Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

iospace posted:

That said, I heard the specific glitch for the recent gold rush was you could get credit for multiple missions at one base instead of having to travel to the others (which ok, fine, that's a legit bug there). At least Frontier said "if you made money that way, we won't take it away."

I wish they fixed the stacking exploit, rather than just nuking the missions in their entirety. I was getting some $8M skimmer missions with maxed out rep, and I'd be quite happy to do them one at a time as the good lord intended. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I just made an unreasonable pile of cash on the skimmer gold rush, but my first 25 million were made in a week or so. I did some cheap missions for a bit and shot some bounties that were targeted by system defense patrols so it was low risk until I could afford some crappy exploration gear. Did an hour of that and had a few million, enough for the good exploration scanner. Did a few hours of exploring in a hauler, came back and got a few million more, but it was enough to buy a DBX and fit the discovery scan crap you need plus a fuel scoop. Then I roads to riches’d for a few evenings and a Saturday while watching olympics. Came home and turned that in to the tune of another 20 million. The real jump in income was realizing that scanning only the planets identified in the roads to riches app was worth my time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I wish you could get a second character slot short of buying a second account. The early game ship progression is pretty fun, but not so fun that I'm willing to delete a billion credits in ships and credits to experience it again on this account.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Trustworthy posted:

I wish they fixed the stacking exploit, rather than just nuking the missions in their entirety. I was getting some $8M skimmer missions with maxed out rep, and I'd be quite happy to do them one at a time as the good lord intended. :(

Agreed. FDev can never seem to have a nuanced and minor response to anything.

Kind of like Massacre missions, getting duplicate credit for kills was kind of a cheat. So that got fixed, But not content with that, they limited how many massacres you can take, then nerfed the mission payouts. Now It pays more to kill 12 skimmers than 30 ships.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've never really read any guides or anything but think I started out with illegal goods missions as they paid a lot more than anything else I saw. After that I got a transporter and started transporting people.

Just traded it in for a dolphin. I can move people like 15ly so 1 hop and make 1.5 million for it.

I also do everything out of Tun.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah I would unironically due those skimmer missions one at a time for the &8 million vs modified embedded firmware gains. They aren’t hard and are fun because stuff explodes. This recent bubble was probably 10x more effective than the medb parutis grind, so I can only wonder how much more rediculous the next bubble will be.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Trustworthy posted:

Yeah mission stacking and board hopping are what causes all of the big issues. Before these were discovered the worst "exploits" were things like hanging around a Farragut and letting it help you blow up pirates.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

My get rich long and hard way thing went like this: done missions in sidey until I could afford an adder, than someone posted a basic rares routine which allowed me to make MILLIONS (like 1 mil per long and tedious run) which blown my mind. I moved on to cobra, continued to do rares until I bought a type 6. That didn't last long, thankfully because there was a community goal which put AspX for 20% discount, so t6 + savings were enough to buy one. ...
Holy poo poo are you me? Because that sounds almost exactly like my story. Do missions in a sidewinder, bought an adder. Shot some guys up in a low res / nav beacon for some time, upgraded to get a kill warrant scanner, did it for a bit longer. Upgraded to a Cobra MK III and did a buncha loooooong frank's ship drive jumps around to collect and sell rares, bought a Type6. Hauled slaves on a two jump trade route for hours and hours, getting killed by pirates every few hours. Made enough to get my dream ship Asp Explorer and headed out exploring for a few full days ~10kly out and got bored, came back and turned in the scans and found they weren't really worth all that much compared to trade runs. Hauled biowaste in the Asp from Sothis back to the bubble for hours at a time and could almost afford a Python (but not any rebuys!). I think I had 100 hours into the game before I had more than 10M in cash.

I've done a thousand courier missions for the Empire and killed a thousand skimmers for them too. I've surely donated a hundred million credits to the Federation along the way. I've shuttled thousands of passengers around Rhea, and taken hundreds to see the sights of the near galaxy. I've been to war and spent hours in intense conflict against an unrelenting enemy with endless ships. I can go anywhere and do anything I want in the galaxy now... except start a colony on Trappist 1 1 a by dropping close to 10,000 tons of slaves into a crater. SAD!

