Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Synthbuttrange posted:

cat pee pee crystals is the worst give them all the water they want.

I got my cat a filtered water fountain and fill it with fresh water every day, but I can't exactly make him drink. How do I make sure he's getting enough fluids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

yoloer420 posted:

My cat passed away last night.

She had been urinating outside her litter box so I took her to the vet. They did a lot of blood tests, urine tests, etc. They diagnosed her with diabetes and she was scheduled to start insulin in a couple of days. It apparently wasn't severe enough to be needed urgently.

The next morning she could hardly move. We took her to the emergency vet where she was diagnosed with DKA and given a 50/50 chance of survival. Her blood pH was 7.01. They ran a central line and started hydration and a tonne of drugs. She was improving until suddenly her heart stopped. They revived her and she arrested again a few minutes after. We managed to get to the hospital at that point to sit with her.

They said she was likely going to arrest again shortly, but she held on for several more hours and things were looking up again. Then she stopped breathing and was put on machines to breathe for her. Then her heart stopped again, they revived her. An hour or so later she became completely non responsive, no pupil reactions, nothing. At this point her chance of recovery was zero and I made the decision to euthanize. She wasn't in there anymore :(

I miss my cat and don't know how to get through this. She was my best friend. She sat on my desk on a blanket every day while I worked, she helped me get through the stress of finishing a PhD, she made everything worthwhile.

I keep trying to figure out what I could have done differently to save my friend.

Edit: the emergency vet thinks she also had cancer and a UTI which made things worse. She was visiting the vet monthly at this point for checkups and management of a skin condition. It keeps coming back to that for me, she was getting monthly check ups. I want there to be a reason that this is my fault. Maybe if I'd driven faster to the emergency vet :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish I had something more useful to tell you. It sounds like you did everything imaginable and both you, the vets, and the kitty herself fought like hell for her, you were taking her to the vet regularly, took her for this as soon as there was a problem, took her to the emergency vet immediately the next morning, and got to the hospital to be with her. Cats are proud creatures who won't show symptoms until they can't help themselves, and being small beasties, it's easy for things to progress very rapidly. I genuinely do not see what more a human could have done.

But at the same time you are allowed to feel whatever feelings you have, whether that's sorrow, anger, guilt, whatever it might be. Just remember that she loved you as much as you loved her, you gave her a tremendous life of both plenty and joy, and she was so proud of your hard work even if she wasn't sure what this silly human business was all about.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

I got my cat a filtered water fountain and fill it with fresh water every day, but I can't exactly make him drink. How do I make sure he's getting enough fluids?

I just got one of these as well and set it up last night. One of my cats is drinking from it but the other stares suspiciously at it, and he's the one who needs to drink more water too...

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

yoloer420 posted:

My cat passed away last night.

I just wanted to say how terribly sorry I am... I have to admit I get downright scared when I think of the fact that my cat IS 12 and she could just... die - for one reason or another, at any point, And I'll be left with a gigantic hole in my life and a broken heart and I'll want to find any excuse to blame myself, probably just like you.

Life is just unbearably unfair sometimes :( I am so sorry you lost your friend and companion. I always felt like the latter word has always been like the best description for my relationship with my cat. She's never been 'my little furbaby' or any such thing - she was always too dignified for that. But when you really do just spend a lot of time with your cat over the years, or overcome some sort of adversity during that time (like getting a PhD in your case) or overcoming drug addiction in my case. Having a little companion creature giving you unconditional love and support during those periods of often solitary adversity is a REALLY big deal.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

seiferguy posted:

I just got one of these as well and set it up last night. One of my cats is drinking from it but the other stares suspiciously at it, and he's the one who needs to drink more water too...

I have the AquaCube and they all love to lap at the actual fountain part.

Except Todd. He is the reason I have to change the water daily or more, because to him, the fountain is a nice little faucet to wash his loving paws, leaving the fountain nasty.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Thanks for the kind words everyone. They help, I'm surviving and making sure to pay lots of attention to our other cat who is missing her friend. They used to sleep together, she's been sleeping with us under our blankets and I think she's doing ok.

kaworu posted:

She's never been 'my little furbaby' or any such thing - she was always too dignified for that.

I really agree with you on this, any vet I deal with always referred to me as the cats parent. I never saw or imagined it that way. She was my friend.

I hope your cat lives many more years.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

yoloer420 posted:

I really agree with you on this, any vet I deal with always referred to me as the cats parent. I never saw or imagined it that way. She was my friend.

