involves having to protect two friendly braindead minelayers. One of the first things that spawns is an explosion psion and it walks immediately into a mine - which is a freeze mine. With the flame boys.

Swapmech has +2 range on teleporter and a rock thrower - throws 2 damage rock in straight line. Rock remains as obstacle.
Firebot has 1+ range on the flames and a passive that lets people heal on kill. Can walk through enemies.
Arti bot has +2 damage on shot.

I'm not quite sure what I can do here to fully prevent damage. I think I need to sacrifice something.

edit didn't register the artillery +damage, never mind, ugh

but i think this solution is superior in the short run

Okay:

- punch the top scorpion back onto the spawn
- move the artillery NW two squares, fire on the spot between robot-squid-scarab
- move the swapper onto the farther of the elite flyer's target squares, swap with the elite flyer

one fewer enemy spawn next turn, damage consists of almost certainly two grid damage

one dead scorpion walking, one at 1hp

this is assuming that i'm remembering correctly and the scarab has 4hp, if it has 3hp just shoot it directly and laugh

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 5, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I feel like I don't really have a grasp on how to use the smoky boys. making GBS threads electric smoke all over the map is cool and good right up to the point where you need an enemy dead and there's smoke everywhere you could conceivably attack from. Still managed a 2-island win, but I'm guessing more will be rough.

I do have to say though, this game feels a lot more "solvable" than FTL. Part of that is deliberate design I guess, but I still haven't lost a game on Normal. Is Hard a big jump in difficulty?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I feel like I don't really have a grasp on how to use the smoky boys. making GBS threads electric smoke all over the map is cool and good right up to the point where you need an enemy dead and there's smoke everywhere you could conceivably attack from. Still managed a 2-island win, but I'm guessing more will be rough.

I do have to say though, this game feels a lot more "solvable" than FTL. Part of that is deliberate design I guess, but I still haven't lost a game on Normal. Is Hard a big jump in difficulty?

Basically Hard is just more alpha vek. Hard is much more difficult if you're trying to kill things and very slightly more difficult if you're trying to freeze everything or otherwise use control effects to win.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Smokey is all about attrition and stalling which can be better than outright killing. They also have pretty good scaling as there are lots of upgrades to do so they scale well into late-game unlike others (like Zenith) that peter off.

Don't forget to position your Mortar guy up closer so that you can use him to fart in the enemys face in a pinch where you can't kill something outright by firing in the opposite direction. Stalling (and +1 dmg) is helpful. Sometimes dropping a fat cloud was the masterstroke move I eneded to pull x off and avoid damage. Enemies will also avoid moving into a Smoke Spot so you can use it to also deny enemies moving infront of X building. Also try to maximize bump damage with Mortar.

Upgrade Path should be getting the Double Jump on Jet ASAP and +1 Dmg on Storm Generator. Shield on Pulse Mech is a close second as you can park him infront of shots, or block spawning, etc.

the hardest part smokeys have is with dealing lots of enemies early so avoid any Island with Beetle Lord or the spider-nests until your third island. It's best to start with Desert Island for obvious reasons in addition to easier boss. This lets you power-up easier than other islands.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 5, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Seems like you'd want to leave sand for a later area when you get more value from your innate bonus, compared to doing a late island without any synergy, that is. No?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

edit didn't register the artillery +damage, never mind, ugh

but i think this solution is superior in the short run

Okay:

- punch the top scorpion back onto the spawn
- move the artillery NW two squares, fire on the spot between robot-squid-scarab
- move the swapper onto the farther of the elite flyer's target squares, swap with the elite flyer

one fewer enemy spawn next turn, damage consists of almost certainly two grid damage

one dead scorpion walking, one at 1hp

this is assuming that i'm remembering correctly and the scarab has 4hp, if it has 3hp just shoot it directly and laugh

Hey thanks for this. Another perspective is great. Will give this a go when I get back from work.
I think it might be an idea to fire the arti first. That way the scorpions bump into each other for one damage. Then the flamebot can push the rightmost back onto the spawnpoint. Both should now die. Since two grid damage can't be avoided might as well get rid of them both.

Can you set a tile on fire if there's a frozen unit on it? Or does it just unfreeze?

E: smoke boy chat. Getting +1 damage on arti should be one of the first goals. Early game, 3 damage is a breakpoint. Many Vek at this stage have 2-3 hp. Deleting them in a single hit really helps keep the board clean.

Besides that, keep eyes open for an extra weapon or utility. Both the jet and pusher are prime candidates for getting their toolkit expanded imo.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 5, 2018

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I love this game, every mechanic feels tight as gently caress and well tested.

Except one, OVERPOWERING the grid is useless and having achievements tied to it is annoying.

