Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ringu0 posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard.

Instead of pushing up the contents of a screen when the input field happens to be down in the bottom, the keyboard needs to exist as a sort of a transparent overlay, allowing me to see through it while I type.

Does this exist, or I'm chasing unicorns over here?

Swiftkey floating mode doesn't push the screen content but is opaque, if you push the move button it'll show what's behind. That's the closest I think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's what I would suggest first.

Or, try Minuum's mini mode.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whirlscape.minuumfree

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Literally "the answer was inside you all along".

Great suggestions, thank you! I would add Fleksy which has its own invisible keyboard thing. I'll keep looking.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Herman Merman posted:

Are there any useful performance comparisons between Chrome, Firefox, Samsung Internet Browser and Brave? Featurewise I assume they're all more or less okay.

If I remember correctly the Brave devs are pooptouchers though, isn't there some kind of pointless bitcoin integration in the browser?

They have a donation system that doles out money to sites you visit if you feel guilty about not giving ad revenue (lol). It uses crypto currency, but it's opt-in so it doesn't affect you if you don't want it to.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Now it is possible i'm a gigantic idiot so I may have missed something obvious but -

Trying to get my photos that are uploaded from my pixel 2 to google photos to sync to my desktop also, but the google drive app doesn't seem to allow me to see that folder in the sync options.
Basically i'm trying to set it up the way dropbox is?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

Now it is possible i'm a gigantic idiot so I may have missed something obvious but -

Trying to get my photos that are uploaded from my pixel 2 to google photos to sync to my desktop also, but the google drive app doesn't seem to allow me to see that folder in the sync options.
Basically i'm trying to set it up the way dropbox is?

There is a setting in drive to show the photo folder in drive, then there is one in the client to sync that folder down.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

FunOne posted:

There is a setting in drive to show the photo folder in drive, then there is one in the client to sync that folder down.

Found it, cheers.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

For some reason, neither Mint nor Personal Capital are available in my country. Is there a good alternative? It can be basic as gently caress, I don't need automated complex stuff or whatever.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

YNAB?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I thought you must pay like a subscription to use it? Sorry, forgot to mention that I would prefer if it was free or cheap.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's 7 bucks a month, which I consider cheap, but you may not.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

He/she REALLY needs a budget

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who can recommend a music player that will send metadata to Honda vehicles via Bluetooth? Gfs Essential plays over Bluetooth in my car fine but no song info in the dash.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Mystic Stylez posted:

I thought you must pay like a subscription to use it? Sorry, forgot to mention that I would prefer if it was free or cheap.

Not being snarky but if all you want is a register and some balance tracking google sheets?

Depending on your ability you can even create/track categories.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

codo27 posted:

Who can recommend a music player that will send metadata to Honda vehicles via Bluetooth? Gfs Essential plays over Bluetooth in my car fine but no song info in the dash.

Local content or streaming? I can't speak to Hondas specifically, but VLC sends metadata to my Prius. It's also the only media player I tried that actually obeyed track number tags; everything else would only sort by filename.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

codo27 posted:

Google play music sends song info to the dash of my Honda, but it's sucky. It gets stuck on certain songs, doesn't update properly when skipping, etc. Happens the same across several apps, either the car or the phone itself have messed up Bluetooth, I don't think apps are the issue.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It is almost assuredly the cars fault

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

your car may have an update available for the infotainment software. car software is really bad though, so don't get your hopes too high that an update will fix the issue

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

XIII posted:

The problem is that a dollar is worth many times the currency from where I live, so it really adds up over the course of a year. Our purchasing power is terrible compared to an american.

rotaryfun posted:

Not being snarky but if all you want is a register and some balance tracking google sheets?

Depending on your ability you can even create/track categories.

Yeah, I think I will do that. Thanks.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 7, 2018

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

Blackplayer has consistently worked me for across different vehicle makes.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

XIII posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
App subscriptions $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Sereri posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
App subscriptions $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

@Sereri Spend less on App subscriptions

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sereri posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
App subscriptions $3,600
Utility $150

You can save on food by using my recipe app. Get 50% off Gold Membership for 3 months!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

@Vykk.Draygo no

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sereri posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
App subscriptions $3,600
Utility $150

This is me but add another 0 to "rent"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sereri posted:

@Vykk.Draygo no

This joke will never ever get old.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm struggling to spend my survey credit. My opinions on my recent supermarket experiences are just so valuable! What are some good paid apps to buy after all your basic mobile computing needs are covered? I don't game, but I might try something if it was excellent.

If I spend it on movies, will they show up on youtube movies so I can watch them on my laptop?

