Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well if his dad did it then, yes they did, it was done by a royal prince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

I would think that the Wakandans have a ritual for that sort of thing, like they do with literally everything, and any tattoo inked without that ritual would be unsanctioned or invalid. After Killmonger shows his tattoo, they could have just said, "Yeah, but we didn't do that."

His father said it would let him go to Wakanda one day, and I'm willing to assume he knows more about Wakandan rituals than you do.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

His father said it would let him go to Wakanda one day, and I'm willing to assume he knows more about Wakandan rituals than you do.
You assume incorrectly! :colbert:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
in a film about an African country, the three letters C I A actually have a lot of ugly significance, minor character or not.
It was no accident and his role in the film IS deserving of examination. They could've made him interpol or some poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well they couldn't have made HIM Interpol since he was established in an earlier movie, but they could have had a different character. I think they just really wanted Bilbo and Gollum to face off again.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ahhhh he was in Civil War? Yet another thing I don't remember from that Triumph of Gray

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Thing is, he wasn’t CIA in Civil War. He was part of some black ops Tom Clancy counteterrorism outfit. Making him explicitly CIA was done specifically for Black Panther.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fart City posted:

Thing is, he wasn’t CIA in Civil War. He was part of some black ops Tom Clancy counteterrorism outfit. Making him explicitly CIA was done specifically for Black Panther.

According to Wikipedia it’s the CIA's Joint Counter Terrorism Center.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Phylodox posted:

According to Wikipedia it’s the CIA's Joint Counter Terrorism Center.

Hm. Must have misremembered. My memory had it as something more vague and not specifically linked to any agency.

Serf
May 5, 2011

at the end of winter soldier we see the birth/elevation of the cia in the wake of shield falling apart, and then by civil war they seem to be doing most of the stuff shield used to do

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ably assisted by their noble friends at Northrop Grumman, I'm sure!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Serf posted:

at the end of winter soldier we see the birth/elevation of the cia in the wake of shield falling apart, and then by civil war they seem to be doing most of the stuff shield used to do

It's really funny. In Civil War it's abundantly clear that SHIELD has just been outsourced/privatized.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's an ugly scene which is just there to give the CIA a heroic moment by drone striking some Bad Guys With Guns.*

*Wakandans following orders from their monarch.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also, I've seen a number of people claim Black Panther usurps the throne KM rightfully won... I don't think that's correct. As he said in the movie, he did not yield, and he was not killed. The challenge was still live. He was still King and KM was still challenging him. T'Challa doesn't reinstall himself. Technically he was never uninstalled.

It’s not cut and dry. I mean, the higher-ups crown Erik and give him the herb. That makes him king. We’d also have to assume that outside help for T’Challa isn’t disqualifying because he apparently would’ve been dead if M’Baku and his crew hadn’t interfered.

Unfortunately, the studio decided to cut the 25 minutes of courtroom scenes, starring James Earl Jones as the supreme justice and Chadwick Boseman double-cast as a Wakandan-Thurgood-Marshall-type, from the theatrical release.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Deleted scene where T'Challa discovers a law which makes him King again hidden inside a large, wooden acorn.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

josh04 posted:

Deleted scene where T'Challa discovers a law which makes him King again hidden inside a large, wooden acorn.

“It says right here that you have to establish permanent residence, defined as a minimum of 6 consecutive months, in Wakanda prior to challenging for the monarchy and you have to formally renounce any other foreign citizenship claims you may hold. :smug:

<audience gasps as another Kendrick Lamar beat drops>

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

josh04 posted:

“You will now have the strength of the Christmas Prince stripped away”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Black Panther, but with Santa Claus.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Black Panther 2: The Emoluments Clause

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

Black Panther, but with Santa Claus.

