Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As ridiculous as Kitchen Nightmares could be, it did a pretty good job of getting across the message that running a restaurant is not something that just anybody can do on a whim, so hopefully it's dissuaded a bunch of naive dreamers from starting up restaurants without really counting the cost. I know it's the first thing that pops into my head any time me or a family member mentions the idea in passing. It should definitely be required watching for anyone who's considering it.

Also, Amy's Baking Company. I know it wasn't actually the series finale, but it should've been, because it was better than anything you could come up with. It was just the perfect storm of everything that could possibly go wrong on that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

UK Kitchen Nightmares owned and made the US version unwatchable for us.

"The Office" chat: watched "A Benihana Christmas" last night. Michael and Andy go to Benihanas to help Michael get over a breakup. They successfully hit on a waitress and convince her to bring a friend to their office party. But when they show up, it's just two completely different Asian women. They are ostensibly the same character but played by different actors. I want to make the argument that they are playing on how horribly racist Michael is (he marks one of them on the arm because he can't remember who "his" Asian waitress is) but the episode spends zero time examining race or saying anything of substance about the switch. Just a weird thing that should have been weird when it aired ten years ago and is definitely weird today.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something kind of interesting, apparently Mama Cherri from Kitchen Nightmares UK Season 2 has been vlogging recently and she went into what happened after Gordon left -

after a year passed (between the visit and the episode airing) in which she had to struggle like hell to keep the doors open, the show aired and suddenly likely due to Gordon's praise of her food, the restaurant was suddenly busy as hell for 6 months, phone ringing of the hook and hundreds of covers calling - unfortunately her initial premises only had room for 40 people so she had to start sending 80 covers a day away because there was just no where to seat them, which build some negative word of mouth.

On some advice that she now feels mixed about (she thinks in hindsight that it was bad advice but there wasn't much else she could have done) she relocated to a bigger building and did quite well until 2008 - the Recession. Suddenly people weren't coming out to eat anymore, Friday through Sunday were still always booked solid and she was doing everything right, going out to drum up business, trying to spread the word and get more covers. Problem is at that point she had 25 staff in the much bigger kitchen to deal with the now 150-seater she was running, and after years of not being able to keep making profits because of having to pay 25 staff members who weren't doing much outside of weekends, (and the three days a week that the restaurant was totally packed didn't help enough) she and her husband went bankrupt.

She has no regrets because she had a good run, and she's gone back to teaching and fostering kids. She did fairly well and she was one of the more likable people on the show so I'm glad she did ok before the world economy went to poo poo and killed all the small businesses. :unsmith:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I've heard that many of the families featured in Extreme Makeover: Home Edition end up struggling with their shoddily made homes and massive tax increases after taping. It's also weird yo me that it spun off of Extreme Makeover which while I've never seen it seems like it must have been more explicitly exploitative.

In later seasons, they started giving the families big cash amounts in addition to the makeover, which probably made up for the extra taxes and bills to some extent. Those huge McMansions must cost a fortune to heat and power, and a lot of the participants had minimum wage jobs or were on welfare. To be honest, if I lived in a lovely area like some of the people on the show, I wouldn't want a huge house that stood out. Especially since they filled them with expensive gadgets and cars.

Sir Lemming posted:

As ridiculous as Kitchen Nightmares could be, it did a pretty good job of getting across the message that running a restaurant is not something that just anybody can do on a whim, so hopefully it's dissuaded a bunch of naive dreamers from starting up restaurants without really counting the cost. I know it's the first thing that pops into my head any time me or a family member mentions the idea in passing. It should definitely be required watching for anyone who's considering it.

The amount of people who think they can run a restaurant/cafe is amazing. Half the people on KN had never worked in a restaurant in their life, but had run some other, completely unrelated business and thought it'd be the same thing.

