Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not sure that really matters to Disney. They haven't legally done anything wrong and it is only a minor amount of bad publicity for a handful of people.
Yeah, they could just pay off the original artist and then say they froze the forger in carbonite and everyone would be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: like, I'm not saying the dude's going grey because he's in any legal trouble, but because this movie had a lot of money dumped on it and has "bomb" written all over it. It's a Ghost in the Shell or Bright situation where, by now, everyone's pretty much primed to hate the movie regardless of its actual quality.

Bomb? Let's not be hyperbolic here. It's still a Star Wars movie. It's going to make a buttload of money. I have my concerns about it myself, mainly due to milquetoast Ron Howard, but a bunch of internet fanboys whining about #NotMySolo are not going to hurt this movie very much at all. The biggest whiners will still be there opening night. Because it's Star Wars.

Remember how the internet exploded just a few months ago over Battlefront 2 and everyone was predicting that it would be the death of EA? Sure, it fell short of expectations, but it still sold shitloads, and made a ton of money for EA and Disney.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This movie has been suffering from death-of-a-thousand-cuts of minor amounts of bad publicity, though. Like, if this was the only thing, then yeah, but... it's not the only thing.

e: like, I'm not saying the dude's going grey because he's in any legal trouble, but because this movie had a lot of money dumped on it and has "bomb" written all over it. It's a Ghost in the Shell or Bright situation where, by now, everyone's pretty much primed to hate the movie regardless of its actual quality.

Or Jumanji?

If it reviews well, everything else won't matter.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pretty much. You're delusional if you think a Star Wars movie isn't going to make a poo poo ton of money.

And for all we know, it could review well too.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Even the most die hard SW fans are really uninterested in the thing but have said they'll see it just because it's a SW release. It's gonna have to be reviewed really poorly for a lot of the core group of fans to not go.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
How well did that Clone Wars movie no one cared about\remembers do?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Nihonniboku posted:

Bomb? Let's not be hyperbolic here. It's still a Star Wars movie. It's going to make a buttload of money. I have my concerns about it myself, mainly due to milquetoast Ron Howard, but a bunch of internet fanboys whining about #NotMySolo are not going to hurt this movie very much at all. The biggest whiners will still be there opening night. Because it's Star Wars.

Remember how the internet exploded just a few months ago over Battlefront 2 and everyone was predicting that it would be the death of EA? Sure, it fell short of expectations, but it still sold shitloads, and made a ton of money for EA and Disney.

Yeah, but the industry is run by hyperbole. The fact that BvS didn't breach $1 billion cost Zack Snyder half of a Justice League (and will probably cost him his blockbuster career). So Solo will make bank, but heads will roll when it doesn't make 'enough' bank.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shoehead posted:

How well did that Clone Wars movie no one cared about\remembers do?

It met expectations. It went up against Tropic Thunder, and made $68,280,000 overall (roughly half domestically, the other half internationally) against an $8.5million budget with the intention to lead into the TV series that followed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/970114223635222528

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I do not think Solo looks good at all, but there is very little chance it’ll bomb. Unless you mean “bomb” in the sense that it just does pretty good at the box office instead of absolutely amazing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not sure how anyone could have an opinion on it yet from a trailer that doesn't even have any scenes in it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don't necessarily think that Solo will be financially a failure, but the funny thing about seemingly invincible titans going down like punks is that everyone thinks it's impossible right up until their rear end is on the ground and the blame starts getting aimed at random producers

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah, but the industry is run by hyperbole. The fact that BvS didn't breach $1 billion cost Zack Snyder half of a Justice League (and will probably cost him his blockbuster career). So Solo will make bank, but heads will roll when it doesn't make 'enough' bank.

The current DC Cinematic Universe doesn't have a built in fanbase the way Star Wars or the MCU does. Given the fact that the DCCU has been overwhelmingly disappointing, the fact that the Justice League did not do well is not surprising at all.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

The current DC Cinematic Universe doesn't have a built in fanbase the way Star Wars or the MCU does. Given the fact that the DCCU has been overwhelmingly disappointing, the fact that the Justice League did not do well is not surprising at all.

The films so far have been disappointing. Man of Steel was bloated, and both the Wonder Woman and Batman films should've been released well before Batman v. Superman. That film also suffers from a multitude of problems, and it just reeked of DC and WB trying to fast track what the MCU took its time to build.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Disney probably doesn't care how Solo does because they'll be rolling in money thanks to Black Panther and Infinity War.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Codependent Poster posted:

Disney probably doesn't care how Solo does because they'll be rolling in money thanks to Black Panther and Infinity War.

They absolutely do.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

dats a good poster

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Codependent Poster posted:

Stop.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/969974887229030401

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Odd timing for the I'm Still Here cinematic universe to get started but I suppose Lynne Ramsay directing helps divert possible Casey Affleck-centric protest.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I posted this for the last YWNRH poster.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I've gotten so used to seeing this temp poster on Letterboxd

https://letterboxd.com/film/you-were-never-really-here/
that anything more slick looks weird.

Still true.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You Were Never Really Here, from the makers of

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Dark horse win: The Shape of Water. Turns out all the Academy voters are real kinky.

Yo what up, those dudes wanna gently caress a FISH.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
UT-Austin is digitizing and posting tons of copies of vintage movie posters, worth browsing through

PYF

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
star spangled spunk sounds like it'd be painful

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
A few extra

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

People blame this poster for The Italian Job's poor performance at the American box office, because audiences saw that poster, went in expecting a serious mafia movie, and got The Italian Job instead

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Gay Deceivers posted:

The twist is that even after the pair is caught, they are not inducted into the military. The Army investigators assigned to watch them are themselves gay and are trying to keep straight people out of the Army.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Another Kingsman?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

I really like this one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

One of the greatest movies ever made, and it killed Michael Powell's career.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
That's some impressively obnoxious movie-poster clickbait right there. If I saw it and wasn't literally dead by the end of the movie I'd be disappointed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

One of the greatest movies ever made, and it killed Michael Powell's career.

“Most diabolical murder weapon ever”

(Picture of a spike)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mark Wahlberg let me down when he didn’t punch any robots, come on Rocky I have faith in you.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, it looks like it'll be a right din.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
For some reason, when I first heard Dwayne Johnson was going to star in a Rampage movie I expected him to be one of the giant monsters - even though his precedent with that isn't the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

I don't know anything about this movie but I want to see it because the poster is so good