I get that they wanted to throw something when you go over the grid limit, but it has to be something else. I especially hate that your pilots can get the +3 grid defense, completely useless.

They should just get rid of grid defense system and find an alternate reward for going over the grid limit.

Any suggestions? First one that comes to mind is giving a one time deployable shield for every 2 times you go over the grid limit.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Grimwall posted:

Except one, OVERPOWERING the grid is useless and having achievements tied to it is annoying.

I get that they wanted to throw something when you go over the grid limit, but it has to be something else. I especially hate that your pilots can get the +3 grid defense, completely useless.

They should just get rid of grid defense system and find an alternate reward for going over the grid limit.

Any suggestions? First one that comes to mind is giving a one time deployable shield for every 2 times you go over the grid limit.

I pumped many points into grid defense and it did proc once on the very last map. It didn't help anything, but it was nice. Mechanic is perfect.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Well, this was a fun run.

Custom squad of combat, laser and aegis - this gave me some decent control, and heavy damage in the laser. Isaac with +2 HP/+1 Reactor to start.

First island was a perfect, with a pod with +1 core and jumpjet, +1 core mission, and hornet boss. Mostly bought reactor upgrades, acid tank, and got a super-repair from the perfect. Jumpjet went to laser for additional control.

2nd island was rougher - took some grid damage, and had to miss an objective, so no perfect. Pod gave me Harold (went into laser, +1 move) and +1, got a rocket barrage, sold the acid tanks, and patched up grid. Put rocket barrage and a reactor on the acid one for the +2/all.

Went for the finale on two islands - wasn't too bad due to all the control, and the barrage saved my rear end from nasty blobber lobs both times.

Really enjoyed playing it like this.

Now to grind out the rest of the achievements on easy just because, then get back to normal.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Grimwall posted:

Honestly I think grid defense is fine, but the pilot trait needs to be bumped up to something like +15 or +20 to be on par with poo poo like +2 HP or +1 move.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

On my first playthrough all three starting pilots had +3 grid defense as their first skill, so I thought that one was non-random and they got something unique as the second skill.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
(thread too)

https://twitter.com/NotDracon/status/970434153048100870

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the random skills aren't a great system. there's grid defense, which sucks, and then there is everything else, which are good.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Anyone know what Lily Reed is good with? +3 move on the first turn doesn't seem that useful especially since half the vek has massive move range to rush you anyways. I think her skill would be more interesting if it let her move at turn 0 (before any vek gets to go) or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

pedro0930 posted:

Anyone know what Lily Reed is good with? +3 move on the first turn doesn't seem that useful especially since half the vek has massive move range to rush you anyways. I think her skill would be more interesting if it let her move at turn 0 (before any vek gets to go) or something.

I can see her having some use if she's using the ice thrower.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

pedro0930 posted:

She's not that great, but you get the advantage of starting her mech in a worse spot yet sending her anywhere you want without issue. Your other two mechs can take better starting spots while she does this, so essentially Lily improves your turn 1 positioning of every mech.

If you're asking what mech she compliments best, I have no idea.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

pedro0930 posted:

She's okay for a time pod drop, though I probably wouldn't pick her as my initial traveller choice. She's nice to stick on a more positional mech, for example the science ones with pull cannons, as it's often difficult to get a decent use of them turn 1. Probably could work nice with the freeze cannon too, as it'd enable rushing into some nice position to get hit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grimwall posted:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the random skills aren't a great system. there's grid defense, which sucks, and then there is everything else, which are good.

play HazMechs with Silica in the leap mech

it takes a tiny amount of cores to max out all their starting stuff and then you can pump grid def to like 40%

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 5, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

pedro0930 posted:

Anything that flies. Start her safely in the backline, she'll be able to get anywhere you need no problem.

E: nthing the grid defense perk gripe. It's not something I'd have on a pilog if I could help it. I wouldnt mind seeing this removed from the skill pool. Maybe it's easy to mod?

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 5, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Martintoney2012/status/970487513944031232

https://twitter.com/NotDracon/status/970493768943235073

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's okay having bad perks in the random level up so that it sets up interesting decisions and tradeoffs with 'this guy has a really cool special ability'. It means sometimes you might use a character with a weaker special (or none) just because they got a better levelup than your special dude.

I think the only real imbalance is the presence of the +2 grid reward in the Perfect Island options list. It's never worthwhile to pick that, because you can always get the pilot and sell them for 2 rep.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Any tips on steel judo mech absorbing 5 damage achievement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I don't know who mentioned putting the shield on start lady in the cryo artillery, but goddamn that's stupidly effective.

Also let me play around enough with the twin shot tank to finish the achievement row as well.