I have a family member who wants to retire next year and run a B&B, cos I'm sure it's SO easy. I don't think they quite appreciate how difficult hospitality can be.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

BioEnchanted posted:

On some advice that she now feels mixed about (she thinks in hindsight that it was bad advice but there wasn't much else she could have done)

Was this advice from Gordon or someone else?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MikeCrotch posted:

Was this advice from Gordon or someone else?

Someone else, the move happened 18 months after Gordon left because the show caused her business to boom so hard the old building couldn't take it. 12 months till the show aired, 6 months packed to the rafters until bad word of mouth from having to turn away customers, causing a climate of "Why bother going there we'll never get in"

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Something kind of interesting, apparently Mama Cherri from Kitchen Nightmares UK Season 2 has been vlogging recently and she went into what happened after Gordon left -

after a year passed (between the visit and the episode airing) in which she had to struggle like hell to keep the doors open, the show aired and suddenly likely due to Gordon's praise of her food, the restaurant was suddenly busy as hell for 6 months, phone ringing of the hook and hundreds of covers calling - unfortunately her initial premises only had room for 40 people so she had to start sending 80 covers a day away because there was just no where to seat them, which build some negative word of mouth.

On some advice that she now feels mixed about (she thinks in hindsight that it was bad advice but there wasn't much else she could have done) she relocated to a bigger building and did quite well until 2008 - the Recession. Suddenly people weren't coming out to eat anymore, Friday through Sunday were still always booked solid and she was doing everything right, going out to drum up business, trying to spread the word and get more covers. Problem is at that point she had 25 staff in the much bigger kitchen to deal with the now 150-seater she was running, and after years of not being able to keep making profits because of having to pay 25 staff members who weren't doing much outside of weekends, (and the three days a week that the restaurant was totally packed didn't help enough) she and her husband went bankrupt.

She has no regrets because she had a good run, and she's gone back to teaching and fostering kids. She did fairly well and she was one of the more likable people on the show so I'm glad she did ok before the world economy went to poo poo and killed all the small businesses. :unsmith:

She seemed like the sweetest lady ever and I don't think I've ever seen Ramsay be more tender and supportive of any other KN participant.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It was also, as far as I can remember, the only resturaunt where he loved every last bite of the food. His only complaint was the presentation.

vv owned vv

Ariong has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Mar 5, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If I recall, it was also the only KN where Ramsay actually liked the food.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Yeah he loved it and was really sad that the lazy chef didn't want to make it from scratch. Instead he let the poor lady premake it all so he could just reheat it.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I watched it five years ago but I thought she was the one who wanted to do that? I remember he loved her food but she was very into doing a ton of the dishes as meal prep a day or two ahead of time. Anyone watched it recently and can confirm? I'll believe anyone since it was so long ago for me

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The one success story I like is when he helps a French chef that's running an ultra fine dining restaurant in a small town in Scotland. Throughout the whole episode Ramsay is bitching about how the food is way too complicated and expensive even for him. Cut to a few years later the French guy moved back to France and now has a Michelin star.

Don't open a restaurant in Scotland.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

big cummers ONLY posted:

But when they show up, it's just two completely different Asian women. They are ostensibly the same character but played by different actors. I want to make the argument that they are playing on how horribly racist Michael is (he marks one of them on the arm because he can't remember who "his" Asian waitress is) but the episode spends zero time examining race or saying anything of substance about the switch.

I've always been 99% sure that was indeed an intentional joke, it was just subtle. Surely they could've just re-done the one or two shots of the waitress in the restaurant if something came up...

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I do enjoy the show but it always rubbed me the wrong way when they'd make a big deal about some kid cutting onions in the kitchen or waiting tables not showing up for work or being lazy and Gordon goes off about their work ethic or bad teamwork, whatever. Like they're making minimum wage at a lovely restaurant where the psycho rear end owners yell at them and can't pay them half the time. They don't care about this loving restaurant and nor should they.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

big cummers ONLY posted:

I watched it five years ago but I thought she was the one who wanted to do that? I remember he loved her food but she was very into doing a ton of the dishes as meal prep a day or two ahead of time. Anyone watched it recently and can confirm? I'll believe anyone since it was so long ago for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAnZM_-ECHo

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The one success story I like is when he helps a French chef that's running an ultra fine dining restaurant in a small town in Scotland. Throughout the whole episode Ramsay is bitching about how the food is way too complicated and expensive even for him. Cut to a few years later the French guy moved back to France and now has a Michelin star.