I can't imagine how you're supposed to get a fully decked out Cutter, Anaconda, or something if you only relied on the payouts they've designed. The game economy just doesn't scale up that way. A *billion* dollar Cutter doesn't make money 100X faster than an AspX or Vulture at 8M credits, which doesn't make money 10X faster than my Cobra did, and the Cobra doesn't make money 10X faster than a Sidewinder. It just gets slower and slower and you're still doing the same things you were doing before but now can only land on a Large landing pad.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

CapnBry posted:

I can't imagine how you're supposed to get a fully decked out Cutter, Anaconda, or something if you only relied on the payouts they've designed. The game economy just doesn't scale up that way. A *billion* dollar Cutter doesn't make money 100X faster than an AspX or Vulture at 8M credits, which doesn't make money 10X faster than my Cobra did, and the Cobra doesn't make money 10X faster than a Sidewinder. It just gets slower and slower and you're still doing the same things you were doing before but now can only land on a Large landing pad.

I bought my Cutter by trading, from a T6, to a T7, to a T9. There was a big community goal payout of a couple hundred million at one point, and that let me finally purchase one. Then I used the Cutter to do trade routes until I could outfit it properly. There is a progression- at least in trading. In combat, not really.

Then I reset my game. I went exploring in a barely upgraded Sidewinder and made it past Sag A* before returning home. Now I own an Anaconda from that adventure.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've never had the mind to do the mathematics and optimization required to competently participate in commodity trading, in any sort of game that's offered it. if you're like me in that regard, eddb.io's got tools for generating trade routes/loops that will get you the most bang for your buck and you can remain incredibly stupid, like me

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

But how long does frontier expect you to grind or fly in the dark doing exploration before you can afford a Cutter or Anaconda? If a fully fit one is 500m, and a single mission gets you 5m, it’s 100 missions, non-stacked, at 10-15 minutes per mission (even a perfect set of board flips with missions in a single target system would make you take a few minutes of travel between locations given how the logarithmic slowdown to exit supercriise works). That means 16-17 hours of grind. (30m credits per hour is pretty dang quick, too) Doing roads to riches or whatever is even slower. Even the folks on the brown sea boasting about combat zone and bounty payouts are talking about 20-30m per hour. Again, we are looking at 15-20 hours for a 500m credit shop. And those 20-30m/hour setups are not instant to obtain. You have to grind for a while to get access to them, have to avoid losing your whole fortune by screwing up a rebuy or insurance coverage, etc.

I guess I am too new to really complain, but I just feel like they need to figure out what their designed grind time looks like and stick to that.

Edit: it’s a good point that trading at least can scale in that your income goes up over time pretty well. But what’s the income look like on a t9 trading loop per hour?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also a fully fit anaconda is probably more like 800m i think

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Arcturas posted:

But how long does frontier expect you to grind or fly in the dark doing exploration before you can afford a Cutter or Anaconda? If a fully fit one is 500m, and a single mission gets you 5m, it’s 100 missions, non-stacked, at 10-15 minutes per mission (even a perfect set of board flips with missions in a single target system would make you take a few minutes of travel between locations given how the logarithmic slowdown to exit supercriise works). That means 16-17 hours of grind. (30m credits per hour is pretty dang quick, too) Doing roads to riches or whatever is even slower. Even the folks on the brown sea boasting about combat zone and bounty payouts are talking about 20-30m per hour. Again, we are looking at 15-20 hours for a 500m credit shop. And those 20-30m/hour setups are not instant to obtain. You have to grind for a while to get access to them, have to avoid losing your whole fortune by screwing up a rebuy or insurance coverage, etc.

I guess I am too new to really complain, but I just feel like they need to figure out what their designed grind time looks like and stick to that.

Edit: it’s a good point that trading at least can scale in that your income goes up over time pretty well. But what’s the income look like on a t9 trading loop per hour?

Don't forget about having rebuy money too.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Why didn't goons move to Damnclown's Funland in Sigma Hydri after Big Harry's didn't work out?

