Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
isn't the juicero "cold-pressed juice is magic" guy now selling raw water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

dude's determined to overcharge people for the squirts

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

i would say it's underengineered. speccing expensive custom cnc-machined parts all over the place is lazy design. their engineer probably went "i could make a device that squeezes bags for like a $40 BOM, but that would take some effort and we're gonna sell this for 400 bucks so gently caress it"

alternate theory is that their engineer was clever and deliberately overbuilt it so that in a year or two he* could replace the expensive aluminum part with a cheaper polymer version, cut the production cost 50%, and get a big fat bonus

*i try to use male and female pronouns equally in my writing but in this case who am i kidding

they originally cost $700 and $1200 for the "commercial" model that was the exact same but they allowed you to order more juice, because you'd e installing it in your dumb health food restaurant

also just use they

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sagebrush posted:

i would say it's underengineered. speccing expensive custom cnc-machined parts all over the place is lazy design. their engineer probably went "i could make a device that squeezes bags for like a $40 BOM, but that would take some effort and we're gonna sell this for 400 bucks so gently caress it"

alternate theory is that their engineer was clever and deliberately overbuilt it so that in a year or two he* could replace the expensive aluminum part with a cheaper polymer version, cut the production cost 50%, and get a big fat bonus

*i try to use male and female pronouns equally in my writing but in this case who am i kidding

did you watch the boltr breakdown because he goes over a lot of this. they designed it to uniformly squeeze the entire bag in one motion which requires big beefy drive/bearings/interlocks that can withstand hundreds of pounds of pressure when the same work could have been trivially accomplished by a small roller working from one end to the other and much less force. There weren't really any places to cheap out on materials while using the same design because nobody does it that way (for good reason)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

isn't the juicero "cold-pressed juice is magic" guy now selling raw water

yes he is still selling diarrhea

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

did you watch the boltr breakdown because he goes over a lot of this. they designed it to uniformly squeeze the entire bag in one motion which requires big beefy drive/bearings/interlocks that can withstand hundreds of pounds of pressure when the same work could have been trivially accomplished by a small roller working from one end to the other and much less force. There weren't really any places to cheap out on materials while using the same design because nobody does it that way (for good reason)

yeah this is what I was talking abou and I was probably thinking of the same video. the device was designed to do far more work than the task should have needed, which is what required it to have so many expensive characteristics

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

fishmech posted:

which is still absurd, because the actual business model was "pay us $8 or more per lovely juice pack that makes less than a glass". not "buy the machine which we're taking a loss on anyway"

equally absurd: taking hundreds of dollars of loss on a machine that applies pressure to bagged fruit

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

e: nah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

equally absurd: taking hundreds of dollars of loss on a machine that applies pressure to bagged fruit

the russians used a hammer

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
https://twitter.com/hypervisible/status/970276540419395584

:owned:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

the russians Bloomberg used a hammer their hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lutHF5HhVA

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

if only someone had posted that on the previous page

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

infernal machines posted:

if only someone had posted that on the previous page

forgive me senpai

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Caganer posted:

forgive me senpai

don't post here.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Caganer posted:

forgive me senpai

the only unforgivable sin is quoting stymie

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

h/t sneaking mission

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/970741761537540096

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/WarrenIsDead/status/970663058359095296?s=19

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

they probably have a big bank of questions they poll about with the same options and didn't put much thought into them.

i got hit with a few poorly worded ones when i used it, though never this bad

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Caganer posted:

they probably have a big bank of questions they poll about with the same options and didn't put much thought into them.

don't post here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Caganer posted:

yeah the survey seems to have a lot of variants, none of the questions I got were like that

I did get one question along the lines of "which of these shortcomings do you think is most responsible for the poor state of facebook" so I checked Other and wrote in "survey does not allow me to select all of them"

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

haveblue posted:

yeah the survey seems to have a lot of variants, none of the questions I got were like that

I did get one question along the lines of "which of these shortcomings do you think is most responsible for the poor state of facebook" so I checked Other and wrote in "survey does not allow me to select all of them"

yeah, the issue is all of SV is obsessed with quantitative research, to the point they'd rather run 2-3k surveys until they figure out their research question than 1 well worded qualitative questionnaire to drive the design of a multiple choice survey, and 1 larger one to verify the findings.

when you're procedural generating a bunch of versions of surveys w/o a human looking at it all sort of weirdness happens but hey, at least you automated it!1!!!!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Caganer posted:

yeah, the issue is all of SV is obsessed with quantitative research, to the point they'd rather run 2-3k surveys until they figure out their research question than 1 well worded qualitative questionnaire to drive the design of a multiple choice survey, and 1 larger one to verify the findings.

when you're procedural generating a bunch of versions of surveys w/o a human looking at it all sort of weirdness happens but hey, at least you automated it!1!!!!

hi everyone this is maskenfreheit

how many people have you tried to doxx over PM today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Caganer posted:

go away

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yes, the problem here is poor wording.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

lol i was wondering which lovely rereg he was

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FMguru posted:

lol i was wondering which lovely rereg he was

:same:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is probably the result of a completely separate team being asked to provide the problematic scenarios vs. the team who wrote responses, hell the ages might even be generated by algorithm or they might have gone full machine learning and had the ages, genders and tasks varied over a bunch of values

my understanding of their love of testing is that facebook makes "we tested 31 different colors of blue to find the best one" seem sane

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

they had to prepulp the fruit to make it work reliably which is why the hand squeezing worked so well

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duz posted:

they had to prepulp the fruit to make it work reliably which is why the hand squeezing worked so well

yes, prepulped completely unpreserved fruit shipped in packs that are open to the air

because anything else would kill the life essence of the fruit, you see

its why they initially only shipped to a few pockets of california and later to selected parts of most states, because they couldn't actually guarantee the stuff would arrive unrotted outside those areas

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duz posted:

yeah I think the original idea was that it would be just cut up fruit but who could have possibly guessed that commercial juicers aren't just 2 plates that smash together??

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also why they wanted the squeezymachine to read RFIDs so that they could stop you from slurping moldjuice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fishmech posted:

its why they initially only shipped to a few pockets of california and later to selected parts of most states, because they couldn't actually guarantee the stuff would arrive unrotted outside those areas

also the justification for their qr-code package drm

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qirex posted:

yeah I think the original idea was that it would be just cut up fruit but who could have possibly guessed that commercial juicers aren't just 2 plates that smash together??

commercial "cold press juice" things are though. thats the sort of stuff he used at his longtime chain of cold pressed juice outlets that eventually went bankrupt

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also why they wanted the squeezymachine to read RFIDs so that they could stop you from slurping moldjuice

what a yummy slime mold juice

reframe it as a diy bootlegging by mail operation

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

slurping moldjuice

new product idea: "raw" kombucha

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

graph posted:

According to his email complaint he just sent to me, you just "doxed" him and "encouraged users to harass" him.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

also the justification for their qr-code package drm

lol that's right it was qr-code not rfid

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
isn't maskenfreheit outta kittyjail now

lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lowtax posted:

According to his email complaint he just sent to me, you just "doxed" him and "encouraged users to harass" him.

NICE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
gonna have my name legally changed to "president beep" so that i can whip out a bullshit doxxing claim whenever someone posts my username.