I've only ever referred to myself as a 'cat-haver' and find 'furbaby' to be a squicky term, but my school literally recommends we refer to patient's owners as their parents - I think its meant to show that you recognise the special bond between pet and owner and that the pet is considered to be an important family member.

Take care of yourself, and as hard as it is try not to blame yourself. Losing a friend sucks, no bones about it, but you did everything you could.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Conversely my mom has literally tagged all our cats as my brothers on FB and stuff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone had issues with litter eating / pica and/or know a good litter alternative?

I'm pretty sure my cat has some sort of pica - when I had him in for a urinary tract blockage over a year ago the vets caught him eating some litter - we had some tests run and they suggested that he didn't have any deficiency that would lead to the behaviour and that it might just be a form of pica. It'd certainly line up with him having cord and plastic chewing stints. I'm actually not sure how long he was eating litter since his box was usually out of my view, so I don't know if it was a result of his sickness or just a coincidence. I had him using a litter box with ripped up newspaper for awhile, eventually I was able to re-introduce litter without catching him munching on it but it took a few tries. He's been good for maybe half a year but the other night and this morning I caught him nibbling on litter.

I'm a little stressed out and definitely on high-alert for a vet trip, but I'm pretty sure he's eating/drinking/peeing, didn't seem to show sensitivity, and his food is the low s/o or whatever it is that's designed to prevent another UTI sort of thing, so I'm not sure this is indicating another UTI problem but I'm going to keep a super close eye either way since I don't want to chance that and I understand eating litter can lead to other problems. I've put ripped up newspaper in his box for the mean time but it's not pleasant to deal with in the long term so I'm thinking a hard replacement of litter might be good.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Pine or recycled newspaper pellet style litter might help if he's into eating clay. I was never able to fix my hyperthyroid cat's pica. She liked plastic film of all types. I had to keep all bags out of reach.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ I didn't think of that. Trying corn or walnut or wheat over clay might help, if it's clay the cat's eating. Find a less appealing kind.

They make litterboxes that have a box-shaped sifter insert. The idea is, you lift the sifter and it brings up all the clumps and then you toss those and re-insert the sifter. In practice, it doesn't work very well. However! You can get a cheap one, remove the sifter, pour in some of your preferred litter, set the sifter on top of that, then put paper litter on top of the sifter. They'll go in the paper litter, but pee will go right through the sifter into the clumping litter below. The litter remains under the sifter and less accessible to the cat but the pee will still clump and remain clean-able for you. Poos will still stink up the place but that's just the pain of cat owners whose cats can't or won't bury.

It may not be a permanent solution, but maybe after a while of not having the litter to eat, the cat may forget he liked to do that and stop?

Orrr maybe you can get some lemon fruit juice powder and mix it into your litter? It's my understanding cats don't like the taste of citrus, might be enough to turn kitty off.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 7, 2018

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Pine or recycled newspaper pellet style litter might help if he's into eating clay. I was never able to fix my hyperthyroid cat's pica. She liked plastic film of all types. I had to keep all bags out of reach.

Yeah, any plastic film or thin sorts of plastic he seems to love - I have to be careful any time I get lego sets because he'll try to steal away the little bags the pieces come in.

Ugh, I really hate that he's decided to eat litter again. Been a bit stressed out lately by other things and basically getting pulled back to the nearly year long period where I was keeping a super close eye on him to make sure he was eating/drinking/peeing is not fun. :( Really hoping this is just a pica thing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been limiting the amount of food I've been giving my cats, and they are getting super hangry now. Like, they're always crazy meowing when I get home early for food (their normal feeding time is 6pm when their food clock goes off). I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm starving them or if this is just behavior I'm going to have to manage.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I've been limiting the amount of food I've been giving my cats, and they are getting super hangry now. Like, they're always crazy meowing when I get home early for food (their normal feeding time is 6pm when their food clock goes off). I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm starving them or if this is just behavior I'm going to have to manage.