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
[nevermind, answered the question via the google]

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Most of us are probably going to play for 1000+ hours anyway, so in that respect it means there is still stuff for us to have a goal towards. The money thing never bothered me, but I'm the kind of crazy person that enjoys the Sidewinder and Asp Scout.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mike the TV posted:

Then I used the Cutter to do trade routes until I could outfit it properly. There is a progression- at least in trading. In combat, not really.
An A-rated cutter is 957M just for core modules + shield with military composites, or 769M if the hull isn't upgraded. Given the 200M ship cost, let's say it takes 500-700M to upgrade the core. The best trade loop route I know of is about 5000 profit/ton, so let's call it 6000/ton. It can carry 760 tons and still have shields, so 4.56M per loop round trip with a loop being 20 minutes. 13.68M per hour means 36.5 hours or 51.2 hours with military composites. That's 51 straight hours of running a loop between two stations 3 jumps apart. Make sure you're paying attention too, because if you're only sort engaged and a loop takes you 30 minutes, that's 77 hours or about 2 weeks of full-time playing to outfit it. Yikes!

I would say trading doesn't scale well though because 13.68M/hour with a 200M (base) ship versus 1.872M/hour in a 1.045M ship (type 6). 7.3 times the profit for 191 times the cost. A hauler can move 0.324M/hr for a 0.053M ship, 42 times the profit for 3774 times the cost. The amount that you can profit per ship cost is an exponential decay while at the same time the cost of the ship exponentially increases. One of the two of those should be linear or the bigger ships should have some sort of unique advantage to trade profits.

It just never feels like there's much benefit beyond the 8M ship cost mark. I'm not complaining saying "Game is too hard" or anything because I like playing with all the different ships and flying around seeing things or shooting dudes, but being able to afford the larger ships feels like they should come with something that you can't get from the lower ships apart from 1/x^2 more profit.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 5, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean, a larger ship doesn't mean a larger profit, in that you're correct. but really the main thing the larger ships come with that the smaller ships don't is large piles of armor, shields, and weapon slots. it's just a shame that doesn't translate to increasing your profit margins much.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
If you're the type of person into the voice logs and such in elite, this new scifi story podcast might be right up your alley

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/4/17036818/david-carlson-the-hycinth-disaster-science-fiction-podcast-pod-hunters

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really glad I sucked it up and stayed up later than I planned to last night.

Goal was 60 million (started at 3) and made it up to ~500 in the end.

I'm not high enough for the Cutter/Anaconda but I can make it up to a decent Clipper.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean i know we're talking about how inflated a-ranked stuff is but 500mil should be fine towards getting yourself a midrange anaconda

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I'm really glad I sucked it up and stayed up later than I planned to last night.

Hard same. I was going to go to bed at 800 million, but decided to make a couple more runs and pushed myself over 1 billion. That should be enough to last me until the next gold rush.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Coming from Eve, even 50 hours of grind to get to end-game content seems quaint.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

i mean i know we're talking about how inflated a-ranked stuff is but 500mil should be fine towards getting yourself a midrange anaconda

Honestly I haven't even started looking at those ships yet. Made myself a full A Cobra though, first real ship outfitting after my very lovely Eagle build for basic assassination missions :D

Looking forward to give it a run after work.

Glad to know that I'm covered for a while though!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Should take a look at outfitting a Python, too. It's an incredibly versatile medium ship perfect for use around the bubble .
Highly prefer it over the 'Conda/Cutter for everything except their specific roles.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

CapnBry posted:

An A-rated cutter is 957M just for core modules + shield with military composites, or 769M if the hull isn't upgraded. Given the 200M ship cost, let's say it takes 500-700M to upgrade the core. The best trade loop route I know of is about 5000 profit/ton, so let's call it 6000/ton. It can carry 760 tons and still have shields, so 4.56M per loop round trip with a loop being 20 minutes. 13.68M per hour means 36.5 hours or 51.2 hours with military composites. That's 51 straight hours of running a loop between two stations 3 jumps apart. Make sure you're paying attention too, because if you're only sort engaged and a loop takes you 30 minutes, that's 77 hours or about 2 weeks of full-time playing to outfit it. Yikes!

