Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FactsAreUseless posted:

I mean it's impressive that it turns on, but it's a really loving bad game.

Bad like "worse than its contemporaries" or bad like "all games were bad at that time."

I had a friend with an Atari, another with a Colecovision, and I had a Commodore-64. We played hundreds of games.

I played that ET game and found it no worse than 80% of all other games out at the time. ET was shovelware before that was a term and there was so much of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It was loving awful, but yes, so were its contemporaries. We're not trying to praise ET here because, relativeley, it was about as good as other games at the time, are we? It was hot garbage. Hot garbage that a studio thought would sell but didn't so it wound up becoming literal buried garbage.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apart from the general cash grab nature of it, there were actually a fair amount of bugs due to the rushed nature that took it from something that would be mediocre to just godawful.

Somebody took the time to patch the game based upon errors that they found and I always found the write-up fascinating.

http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
As annoying as Issun can be in Okami, it's worth it for the sequence where you need to chat up the inhabitants of a village without him and half the dialogue just consists of Amaterasu just blankly staring forward because she is a dog.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

ET was the last straw, but I think Pac-Man is a much better example. If they had sold one copy to every household that was still using their Atari it would have still been a huge flop. They also could not come close to matching the graphical capability of the original arcade game on the Atari hardware so people could tell at first glance that it was bad. By the time they got the game out the Pac-Man craze was already dying down anyways.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

VanguardFelix posted:

Somebody took the time to patch the game based upon errors that they found and I always found the write-up fascinating.

http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/

That was fascinating and a great read about the legacy of the era when programmers had to carefully and artfully manage memory. The updates to the article as commenters provided novel ways to do things more efficiently was proof of that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you love hyper-optimization in early games and software (I do too) then you need to check out Jon Burton's youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IehwV2K60r8

He was a director at Traveller's Tales for almost 30 years and he goes over a ton of clever techniques the industry used to save space

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

BobKnob posted:

I am enjoying Dishonored 2's New Game +. I liked going from tentative stealth clutz pacifist Emily to rat spewing, time stopping, buzzsaw of death Corvo with all my extra runes. I am going to follow up with Bloody Empress and then a stealth Corvo who isn't seen ever. Stacking custom bonecharms to make stealth movement faster than running and making it so only every third power used costs mana is also neat. The trend of games not letting you use cheat codes or New Game pluses irritates me. Sometimes I want to gently caress around like a god, especially if I already beat the game. I don't give a poo poo about achievements.

Surprised you didn't mention the most amazing part which is that on NG+ you get access to both sets of powers. Nothing like being able to stop-time blink where you want and still be able to yank guards into the sky with far reach. Or maybe Link a few guys and have one of them be seemingly eaten alive by phantom rats (haven't tested that but everything else holds up so I assume it works).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Now that I'm practically at the end of World to the West (PS4), I'm enjoying that the later dungeons have had a metapuzzle, which is "To solve this puzzle each character must do a Thing, either ring a gong, hit a lever, whatever it is" - the problem is how will they get to the puzzle? Each character has their own obstacles that they can get past, some share a few some don't, although the Mercenary can often control and ride an animal to cross water like the Mining Kid or scale cliffs like the Buff Clone. Often these navigation puzzles are very different although in the end some characters do share some paths. It emphasises that they are very different people but will a shared goal - they will take very different routes to get places, but they all will congregate there in the end.

Also a cute writing thing is that at some milestones each character gets dialog with the other whoever is at that totem, for example talking to the three others as the Mining Kid when about to drain the lake to get to the weather machine and stop it When talking to Clonington he excitedly tells them how he defeated the Big Kids, who were enslaving him and his friends on Lord Tycoon's orders, when talking to the Merc she gives vaguely encouraging dialog and when talking to the Technomancer, she asks him is he understands what's going on and he's all like "Not really, but I'm here to help!"

It a cute, great game with a lot of heart behind it and I highly recommend it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm sure that the adorable Palico cat friends in Monster Hunter World have already been brought up, but I'd like to add how much I love it when you meet your friends' Palicos out in the world.