The Panther Clause

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WB is courting Christopher McQuarrie to direct Green Lantern Corp. This might lead to Tom Cruise playing Hal Jordan, mentoring new recruit John Stewart. Personally he should play one of the aliens instead.

http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/03/warner-bros-courting-christopher-mcquarrie-to-helm-green-lantern-corps/

In other news, here's Shazam. They're filming a scene set in a toy store. Looks like merchandising is as strong as ever in the DCEU, but will Batman's lawyer pay them a visit
? And making unlicensed Harley toys seems like an invitation to get yourself killed.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 6, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait

Tiger

Wait

Please let that be

Please for the love of God give me this

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd like for (DC) Captain Marvel to be a hero who wants to be a part of the Justice League, but they pay no attention to him. Then, when we get Green Lantern Corps and Stewart joins the Justice League, Cap's like "Oh COME ON."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

I'd like for (DC) Captain Marvel to be a hero who wants to be a part of the Justice League, but they pay no attention to him. Then, when we get Green Lantern Corps and Stewart joins the Justice League, Cap's like "Oh COME ON."

I think it just make sense to pick a trained soldier over a middle-school teen.

Then Hal Jordan butts in and says if the girl is smart and dedicated enou... oh it's a boy never mind.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He didn't really take part in the Wakandan civil war at all apart from sharing some intel on Killmonger, he just just shot down some planes that were posing a threat to the outside world and which had zero impact on the fighting on the ground.

ALL HE DID was SHOOT DOWN SOME PLANES

Coincidentally, the planes were actually the villain's plans.

Countries have actually gone to war over a lot less.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The CIA thing gets a bit weird given he's not exactly on orders from Uncle Sam to do anything but buy vibranium from the one guy in the world who has a supply, iirc. He ends up involved basically by happenstance, and returns the life saving favour by aiding the people who took a huge risk for him.

It's the mere use of those three letters that, understandably, makes it get iffy.

What risk did they take for him? Wakanda has managed to keep everything concealed for thousands of years.

He doesn't do that. You're deliberately misrepresenting the plot of the movie.

It is the literal sequence of events in the movie.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also I didn't quite get why Killmonger needed to get a buyer in Busan for the vibranium? It seemed his plan all along was to kill Klaw and use him to get into Wakanda. So after getting him working for him and involved in the heist, why not just do that? Why stage a sale at all? My only thinking on this was he wanted to use the CIA and Wakandans to thin his numbers, but that's a little convoluted, his plan to take the throne is very simple.

Also, I've seen a number of people claim Black Panther usurps the throne KM rightfully won... I don't think that's correct. As he said in the movie, he did not yield, and he was not killed. The challenge was still live. He was still King and KM was still challenging him. T'Challa doesn't reinstall himself. Technically he was never uninstalled.

The succession rules are stupid as gently caress, but the movie hinges on them, and so we're forced to care about a bunch of stuff they barely illustrate.

sean10mm posted:

Building your entire reading of Black Panther around the token white guy used for comic relief sure is... something? :thunk:

I agree, building readings on things that are in the movie is weird as hell.

Having THE ACTUAL CIA, not a marvel comic equivalent, help an African nation against a young black revolutionary is a loving loaded piece of imagery and ignoring it would be dumb as poo poo.

The only reason we're still talking about it is folk like you insisting on ignoring it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Americans have trouble realizing the CIA is one of the vilest organizations in recent history.

Edit: Imagine a movie depicting heroic Al-Qaeda agents.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Or a movie about jewish freedom fighters with a nazi wandering round. You wouldn't be able to dismiss that with 'well, he's only making the coffee and he does what he's told' or 'he's just comic relief'

Or a bunch of Aztecs teaming up with Conquistadors

MonsieurChoc posted:

Americans have trouble realizing the CIA is one of the vilest organizations in recent history.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

i am the bird posted:

It’s not cut and dry. I mean, the higher-ups crown Erik and give him the herb. That makes him king. We’d also have to assume that outside help for T’Challa isn’t disqualifying because he apparently would’ve been dead if M’Baku and his crew hadn’t interfered.

