Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Raw was fine. Worth watching, very French, solid 7/10. It doesn't reach the heights of some of the new French extremity (well not so new anymore) so it's not quite as disturbing as say, I Stand Alone...but it's entertaining and there were more than a few body horror-y scenes like the Brazilian wax that made me squirm.
i was mostly just enjoying the Super Frenchness of the dad offering his daughter cigarettes and the nurse lighting up in the hospital with her patient :lol:
Obviously still better than most of the horror stuff you find on Netflix tho, like The Ritual, Cloverfield Paradox, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get why a bunch of you are randomly bagging on the Ritual now. poo poo was good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh no I thought it was fine. Just not as good as Raw. Putting it next to Cloverfield Paradox muddled that a bit maybe. A lil cheesy in parts but I liked it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had mixed feelings on Raw. It was interesting and well made, but so much of it was so bizarre I couldn't tell what was intentional and what was just super French. Like, am I supposed to think that it's a normal thing for veterinary students in France to go through a literal hell of hazing, violence and sexual abuse (that the school seems to be fine with)? Does the movie take place in some surreal fantasy hellscape or is that what French college is like? :lol:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's a good point tho it rapidly became part of the weird charm for me. I ultimately settled past "this is what French college hazing is like??" to "this is what hazing is like at a weird French vet school"

What kinda cracked me up and had me pondering was the whole road with trees on the side.THE ROAD OF DEATH. Do drivers always hit a loving tree, let alone at such a speed so as to sustain instant death or mortal injuries? For once I wanted someone to just miss a tree or brake and be like Uhhh WTF lady???
I guess French cops just assume there's a lot of animals scavenging too...
I did like that the film immediately anticipated any horror cliches me and my friends called out and professionally addressed them immediately.
"Go to the doctor for that freaking rash!! Like, yesterday!"
"Ohh god I bet she hides it..."
*immediately goes to doctor*

"What don't tell me they're gonna hide the roommates body or something?"
"There's no way they're getting away with that...there's blood all over."
*sister is immediately jailed*

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
*watches Suspiria* Am I really supposed to believe that all ballet schools are these veritable covens?

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

If anyone cares, my wife attended an accedited vet school in the United States and, while not quite so extreme, the hazing was brutal; the thing is, the hazing wasn’t perpetrated so much by fellow students as it was by clients in practice. I enjoyed Raw quite a bit more having experienced the psychological beatdown that vet school can inflict, as well as the fact that being a DVM is just not a good career move. If you want to be an animal doctor “because you love animals,” then just abandon hope and work at Petsmart.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

*watches Suspiria* Am I really supposed to believe that all ballet schools are these veritable covens?

Tbh I don’t think that’s a great comparison, but a big part of the disconnect for me with Raw is that it otherwise seems grounded in reality, so the really outlandish stuff sticks out and gives it a really odd vibe.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

If anyone cares, my wife attended an accedited vet school in the United States and, while not quite so extreme, the hazing was brutal; the thing is, the hazing wasn’t perpetrated so much by fellow students as it was by clients in practice. I enjoyed Raw quite a bit more having experienced the psychological beatdown that vet school can inflict, as well as the fact that being a DVM is just not a good career move. If you want to be an animal doctor “because you love animals,” then just abandon hope and work at Petsmart.

I'd like to hear some more (I'm assuming that it's mostly about how the average Joe is stupid and doesn't know how to care for animals).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Just watched the first episode of Babylon Berlin on Netflix and it seems really good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My office moved this summer to space in our school's vet college. There are anatomy classrooms right above us and the large animal anatomy theater is right next door. I'm terrified to wander around the building lest I stumble across an eviscerated horse.

edit: there's an informal teacher's lounge in the hall on the way to the bathroom that has a large box just inside labeled "dog, female"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit: there's an informal teacher's lounge in the hall on the way to the bathroom that has a large box just inside labeled "dog, female"

People probably stash their lunch in there so no one steals it.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Mute and thought it was a very good movie. It definitely doesn't have the boilerplate structure to it, and I thought that was fine.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Baron von Eevl posted:

My office moved this summer to space in our school's vet college. There are anatomy classrooms right above us and the large animal anatomy theater is right next door. I'm terrified to wander around the building lest I stumble across an eviscerated horse.