When you're playing solo, sometimes other people's Palicos randomly spawn and if you find them they'll join up with you and help you out. They meow at each other and do a little happy dance, then join in with the hunt. Every now and then they'll start chatting to each other, so you'll see something like:
"So, how good a hunter is your meowster?" (i.e.: 'master', just one of many cat-related puns in the game, like having a "paws to reco-purr-ate")
"He's great! Recently he's been hunting [a monster your friend recently killed]!"
"Sounds like the cat's - well, MY meow!"

And now people have started to figure out builds that mean you can just sit back and watch the cats do the entire fight for you

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

please rediscover the beautiful sole who hleped ppl find good 5 Nights at Freddys lets plays

What? Is this a burn? Are you drunk right now?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

RyokoTK posted:

A couple hours?

Factorio is the kind of game where I don't know if you think the arbitrary time I picked is too big or too small.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beaten World to the West - the final boss was interesting and amusing, although one of the phases confused me as to what I was supposed to be doing and had to look it up, so I don't mind it being easy - there are a couple of tricky bosses but they are all fun in their own way. Looking the game up after the fact it appears to be a follow up to Teslagrad, which I never played but may get around to. It's not a sequel though, just in the same world.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

My favourite little thing in a game was how ET made everyone collectively realise video games are trash and turn people into bad people, and for a beautiful moment the entire medium disappeared. Do it again, Atari.

Only in North America! The Atari not only had the problem of a lot of shovelware and each game costing around $50, but I've also read that an issue was if you found 3 or 4 good games, that was all you needed- there just wasn't enough variance to make it worth collecting a library. Got a good shoot-em-up, a good kinda platformer, maybe a sports game, bam, done, you can play those forever.

In Europe, the microcomputers were predominant- and a game on the Vic-20 or Spectrum would be on a cassette (or even a magazine type-in) and cost like £5. Kids could get these games with pocket money, and some of the Spectrum or C64 games could get pretty elaborate. (This was why the NES didn't make a huge impact there, though the Sega Master System ended up doing well as sort of a high end alternative.)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In the Seinfeld visual novel The Senpai all the music is stock dating sim and anime compositions with the instruments swapped out with slap bass. Also whenever Kramer enters they give his portrait a unique animation where it slides in from off screen like his trademark entrance on the show.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Acute Grill posted:

Factorio is the kind of game where I don't know if you think the arbitrary time I picked is too big or too small.

Short by a couple of days in my experience.

Factorio owns but man does time melt away after a while.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

In the Seinfeld visual novel The Senpai all the music is stock dating sim and anime compositions with the instruments swapped out with slap bass. Also whenever Kramer enters they give his portrait a unique animation where it slides in from off screen like his trademark entrance on the show.

What kind of knock off F.R.I.E.N.D.S bullshit is this?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I can't put my finger on it but vermintide 2 did something very satisfying with the melee combat

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

What kind of knock off F.R.I.E.N.D.S bullshit is this?

It's... something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Metal Gear Survive's multiplayer, there's a fist bump emote. If another player does it back to you, your characters perform the Konami code handshake from MGS2. :buddy:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

the sempai rules, it is uncannily good at getting the seinfeld voice right.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

poptart_fairy posted:

In Metal Gear Survive's multiplayer, there's a fist bump emote. If another player does it back to you, your characters perform the Konami code handshake from MGS2. :buddy:

Mother FUCKER, now I have to play this piece of garbage game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who What Now posted:

Mother FUCKER, now I have to play this piece of garbage game.

I haven't clicked into the thread but I read the little things and dragging games down thread and I don't recall seeing anything negative in the other thread. Is MGS actually bad?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

What the gently caress it's real?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

I haven't clicked into the thread but I read the little things and dragging games down thread and I don't recall seeing anything negative in the other thread. Is MGS actually bad?

https://youtu.be/Jil_c1t8riM

I don't know if that's a fair review or not, but that video and the fact that it costs $10 to open up a save slot are all I know about the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jim was bad at the game, and wrong about a ton of stuff.

https://youtu.be/M7FngrrIo_c

The save slot thing is extra character slots for example. While a silly thing to charge for its not even remotely close to charging for extra save files, especially as everything can be unlocked and done with one character (and you get microtransaction currency every day you log in).

