Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

It looks like what went wrong is that you tried washing over a matte surface, and as a result the wash soaked into said matte coat. For washes you generally want a nice smooth surface (i.e semigloss/gloss coat), that way you can clean up the excess after it dries.

For me the process goes:

Paint
Gloss paint? No = future
Wash
Allow to dry
Slightly damp a q-tip with thinner
gentle rub over excess, dont push into crevices

Thanks, I'll try that with the rests of the kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Always gloss coat before washing imo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also unless you're interested in a shading effect (which is entirely viable with enamel paint, basically long-term Feathering), use multiple Q-tips as they get dirty.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

EthanSteele posted:

Always gloss coat before washing imo

Always gloss coat when you've finished whatever section you've done and want to protect it from what your doing next.

I think of it as a quick save.

And the vallejo wash isn't real good. It's okay, but does t hold a candle to the Tamiya enamel wash.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does it have to be a gloss coat? I want this thing to be matte at the end

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Tamiya is a little expensive for what it is IMO, not bad by any means especially if you dont have much experience with Enamel, but if you do then you're better off getting 4 Testors paints for the same price and thinning them with mineral spirits.

Obviously more effort than a nice bottle with an on-cap applicator, though.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You can matte coate it after the lining

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You can almost always matte coat after a gloss coat, a lot of people do this because gloss coats are really protective of paint jobs.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Guy Goodbody posted:

As everyone has pointed out, gloss coat is best as it's smooth and strong.

As it's a gloss surface the panel wash/line will run through the gulleys easily and due to it being smooth and flat won't soak into any surrounding areas and be easily removable.

Think of gloss like and ice rink and matte like compacted snow and how a liquid would react if you spilled it on both surfaces.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Guy Goodbody posted:

It absolutely has to be a gloss coat or otherwise it doesn't work, but like the others said you can just matte over the top of it once you're done.

The standard workflow for basic painting is: prime, base coat, gloss coat, panel line, top coat of choice (usually matte).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Matte coat over a gloss coat looks just like a matte coat on paint directly, IMO. If there’s a difference, it’s so tiny that it’s not worth mentioning.

So yeah, gloss coat (gonna nth the future recommendation, it’s really easy and cheap with an airbrush), wash, then matte on top.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, gloss coat, and them a matte coat at the end. got it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If anyone wants a good long look at the new Deep Striker, here’s a 45 minute official video on it

https://www.facebook.com/cybergundam/videos/1340356222733309/

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If anyone wants a good long look at the new Deep Striker, here’s a 45 minute official video on it

https://www.facebook.com/cybergundam/videos/1340356222733309/

God, the boxart for that is so good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess Gamestop is going all in on Gundam. They've got the Build Divers kits and a few others up for preorder

You can do it at the physical stores too, I preordered a Leo at a local Gamestop.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guess Gamestop is going all in on Gundam. They've got the Build Divers kits and a few others up for preorder

You can do it at the physical stores too, I preordered a Leo at a local Gamestop.

I keep hearing this, but then when I check none of the stores within 40 miles carry them. Maybe they'll finally expand them to all stores? That'd definitely get me to actually got to a Gamestop again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EVGA Longoria posted:

I keep hearing this, but then when I check none of the stores within 40 miles carry them. Maybe they'll finally expand them to all stores? That'd definitely get me to actually got to a Gamestop again.

Given the amount of shelf space a gunpla kit takes up, I doubt many stores will ever carry them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tropical fruit punch gundam came out lookin' good, even with one of the worst weapon designs I've ever seen. (Stickers on it? And it comes in two pieces? Really?)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With the constant shift to digital games take up less shelf space than ever. This hurts gamestop's business model which is why they've been turning into Hot Topic Lite in recent years.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

e: wait I'm being a fool

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Argas posted:

Given the amount of shelf space a gunpla kit takes up, I doubt many stores will ever carry them.

The last time I went in, half the shelf space in the store was taken up by Funk pop and other action figures and stuff. Admittedly Funko is pretty popular, but the stores already dedicate a huge chunk of space to misc things (that mostly don't seem to be selling great)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EVGA Longoria posted:

The last time I went in, half the shelf space in the store was taken up by Funk pop and other action figures and stuff. Admittedly Funko is pretty popular, but the stores already dedicate a huge chunk of space to misc things (that mostly don't seem to be selling great)

Admittedly, Canada has EBgames instead of Gamestop (Though they're owned by them, but apparently EB had more of a brand up north) and while there is more merch now than previously, I've mostly seen it around the cashier area.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EVGA Longoria posted:

Even if the specific location doesn't carry kits normally, they'll do the preorders. So if you don't want to pay shipping, you can preorder the kits in store and pick them up when they come out.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

EVGA Longoria posted:

The whole Pop! Figurine and movie and tie in merchandise trade here in Australia must be so good, that Eb Games actually started a second company selling only this kinda stuff.