Sounds like it's a bitch to clean up

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Just watched "Ravenous" on Netflix and drat was it a beautifully shot. Netflix gave me the trailer so I had a good idea of what to expect regarding the zombies going in, but I will spoiler a bit just in case.

The pacing and tension buildup were well done. The sense of foreboding and dread that took hold of me was similar to what I felt when watching "The Hunt." I don't know if fast and smart zombies has been done before (probably has), but working together, creating monuments(?) was a different take. Not only working together, but being effectively silent until the moment of attack and forming a cohesive groups to get these last few survivors.

The note that they found at one of the houses gave the sense that a significant time has passed since whatever happened happened, but only a couple looked like they had started to waste away. Even if they ate every living thing in the area I would have expected some to look famished, even if this was a virus a la 28 days later.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but the bird at the end, past the credits, was it meant to be a bird flu caused this?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thought you were talking about the old Guy Pearce movie and got really confused
Guess I'll check this out

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Thought you were talking about the old Guy Pearce movie and got really confused
Guess I'll check this out

Hah, Yeah when I saw "zombies" I was like man this guy really misunderstood that movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been skipping over Ravenous because I thought it was the 90's movie too (decent flick I just watched it not that long ago)

There's a bunch of confusing poo poo on Netflix and streaming in general lately. I was in the mood to watch 12 Monkey and Taken, before realizing they are both TV shows I have no interest in watching, and Cabin Fever is on Netflix, but it's a remake as far as I can tell? Of a movie thats like 10 years old. :wtf:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh my god Cabin Fever came out 16 years ago I feel so loving old right now. I still don't get why they remade it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

It’s really a new low for television. Dude is loving terrible.

Derren Brown has made a career out of causing people immense psychological distress and it rules a lot, get hosed

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Oh my god Cabin Fever came out 16 years ago I feel so loving old right now. I still don't get why they remade it.

I learned yesterday they're remaking Memento.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Blind Rasputin posted:

So we are supposed to take away that the end means he is still inside? I was wondering if that was just any old security camera, and it’s looking away from them is kind of signifying that he’s moved past the surveillance and doesn’t care anymore. It really did seem that he had escaped, especially with the third party rescuers and everything. His memories has never contained anyone else. As well, the way the news encapsulated the blackout and everything else that happened just.. made sense as a conclusion.

But at the same time, it’s hard to imagine the author using that camera as a plot device without intentionally meaning to convey that, yes, he’s still inside and has resigned to stay that way.

I actually thought Gabby was an AI as well, and was like the AI starting at that thread of the coffee shop he went to and trying to unravel it as much as possible by allowing him to live out a fantasy.

poo poo was a very good movie. Better than most low budget sci fi films.

I watched the Ritual and gently caress that mess.

I doubt he is still inside, they already did a fake escape earlier in the movie, that would be cheap rehashing. Gabby=Howard is pretty obvious, though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

veni veni veni posted:

Eli Roth himself remade it. Guess he wanted to bring improved chops to it?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Eli Roth himself remade it. Guess he wanted to bring improved chops to it?

The improved chops of Travis Zariwny?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sir Kodiak posted:

The improved chops of Travis Zariwny?

Son of a bitch, I could have sworn Roth remade it. Am I thinking of a different recent movie or is my mind just plain loving with me?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Apparently there's a Netflix Workaholics movie coming out on 4/20? I just heard about this today.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Son of a bitch, I could have sworn Roth remade it. Am I thinking of a different recent movie or is my mind just plain loving with me?