Don't open a restaurant in Scotland.

If it’s the episode I’m thinking of, he was making the dishes too complicated and Michelin judges look for clarity. The owner was smitten with his chef and let him do whatever.

And Inverness is a nice town with many good restaurants.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

bitterandtwisted posted:

If it’s the episode I’m thinking of, he was making the dishes too complicated and Michelin judges look for clarity. The owner was smitten with his chef and let him do whatever.

And Inverness is a nice town with many good restaurants.

Even Ramsay shut down his fancy Scotland restaurant. Maybe it's changed since then, but when he was filming that episode he said the competition was stuff like steak sandwiches.

e: I shouldn't have said all of Scotland. But Ramsay was talking about Inverness being a smalltown kind of place.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Mar 5, 2018

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Something something "fine dining in Scotland is an Irn-Bru and a packet of crisps."

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I don't have the data to watch video at work but I'm assuming you are proving me right and agreeing that I have never been wrong about anything ever

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I'm driving along earlier today and all of a sudden this exchange from Seinfeld pops into my head:

quote:

KRAMER: HEY YOUR LIGHTS ARE ON!

GEORGE: It's a funeral procession. . . .

That got me thinking how back in the day it was so unusual to drive around in daylight with your headlights on that it warranted commenting on. I can only imagine how confusing this could be as a joke as daytime running lights become more and more common on cars.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

big cummers ONLY posted:

I don't have the data to watch video at work but I'm assuming you are proving me right and agreeing that I have never been wrong about anything ever

You're pretty much right. She took a lot of shortcuts and when Ramsay did his revisit thing a couple years later the restaurant was pre-frying everything. They had buckets and buckets and chicken all over the kitchen already cooked. That's fine in a KFC but this is supposed to be a restaurant.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Pretty impressive that Gordon still loved it. Just imagine how good that poo poo was fresh :o

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Doggles posted:

I'm driving along earlier today and all of a sudden this exchange from Seinfeld pops into my head:

That got me thinking how back in the day it was so unusual to drive around in daylight with your headlights on that it warranted commenting on. I can only imagine how confusing this could be as a joke as daytime running lights become more and more common on cars.

Saturn had a whole commercial where people kept yelling at a guy with daytime running lights.

It’s still not universal. My 2013 car doesn’t have them. I guess the LED mascara takes the place of daytime running lights on newer cars.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BioEnchanted posted:

Someone else, the move happened 18 months after Gordon left because the show caused her business to boom so hard the old building couldn't take it. 12 months till the show aired, 6 months packed to the rafters until bad word of mouth from having to turn away customers, causing a climate of "Why bother going there we'll never get in"

Just to clarify, even if you have a restaurant that’s full every night, is loved by a 3 Michelin starred chef and are featured on t.v, hubris can still gently caress you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Saturn had a whole commercial where people kept yelling at a guy with daytime running lights.

It’s still not universal. My 2013 car doesn’t have them. I guess the LED mascara takes the place of daytime running lights on newer cars.

I feel like daytime running lights were a late 90's/early 2000's trend that was generally unpopular and quietly phased out because it made you look like a dork and didn't actually provide any real benefit.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
My 1999 Camry had running lights, but my 2017 Kia doesn't. I have to keep reminding myself to actually turn them on and off, because it seemed like such a normal feature to me.

I think running lights help for when people forget to turn them off in, like, dim light. Driving in the rain without headlights on because the sun is still technically out.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

US drivers would get a discount on their insurance if they have daytime lights. Because multiple studies across several countries show that they reduce daytime accident rates by 7 to 15%.