That's something only you can determine. If they're overweight, then you're probably doing the right thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any tips on keeping litter in or around the box? I have some mats that sit under our litterboxes but they're just flat mats. My problem is I'll find litter all over my house because they track it out with them. I'm not looking to buy one of those igloos for my cats to poop in but if anyone has any recommendations for special mats they use or any ideas I'm open to hear them! I'm always disgusted when I vacuum my house just how much litter there ends up being far away from the boxes :gonk:

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

explosivo posted:

Any tips on keeping litter in or around the box? I have some mats that sit under our litterboxes but they're just flat mats. My problem is I'll find litter all over my house because they track it out with them. I'm not looking to buy one of those igloos for my cats to poop in but if anyone has any recommendations for special mats they use or any ideas I'm open to hear them! I'm always disgusted when I vacuum my house just how much litter there ends up being far away from the boxes :gonk:

I bought these:
Cat Mat

We had this problem big time when we didn't have anything, and I say these capture 90% of the litter when they come out now. When I change the little I pick up the mat and dump shake it off into the box. Otherwise it builds up too much. Effective probably is determined on the kind of litter you use.

Quinoa
Sep 16, 2007
Perpetrating a Fraud

Hiro Protagonist posted:

My Reina suffers from Struvite crystals. She's been on hills c/d for as long as we've had her, but I noticed today she was going frequently to the bathroom and was producing very little urine. I think part of this was the case of food we got; it's normally pretty wet, but this case had dryer food. We just got a new case for her today and the food is wetter, but I don't know if I should wait to see if it works or take her to the vet. Any advice?

So I know this is a late reply- but any more info on this? My cat also is on the same food due to chronic crystals and I noticed the same exact issue with the canned food being extra dry. I took mine back and got another case after the first 6 cans were all defective. New case seems fine and luckily haven’t noticed any urinary issues pop up.

Cat tax

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Our cat Moo Moo does something very strange. She is normally very quiet and makes the mouth motions of a meow without any sound coming out when she sees you. But every night when we go to sleep, or even take a nap or get too quiet for a while, she'll start making a very sad, low, loud meow. She'll walk all around the house doing this even when she knows where we are. Then we'll hear her climb up an elaborate series of platforms to a shelf where there's a big stuffed blue Hippo kept very far out of reach for decoration. We'll hear the low meows get closer and closer, but with a little hint of pride behind them and some high trills thrown in. We'll always wake up to the blue Hippo on the floor by our bed, possibly with a few toy mice too.

What is Moo Moo trying to tell us?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If I go to bed and leave Milly downstairs, there's a 50/50 chance I'll hear yowling and a ruckus as she drags toys, wand and string included up the stairs and onto my bed, other times she stays downstairs. If I carry her to bed with me, she sticks around and sleeps on me all night. Sometimes when I carry her up, she'll go back down, do the yowling as she kills a toy and brings them up anyways, then curls up to sleep. Sometimes I go to bed and she just stands on my pillow and purrs.

Sounds like Moo Moo is a cat and working as intended and wants you to know how effectively she can kill stuffed blue hippos.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Moo Moo can sense the blue hippos murderous intent and the evil radiating off it and is trying to warn you with her vocalizations. When you ignore them Moo-squared takes it upon herself to protect you by defeating the hippo.

You should thank Moo2.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Our cat Moo Moo does something very strange. She is normally very quiet and makes the mouth motions of a meow without any sound coming out when she sees you. But every night when we go to sleep, or even take a nap or get too quiet for a while, she'll start making a very sad, low, loud meow. She'll walk all around the house doing this even when she knows where we are. Then we'll hear her climb up an elaborate series of platforms to a shelf where there's a big stuffed blue Hippo kept very far out of reach for decoration. We'll hear the low meows get closer and closer, but with a little hint of pride behind them and some high trills thrown in. We'll always wake up to the blue Hippo on the floor by our bed, possibly with a few toy mice too.

Cats gonna cat.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Whenever I ignore my cat, lie in bed, or play games, he'll go in the stairway and start doing the lonely meow/howl. If I call him, he'll act like he didn't know I was home and act all lovey with me for a few minutes. Then repeat.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Those are hunting noises

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What do I do to stop my second cat from trying to Single White Female my first cat?

Basically she’s contantly waiting until he moves then sleeping is places he likes, and I can tell he isn’t a fan.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

What do I do to stop my second cat from trying to Single White Female my first cat?

Basically she’s contantly waiting until he moves then sleeping is places he likes, and I can tell he isn’t a fan.

Your cat is being a cat. The only cure is to get a dog instead.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

My cat does this to me every time I go to the loo in the middle of the night.

Cat gonna cat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Raimondo posted:

I bought these:
Cat Mat

We had this problem big time when we didn't have anything, and I say these capture 90% of the litter when they come out now. When I change the little I pick up the mat and dump shake it off into the box. Otherwise it builds up too much. Effective probably is determined on the kind of litter you use.