They always seem to be busy whenever I walk past them.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Even if the specific location doesn't carry kits normally, they'll do the preorders. So if you don't want to pay shipping, you can preorder the kits in store and pick them up when they come out.

At that point, my local HobbyTown will do the same, and I'd rather do that. Gamestop was just kinda a hope for another place to go with kits so I could impulse buy more of them.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
The local Barnes and Noble has made a few tries at stocking Gunpla and as far as I can tell haven't had much success. They have two MG Providence Gundams that I'm pretty sure have sat on the shelf for months. Why that one? Why two?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mimir posted:

The local Barnes and Noble has made a few tries at stocking Gunpla and as far as I can tell haven't had much success. They have two MG Providence Gundams that I'm pretty sure have sat on the shelf for months. Why that one? Why two?

To be fair Barnes and Noble isn't going to be very successful with gunpla at the prices they put on them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mimir posted:

It must be somewhat successful, they've carried Gunpla for a few years now. Why not the Providence? The more bizarre choice is the old G-Unit High Grades.

Blackchamber posted:

To be fair Barnes and Noble isn't going to be very successful with gunpla at the prices they put on them.

Huh? Barnes and Noble charges standard US prices for Gunpla. They charge 55 bucks for the MG Providence, same as Amazon or my local comic shop.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Ha, every B&N I've seen with gunpla has a Providence or two. Thought it was just my area.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

B&N just should not be stocking MGs, period. The people who are gonna drop $60 on an MG are already kind of tuned into the hobby and probably know cheaper places with a wider selection already. In the shelf space of 1 MG they could probably stock 4 HGs (or 3 HGs and an RG) which are much more likely to be impulse buys for people who haven't built Gunpla. The current selection of HGs is pretty crap, too; The last I saw they were offering some no-name IBO grunt kit and one of the Burning Gundams from build fighters. That space really needs to go to iconic poo poo like the RX-78-2 or even just the Barbatos, which are way more likely to be recognized by people who haven't built gunpla.

Not that I think B&N is long for this world, anyway; they're just not gonna be able to compete with Amazon in basically any factor at this point.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Huh? Barnes and Noble charges standard US prices for Gunpla. They charge 55 bucks for the MG Providence, same as Amazon or my local comic shop.

As the above poster said, you can find kits cheaper and with a better selection online. Especially given people have cellphones on them all the time, the ability to comparison shop hurts here. I have never seen them being competitive, usually there's a mark-up of 5-10 bucks from what I've seen.

Edit: BN price for the MG Epyon: 64.95
Amazon price: 54.99

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 6, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puddin posted:

The whole Pop! Figurine and movie and tie in merchandise trade here in Australia must be so good, that Eb Games actually started a second company selling only this kinda stuff.

They always seem to be busy whenever I walk past them.

I would be not at all surprised if Zing Pop Culture stores started stocking Gunpla.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

B&N gets whatever Bluefin feels like shipping them, and I'm not sure what they base the decisions on.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I would be not at all surprised if Zing Pop Culture stores started stocking Gunpla.

Fingers crossed. I'd love another local store to stock them but I'd hate to see what pricing they would be also g the lines of EBs gaming priceing. Without anyone to price match they would have the ability to charge what they want.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It must be somewhat successful, they've carried Gunpla for a few years now. Why not the Providence? The more bizarre choice is the old G-Unit High Grades.

Yeah but depending on where you look you can get it cheaper. Hell I can get it for 51.58 with 2 day shipping. Or even cheaper at B&N if you have a membership and use it with one of the 15% coupons that come like every month. That being said some things do cost way too much. They currently have the megazord superminipla and it's something like 60$ for it, hell they had the XN Raiser at mine for a bit but it cost loving 95 for it and it retails for like 80 normally.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
My local game store began carrying bandai plamo kits and gunpla about a month ago and they cannot keep the things in stock long enough. Mostly everyone is gorging on late UC unicorn, IBO and build fighters. They have Origin kits and of course they are stupid expensive, but folks still buy them. I'm ok with this shift from funkopop/nendoroid and towards model kits.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/MassanModel/status/970913199636664325

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Huh, well how about that. I actually live close enough to the guy that I could go over one weekend and ask him JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Is.... that a Zaku....?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cursed image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is.... that a Zaku....?

Acguy.

Or, well, Acgal, I suppose. If it was made for that pun, it does explain things. Sorta.