Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literally no-one does. That's where you put the dinner table.

So you eat in a pleasant rain coming from freshly washed dishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Azhais posted:

So you eat in a pleasant rain coming from freshly washed dishes?

wät

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Bombadilillo posted:

Note you can just put a small filter that threads into the eyepiece instead with zero chance of it failing, but you don't want your primary mirror heating up and warping. Before mentioned moon filter is on the eyepiece.

:spergin: ask me about amatuer astronomy!
Yeah... Most places won't sell that style of filter any more because they can and have failed in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5xb3b-vRd4

So, don't do that.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
mmm smells great you respirator guys are idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1cpJBtWnQg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's a drying cupboard over the sink.

I joke but yeah I saw this once years ago and was inspired by the elegance of it, so I made my own hanging drying rack that floats above the sink and saves valuable counter space in my tiny apartment. Over-sink drying racks and boiling water taps are two things that the USA should pick up from Scandinavia.

yes i know finland isn't scandinavia, but in the english-speaking world it is

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They got a decent dose and just tested one guy hahah.

quote:

Thanks for all the concern about our health! Steve went and got a lead level blood test, he has had much much more exposure than anyone else, so if he is fine everyone else at the pour should be as well.
His blood level is 7ug/dl
The US Dept of Health and Human Services recommends adult levels be kept below 10.
Symptoms aren't felt to develop until levels are 40 or higher and Chelation therapy does not usually get prescribed until it's over 50.
According to the doctors we should live to fight another day and don't have to fret about any long term issues for our health.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Free historic landmark on the remains on your home!

Let me guess: The asbestos shingles are mentioned on the sign because they were used in the lawsuit to deny compensation.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Memento posted:

Girl critical after electric shock from tap while watering garden

How does that happen? I guess it has something to do with a badly installed grounding cable on the water pipe?

I'd like to know how too. Some things relevent to WA: very anti DIY when it comes to electrical work. Pretty strict electricians here that when doing any elec work at someones house normally want to upgrade anything not to code. Our homes use copper plumbing still mainly (well most do and definitely did 30 years ago when houses in that suburb were built). Earth has to be a stake in the ground these days and is something an electrician would do if visiting for another reason. (used to be attached to an outdoor tap though)
I used to install air cons and bring an electrician around for the wiring as I wasn't allowed to do that, so I've seen them install earth stakes, fit RCDs and replace switchboards because they demanded it before installing the air con, (they would be to blame if any any electrical faults happened later, due to being the last electrician who went there, and like I said, laws are against DIY here so sparkies are responsible for everything)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 5, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SniperWoreConverse posted:

mmm smells great you respirator guys are idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1cpJBtWnQg

from the lead fumes to the plywood floating through the keel i do not think its possible to come up with a worse way of casting

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Memento posted:

Imagine getting home from work and finding out your kids were in the hospital because someone dropped an atom bomb on them.

Good boast though.
"I got a loving nuke dropped on me and it only put me in the hospital. What the hell you got?"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wobbulated posted:

Not going to lie, that made me cringe harder than anything else in the thread so far.

same, now im going to have to walk down the stairs

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Raskolnikov38 posted:

from the lead fumes to the plywood floating through the keel i do not think its possible to come up with a worse way of casting

why not line the plywood with like... aluminum sheeting or something like that?

I guess they picked "the most exposed guy" and he got a blood test that came out 7ug/dl. That's apparently "fine" and the rest aren't going to get tested.
supposedly there are no safe lead levels but I dunno. Lead stays in your bones for years I think.

the comments are p intense

What are you doing with the contaminated crucible, contaminated clothes, contaminated wood, and contaminated soil? That wood and crucible both are now highly toxic, and you definitely spilled a lot of lead into the soil....

Josh Hockman highly toxic it's lead you retard!!! You know the stuff that a lot of older city water mains are made out of the stuff that was common in water lines and homes up to the 70s the stuff that any older building is painted in!!!! highly toxic try again retard!!! lead is mildly toxic at best!! you would have to ingest a great deal of it for it to affect you !! Educate yourself retard!! God you got guys that's been walking around since the war in 1940 with lead

" If your blood level is low, that means that there isn't much in your body to get deposited! " Of course you a re an idiot. Grasp this retard; if led is already deposited there wouldn't be any left in blood for transport, not real levels that is. Calling others idiots and yet you can't wrap your idiot head around something so simple. gently caress off stupid

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

My basic chemistry learning would say lead would have to be vaporized for fumes to be a problem, and that's just steam you see.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

highly toxic it's lead you retard!!! You know the stuff that a lot of older city water mains are made out of the stuff that was common in water lines and homes up to the 70s the stuff that any older building is painted in!!!! highly toxic try again retard!!! lead is mildly toxic at best!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

goatsestretchgoals posted:

highly toxic it's lead you retard!!! You know the stuff that a lot of older city water mains are made out of the stuff that was common in water lines and homes up to the 70s the stuff that any older building is painted in!!!! highly toxic try again retard!!! lead is mildly toxic at best!

Are you eating paint chips?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Good boast though.
"I got a loving nuke dropped on me and it only put me in the hospital. What the hell you got?"

