Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what even is a permission?

i have an external drive connected to a lunix/kodi box, and i’m trying to reach it over the network via osx using sonarr. i’m getting a permissions error where [username] doesn’t have write access, but osx says i do

OS X ------> ~network magicks~----> OpenElec running Kodi -> External drive

i installed sonarr via homebrew cask if that matters. docker was also an option? i don’t know what i’m doing!

selinux?
why is openelec using smb if you're on a mac
has the openelec server given the soluau user permissions to that share

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

selinux?

idk what selinux is
when i use cmd+K to connect to the openelec server it shows smb at the beginning. idk why
openelec is set to share everything with the network

i am :kiddo:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this seems to just be a problem on the osx end. I can read files just fine w/Kodi and it is set to share everything with everyone

should i try a different filesystem for the external drive? i used HFS+

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if you can get to a root shell on your openelec box try the following:
sestatus
ls -laZ /mnt/externaldrive
(where /mnt/externaldrive is the mount point on the openelec box for the external drive)

if selinux is set to enforcing, the samba server on the openelec box might not have access to read the share. you can fix this by either
A) changing the selinux context on the external drive with semanage fcontext -a -t samba_share_t "/mnt/externaldrive(/.*)?" and then restorecon -R -v /mnt/externaldrive
B) allow samba to read any file on the server with setsebool -P samba_export_all_ro 1, or read and write any file with setsebool -P samba_export_all_rw 1
also both of these are "permanent" which means they persist across reboots

if selinux is set to disabled or permissive, then none of that will do anything. if kodi can access it locally, try entering a different username/password when you mount the share on your mac, like for instance the kodi account's username and password

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 4, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

selinux?

does Linux even have something comparable to smb?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

openelec/kodi has an option to use SMB for sharing in this instance

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

echinopsis posted:

honestly all but one of these things in my house is overkill but I just love the idea that you just keep adding things and making a superior network

like I love these things https://store.ubnt.com/collections/wireless/products/unifi-ap-in-wall

so cool

pretty sure you can just use whatever router your ISP gives you and just disable its wifi.

people who are in the US, sign up for the Ubiquiti beta store and you can see the wacky stuff they're thinking of releasing. Right now it's LED lights for drop ceilings, but powered by PoE.

They had an extremely cool and good solar panel with a lithium battery integrated into it and PoE out which they were selling for mad cheap, and they just haven't released it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jimmy Carter posted:

pretty sure you can just use whatever router your ISP gives you and just disable its wifi.

people who are in the US, sign up for the Ubiquiti beta store and you can see the wacky stuff they're thinking of releasing. Right now it's LED lights for drop ceilings, but powered by PoE.

They had an extremely cool and good solar panel with a lithium battery integrated into it and PoE out which they were selling for mad cheap, and they just haven't released it.

lol 24-port light switch

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jimmy Carter posted:

https://www.frontrow.com/

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

if you can get to a root shell on your openelec box try the following:
sestatus
ls -laZ /mnt/externaldrive
(where /mnt/externaldrive is the mount point on the openelec box for the external drive)

if selinux is set to enforcing, the samba server on the openelec box might not have access to read the share. you can fix this by either
A) changing the selinux context on the external drive with semanage fcontext -a -t samba_share_t "/mnt/externaldrive(/.*)?" and then restorecon -R -v /mnt/externaldrive
B) allow samba to read any file on the server with setsebool -P samba_export_all_ro 1, or read and write any file with setsebool -P samba_export_all_rw 1
also both of these are "permanent" which means they persist across reboots

if selinux is set to disabled or permissive, then none of that will do anything. if kodi can access it locally, try entering a different username/password when you mount the share on your mac, like for instance the kodi account's username and password

Thank for for the help but that was all a bit over my head. I ended up changing the filesystem to exFAT and it worked. :confused:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Never Use An Apple File System

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Captain Foo posted:

lol 24-port light switch

meh, IOT light switches "require" installation by an electrician, and are still subject to the instabilities of xigbee or wifi. "EOT" (PoE) lights can be installed by a low voltage contractor and won't have the same issues with wireless signalling.

it's still ridiculously overpriced and dumb compared to conventional led lighting solutions but at least the niche isn't completely without reason