Are you thinking of Michael Haneke remaking his 1997 Funny Games in 2007? That one was even shot in the same house as the first.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

I learned yesterday they're remaking Memento.

Please be a bad joke...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Field Mousepad posted:

Apparently there's a Netflix Workaholics movie coming out on 4/20? I just heard about this today.

The trailer looks fine. I didn't see every episode buy a double-header of that and Super Troopers 2 might be fun.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's so good about Inglorious Basterds that i've been missing all these years? it's on Netflix so relevant, i watched it again last night and i still find it boring except for Brad Pitt being cocky and the last 30 seconds where nazis actually get harmed at all. but i wanna get whats so cool about it. i confess i could watch it harder but i find it hard to fully focus on the bilingual 3 hour tarantino-esque ranting dialogue for what feels like little payoff. i do usually find tarantino's taste & sensibilities to be mostly cool & often funny, but in this one it feels lazy? like he's resting on the fact that it's a slow burn nazi comedy to be cool, and i think Fury did more what i wished basterds was like. i want to enjoy basterds more

good stuff on netflix i watched recently: Night Moves, Under the Skin, Elysium, The Lobster, Keanu (this one was just recently added in canada i think)

Parachute
May 18, 2003
idk man i was sweating bullets during that French milk scene at the beginning and knew i was in for a fun ride

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it reminds me of when i was in high school and watched In the Loop when it came out, hearing on the internet it'd be hilarious and then staring blank faced at the dry british political stuff. whats the joke??? i think i missed it every time

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Parachute posted:

idk man i was sweating bullets during that French milk scene at the beginning and knew i was in for a fun ride

That and the bar scene were tense as hell. And Brad Pitt speaking busted rear end Italian in a southern accent is hilarious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm pretty sure I've never been talked into liking a movie that I didn't like.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

conventionalcat posted:

it reminds me of when i was in high school and watched In the Loop when it came out, hearing on the internet it'd be hilarious and then staring blank faced at the dry british political stuff. whats the joke??? i think i missed it every time

On a similar but different note, I was a kid and I'd rent Mr. Bean tapes from Blockbuster. I remember taking one to watch at my babysitter's house during a break from school. It was the episode where he was at the pool and lost his trunks. I laughed hysterically. It was hilarious. My babysitter was a middle aged Christian woman and she just watched it baffled. Didn't find any of it funny. I asked my mom why the babysitter didn't find it funny, and my mom thought maybe because it was British humor. That was when I learned that there was a "British humor," and that it might fall flat on some of my fellow Americans.

It wasn't until later in life I remembered that experience. Mr. Bean is mostly physical humor and that crosses cultural barriers since there's so little dialogue and I had realized that my former babysitter had a broken funnybone.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

I'm pretty sure I've never been talked into liking a movie that I didn't like.

mostly agree but i feel like i'm literally missing something as a consequence of it not holding my attention. tastes change over the years and i've found myself appreciating movies after going back to them, was hoping to find that to be the case here since it was my first watch in years. thinking of rewatching it again soon with more attention cuz i don't hate it, just never clicked. definitely has its moments

edit: i do enjoy mr. bean

conventionalcat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 5, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The bar scene was too much tension for me. I would have preferred somewhat less tension.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bongo Bill posted:

The bar scene was too much tension for me. I would have preferred somewhat less tension.

okay i admit that was probably the only time i paid full attention during a scene where someone was talking german. these scenes were pretty funny but the rest of the movie i zoned out. dont understand German humour i guess but i'll rewatch soon cuz it's on Netflix! but so is Fury, & shia labeouf jon bernthal and brad pitt are hilarious in that one and kill way more nazis than the small room of theater goers in this

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Fury was an excellent movie until the last 20 minutes but even though the last 20 minutes go so over the top that it kinda spoils the rest of the film retroactively I still enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Being Eli Roth demanded that Eli Roth inject himself into the marketing.