How about two nukes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

quote:

Yamaguchi, a resident of Nagasaki, was in Hiroshima on business for his employer Mitsubishi Heavy Industries when the city was bombed at 8:15 am, on August 6, 1945. He returned to Nagasaki the following day, and despite his wounds, he returned to work on August 9, the day of the second atomic bombing. That morning, whilst being berated by his supervisor as "crazy" after describing how one bomb had destroyed the city, the Nagasaki bomb detonated.[3]

He died of stomach cancer on January 4, 2010, at the age of 93.

i don't think it's possible to give a bigger gently caress-you than being atom bombed twice in a week and living another 65 years

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I hope in the gap between the flash and the shockwave hitting he got off a "I fuckin' told you"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bip Roberts posted:

Are you eating paint chips?

You mean wall candy?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zil posted:

You mean wall candy?

dont judge

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard lead paint is sweet tasting.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I think you just answered your own question. :v:

It was a bit rhetorical tbh.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zil posted:

You mean wall candy?

I was going to quote the same thing, but for the life of me I can't remember where it's from.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Synthbuttrange posted:

The early nuclear weapons programs left us with a huge quantity of potentially radioactive asbestos (especially the nuclear rocket program, funny that). They've even invented a euphemistic term for it, mixed waste.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
It's from Penny Arcade.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Came across this weedwacker based brush control contraption over the weekend.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
what edition of warhammer 40k is that legal in?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Miso Beno posted:

If I fits, I clips.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Miso Beno posted:

Blades are a standard attachment for brushcutters though? The main issue I see with that one is that a circular saw blade probably isn't designed for the lateral forces that may get applied, possibly causing it to fragment during use.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, not that blade, and not on a flexi shaft line trimmer
A proper brush cutter with a solid blade is a thing though.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 5, 2018

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

That specific incident is discussed in this documentary which for some reason is narrated by Adam West (Still a good doco):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpFSefIsZkc

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
From facebook

quote:

Thanks for installing my nbn Telstra.... But I can't turn my water tap on now!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can't or won't?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sagebrush posted:

e: then again you're from a country that puts dishes back in the cupboard while they're still wet so maybe you're equally hosed up about showers

This is actually the best thing ever and all other systems are inferior stone age BS.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

oohhboy posted:

I heard lead paint is sweet tasting.

Lead itself could be sweet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead(II)_acetate

Romans accidentally made a lead salt from boiling grape juice in lead pots.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SelenicMartian posted:

Can't or won't?

Can't, it's physically blocking the tap from turning.

Australian politicians have been arguing nonstop over the National Broadband Network since at least 2010, it's all a giant loving mess. Originally it was supposed to be a fibreoptics network that went all the way to people's houses (FTTP - fibre to the premises) providing speeds somewhere between 100 Mbit/s to 1 Gbit/s but then we had a change of government and they went "Eh, the internet isn't all that important is it? And putting into fibreoptic cables to every single house in Australia is going to be way too expensive!" so they downgraded the maximum speed to 25 Mbit/s and went with a FTTN (Fibre to the node) system where they installed fibreoptic cable to a cabinet somewhere in the neighbourhood and kept the good old fashioned copper cables to the individual houses. And that's why Australia's internet speed are currently ranked below Guam, Belarus and Slovenia. But hey, we used to be ranked below Kazakhstan but we recently moved one spot above them!

So the NBN network is poo poo, everyone knows it's poo poo, everyone knows it'll need to be replaced at some point in the future at great expense so it's a total waste of money, and the government are only going along with the scheme because of election promises even though it's a lovely cheap version of the previous government's plan. The workmen out in the field who are installing the NBN boxes all day long are also aware of all this and they obviously don't give a poo poo about the work:

Ooh you can barely see it, I wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't point it out!

They don't even warn people that they're about to attach NBN equipment to their houses, they just walk into their yard, bolt a weird plastic box to the front of their house and leave. You can imagine how some people feel about that:
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/3069265/couple-furious-over-nbn-cable-installation/
http://www.southcoastregister.com.au/story/3150801/nbn-rollout-riles-some-residents/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving nbn is the bane of my life right now. They’ve mistakenly disconnected my service, i spend hours on hold at night waiting for them to check and recheck then decide its too late to do anything. I go to work, come back hoping they’ve fixed it, nope, call again. It hasnt been working since Wednesday

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

gently caress me, I thought internet in the US was a shitshow ...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

If any of ya'll with NBN issues voted for LNP in the last two federal elections then you deserve what you get.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

null_pointer posted:

gently caress me, I thought internet in the US was a shitshow ...

The US is ranked #9 in worldwide speed tests, Australia is #55. :v:

Oh and the delicious cherry on top of that shitcake is that Prime Minister Turnbull once famously said that Australians have no need for 100 Mbit/s internet connections back in 2013 when he was Communications Minister and he was designing the system as it currently stands. Just this week he had the NBN connected to his mansion in Point Piper with a superfast 100 Mbit/s connection which was of course at the taxpayers' expense. He also got his department to intervene and bypass the 9 month NBN waiting period for his connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Miso Beno posted:

Those things are great, but holy poo poo, wear safety GOGGLES when using it. I've been through dozens of blades on those things landscaping. If you let it run up to full speed and take a good swing, you can cut down a 2" softwood tree in a split second. Steel toed boots and goggles are a must, though. After I had debris fly under my regular safety glasses and hit my eyebrow I dropped the tool and drove to the store for proper PPE.