Unfortunately, the studio decided to cut the 25 minutes of courtroom scenes, starring James Earl Jones as the supreme justice and Chadwick Boseman double-cast as a Wakandan-Thurgood-Marshall-type, from the theatrical release.

josh04 posted:

The duel for ascension can only be won by submission or death so Killmonger was never the rightful ruler at any point.

Snowman_McK posted:

It is the literal sequence of events in the movie.

The CIA did not install T'Challa as the ruler of the country and saying that they did is extremely leading terminology.

Serf posted:

cia is bad
change my mind

No one gives a poo poo what you think about the CIA

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 6, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The dual for ascension can only be won by submission or death so Killmonger was never the rightful ruler at any point.

Neither of them were rightful rulers at any point.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“Snowglobe of Doom”" post="“481897531”"]
The dual for ascension can only be won by submission or death so Killmonger was never the rightful ruler at any point.

The CIA did not install T’Challa as the ruler of the country and saying that they did is extremely leading terminology.
[/quote]

T’Challa would have been dead twice over without outside interference. He would be dead without the herb that he’s expressly forbidden from using during the trial. He lost. He’s not king anymore.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

Neither of them were rightful rulers at any point.

T'Challa won the challenge against M'Baku fair and square.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

T’Challa would have been dead twice over without outside interference. He would be dead without the herb that he’s expressly forbidden from using during the trial. He lost. He’s not king anymore.

Yeah that's not how it works. Killmonger didn't become king therefore T'Challa never stopped being king.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The CIA did not install T'Challa as the ruler of the country and saying that they did is extremely leading terminology.

No, but he contributed materially to him returning to power.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

No, but he contributed materially to him returning to power.

Which is implicitly not "installing" him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Which is implicitly not "installing" him.

That's a comment on the power relationships involved, not the CIA agent's motives.

A CIA agent materially helps T'Challa get the throne back.

Now, the phrasing is more correct, what does that change about the larger comment on the implied relationship with the CIA?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 6, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Yeah that's not how it works. Killmonger didn't become king therefore T'Challa never stopped being king.

T’Challa ceases to be king when Forrest Whitaker saves him getting his head chopped off. He throws in the towel. Contest over. Everyone gasps because it is the climactic moment of the duel.

This is all immaterial because talking about who should be the rightful king based on who got beat up is missing the forest for the trees. Wakanda’s political system is hosed which is why a question of succession boils down to a fight fight.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Which conveyed authority in Wakanda, but cannot convey rightful authority.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

in a film about an African country, the three letters C I A actually have a lot of ugly significance, minor character or not.
It was no accident and his role in the film IS deserving of examination. They could've made him interpol or some poo poo.

I agree. Maybe you guys should actually read Chris Priest's Black Panther before talking about this, because the changes they made wrt that guy are very interesting.

I originally wrote this more abrasively but no, I 100% agree with you guys. Fuckin Disney

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 6, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Black Panther #116 clearly explains why a heroic CIA agent was necessary.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There's a point to him being a government agent in the comics. The point is lost in the movie because Disney are bitches who think the CIA is cool.

Ross is just some lovely diplomatic attache rear end in a top hat who Black Panther exploits so he can get away with stuff and the writer uses to make fun of the State Department.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 6, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's cool that you countered your own point, saving anyone else the bother of actually reading comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Marvel wanted a major white character for marketing purposes, so Priest put in a racist loser who can't do anything but get yelled at by Bill Clinton. That's funny to me.

E: People should know about the comics so they know why the character was there to begin with and how thoroughly Disney hosed it up by keeping him.

I'm not saying the character in the movie is good, at all. He's pointless and delivers a bad message. I just think it's worth thinking about how stuff like that gets written is all. They didn't make up a character from whole cloth; they took a character that's supposed to be a kind of criticism of the government and made him show how useful and important the government is instead. That's pretty telling, right? I think in some ways that's even more damning than if they just made him up altogether.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 6, 2018