If I spend it on music, can I only listen to those albums on Google Music? Other ways to spend it? Maybe I should just publish some crap and buy it myself.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

I'm struggling to spend my survey credit. My opinions on my recent supermarket experiences are just so valuable! What are some good paid apps to buy after all your basic mobile computing needs are covered? I don't game, but I might try something if it was excellent.

If I spend it on movies, will they show up on youtube movies so I can watch them on my laptop?

If I spend it on music, can I only listen to those albums on Google Music? Other ways to spend it? Maybe I should just publish some crap and buy it myself.

Movies - yes
Music - don't do that, subscribe to Spotify/Google Play music.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ok. I subscribe to buy Spotify and buy the odd Flac album from bandcamp and other download shops, but I'll drop it here.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ola posted:

You can download the mp3s to your PC and do whatever you want with them.

Edit: looks like the two seasons of Preacher that I bought on Google Play Movies are available on my YouTube app.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 7, 2018

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Ola posted:

Maybe I should just publish some crap and buy it myself.
There used to be an app called Cashify that would convert it for you until someone used stolen credit cards to get Google Play gift cards and cash them out with the app. Not that it was a terribly great way to "spend" your credit anyway, Google takes a 30% cut of all store purchases and then the dev took a 10% cut as well.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
You can use it to pay for a Youtube Red subscription, which also includes Google Music. $9/month. It is what I do with mine. When you sign up for either service, it will let you pick your Google Play balance as a payment method. (it also works the other way around, if you subscribe to Google Music, it includes Youtube Red, price is the same of course)

I am a huge Youtube nerd.. and now that I have experienced ad-free Youtube everywhere on every device, I simply cannot go back.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Youtube Red doesn't seem to be available in Norway, it'll probably be soon.

Uthor posted:

You can download the mp3s to your PC and do whatever you want with them.

Edit: looks like the two seasons of Preacher that I bought on Google Play Movies are available on my YouTube app.

Ok, I bought an album and downloaded it. A message said "Each song can be downloaded 2 times on the web." which kind of sucks, I guess I'll back it up on Drive. Take that Google!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

stevewm posted:

You can use it to pay for a Youtube Red subscription, which also includes Google Music. $9/month. It is what I do with mine. When you sign up for either service, it will let you pick your Google Play balance as a payment method. (it also works the other way around, if you subscribe to Google Music, it includes Youtube Red, price is the same of course)

I am a huge Youtube nerd.. and now that I have experienced ad-free Youtube everywhere on every device, I simply cannot go back.

Youtube Red isn't available in the vast majority of countries.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ola posted:

Ok, I bought an album and downloaded it. A message said "Each song can be downloaded 2 times on the web." which kind of sucks, I guess I'll back it up on Drive. Take that Google!

Yeah, that sucks. I believe Amazon is the same way.

You can download your library an unlimited amount of times if you use the PC app, but I don't know if that's just what you purchased through Google Play Music or includes everything you've uploaded. That's way too many files for me to test out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Yeah, that sucks. I believe Amazon is the same way.

You can download your library an unlimited amount of times if you use the PC app, but I don't know if that's just what you purchased through Google Play Music or includes everything you've uploaded. That's way too many files for me to test out.

You could just find one file you that you purchased and one that you uploaded and download each three times.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Microsoft Outlook: when I tap on an attachment, it downloads it to my phone before opening. Does anyone where this download location is? Are the files retained on my phone or removed once I close them?

I exclusively use Outlook for work and kind of want to know what files I'm inadvertently keeping on my personal device.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

stevewm posted:

When I signed up for YouTube Red I did it through my iPad which set payments through my apple id. Now that I've got rid of all my apple devices, what's the easiest way to set up the payments to be made through Google so I can take advantage of using my Google Play balance? Would I just have to unsubscribe, then re-subscribe through Google?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm looking at traveling overseas (vacation, not long term) and am considering grabbing a SIM card locally for data.

How does swapping a SIM like this affect apps like WhatsApp that rely on verification via mobile number? I don't really care if I can make calls or regular texts, as long as I can get data for things like whatsapp, email, etc.

I did some searching online, and it seems like it'll probably keep working, but the variety of responses is a bit worrisome. Has anyone ever done this sort of thing and know first hand if it works fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Uthor posted:

Microsoft Outlook: when I tap on an attachment, it downloads it to my phone before opening. Does anyone where this download location is? Are the files retained on my phone or removed once I close them?

I exclusively use Outlook for work and kind of want to know what files I'm inadvertently keeping on my personal device.

I haven't used the official Outlook app, but if it's anything like Nine the file ends up to a temp cache unless you choose to save it.