And since many countries require drls by law, manufacturers now often design them in, like those weird LED eyebrows.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like daytime running lights were a late 90's/early 2000's trend that was generally unpopular and quietly phased out because it made you look like a dork and didn't actually provide any real benefit.

Wrong, 2x. They're still around and provide great benefit. Benefits vary but all studies find a reduction in number of multi-vehicle accidents

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Not something I watched recently, but Cubix's animation is really really dated. The story they are trying to tell is fun enough, I love how the Solex corruption fucks with the robot's behaviour/programming like the first one (a firefighting robot who starts shooting fire from his hoses after his logic circuit breaks and he gets stuck on the phrase "FIGHT FIRE WITH... FIRE!") was dumb as hell but memorable too. Also Kilobot was a pretty cool villain, and Cubix's modular nature was a neat idea. It's just graphically it looks like absolute garbage.

Also on another positive note I love Dr K's branding, with all his robots named things traditionally starting with C but with the C swapped with a K - Kannon, Krab, Kollosal, Katastrophe and Kan It (my personal favourite cockney horseshoe magnet :3:)

It also took me an embarassingly long time to get Kilobot's name - because of his fearsome nature I kept hearing his name as "Killerbot", but his power is to absorb the appearences and abilities of other robots - he is Kilobot because he has the potential to be 1000 robots in one. I liked how he showed just how dangerous Cubix's power could be, when Cubix tried to transform during an early fight by splitting his body, Kilobot did the same thing and trapped Cubix's parts between his own. Pretty slick move.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Mar 5, 2018

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

An old korean CG anime from the mid-2000s. The titular character was made out of cubes that could reform into different vehicles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubix

It was kind of my jam.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

An old korean CG anime from the mid-2000s. The titular character was made out of cubes that could reform into different vehicles.

It was kind of my jam.

Man that is a show I have not thought about in about 3 months. And a few years before that. Watching that on CBBC was great, although I never got to see the ending.

I have no idea how it aged but you might remember this Bio, a show that seemed distinctly amazing when I was a kid: Flint the Time Detective.

although it did have an episode about colombus which was distinctly favourable, which as far as I can tell is becoming increasingly uncommon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hattie Masters posted:

I have no idea how it aged but you might remember this Bio, a show that seemed distinctly amazing when I was a kid: Flint the Time Detective.

I remember that one. He had a stone club which had his dad's soul trapped inside it, so it had eyes and it could talk.

I also remember Cubix (which absolutely did and does look like PlayStation 1 cut-scene graphics) alongside stuff like Angela Anaconda and The Cramp Twins. I'm not sure how you'd describe that era of Cartoon Network. I think it was mostly following Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy.

I was much more into Disney cartoons - my favourite was Fillmore! which was Miami Vice except set in an American middle school. It was several years until I realised that its first episode is a full-on pastiche of The Silence of the Lambs except with bathroom graffiti instead of serial killing. It was great.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Mar 5, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The ending was cool IMO - Katastrophe was Dr K's base, animated with large amounts of Solex into a giant tripod/clown looking thing that went all stompy stompy.

I never saw Flint though.

I've actually been collecting the DVDs of Sabrina the Teenage Witch because I remembered it fondly, and even in my late 20s I still found it funny, likely due to nostalgia, but in the later series on that show Harvey becomes amazing. Due to the breakup a few seasons prior, he's no longer the boyfriend - he only shows back up because he's been dating Sabrina's spoiled roommate (although of course he is still the primary love interest, he breaks up with her initially because she lied to him). As a result, and due to memory charms no longer working on him and him therefore being in on things, he has so much more to do and he has some great comedic moments, and a surprisingly neat showdown with the Spellman family Matriarch where, due to a distrust of mortals, she puts him through hell and back to determine his loyalty to the family and honesty in his convictions.