I would say trading doesn't scale well though because 13.68M/hour with a 200M (base) ship versus 1.872M/hour in a 1.045M ship (type 6). 7.3 times the profit for 191 times the cost. A hauler can move 0.324M/hr for a 0.053M ship, 42 times the profit for 3774 times the cost. The amount that you can profit per ship cost is an exponential decay while at the same time the cost of the ship exponentially increases. One of the two of those should be linear or the bigger ships should have some sort of unique advantage to trade profits.

It just never feels like there's much benefit beyond the 8M ship cost mark. I'm not complaining saying "Game is too hard" or anything because I like playing with all the different ships and flying around seeing things or shooting dudes, but being able to afford the larger ships feels like they should come with something that you can't get from the lower ships apart from 1/x^2 more profit.

Bingo. This is why bulk trading is a suckers bet. If someone is interested in being a space trucker, I think it's better profit per ton-hr to take delivery missions.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

CapnBry posted:

I appreciate the math. My route was 1 jump with stations close to the star, so the round-trip took under 10 minutes, 8 minutes when I sped through it. 4.5M per loop, like you mention. I had a secondary route that was 3-4 jumps, but had about 6mil in profit thanks to powerplay. I also once went space-mad and tried to fill up my Cutter with farmed meta-alloys. I only got halfway before giving up from boredom, but it was an insane cash infusion.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Man I was this close to booting up elite dangerous to get the rank or whatever to get that big huge fed ship rip.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Rynoto posted:

Should take a look at outfitting a Python, too. It's an incredibly versatile medium ship perfect for use around the bubble .
Highly prefer it over the 'Conda/Cutter for everything except their specific roles.

I desperately want to NOT fly my python. I keep coming back to it because it's just so drat good and can land at outposts.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, might experiment with a Python tonight then. No pun intended.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

hakimashou posted:

Man I was this close to booting up elite dangerous to get the rank or whatever to get that big huge fed ship rip.

If rank is what you need, the system is still good for that even without the skimmer missions.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Krycek posted:

If rank is what you need, the system is still good for that even without the skimmer missions.

I think he wanted the rep and the 100's of millions of credits too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hakimashou posted:

same

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got like 2 billion spacebux from a previous skimmer thing i just cant buy the big ship for lack of rank :(

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The last page or so put to words why I tend prefer medium-weight ships like the Python. It gets more or less the same done as the big ones do, at a fraction of the cost to purchase, upgrade and operate (read, pay the occasional rebuy). Plus I tend to like more maneuverable ships, they're just more fun to fly.

On one hand, it's great that you don't have to have a giant fuckoff endgame ship to have fun and be effective. On the other, it kind of makes me hope the big ones were more... rewarding.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

hakimashou posted:

I got like 2 billion spacebux from a previous skimmer thing i just cant buy the big ship for lack of rank :(

Oh then there are a couple of stations you can go to and do data courier missions. With the new rank reward option it might go faster. https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/77zwrr/new_systems_for_empirefederation_rank_grind/
I did Dakondunii to Kamahu

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

The last page or so put to words why I tend prefer medium-weight ships like the Python. It gets more or less the same done as the big ones do, at a fraction of the cost to purchase, upgrade and operate (read, pay the occasional rebuy). Plus I tend to like more maneuverable ships, they're just more fun to fly.

On one hand, it's great that you don't have to have a giant fuckoff endgame ship to have fun and be effective. On the other, it kind of makes me hope the big ones were more... rewarding.

It would be cool if you could tow another one of your ships with your Anaconda to save on shipping costs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

jubjub64 posted:

It would be cool if you could tow another one of your ships with your Anaconda to save on shipping costs.

I want to replace my 7A fighter bay with a small pad, tia

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My python is my go-to hauler because it can land at outposts. I love smuggling with it too, because gently caress your system rep, HAVE SLAVES FUCKOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's in no way optimal but powerplaying with Zemina Torval is pretty fun just for the spreading imperial slavery over the galaxy for some mad profits.

• Locked thread