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation. Going to pick up one of these for sure!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Anyone got recs for reusable things to remove fur from clothes? This lint roller’s almost out of sheets and I should really get something that won’t need replacing.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
My trick is a damp hand or cloth. Got no dry tips though.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know what works great for removing lint? In my mid twenties my ~50+ hour a week job consisted of printing massively big retail graphics and banners and what not - the kind of thing you see at retail stores in the mall and such. For instance, LL Bean was a big client of ours (both of us being local Maine businesses) and 50% of my job consisted of printed literally each and every single graphic used in every LL Bean retail store (there aren't too many just a huge Flagship in Maine and maybe half a dozen fairly big outlet stores around the country? If you've shopped at an actual LL Bean store then most to all the graphics printed are mine... A lot of the signage is re-used repeatedly, but perhaps most of it's gone...Not too much of a Legacy but I printed tons of weird random stuff...

Oh right! My point! So the flat-bed direct-to-substrate printer I would operate at the time for this LL Bean work especially used an extremely powerful vacuum table - this printer, imagine a normal househol one literally the size of a room capable of printing as big as '6x'12. Big goddamn thing - the carriage unit that swings back and forth laying down ink is bigger than an air conditioner for instance, and way heavier and more complicated an only 3 or 4 people knew how to really fix it in the entire world including myself, no joke. The bottom of the carriage t needed to be about 1/8 of a millimeter close to the substrate to get a truly sharp and vibrant image. say, 2mm away and you're looking at a noticeably more faint and blurry image. The rub is that the bottom of the carriage is where the printer heads are the lay down the ink - you know, the most delicate and expensive and precisely calibrated part of the machine. So when you are printed on crap like wood or sail-cloth or *anything* that cannot be 100% consistently flat and you have to try and print away, you risk destroying a $20,000 piece of machinery in an instant... And that was just one head! There were 16 heads on the carriage's underside.

The big solution to this was to buy rolls of masking literally like 12 inches wide, so we could block out all the unused portions of the vacuum table and vastly increase the suction - now it pull down the corners of warped pieces of wood, even. That made everything much MUCH safer. And it had an ulterior use involving cat fur - 12-inch long sheets of sticky-as-hell masking tape.

TL;DR: The best product I've used for removing cat (and dog but especially cat) hair/fur from clothes and wool or cloth-like jackets and whatnot - 24-inch long industrial masking tape. I am really not sure, as I recall it was almost certain from 3M or ULine and that was pretty easy to get since we regularly ordered supplies from them... But I'd hope you could find something similar on Amazon. I can only imagine it would still be WAYYYYY cheaper than spending like $7 on a plastic handle and a frankly inadequate roll of tape.

I'd just tear off 3 or 4 sheets from the tape and press them evenly across my shirt or coat or whatever, and it works like a charm - the tape is way stronger too, so it also PULLS out those hairs that have really gotten in it and gets off tons of excess lint..-

kaworu fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 10, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Not for nothing, but he was asking for a way to move beyond tape.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ILL Machina posted:

Not for nothing, but he was asking for a way to move beyond tape.

"better tape!" :downs:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Film and paper flatness are a serious issue if you are doing art-level printing, even at relatively small sizes. Serious film enthusiasts print on a vacuum bed and use a glass (or wet) negative carrier that can sandwich the film properly to ensure flatness. It's not strictly necessary at amateur film/print sizes, but it gets to be a problem pretty quickly above that.

It's also a problem with rollfilm, where the film has a natural curl. It tends to curl away from the focal plane inside the camera. When your negative is 2x3 and the film spool is 3/4 inch when full, that's a problem.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 10, 2018

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Sirs this is the Cat thread

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I use one like this that I bought at Target

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQIGFL0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vjdPAb7AVYV3G

It works on clothes, couches, and directly on the cat.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Harley has been sneezing for about a week, about once an hour while she's awake. Should I take her to the vet? Trees have started blooming and while she's an indoor cat, I could see it being that.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I haven't really tried it on clothes, but a rubber shower squeegee works great on my microfiber couch to get the hair off.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The back side of a Kong Zoom Groom works pretty well too, and it's great for short-haired cats.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
A friend wants me to adopt the male of his brother/sister pair. They are around a year old and have been together always. Is it a bad idea to split up a family/should I try to get the sister, too? Or if not just have him keep both. Help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Depends on how they get along. I did exactly that, adopt the sister too, and it turned out they didn't really like each other.