There is a neat thing where the final test is her asking Harvey one question: "What do you think of me?" His response is initially complimentary, she is physically attractive, but to Zelda and Hilda's horror he continues, saying that he considers her to be a terrible person, and overly cruel in her endeavours. Her response is to thank him for his honesty, admit to being kind of a bitch, and give her blessing to his associating with the Spellmans. Late-series Harvey is kind of awesome. He also manages to notice when magic happens and Sabrina is unable to do anything about it, in one episode her evil twin sends her a virus that turns her into an airhead - Harvey immediately notices magic is afoot and takes her straight to her aunts.

There is also a hilarious conversation between Harvey and Josh when Josh says that he thinks he knows why Harvey and Sabrina broke up - Harvey thinks Josh is in on things and lets his guard down, not knowing that Josh is interpreting everything Harvey says as metaphorical, resulting in this hilarious exchange:

quote:

Harvey: "But that's nothing compared to the time she made me pregnant..."
Josh: "Wait... what are you talking about?"
Harvey: "What are you talking about :gonk: *flees coffee shop realising his error*"

Edit: and yeah, Filmore! was amazing. My mother even enjoyed an episode I taped once, although she wasn't a fan of the art style.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

The ending was cool IMO - Katastrophe was Dr K's base, animated with large amounts of Solex into a giant tripod/clown looking thing that went all stompy stompy.

I remember something about the bad guy being confronted by these aliens from out of nowhere who were probably there so they could be set up as the villains of a second season which never happened. Wasn't there also a bit where the news reporter character who'd recurred throughout the series turns out to be some kind of cyborg possessed by a malevolent energy being in the final episode?

quote:

I've actually been collecting the DVDs of Sabrina the Teenage Witch because I remembered it fondly, and even in my late 20s I still found it funny, likely due to nostalgia, but in the later series on that show Harvey becomes amazing. Due to the breakup a few seasons prior, he's no longer the boyfriend - he only shows back up because he's been dating Sabrina's spoiled roommate (although of course he is still the primary love interest, he breaks up with her initially because she lied to him). As a result, and due to memory charms no longer working on him and him therefore being in on things, he has so much more to do and he has some great comedic moments, and a surprisingly neat showdown with the Spellman family Matriarch where, due to a distrust of mortals, she puts him through hell and back to determine his loyalty to the family and honesty in his convictions.

When I was little, I had this idea that Sailor Moon was some kind of weird Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon (there was an actual Sabrina cartoon by Disney, which was nominally connected to the live-action show) from Japan, because the main character was a blonde girl with magic powers called Serena (which I always misheard as "Sabrina") and her sidekick was a talking black cat.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

big cummers ONLY posted:

UK Kitchen Nightmares owned and made the US version unwatchable for us.

"The Office" chat: watched "A Benihana Christmas" last night. Michael and Andy go to Benihanas to help Michael get over a breakup. They successfully hit on a waitress and convince her to bring a friend to their office party. But when they show up, it's just two completely different Asian women. They are ostensibly the same character but played by different actors. I want to make the argument that they are playing on how horribly racist Michael is (he marks one of them on the arm because he can't remember who "his" Asian waitress is) but the episode spends zero time examining race or saying anything of substance about the switch. Just a weird thing that should have been weird when it aired ten years ago and is definitely weird today.

They say on the commentary somewhere that the joke was supposed to be that they couldn't convince the cute waitresses to come back and had to settle for two uggos, but casting didn't get the message and didn't cast ugly actresses. I'm not sure the joke would've landed anyway, without a line like, "Our waitresses said they were busy, but these two were eager to come with us!"

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

That explains it. And they're idiots because Kulap Vilaysack is :swoon:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BioEnchanted posted:

It was kind of my jam.

What loving time traveling hobo is recommending you TV shows and video games?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I firmly believe nothing BioEnchanted posts about exists until he posts about it, then it magically manifests itself in the real world as if it was always there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I blame that loving Monkey's Paw. All I wished for was to only see good media. The fucker just made me like everything regardless of quality.