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Shaggar posted:

nfsv4

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

weirdly smb/cifs has unix extensions to more closely match posix semantics

there is also nfs, the original unix network share protocol, but there is no reason not to use cifs for linux<=>linux filesharing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CrazyLittle posted:

gpon ain't too bad

its great when you're the first person on the node but you're still sharing bandwidth with the neighbors. See what your ISPs policy is for minimum throughput before they split one up. Mine is 500mbit which its plenty good for my need and see 800+ for most of the day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hifi posted:

it looks like it used to be a pizza hut

real estate office, actually

commercial metal walls and roof, metal screens, and that front door is steel core and weighs about 100 lbs with two fat deadbolts

this place is extremely faraday cage

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

real estate office, actually

commercial metal walls and roof, metal screens, and that front door is steel core and weighs about 100 lbs with two fat deadbolts

this place is extremely faraday cage

that's interesting. was your building a house when you bought it, or did you convert it from an office yourself?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
what color car is least likely to get hit by an driverless ai

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

simple: any color that doesn't exist in nature

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that's interesting. was your building a house when you bought it, or did you convert it from an office yourself?

nah its been converted for decades. there's a 1987 NRA sticker stuck on the door. my neighbor's been here for 35 years and a chill old feller lived in here for a long time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

The color of your sex life

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

hunting orange or neon pink then?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Corla Plankun posted:

edit whoops hit post too soon

i'm more interested in the color more likely to provoke an AI driver attack

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 12, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hunting orange or neon pink then?

whatever color a fire truck isn’t

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

whatever color a semi truck isn’t

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
watching the film when he should’ve been watching the trailer etc.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

watching the film when he should’ve been watching the trailer etc.

:rip: jayne mansfield

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
when i was like 12 years old and looking at boobs in AOL it crashed and Windows 98 said "This program has performed an illegal operation" and i thought the Internet Police were notified and were gonna come and find me for clicking Yes to are you over 18 :ohdear:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

and ur just NOW asking the computer problem thread???? drat.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Alpha Mayo posted:

when i was like 12 years old and looking at boobs in AOL it crashed and Windows 98 said "This program has performed an illegal operation" and i thought the Internet Police were notified and were gonna come and find me for clicking Yes to are you over 18 :ohdear:

ur hosed mate

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alpha Mayo posted:

i'm not sure you should be on the something awful forums if you're only 12 years old

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

When I was like 15 years old I was reading video game forums on the school library computer and got a 403 FORBIDDEN error just as the librarian walked by and she kicked me out for "trying to go to FORBIDDEN SITES"

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I just need reassurance.

I dumped my Gigabyte Z97 motherboard for a Dell C226 board. The thing is the backplate made me use a cheap thermaltake cpu fan since the stock one won’t fit. So it’s idling at 47c which is a little high. That doesn’t warrant a repaste does it? It’s got a Xeon under it so overclocking is literally impossible anyway.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd redo it just to make sure but i have ocd

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Laslow posted:

I just need reassurance.

I dumped my Gigabyte Z97 motherboard for a Dell C226 board. The thing is the backplate made me use a cheap thermaltake cpu fan since the stock one won’t fit. So it’s idling at 47c which is a little high. That doesn’t warrant a repaste does it? It’s got a Xeon under it so overclocking is literally impossible anyway.

check the fan profile, it could be off until it hits 50

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I’m pretty sure it’s on full blast since it’s missing the fifth pin that the weird Dell sensor uses. In which case, yeah I should reseat and repaste it. It’s running a little hotter than a stock HSF. I think that’s a legit cause for concern, not just ocd. Thanks, guys.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im working on a little server c2d ting now and it's so old that i think the bios is bitflipped somewhere; it only sees -85C in bios for the CPU temp and accordingly shits its pants and 100%'s the fan

I had a 'quiet adapter' for 4pin from my other build so just used that. it rolls around 1800 rpm and seems to keep it pretty happy. shrug

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

I had a 'quiet adapter' for 4pin from my other build so just used that.

i have a fistful of those + the Y cables if you want more

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
idling at 47c doesn't matter at all. if it's getting super hot under full load that's more cause for concern, but even then unless it starts throttling itself you're fine.

on my computer i got annoyed with vibration noise from the cpu fan (the brackets holding it to the heatsink were buzzing) so i just said "gently caress it" and mounted the fan directly to the case vent a couple inches away. it's a big old noctua heatsink so it's fine.

lol i remember one time someone asked me for help figuring out why their computer was running so intermittently dogshit slow. i eventually figured out the heatsink wasn't mounted right so sometimes it'd come a bit loose and the cpu was throttling itself big time. first time i'd seen a CPU registering 100+C before lol

worked just fine after we unfucked that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got an old c2d blackbook to 88c once

I sadly did not see any serious poo poo