The game has flaws, but its hard to shake the feeling a lot of these reviews are just pissy with Konami because of the falling out with Kojima. You can tell its the same team that worked on previous titles.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There are still people out there who talk about things with the gimmick 'I get angry'?

Jesus christ.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Even Zero Punctuation is pretty chilled out now. That was so weird to see.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The main thing about MGSurvive, aside from being a terrible attempt to breathe life into a post-Kojima MGS, was that it was terribly marketed. Day 1 of release and absolutely nobody knew what the gameplay was like. I only learned from these forums that it's a Survival game, and since I actually enjoy those I plan on buying it when it's 50% off or so, but most people still have no idea what it's like.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It is called Metal Gear: Survive.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

It is called Metal Gear: Survive.

By that logic it should've been metal gear zandatsu instead of rising.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They also had that trial weekend but I didn't play more than 5 minutes before going back to hunting monsters.

I almost got it over the weekend but for the same price I got the Jak and Daxter games and that seemed like a better deal at four games for the price of one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Agent355 posted:

There are still people out there who talk about things with the gimmick 'I get angry'?

Jesus christ.

I quite enjoy listening to Jim Sterling's commentary on things when he's not in character because he's generally pretty insightful.

When he's in character, he's unbearable.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Day 1 of release and absolutely nobody knew what the gameplay was like.

Lol what?

There were open betas. A ton of people knew what the gameplay was like. Search YouTube for the beta videos and you see individual videos with tens and hundreds of thousands of views.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There were multiple open betas for MHW, a game people actually wanted to play, and we still get posts asking what it's like. Now imagine a game no one cared about.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Until it actually came out, I thought it was just a Left 4 Dead clone in the MGSV engine.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

rumble in the bunghole posted:

the sempai rules, it is uncannily good at getting the seinfeld voice right.

There's nothing quite like a good non-choice in an adventure game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

There were multiple open betas for MHW, a game people actually wanted to play, and we still get posts asking what it's like. Now imagine a game no one cared about.

Goons are actively bad at things and frequently go "oh this is (insert wrong opinion)" and never bother to look into it otherwise.

Resident Evil 7 had people up until launch and even afterwards come into the thread and go "I played the demo this is just an Outlast clone I can ignore right?" "What do you mean they said in interviews months ago combat was a thing? Wait they put combo in the demo?! When did it stop being a bad Outlast clone?!"

Or The Evil Within "there's an invincible ghost that chases you through the entire game and one shots you if it catches you"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Goons are actively bad at things and frequently go "oh this is (insert wrong opinion)" and never bother to look into it otherwise.

Resident Evil 7 had people up until launch and even afterwards come into the thread and go "I played the demo this is just an Outlast clone I can ignore right?" "What do you mean they said in interviews months ago combat was a thing? Wait they put combo in the demo?! When did it stop being a bad Outlast clone?!"

Or The Evil Within "there's an invincible ghost that chases you through the entire game and one shots you if it catches you"

It's not just goons. People will just absorb one popular idiot's opinion and then run around acting like that's solid fact. The original Nier had a similar issue, one reviewer was too dense to follow basic instructions he'd been following the whole game up until then and gave the game a negative review because he fished in the wrong spot and gave up. So for a good while after that you'd get people showing up and shouting about how the game had an impossible, mandatory and game ruining fishing segment.

Or how often people would go into Dark Souls expecting it to be I Want to be the Guy sort of garbage because of the popular idiot reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Memento posted:

I quite enjoy listening to Jim Sterling's commentary on things when he's not in character because he's generally pretty insightful.

When he's in character, he's unbearable.

Based on the linked videos I think he was talking about Angry Joe, who is garbage.